Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I freaking love video games, and posting about video games and making jokes. It genuinely surprises me that many Games posters who presumably do the same thing as me for 12+ hours a day post insanely negative stuff all the time about how terrible games are. To me, they are all pretty good and I'm thankful to be living in a time period in human history where the coolness of video games has been realized, and I think we can all agree that the only truly bad games are Dark Souls and Obsidian's entire catalogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Buck Turgidson posted:

I've got some serious RTS-lust right now... need some help

It's like a switch went off in my brain and I have this uncontrollable urge to play WC3, but I can't find my CDs

If by some chance you have your cd keys lying around somewhere, you can now register War3 toyour Bnet account and download the game whenever.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's cool that games like Assassin's Creed with really good graphics and high production values exist, but after 10 hours of any given AC game you kind of get your fill of everything it has to offer and that's about all you're gonna get for the next 30-40 it takes to finish the main storyline. The gameplay is definitely in need of a revamp RE4 revolution style.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

What do people use nowadays for recording video on PC, is Fraps still the king of that particular mountain

I've tried Shadowplay but it didn't seem to recognize Hearthstone :(

If you play Hearthstone windowed you have to tell Geforce Experience to record your desktop, not an app.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

lol at sharing your rage-coping techniques for playing toys made for children. count to ten! punch a pillow! hahaaaa lmao

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I played New Vegas for like 10 hours, got bored to death of the endless brown/tan color palette + bad graphics + bugged out everything, and gave up on it. What people see in that game or the Fallout series as a whole is one big mystery.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

I didn't mean that as an endorsement. I think the latest Assassin's Creed and Far Cry installments are a far bigger indictment of Ubisoft's "strategy" of "poo poo out open world games as fast as possible, quality be damned" than anything I could type.

What's wrong with FC4? I hear Unity has had its problems but Far Cry 4 impressions seem to be "more of the same, but better" and for people who like that kind of game I guess that's okay for them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's hard to recommend very long RPGs to anyone, because for me at least, they take forever to get going and it's always easy to lose focus. New Vegas, Witcher, the original Dragon Age all bored me to death with their brown/green color palettes and by the numbers fantasy exploration. The Mass Effect series while not strictly an RPG is very well-paced comparatively speaking and the plot is involving right away. Space is also cooler than brown forests and deserts. I think you can buy the whole trilogy for like $15 on Origin and that's easily 100+ hours of content even if you're rushing at super speed through everything. Just be prepared to use console cheats for the first game as its combat & inventory system is very outdated.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Any combat system that uses D&D rules is going to be bad, the best thing you can say about NWN is that there are mods to make it less bad. But even then, it's bad.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

In general, most people will enjoy their game purchases and in fact life itself more if they don't read or care about the opinions of insanely negative goons. This is how I manage to enjoy almost all games I play, because I seek to find something fun and amusing within it, along with the perspective that playing video games for hours on end is a luxury enjoyed by relatively few. This has worked with almost everything except Fallout New Vegas, the boringest and worst goon-endorsed game of all time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Stux posted:

same actually. i like a lot of games goons say are terrible and find a lot of games goons really like are awful. i guess the take away is that goons are awful and should be destroyed.

here are some essentials for good games:

- good, colorful graphics
- should be pretty easy
- plot needs to be interesting within the first 30min
- should be SHORT, or at the very least, easy to complete
- player should know where to go next at all times
- next to no inventory management

Do these things, and thee shall have a good game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Hog Inspector posted:

i would rather dark souls didnt exist because then there wouldnt be two pages of dark souls every time someone namedrops it

Dark Souls, an okay game, but not as good as Gone Home or the ending to Mass Effect 3.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Alain Post posted:

The ending of Mass Effect 3 is incredibly good.

Like many I thought they were whack at first, but for the amount of hilarious goonrage they caused, they are now, without exaggeration, awesome.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Alain Post posted:

They changed it post-release because everyone hated it. There were lots of reasons for this, some of which were valid (because, yeah, they were really poorly written in part), and some of which were silly, so I don't really want to like, generalize the response or anything.

Control is a legit good endstate for Mass Effect and makes the most sense thematically. It would also result in the coolest post-Shepard galaxy, but most Bioware fans hate it because there's no possibility of marrying Tali as they do in their dreams. So for the next game we'll probably get some combination of Destroy and Synthesis at the starting line, assuming they reference the endings at all.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Alain Post posted:

The thing that makes the most sense thematically in all three endings was blowing up the Mass Relays, which people also hated. I believe the endings specifically show the relays being reconstructed in the EC, which I hate and it's complete bullshit. God drat.

