Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Board games are cool. - my opinion, as someone who board games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
I played Touch of Evil many times a few years back, and remember never having had fun. Don't remember any specifics, but I think it suffers from the same issues that most Flying Frog games do.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Somberbrero posted:

I got copies of Overthrone and Timestreams for Christmas. Does anyone have any experience with these games? They don't rank so hot on BGG but I would feel crappy returning them, unless they're real bad.

The guys that make Timestreams are the same dudes that made that really bad Ten Commandments game we played back in college. For what that's worth.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
SIMPLE RULES? -----> NO -------> eventually leads to carcassonne???

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Triple-Kan posted:

Dang I hope you're not talking about Game Nite, I've only been there a couple nights for the St. Louis Board Game Meet-up, but they've always been nice-ish, I suppose.

Game Nite is okay if you're there with a group big enough to make the dudes there care, but basically if you ain't buying $50 worth of Magics or Heroclixs for a tournament then gently caress you.

e: And they're probably the best place and town, which is the saddest thing.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
If Miniature Market wasn't a ten minute drive away, I'd be a much richer man. :(

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Kai Tave posted:

Speaking of which, what are some good board games (if any) that feature some sort of persistent "leveling up" through play that carries over into future games? I know the Shadowrun: Crossfire game is supposed to do that but opinions on it here have been mixed. Risk: Legacy makes permanent changes a defining feature and I guess some of the unlocks do augment the various factions but it's not quite the same thing.

Descent and Star Wars: Imperial Assault both do this. There are some decent fan made rules for the D&D adventure games that add persistence to those games, as well.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Broken Loose I am very excited to back your game and make my non-anime-watching wife roll her eyes as she has to scream with the power of friendship and self-respect. Thanks in advance.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Imperial Assault is very good at what it does. You know already if you want it or not. If you think you want Imperial Assault, you will enjoy it.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Tekopo posted:

I have never seen such a bad loving rhyme,
In some circles it would be considered a crime,
I wish you would stop,
Or I'll get in a strop,
This is one wound that won't heal with time.

Edit: eye/symmetry don't rhyme and neither do fucks/rulebooks (unless that was the intention) :psyduck:

we'll be sure to let william blake know.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
/ʊ/ and /u/ are close enough in most English dialects to work fine as a satisfactory rhyme, especially with the use of a /k/ slant rhyme, tho it probably wouldn't have satisfied blake.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Doomtown is really good and also not published by FFG so already it is inherently better than all other LCGs.

Deviant posted:

It's ultimately a chess game, it's about knowing when, where, and why to be aggressive. And often those aggressions are subtle. Moving a single dude to force a reaction, posturing with a guy in the town square, and so on.

Yeah, this is very true. Doomtown is very much like the Westerns it is trying to emulate: a series of posturing, small jabs, encroachments, and ambushes that ultimately tend to lead to a last ditch Hail Mary effort from the losing side to win. If you manage to pull a legal five of a kind or a Dead Man's Hand straight up on your last shootout against an opponent who only pulls 5 pairs on his 5 stud draw, then one of you built a deck with a better draw structure. Choosing to take the risk on draws or keeping a tight draw structure to limit variance is one more strategic choice you can make (which can be manipulated tactically via which cards you choose to buy or ace over the course of the game).

If that's not for you, that's fine, but it is much more nuanced and well-considered than you're giving it credit for.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Is the Doomtown Core Set enough to make a few good balanced decks to play against each other?

The Core Set comes with a premade deck for each faction. I haven't played with them, but word on the internet says that they are essentially in two sets of two that are decently balanced against each other (Sloane vs. Law Dogs, Morgan vs. Fourth Ring), but not well balanced against the other set. If you aren't planning on getting competitive, and you built wildly different deck types, you could probably get three decks that are roughly balanced against each other from one Core. Like all LCGs, you really want two Cores. :( (Unlike Netrunner, though, two cores will get you a full play set.)

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

McNerd posted:

Speaking of Imperial Assault, how much do you lose out if you play through the campaign missions with a different play group every week?

You could play this way, but it'd be a pretty lovely way to play Imperial Assault. The campaign path is fairly rigid, with set story missions that tell a complete arc, and experiencing the campaign as a whole unit is really what gives the game its draw. A large part of the strategy of the game is building your character over the course of the campaign and learning how best to play it with the skill upgrades/item upgrades/other teammates that you've chosen. Having different groups just dropping in and grabbing characters would eliminate a lot of what makes the game unique over, like, any other random minis combat game you could name.

