Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Buck Wildman posted:

should've gotten her the rome pandemic, where the disease is foreigners

Or the one where the disease is water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I can never remember if Flamme Rouge or Leader 1 is the bike game you want

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Infinitum posted:

Castles of Burgundy and Royal Visit turned up today, and now I am having a very real problem of ~Where the gently caress am I going to put everything~

Burgundy can go directly into the trash where it belongs with all Feld games.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

finished Pandemic Legacy Season 0 with one loss, by far the best of the series in story and gameplay.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I have lived in Singapore and I would play the poo poo out of that game.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

Wait, what's the ideal number then? 5?

with BSG I wouldn't play without exactly 5 players, so likely also 5 with Unfathomable.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

I can't be bothered to figure out how to post pictures on the forums nowadays, I packed most of my games so imagine a shelf with Connect Four and Formula D on it.

if you use awful app posting images is much easier

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

alcaras posted:

Months behind, but really enjoying Wingspan.

how many times have you played, and roughly what percentage of your/other players actions were "lay eggs?"

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

pointsofdata posted:

We've only played a few times, but people in my group normally only go hard on egg laying in the final round

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's a sign of an imperfect game where everyone's final 5 turns should be doing the same action. Though I'll chose to play Wingspan over plenty of other games.

if I remember correctly the final round is....4 of 22 total turns per player? I remember it bleeding in to the second to final round too. that's a lot of the game spent doing the "take points" action.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

Instead of selling it, just replace the parts bit by bit over time. Eventually you'll hvave a new game.

I appreciated this reference, even though I did not like Theseus

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

Anyone know if the Darkest Dungeon boardgame is good?

the pledge manager is still live, so...no one's played it yet.

https://gamefound.com/projects/mythic-games/darkest-dungeon-the-board-game#/section/pledges-1996

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

Las Vegas is just something everyone likes and is always a hit.

It’s the best party / super lightweight game I’ve ever played.

Automatically goes in the bag if not traveling with/to board game people.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Old Dun Cow posted:

I'm missing a legit "board game" in the box, but I haven't found something that will fit, I like and can teach quickly. I also don't have an agility game.

depending on your definition of legit, stuff from my collection providing outsized gameplay to containment size:

Intrigue (super mean)
Fleet
Mini Rails
Oh My Goods
Modern Art

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

armorer posted:

Is it available anywhere in the US at the moment? I guess it would be easy to proxy if not, if the counts of the different dollar value cards are publicly available anywhere.

just looked in the rulebook:

5 x 60, 70, 80, 90
6 x 10, 40, 50
8 x 20, 30

EDIT: also the expansion adds 5 x 100 as a module.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

armorer posted:

Thanks, so really just two decks of cards and a bunch of dice would be sufficient to proxy everything. Is there anything else to the expansion besides the 100k cards?

the expansion is many variants you can mix and match into the game, but none require components beyond more cards or more dice.

the rules are here:

https://www.ravensburger.de/content...oulevard_EN.pdf

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Admiralty Flag posted:

Never played an auction game until last weekend, when I played both Ra and Medici. Any recommendations for easier-to-get/more contemporary offerings in the genre? If it matters, my wife and I preferred Ra by a bit.

Modern Art
The Estates
Keyflower

are I think the gold standards of auction games.

I played the new KS release Brick & Mortar over the weekend and really enjoyed it, bunch of auctions in there.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

SiKboy posted:

mindless violins

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

habituallyred posted:

Invited over to play Monopoly Deal. Was my reflexively crossing myself an overreaction? Is it actually a fun game, unlike the Landlord's Game aka Monopoly?

I've heard very good things about it as a simple fast fun filler game, and for the $8-12 it costs I dunno why I haven't bought it yet.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

7 Wonders is bad because at 3-4 players there are many many better games and at 5+ it is effectively random.

Duel is great.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

KingKapalone posted:

Took four years but we finally finished Pandemic Season 2. Thinking if we want to get Season 0.

I enjoyed seasons 1-2 very much but neither holds a candle to the gameplay or storytelling of season 0.

Season 0 is extremely worth your time.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Radioactive Toy posted:

where the Chancellor could not win with the current board state, but the two Exile players following her both would win at the beginning of their respective turns. She could potentially stop one from winning but not both, and the first exile could not stop the second.

It’s been a couple months but I think this is exactly what happened in our first game of Oath. I didn’t realize that was a common issue with / discussion topic about the game.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Eraflure posted:

Earnestly enjoying an unsanctionned game in the board game thread, are we? Tsk tsk tsk

it's really made clear how unfriendly this thread has become in the last few months.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Feels like y’all are over complicating this.

Have a section called “if you’re new to modern board games” and gather the lists I’ve seen in the last couple pages. Stick to the easier stuff.

Have a section called “if you’ve played a few++ modern board games” that says “tell us what you like and what you liked about it and we’ll take it from there.”

That’s all you need.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

cultural appropriation

while this is top of mind it sure would be nice if mostly European designers stopped theming games based on non-European cultures. I'm looking at you

Targi
Ra
Goa
Bora Bora
Tikal
Ghost Stories
Takenoko
Vanuatu
At the Gates of Loyang
Gugong
Tekhenu
Rajas of the Ganges
Holi
Maharaja
Jaipur
Teotihuacan
Aztec
T'zolkin
Tigris & Euphrates
Nippon
The Great Wall
Santiago
Agra
Taj Mahal
Trade on the Tigris
The Great Zimbabwe
Imhotep

this is just off the top of my head + the BGG top 400. I left off some obvious games about European interactions with non-European cultures.

as the hobby grows it would be nice if these names/themes were available to designers from those regions or with the right context/connection to them.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Pretty sure they're not posting in good faith.

I am posting in good faith as a person of Indian heritage.

Slimy Hog posted:

I don't agree with this take. It's fine to design games about a culture you're not part of as long as you take care to be respectful and get input from those who ARE part of that culture.

I’m curious which, if any, of the designers of the games I listed did so.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Triskelli posted:

I can’t say that any of the games you’ve listed that went through a sensitivity pass, but John Company and Pax Pamir are notably missing from your list & are thread favorites. Do they pass the grade?

I left John Company out among others because it’s explicitly about the manipulations Europeans perpetrated against other cultures.

Thematically I separate that from “I’m going to call this route building game Taj Mahal.”

Pax Pamir is tougher because it attempts to model a response to European manipulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

extremely well done OP