Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Lord Frisk posted:

I was near Wilmington but traveled over to Cape Fear. It appears NC just had a bunch of stuff going on.

NC has a metric fuckton of colleges in its larger cities. The Charlotte area alone has around 20 colleges, not including for-profits like Charlotte School of Law. Greensboro has at least 6 that I can think of off-hand, not including for-profit colleges or GTCC. So there is a large influx of nerdy youngish kids relative to a lot of regions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Fungah! posted:

Yeah cats and maybe dogs are OK as long as the place doesn't smell like animals, but rodents are pretty much right out

Ferrets aren't rodents, they are closer to Weasels than anything else. That being said, they DO smell and they DO poo poo.....a lot. Like a whole metric fuckton of animal feces every day. If you don't clean out their cage, that poo poo is rank. Look, I have a ferret, they are adorable, inquisitive, fun loving balls of energy when awake, and absolutely adorable when asleep. But by no means do they have a place in a retail business that is not a pet store.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Lichtenstein posted:

Talisman with Nickelback.

For once, I think someone is being to hard on Nickelback.

I would listen to them on repeat for 4 hours if it got me out of playing a game of Talisman.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

Now imagine having to play them again, knowing, deep down, that it's your own bloody fault.

I'm exaggerating, obviously, and I'm happy for having convinced other people to try the hobby. Good games can be introduced later, and an hour of barely paying attention to whatever happens in the table while drinking with friends isn't going to kill me.

I hope.

Just play kingmaker. The correct way to play munchkin is to choose a person, and spend all your cards and assistance helping that one person to win. The fewer turns it takes for that person to win, the better you did. It's like playing a traitor game in reverse.

edit-Just remember, the true objective of Munchkin is to get it over with as quickly as possible.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Tekopo posted:

This was my plan all along, I had a shadowy past and was playing the long con. It's too late now.

Are you......Rutibex?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Heh, I came into the hobby through Magic the Gathering. A game store opened up across the street from where I went to High School. So after school me and a few of the nerdier people from school would go there and game. In between rounds of magic I got introduced to other TCG's like Warlord and LO5R, and Catan, Tsuro, and every lovely Steve Jackson game under the sun....Munchkin, NInja Burger, S.P.A.N.C. (dear God loving S.P.A.N.C.). The store lasted about a year before going under, and I didn't play many board games for a few years until I moved back to my home city after college and met up with some of my gamer friends, and they started me on Agricola and Caylus and a myriad of other board games. I still hate Agricola, but Caylus has definitely grown on me as have a lot of Euros, especially Ground Floor, not a very well known one but certainly a favorite of mine.

Also, if I ever see S.P.A.N.C. in someone's game collection, I am leaving their game night and never going back.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

None that are out yet. I have a kickstarter for a game called Final Attack! that should hopefully be live by the end of next week. The cat is now officially out of the bag.

Final Attack! is a real-time cooperative social worker placement card game with a board. (Seriously.) It scales cleanly from 1-5 players and takes 20-30 minutes to play. In the game, you pilot component machines to a combining anime Super Robot, and you fight giant nigh-invincible shapeshifting mechanical beasts that can only be defeated by your TV show finisher, the Final Attack, which unfortunately takes an entire episode to charge.

Here's a short (6 minute) video that lightly describes how the game is played:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M23iDH1BI8

Once the campaign goes live, this thread will literally be the first to know. In the meantime, I'm willing to answer any questions or address any concerns.
Well....poo poo.......guess I didn't need money anyway.

Definitely interested, I have a few friends I am pretty sure I can rope into playing this. Couple of questions for ya though:

1) What is the expected price point of the game?

2) Assuming your Kickstarter meets its goal, what timeframe could we expect the game to be distributed (within reason, I know you aren't clairvoyant)

3) Most of my playgroup is into competitive Euros with theme being an almost irrelevant afterthought, like your avatar's game, Caylus, what, if anything about Final Attack will appeal to them?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

MildManeredManikin posted:

Oh yeah I understand why some anime stuff is Bad, but it seems fairly easy to distinguish what is and isn't.

Like, people complained about Tragedy Looper being too anime and oversexualized and as far as I can tell it wasn't at all.