I wouldn't say that playing it that way would completely break the game. It'd still be functional as a tactical minis game. But you'd be paying $80 - $100 for the huge stinkin' box, and then only playing a facsimile of what you spent those bux on.

Also, if he plans on playing as Imperial every time, he'll have a much firmer grasp on how his "character" plays, and that + experience with the system will lead to an unbalance in skill between the sides. That won't be bad if he pulls his punches, but that would be unsatisfying in its own way. It's not an RPG, and you really shouldn't play Imperial side like a GM. The game works best when both sides are actively trying to win.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

McNerd posted:

Thanks, this is exactly what I was afraid you'd say. I'll send this post to him and let him decide how to handle it.

If I recall correctly there were more than 4 heroes to choose from. How bad would it be to split the difference, have 6 Rebel players with their own specific characters, let them tag in when they show up, and then fill them in on what they missed?

There would be issues with that. Here's a few:

Players get items/skills after each mission based on whether they won or lost and how many supply crates they looted over the course of the mission. While you could simply give the remaining characters that didn't play the XP, the maximum amount of gold you get per mission is set regardless of how many players you have. This means you'd either have a group of 6 heroes splitting funds that were already tight for 4 heroes or you'd have to house rule some kind of way to get the extra heroes extra access to the items.

The deck of cards that you draw from to determine your available side missions is constructed at the beginning of the campaign, and is a limited-space deck. Each character in the campaign has a character specific side mission, which must be included in that deck. You'd have to figure out how to deal with that.

Group construction is super important to the balance of the game. The group is a cohesive unit, and the heroes should be picking skills and buying items that contribute to the group's efficacy. A large part of the campaign, from the Rebel side, is learning how to work together, what weaknesses your group construction has, and trying to learn to alleviate that through tactical play or item/skill builds. It breaks the flow of the game in some serious ways that would be a detriment to the Rebel side.

The Imperial player will also be building his "character" with upgrade cards that are tailored to addressing the specific Rebel group he's fighting. Trying to build an Imperial side that can handle all 6 of the characters and their various builds in different combinations is going to both suck and feel completely underwhelming as a strategic experience.

Basically, Imperial Assault is not a 2-hour tactical combat scenario game. It is a 16 - 24 hour strategic 4 vs. 1 campaign where battle situations are resolved via tactical combat. You could, theoretically, play the game your friend is suggesting, but it wouldn't be Imperial Assault. It'd be a fractured, frustrating, random, Star Wars-flavored mess of moving dudes on a board and rolling dice.

Tell him to get two or three people who he knows are going to be there every week, and run a campaign with them. If that doesn't work then, sadly, I don't think Imperial Assault is a game he should bring to game night.

Clockwork Gadget fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 26, 2015

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Arnm616 posted:

Anyone had a chance to try out Trickerion? The kickstarter is ending in a few days and I am wondering if it is worth backing.

Unless it's a Kickstarter that, on the last day, needs your backing to get fully funded, never back a board game Kickstarter. History of the field shows that you'll get your copy later than retail and at a higher price than you'd get it off CSI or MM.

I think Trickerion looks okay, though, and Rahdo's run-through of it makes me interested in potentially picking it up down the line, at a healthy discount over MSRP. :)

tl;dr: don't back kickstarters, you dummy.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Gameko posted:

The negative opinions I heard about Dead of Winter were different than some of the negative reviews I read, so it was helpful. I'll probably still pick it up eventually because I'm not sick of zombies for some reason and my wife likes them too. I'm hoping the theme will be enjoyable for her. Not to mention my sisters are horror movie nuts so they might like it too when the family gets together. Still, because of the criticisms I've heard, I'm de-prioritizing the buy for a bit.

Buy City of Horror instead.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

So did anyone else throw funds into the kickstarter for the ghostbuster game? I'm hoping everything goes smooth and it does come by October

don't back kickstarters

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
a licensed game based on beloved 1980's nerd pop culture property developed by the awesome game designers at cryptozoic and crowdfunded on kickstarter

should be great.

e: don't back kickstarters.

Clockwork Gadget fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 12, 2015

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

al-azad posted:

And that's ultimately what I'm realizing here. You cannot make a good game where everyone is cooperating while simultaneously trying to come out on top while possibly trying to cooperate + fail + come out on top.