I always thought the ending to the whole series was going to come down to the mass relays themselves, rather than synthetics vs. organics. A choice where Destroy kills the Reapers but also all the relays while Control preserves them but at the ominous cost of maintaining the cycle would have been a more natural fit. Anyway this conversation has been had a million times, but out of what we got, a God-Shepard roaming around the galaxy as a scary-rear end arbiter of peace is definitely the coolest option.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

VideoGames posted:

everyone does threads/articles where they poo poo on stuff. arent we tired of that? wouldnt it be far more interesting to read threads where people talk about games they like, no matter what game, if they gave full on proper reasons? wy we gotta be so negative? this life is great and there are so many games to enjoy

I'm replaying the original Mass Effect now, which is a really good game. But the way I play ME is a little different than most. The way I play it is "did I make a good Shepard face?" simulator, which I then spend the next 30 hours traversing across the cosmos and different dialogue/lighting environments trying to figure out. If I have succeeded, I then promote that face to Mass Effect 2, and so on. I think my current Shepard is my finest work yet, although the lips are a tad too big.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I've liked or greatly liked every game I bought this year. A good year for video games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

VideoGames posted:

self preservation of the reapers.
war is about making tough choices, but that who we want saving the galaxy.

the way the game played out for me, it makes a lot of sense.

Leaving the indoctrination theory aside for a moment which is interesting but not really supported, imho, I think Control makes a lot of thematic sense as the Paragon option because the entire galaxy has relied on Shepard to unite them, to mediate conflicts, to bring about the peace that was the original intent of the reaper's programming. So in becoming the reapers himself, Shepard basically ascends to godhood and becomes the alpha and the omega, giver of life and angel of death, as he has continually done over the course of the series. It's weird but I think it fits and also creates an ominous future where the unknowable Machine God ever looms over the sentient races. This, in my opinion, is a coolass setting for a video game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Diablo 3 owns and while it's super uncool to admit this, it's probably my favorite game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ekster posted:

How is the HotS community? I really enjoyed Dota 2 on a strictly gameplay level but I've never seen a community that toxic in a multiplayer videogame before, and I have fairly thick skin. None of my friends play MOBAs otherwise I would just play with them. I played it for quite a while until I started noticing I got increasingly irritated over a dumb videogame I play for my supposed enjoyment.

It's a MOBA, which means by default it's going to attract the absolute dregs of the internet. Retards are inevitable.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Something you have to acknowledge once you play any MOBA is that they are all universally terrible games for terrible people who couldn't handle the challenge of controlling more than one unit at a time or planning for their future (also the reason why most Dota players are unemployed). You might think you have the fortitude to stand above the fray, but the corruption is absolute. You will gradually become an idiot yourself, at a rate too subtle to notice outright, but the day will come where you are indistinguishable from the rest. The only winning move, is not to play.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

HotS is all right I suppose, it at least acknowledges that the only fun part about MOBAs is PvP and the games are over quick. Not really something I could ever get into.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Is there a GTA equivalent of the redshirt fat kid from Blizzcon? Because this is it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Lightning Returns honestly looks kind of...good? I've never played an FF game on PC, are the ports decent? I hear you need a good system to run them well, and mine is pretty good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I just realized... I forgot about Dre.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That game looks neat, but...can you also gently caress the alien species you find? If not, then I don't really see the lasting value of it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

How will sharing worlds with other players work if the whole thing is procedurally generated. Like, supposing I find a unique planet populated with hot alien babes, will only I be able to gently caress them or can I share them with people on my friends list?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Well there appears to be no release date and no confirmed platforms, which probably means they will run out of money at some point and just put out another one of the two dozen empty space sims already on the market. Derek Smart needs to come in and show these jokers how it's done.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Replaying through all the Mass Effects right now, I never bought any of the ME3 DLC or the extended cut but I feel (hope) that it is a more complete game with it. The combat in ME1 is really whack by today's standards but this is the most Bae custom face I've ever made in a Bioware game so I'm inclined to continue.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Stux posted:

indie teams have produced some amazing stuff, and what they have shown so far is actual gameplay footage. the latest video had a shot of the controller at the end at the PSX stream. even if they only released what was shown so far, id be in. its procedural stuff so a large amount of content is definitely doable by a small team like this.

I think it'd be fun for awhile but the only way it could have some lasting appeal to me beyond the pretty graphics is if plots were allowed to develop, like this starship from whatever galaxy introduced an invasive giant insect species and now they're assimilating this entire sector of space, stuff like that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ahundredbux posted:

It's probably because I'm not very invested in the Mass Effect series, but the ending thing felt like a overreaction as if it diminished the whole long and beloved journey.