Yeah I think the most scantily clad female character is the Alien, and she's wearing shorts and and a sleeveless white shirt, nothing horribly revealing or demeaning. But I know plenty of people who won't even try Tragedy Looper because of the artwork.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

Good Answers to My Questions

Ok excellent, I guess my next question is when will the Kickstarter page go up?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

So my group has mined the included scripts with Tragedy Looper so I am working on getting a few together, and wanted to see what people thought of this one I put together. I haven't played it yet, but I'm more interested in seeing if anyone sees any glaring issues with it before I try running it:

"Custom Script:Ingenue Rising" posted:

Plots:
Main Plot:Sealed Item
SubPlots:Hidden Freak, Unknown Factor X
Boss's Turf-Hospital
Loops 4(normal) 5(easy)

Cast/Role:
Doctor
Patient-Brain
Nurse
Boss-Friend
Police Officer
Informer
Rich Man's Daughter-Serial Killer
Mystery Boy-Key Person
Class Rep
Girl Student
Henchman-Unknown Factor X
Shrine Maiden-Cultist

Days/Incidents/Culprits
1:Butterfly Effect/Henchman
2:Foul Evil/Patient
3:Hospital Incident/Doctor
4:Murder/Shrine Maiden
5:Suicide/Nurse
6:Murder/Rich Man's Daughter

Plot Summary:

A wrinkled note written with impeccable handwriting is slid into your pocket. A shadowy figure darts off into the distance. Intrigued you unfold the note, it reads:
"I have no right to ask for help from anyone, but I fear I have no recourse but to beg for your assistance. I have a daughter, whom I loved dearly, but her actions have shocked me to the core and she must be taken out before she ascends to power. I controlled a large criminal syndicate, sedate in our money, our gambling, our drugs. My daughter, however is a savage and will make the city run red with blood if not stopped. She has many contacts, either blackmailed or bribed into submission, or terrorized into loyalty and compliance. Stop her, before it is to late..."

Thoughts? Criticisms? Suggestions?

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 2, 2015

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Social Dissonance posted:

It seems like it may be too difficult. With 12 characters a

It seems like an amazing setup for the mastermind...but it might be nearly impossible to win outside of the final guess. I think even with 4 loops you will likely be able to keep the hidden factor hidden with all of the ways to win. It would come down to the final guess, and so long as the friend isn't revealed, I doubt they'll figure it out in time for the final guess. Please post your results when you play it.

Hmm, Ill cut the Class Rep. All the other characters have good abilities for the characters to use to deduce roles or manage paranoia. If it still ends up being to hard, I'll try cutting the Butterfly Effect Incident.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

LuiCypher posted:

Isn't the Dice Tower just a massive scam wherein Vasel and Co. get games for free from idiotic clever publishers?

I mean, more power to him if so. If I could hatch a scheme where I get review copies of a game for free, I would seriously do it. But he got there first, so :smith:

Take every opportunity to play a new game you can, from trash games like Exploding Kitten to Euro games, to Amerithrash, whatever you can. Immediately after playing a game and putting it up, record yourself talking about the game after dumping the pieces on a table. There, you can join the elite pantheon of board game reviewers.

edit-It is mandatory you do no prep or practice for your review. Make sure it is entirely off-the-cuff, with no rehearsal behind it whatsoever.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

EBag posted:

And don't forget to make up inane top 10 lists every few days where you can cleverly recycle your top 50 games in new and exciting ways.

How could I forget about the inane Top 10 Lists....

I'll give you your first list topic Top Ten Dog Games, these are Boardgames where a major component or mechanic involves canines.

Make sure to spend over an hour on the video for this list, and not to actually write the list down anywhere so that people will watch your video

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Sistergodiva posted:

You know what freaks me out about Vasel and the annoying fat(ter) ADD guy is? They seem really creepily christian, this creeps me out so much as someone from a almost completely secular nation.

Like that Sam dude talks about never having played and never going to play a warlock class in one game because it's apparently unchristian.

Or him or Vasel (I forget) saying that he considers "shut up" to be a swear word he and his kids don't use. Also Vasels kids being homeschooled.

Sam just feels like a huge duchebag lipservice christian RAWH RAWH wearing "funny" christian t-shirts.

As a previous poster said though, I like checking out review for games when I'm at work or otherwise bored, and dice tower has pretty much everything.

I live in the American South, and thats just something I'm used to. I've played DND with people who wouldn't play a Magic-using class because Sorcery is ungodly. I've seen all the "funny" Christian shirts constantly. Heck I know full grown adults who still refuse to say "shut up" or "that sucks" because they are swear words. I don't think its creepy, just really, really, really dumb. If I wasn't inundated in it, I am pretty sure I would find it creepier than I do, but I'm just so used to that nonsense I barely noticed.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Impermanent posted:

The best thing about the south is the stories you have to tell people about it after you've escaped.