Archipelago does this pretty well, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

al-azad posted:

My biggest issue up front is the lack of information the players are given. We were told that a mission ends if "some number of us" are wounded. We're also not given a time limit on mission objectives so more often than not we think we have more time than we actually do. Around the fourth mission the GM decided to just tell us up front that a mission isn't over until everyone is wounded, he would give us time limits, and for cases involving objective counters he would tell us how many we needed to protect/destroy to win.

The Imperial player is supposed to tell you all of those things. You were playing incorrectly for the first three missions, probably because he misread the rules.

e: For the record, for anyone considering picking up Imperial Assault, when the rules tell you as the Imperial player to read the Mission Briefing section to the players, they mean the ENTIRE Mission Briefing section, from the "Mission Briefing" subheader until the next subheader. Same for any other time you are instructed to read a labeled section to the players -- read the WHOLE section. The game does not work otherwise.

Clockwork Gadget fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 11, 2015

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Would anyone who hasn't had a chance to try it out yet be interested in a PbP campaign of Imperial Assault?

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Stelas posted:

I would love to see someone do this, but I would strongly suggest that PBP would probably be way too slow, especially when trying to handle all the potential interrupts. From my experience doing Descent campaigns a weekly session at a specific time tends to work, using a Vassal module (one exists, it's a bit rudimentary but it works).

Yeah, totally aware of the possibility that an entire campaign would probably take months to work through doing it PbP. I'm fine with that. Part of doing it is wanting to improve on the quality of the materials the dudes over at BGG are using for their PbP stuff.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Stelas posted:

Enemy shoots, are you going to reaction shot?
*A week passes*
No.
Okay, here's the attack and defend, are you going to activate your rerolls?
*A week passes*
Nope, it's fine.

*Repeat three times*

That's the end of my activation. Which of you are up next?
*A week of discussion passes*

Yep, that's the nature of the beast. I think it'll mostly work itself out with tough deadlines and dedicated players. Not particularly worried.

I grabbed the Vassal modules, and while most of the cards were alright, I was unimpressed with the quality of the tiles and tokens (both dpi and color quality), so I'm working with better quality scans that I might backport into the module when I'm done cleaning them up.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Welp, I done it. Heeerrreee we gooooo.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Hello friends, fellow goon Somberbrero and I have started doing a podcast where we analyze and review print-and-play games. In our first two episodes, we look at a couple of spooky games that you could probably play for Halloween!!!!!

http://printnplaycast.com

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Rutibex said something stupid once about racial equality or political correctness or some poo poo, so I jokingly PMed him a link to an article from a sociological journal about privilege, institutional social prestige, and cultures of power.

He responded by saying "I believe that some cultures are in fact better than others," and "dominant cultures are that way for a reason and if people don't like the way their culture is portrayed they should change their self identity."

:chanpop:

e: basically nerds are terrible. :3:

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Selecta84 posted:

Has anyone tried the Marquis PnP game?

If yes, is it any good and how hard is it to assemble?

I've played the app version and enjoyed it. Would recommend that over putting it together yourself, if possible. If I had to estimate construction time, I'd say probably 30 minutes.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Selecta84 posted:

How hard is it?

If you're used to playing worker placement games, you'll probably beat it on normal within the first couple of tries. The difficulty slides pretty well tho, imo, and I've definitely felt rewarded by repeated plays.

My cohost (Somberbrero) reviewed the developer's latest game, Austerity, on the newest episode of our print and play podcast, and had a decent time with it. I've been messing around with it using the advanced play modules, and have really enjoyed that experience. It also helps that the construction for the game is literally a one page game board and a handful of tokens.

I also played and reviewed Agent Decker, a single-player, mission-based deck builder where the market row acts as both the game map, your nemeses, the time limit, and your available tools. It is a pretty neat experience that is definitely reminiscent of the Legendary Encounters games, but is appreciably doing it's own little thing. It's a full deck print, tho, which might put people off. A VASSAL module is available, and I'd recommend that.

Clockwork Gadget fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 4, 2015

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

crondaily posted:

Anyone play the newer Star Wars Risk game that is out? Wondering how good the gameplay is.

It's like Risk, but only one on one, and on three separate boards at the same time, and your available actions you can take are determined by random card draws.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
So roughly .75 Eldritch-Horror-setups.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Somberbrero and I sat down and played two print-and-play games this week for our podcast, Galva and Micro Civilization. I thought they were both cool, and they're real easy to print out and put together (Galva prints out on a single page!), so I decided I'd write a bit about 'em here for you guys.