I think the fixation on the ending was an overspecific reaction to the whole second half of the game in general, which was really rushed and lacked focus. While ultimately I think ME3 fell short at the end, I do think it failed in an interesting way, and the downright suicidal 8000 word goon treatises written about it will always be funny.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I've played the first Mass Effect at least three times already so it's NBD, if you just console cheat your way to the best guns + armor you can mow through the not-so-good combat sections and enjoy the thrill of seeing your custom Shepard face in a wide array of dynamic lightning environments.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ddraig posted:

Mass Effect 2 was great. Just forget the other two exist.

Shepherd destroyed the reaper, the end.

All the Mass Effects are various shades of good to great, and Control is actually the best + most interesting ending.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ahundredbux posted:

I liked the combat in the second one, almost makes me wanna play that 3rd person Xcom game to get that without all the story-stuff

If you liked the combat in ME2 then you should def. buy ME3 for the multiplayer. It's addicting, way better than even ME2 and there are still a lot of people who play it for some reason. ME3 is also on sale for like 6bux now on Origin so why not??

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ddraig posted:

Mass Effect 2 has Mordin doing Gilbert and Sullivan. Clearly it is the best.

When he starts singing it in ME3 while implementing the genophage cure...the feels. :cry:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Kai Leng IS a pretty stupid character, trying to think up some strategies for how I can mentally block him out of the plot when I replay ME3.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Alain Post posted:

The flaws in the ending (and I *like* the ending) were clearly things that resulted from high-level failures in project management- it felt rushed, and it didn't connect well enough to the rest of the game. There was a story of I think the lead writers (or directors, didn't remember) locking themselves into a room and hammering out the ending- this was portrayed as egotism by a lot of the community, but that isn't a sign of egotism- it's a sign of panic. It's what you do when the game's shipping soon and you still don't have a working ending.

The game was obviously rushed and that's on the project directors- but at the same time, it was funny to see people call for the firing of Walters/Hudson when they were the same people who made Mass Effect 2, which everyone liked. Sometimes competent people gently caress up.

As I recall the writing team was spinning their wheels having scrapped the leaked Dark Energy script (which was equally bad) and R/G/B was what they came up with on what was probably a lot of coke and no sleep. Then much as a child breaks his toys when they displease him, so did goons turn upon their beloved franchise's creators with pages and pages of bitter wistfulness and homicidal ideation. It's kind of a shame ME3 was as rushed as it was, you can very easily see where they had to cut corners, but many of the individual moments were great.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Stux posted:

how about : play a better game

The problem is: There are only, like, 5 games better than Mass Effect 3 and I don't feel like playing any of them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Alain Post posted:

My favorite behavior was treating every singe action or statement by anyone involved with the game as a personal insult (the most common phrasing was "this is a slap in the face"). I also learned that anyone on the forum, or any forum, who had one of the blue sex alien ladies as their avatar, was loving psychotic.

Haha yes, let's all have good chuckle at the Tali sweat guy, what a loser right? Now, if you'll allow me to post a highly detailed explanation of what I believe happens physiologically when you mindfuck an asari.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

AwkwardKnob posted:

Hey guys, it's been a while. Some 2800+ posts since I was last in here wailing and gnashing my teeth about the ending and how the extended cut wasn't really much better but was sort of like having a better CHASER to take your shot of Mallort with, but I digress.

Yesterday I was taking a break from playing the Walking Dead game (which is a lot of fun actually) and noticed my copy of Mass Effect 3 sitting unused and forgotten on the shelf. I decided to take a look at the DLC out for this game since the extended ending cut, and I saw there was Leviathian, a poo poo-ton of multiplayer things, and the Omega stuff, etc etc

Well I thought long and hard about firing the game up and getting all that DLC just to check it all out. It's been months and I haven't really worried about Mass Effect in any way, and ....nope. It was the final test of my spirit yesterday, and the spirit has failed me. I officially just no longer care about playing this series. I know I'm just some guy on the Internet to all of you, but lots of my friends who know me are aware of how gay I was for Mass Effect all the way up through most of the third one when I had first played it. Never in a million years back then would I have ever wagered that my enjoyment of it all could have been dismantled so much.

But here I am. I traded in my copy of Mass Effect 2 and 3 and took the cash and bought Chipotle for lunch. It was a lot of fun coming in here when ME3 came out first. We had some laughs, some cries, and it was an enjoyable journey for the most part. But you know, I've played through ME2 like a dozen times, and I really don't need it anymore, and I have no interest in playing ME3 again. So that's that.

I'm glad most of you can enjoy yourselves still, or for some reason still enjoy coming in here to bitch about it, but I'm going to move on to greener pastures of gaming and try something new.

Farewell Mass Effect. Always in my heart, Shep. Despite what they did to you.

• Locked thread