No the best part of the South, at least my corner of the South, is Cheerwine, Pulled Pork Barbecue (Vinegar Base), and Baptist churches selling Brunswick Stew.

I say this as a liberal Atheist, but dear God, Brunswick Stew almost makes the hyper-Christians worthwhile.

Echophonic posted:

I've never found Zee (the other guy in the top 10s) all that offensive, he's better than Vasel or Sam at explaining why he likes something.

I'll agree with you here. I still don't think he is all that good at it, but he is a far sight better than Vasel and both Vasel and Zee are much easier to tolerate than the Hyper-Christian, Uber-Grognard Stereotype given flesh that is Sam.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 2, 2015

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Nobody answered this so I guess I will. I'll start by saying that I don't find Archipelago to be very fiddly. Now I define fiddly basically by "how much poo poo do you have to look up/potentially forget?", not by weight of game. So for example Arkham Horror is a very fiddly game because you can forget that the Terror Track has closed the shops, or that you were supposed to get a dollar because you have a special piece of equipment, or whatever. Some people use "fiddly" as synonymous with game weight, but I don't believe in that. If things are distinctly phased, well laid-out and easily referenced then that, to me, is not fiddly.

The real issue with Archipelago is that there's just a lot you can do, and unlike the designer's previous game, Earth Reborn, there isn't a teaching scenario that introduces core mechanics and then builds on them. You get the full action disk at your first game, all the tiles, all the economic stuff. That makes the first game kind of intimidating. There's also the aforementioned "tragedy of the commons" element where players are given a shitload of leeway to be stupid and greedy enough to gently caress the game into an unwinnable state for everyone. It's one of those games that needs a skillful teacher and the right kind of player. I do think that everyone should try it at least once, because it's a great example of a boardgame that rewards soft skills and knowing when to help and hurt people over "beep boop I am a worker placement robot, solve for x" gameplay.

Archipelago is great because I get to be a dick and say that I'm way behind everyone else and convince the rest of the table to pay for me in a crisis. That is easily the best part of the game.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Mojo Jojo posted:

I've only played King of New York once and I've got no real desire to play again. At least it was fairly fast I suppose.

The winner got lucky and then snowballed to victory. I didn't see much to indicate that that was an unusual outcome.

King of New York is Kaiju Yahtzee. It is a light game where your decisions at least matter, not as much as the die roll mind you, but at least they matter somewhat. Its a great beginner game because it is simple, and though someone really good at the game is more likely to win, the dice keep the experience advantage to a minimum. Its not a game I would choose to play frequently, but when coaxing people with fragile newbie egos into the hobby, its great.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Arnm616 posted:

I have recently been getting into board gaming and have been slowly introducing new friend groups to a few different games. I'm at the point now where I have a consistent 6-8 people who want to meet every week or so and the game that has been best received so far is 7 Wonders. My friends love 7 Wonders but I am getting a bit burned out on it so I'm looking for something else to add to my collection that can scale easily from 3-7 players, is fairly easy to learn but tough to master, and has some variety to it. Any suggestions?

Unfortunately, 7+ is a tough number, there are a few Euro's that support 6 players, Ground Floor, Agricola, Caverna. However most boardgames have a range of somewhere between 2-5 players, so its almost always best just to split the table, as has been previously mentioned.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Early Vlaada rulebooks are notoriously bad, but hilarious.

FTFY

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Castles of Burgundy is the prime example of dice being used well by allowing you do roll them then decide your actions, not roll to see if your actions work.

Quantum is another example of dice used well in a game, hell the whole game is D6's.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

So my playgroup has now instituted the use of chess clocks in Caylus. I highly recommend it, it makes the game incredibly frantic as you recklessly jockey for position and resources.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Lord Frisk posted:

Every game should come with a timer

Honestly, I really want to do that anytime we play a Euro strategy game. It really cuts down on the AP all my gamer friends have.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I probably wouldn't play with less than four, with three or fewer I think you have to start controlling multiple species and the game already burns your brain enough controlling just one.

Dominant Species is 'swingy' in the sense that there can be big power plays that shift the tide considerably and net you a lot of points all at once, but it's all pretty cumulative. You're trying to set up those big plays and hinder your direct opponents from doing so simultaneously, you have to be planning in the long term and be able to adapt in the short term if someone manages to subvert your plans. So yeah, it's pretty strategic and the better players tend to dominate.