Galva is a real simple abstract game that works kind-of like competitive Pipe Mania/Pipe Dream meets sliding-block puzzle. You begin with a 5x5 grid of face down tiles, and you and your opponents take turns doing 3 actions from a list of possible actions (shifting tiles, rotating tiles, revealing tiles, or attacking). Each tile has some combination of red wires, blue wires, and white wires. The goal is to create a path from one of your generators to one of your opponents' generators using wires of your color or neutral white wires, then initiate a power surge attack that blows up the opponent's generator. This becomes complicated by the fact that any time you're working on setting up a usable path, you also need to be working on avoiding creating openings for your opponent to attack you. It's a constant push and pull that feels very brain-burny and tactical. The first person to blow up all five of their opponent's generators wins.

Micro Civilization is a real nice take on the Through the Ages, Nations, Civilization, 7 Wonders motif. You're drafting cards and building a tableau and thus getting more resources to build more cards with the ultimate goal of either beating your opponent through having more victory points at the end of the game or through destroying them outright. You play cards to your tableau by overlapping one edge of one of your already existing cards, meaning that every time you're playing cards to your tableau, you're overwriting resources you already had in order to expand with new resources. Resources are important, because every time you play a card to your tableau, you have to be able to pay the cost of EVERY CARD on your table all over again. If you can't pay for everything, you can't play the card there.

Victory points are scored by building a tableau that contains prestige resources (useless while playing the game, but the only resources that score points at the end of the game) and by building a long wall. Each card has walls drawn along sides of the cards, with differing layouts for each card. When laying cards down, you want to be aware of not only what resources you're eliminating/gaining, but also whether you're ruining your wall, which can be the deciding factor in the end game. The last little wrinkle in all of this is that you can at any point in the game forfeit a turn to engage in war, where you get to steal cards from your opponent's hand equal to the difference between your military resources and theirs. If you are ever able to steal more cards than your opponent has in hand, they lose immediately.

All of this is contained on a total of 15 or so cards. A single round takes 10 minutes or less to play. My only regret is that I wish the game scaled to be a bit longer. Even though the gameplay is nice, it'd be great if I could wallow in my own decision making for another ten or so rounds.

Both of these were neat little games. You can hear us break them down a little bit more and get a real sense of what we both thought by listening to the latest episode.

On another note, we got word that Tontine, a social-deduction/betrayal/directly competitive Mafia-like that we took a look at earlier this month, is being picked up for publication. There's no word yet whether or not the original PnP files will be pulled down at some point, but the publisher has hinted that the game will probably receive a name change by the time it hits shelves. If you're interested in the game at all, I'd grab the files now, just in case.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

shut it down, board games are over, everyone go home

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
I played about 5 games of Patchwork tonight with my wife, who borrowed it from a friend. It's an interesting little thing, though I didn't manage to work out how I ought to be optimizing my scoring yet. Excited to tackle some more games of it though. I'm gonna avoid reading strategies about this one to prevent ruining the learning experience, I think.

On a completely different note, it's been two weeks since we last posted about it, so I wanted to remind folks that Somberbrero and I are still continuing our endeavor to play a few print-and-play games every couple of weeks and review/analyze them for our podcast. Episode 7 went up yesterday, wherein we looked at New Bedford and it's micro-game brother Nantucket. Both are worker placement games, and both feel pretty tightly designed, if not super innovative. The theme is the 1800s American whaling trade, but the games don't glorify the whaling itself in any way (and I argue for the subtext of the design doing the opposite in our review).

Our format is long-form, considered, careful discussion between two friends that enjoy board games and game design. As such, episodes tend to run 40 to 60 minutes. We understand that's not for everyone, but we'd obviously appreciate any feedback.

I mostly started doing it to give myself an excuse to try more print-and-play games, spend more time with a buddy, talk more cognizantly about game design theory, and provide some long, thoughtful reviews to amateur designers who might not know that anyone is really appreciating what they're doing. On all of those accounts, it's been a success from my perspective, so they're probably gonna keep coming regardless.

Thanks.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
On the newest episode of our print-and-play games podcast, Somberbrero and I take a look at Wizard Dice and Dragon Punch. The pretense is that both of these are one-on-one dueling games -- one magical and one physical.

Wizard Dice is essentially a mash-up between MtG and Yahtzee. Its premise is that you play as dueling wizards, trying to be the one who avoids being BANISHED TO THE DEPTHS OF HELL by your opponent. It is also very, very seriously bad. It is a game in which every decision seems to have been made to deliver the most imbalanced, slow, arbitrary, and unfun results possible. There are a few nuggets of interesting design here, but we spend most of the review discussing why we think the game fails, and how a similar design in the same design space could succeed. Strongly avoid playing.