Dominant Species is swingy and mean. It is a very good game, but if you are one to get mad when someone kills all your animals in a hex, then this might not be the game for you. (Glaciation is a bitch)

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Lorini posted:

I just wish I could get a group to play...love the game and NEVER get to play it.

Heh, we have 2 copies floating around our play group and have had two full groups of 6 playing the game at the same time.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

FTJ posted:

I work in shipping and I don't doubt for a second the reason is US customs. You guys have the worst customs system in the western world.

We're also Number 1 in people incarcerated...U.S.A! U.S.A.! U.S.A.!

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Tightest grouping we've had in Caylus. 3 player game, first place was the black player with 72 points, Second place was the blue player(me) with 71 points and third place was the red player with 69 points. Also first time I've used the money track for anything, worked better than I thought it would.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 10, 2015

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Tekopo posted:

Good god, that's what BL is actually like? I TAKE BACK MY PLEDGE IMMEDIATELY

To be fair, he was arguing with a serious gaylord.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

BonHair posted:

I decided to check out The Dice Tower, and I hate these guys. I also disagree with them a lot. Their main arguments seem to be "fun", "theme" and "flavour". And that's mostly it. They never try to analyse what happens in a game, how the mechanics work or anything that would be helpful, except "they like it".
Have they done anything that is sensible and/or worth watching?

No. Pretty much the only good thing about them is how prolific they are. I often first hear about games by scrolling through their list of videos and checking out ones that seem like the game isn't Cthulutan Exploding Kitten Quest: Journey to Save Flutttershy and then look up the game elsewhere.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Just like Exploding Memes and Cards for Racism make me realize how unfair I've been to Catan, dice tower makes me appreciate SU&SD so much more.

This

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

sonatinas posted:

There really isn't a need for ad hominem attacks against them. They are really bad on their own. Maybe you can retheme Caverna as some sort of missionary/cultural brainwashing worker placement game and see how they review it.

They like Caverna. Tom likes it because he thinks its a more thematic Agricola and Sam likes it because he can pretend to be a dwarf. No idea bout Zee.

Also, where are you guys finding out he's quiverfull? I mean I wouldn't be surprised, but other than Sam's horrible shirts I never see them really ram to much religion down people's throats in their reviews. Like they mention if its a good game for Youth Group or for a Class, but that isn't really the same thing.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Aston posted:

I like boardgames and all but I can't understand how anyone could watch an hour+ unscripted video of top ten lists, no matter how well put together it was.

Eh, after you play enough strategy games, an hour is the same as 3 minutes.

But their top tens are horrible.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

For all of the quality issues of that video, the first 30 seconds are absolutely perfect.

Rahdo contacted me! I'm so excited!

hazzah, congrats dude

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'll probably pledge closer to the deadline. Not because I'm hesitant, but just because I don't want to forget that I have $50 spoken for and get hit by another overdraft or some poo poo.

Same thing here,I've had that happen once before.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Board gaming could learn a thing or two from chess-boxing.

I could get into Caylus-Boxing

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

ChiTownEddie posted:

Heres a random one:
What are the best micro type games that can be played in a bar/pub/public setting? Such as Love Letter and Timeline.

Skull, Love Letter

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Going back to an old topic, any recommendations on soundtracks for Tash Kalar? Castles of Mad Ludwig? BattleCON? I was thinking of something like that goofy Star Trek song that played when Kirk was fighting in an arena for TK, or maybe Mortal Kombat music or something? Maybe some playlist of Street Fighter music for BattleCON

We have this playlist of Mark Mothersbaugh film score and Sims soundtrack stuff that we play for Suburbia that totally makes it better.

well the soundtrack for BattleCON is Guile's theme.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Street Fighter is like, the least anime fighting game I can think of outside of 3D fighters and BattleCON is pretty clearly based off those if anything

e: what I'm saying is to use the Melty Blood or UNIEL osts

Blazblue has some good music, if nothing else, I want the announcer to start every game of BattleCON I ever play.

"The Wheel of Fate is Turning, REBEL ONE, Action"

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Of all the things to make a loving movie about, loving Catan? I wonder who is going to play the sheep.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Like Exploding Kittens!!!

<said by every marketing guy in every film studio ever right now>

Bill Hicks posted:

“Does anyone here work in advertising or marketing? Well if you do, when you get home take a gun shoot yourself. No bullshit, I'm not joking just do it. I'm just sowing seeds, one day they may take root.”