Dragon Punch is a very good card game that attempts to capture the Fighting Game feel in much the same way that Yomi and BattleCON do. Dragon Punch stands out through some pretty clever physical manipulation of cards and the simple fact that the entire game is 16 cards and a sheet of rules. It is a bite-sized interpretation of Fighting Game design into a card-game space, and -- although it lacks both the depth and width of design that can be found in Yomi and BattleCON -- it condenses the Fighting Game spirit and experience into some pretty solid fundamentals. It is extremely approachable, eminently understandable, and super fun. If you are a fan of Yomi or BattleCON, it comes highly recommended. If you've always wanted to enjoy what Yomi and BattleCON are attempting, but haven't been able to break through the learning curve, then it comes even more highly recommended. Links to the files are on the Kickstarter page (it has already been funded) or on the Print 'n Play website.

tl;dr: new episode of our podcast is up, go listen and check out Dragon Punch -- it is very very good.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Xiahou Dun posted:

So my girlfriend and I have been playing Sherlock Holmes : Consulting Detective, and it's a really amazing game for what it is. Really great couples game. Last couple of Saturdays we've been relaxing at home or in a bar and we just have the booklets and the newspapers and talk it out for two hours. Or like it was really great last week when I just was making dinner and she was sitting down and reading it to me.

I really can not gush enough about how much we're enjoying the game. We haven't been keeping score too hard cause we want to see all of the content, but it's gorgeously written for the most part and a lot of fun. We might even have made up fake street urchin names. (Don't judge, we were pretty drunk by that point.)

That said... What the gently caress is up with the third case? (The Mystified Murderess) I'm not spoiling anything, but that reveal is some hot bullshit of the highest caliber. Cursory googling is saying something about translation issues? Anyone know anything about that?

Keep in mind though that it was still fun to do the case, just the ending is dumb as hell. Highly would recommend.

P.S. If anyone knows similar games, we are really interested because we only have 7 more to go.

There's a small subcategory of games that are pretty much just more cases for SH:DC if you're just looking for literally more of that.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Hi board game thread. Three things:
  1. I'm running a PbP game of The End is Nigh. It is a weird kinda mafia-like that I describe in the thread as "Mafia or The Resistance meets Battlestar Galactica and Clue(do), but without player elimination, a random number of PC bad guys, and no out of thread communication. I guess." To restate, it's probably more Resistance-y than Mafia-y, but the mechanics play more like a weird game of Clue with traitor stuff sort of equivalent to BSG. It's currently in its playtest phase, gearing up for a potential Kickstarter at some point, and I'm thinking of reviewing it for The Print 'n Play Cast. I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet, so I make no promises of quality. Should be interesting, at any rate! You can find the thread by clicking the following image!

2. Speaking of The Print 'n Play Cast -- which thread regulars will know as the podcast (which I keep pimping in the thread) that I do with Somberbrero where we play and critically analyze print-and-play board games -- our newest episode came out last Friday. We played Karmaka, which is a pretty cool game that does a lot of pretty cool things. That episode is on the website now.

3. That Wayne England art is hella my aesthetic.

Clockwork Gadget fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 11, 2016

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Countblanc posted:

Sirlin currently has Codex available as PnP during the kickstarter, you should consider that so I can hear reviews from people who aren't actually as deep in the yomihole as I am.

We've talked about it! I think we actually probably mention it for a minute towards the end of the last episode if I didn't end up cutting that part out. We also rag on Sirlin quite a bit in I think at least two other episodes because gently caress that guy.

I'm in that spot where I despise David Sirlin for so many reasons but also I play Flash Duel and Puzzle Strike on the reg bc they're real good and I always want to get deeper into Yomi.

I want Codex to be good, and fully recognize that it's gonna probably be at least alright, but also everything about the pitch video and the campaign page makes me go :siren::argh:SIRLIN:argh::siren:!!!!

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

theroachman posted:

How many people ITT received Exploding Kittens as a Christmas gift "because I heard you like boardgames". Show of hands please.

Not me!

It was a birthday present :kheldragar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Amoeba102 posted:

Cyanide and Happiness kickstarted a Cards Aginst Humanity clone using random comic panels and it's at 600k with 27 days to go. CaH CAH, if you will. Poop jokes on the internet printed on cards is actually like printing money.