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

So, whats the goonsensus on Argent? The idea of having each of your workers have special abilities in a worker placement game seems really nice, and the artwork and component quality seems very good. Does it play well? Does the hidden victory point condition make the game to random, or is the deduction element well placed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Big McHuge posted:

The ability to look at games in a critical light has turned me into "that guy" and I need to learn how to enjoy myself during bad games.

We have a regular group of people that gets together on Wednesday evening, and they're all good folks. Super friendly, willing to try new games, but a few tend to get stuck in ruts and will cycle through the same 3 or 4 games week after week. Also the group as a whole doesn't seem to be able to differentiate between good and bad games, leading to people being just as enthusiastic about Dungeon Lords as they are with Red Dragon Inn.

This week, half the group played a rather lengthy game of Legacy: Gears of Time (which I actually kinda liked the first time I played), and the rest of us played Alhambra. This was my second time playing Alhambra, and I really enjoy it, though I do think that the expansion with the diamond cards might be a little bit overpowered. What worried me the most is that some of the other people didn't really get why I was paying such close attention to their boards and counting tiles towards the end of the game. The whole point of the game is to have more tiles in each color than your opponents, and it says right on the player board how many of each color there is. So yeah, it's kinda really important to pay attention to how many of each color is left so you can plan accordingly. These aren't dumb people I'm playing with, but it made me think that they're just blindly moving towards the end of the game, vaguely aware of what the scoring conditions are.

Anyways, after that was a quick game of Sushi Go which isn't amazing, but is fast and cute and perfectly acceptable as a filler game. Then, it was decided that we were gonna play a 4 player game of Castellan, and things started to go south. In this game, you play cards from your hand, take the bits of castle that are indicated on the card, and try to add those bits on to a central castle, forming enclosed spaces that you can then claim for points. I really believe that this should only be played as a 2-player game, despite the fact that it is suggested that buying two copies with different colors will allow you to play 4. The game dragged out well past what it should have, and it's rather difficult to plan your turn in advance as each player is changing the layout of the castle during their turn. Also, no matter how many cards you play, you only draw 1 at the end of your turn, unless you played a card that allows you to draw an extra one. Of course, if you got one of these "draw an extra" cards on the bottom of your deck, it does you absolutely no good. It's not a good game, and it has questionable design decisions, but the most frustrating part to me is that it had the *potential* to be a good light filler game.

It was pretty obvious that we weren't having a good time with it by about midway through, but apparently it really showed on my face or in my voice, because I was accused of being a sourpuss afterwards. That I should enjoy the company and be happy to spend time with them, rather than worrying about the quality of the game. This seems absurd to me. There's plenty of awesome games out there that I can "enjoy the company" as well as enjoy the game itself.

I've been trying to keep myself "in check" the past few months, too. I try to limit any criticism I have, I've stopped making comments that could be viewed as "negative" towards some of the games that are regularly played. I've been trying to keep an open mind and be willing to try out games that I know are going to be bad. And I've really stopped trying to help them understand the difference between good and bad games. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.

But I'm willing to, painfully, acknowledge that maybe it *is* me that is the problem. Maybe I just am a game snob and I'm turning into someone that I myself wouldn't want to play a game with.

Honestly, if you are with a gaming group, and they pull out a game you have no interest in, you can suggest alternatives or go do something else. I have a regular gaming gaming group and there is one game they will regularly pull out that I have no interest in. Now objectively it is a good game (Agricola), but I have never enjoyed that game no matter how many times I play. So rather than subject myself to it, I will either break off with another disinterested party to play some other game, or I will volunteer to go on a snack/cook out run, or just be honest and say, "Nah, this one isn't my speed, y'all go ahead though, I'll get in on the next game."

Dulkor posted:

I don't think there is a goonsensus yet, but my own opinions are:

1) The game is fiddly, AP prone players should not apply

2) Hidden objectives mitigate 'gang up on the leader' somewhat because no one is honestly sure who the leader is at any given moment.

3) It's huge. Plan for table space you'd need for something like TI3 or Arkham

4) I feel like it has a lot of interesting decisions to make (spending actions on finding out about voters vs. focusing on objectives you know about, rushing actions and running the clock down vs. taking your time to consolidate and giving up the bell tower rewards, etc.)

I need to play it a couple more times to fully get my head around it, but I like it a lot so far.

1)Annoying but unsurprising, there are some people I will opt to play other games with.

2)Good

3)Not an issue, we played TI last weekend so we'll be set

4)Excellent, that almost sells me on it in and of it self.

Thanks for the input, I will probably end up purchasing this game sometime in the not-so-distant future.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 20, 2015