Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Buck Wildman posted:

the new badger faction seems boss af and the hirelings seem like a real game changer for my handsomest boys in the lizard cult

have they posted a deep dive on teh badgers? only seen stuff for the rats so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
my hope of ever playing this again died when my sister had to move out of the city :(

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i played so much gloomhaven in 2019 and then the pandemic hit and one of the regulars in my group had to move back to denmark. fuckin' sucks.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the class design for the FH classes looks absolutely insane and I am all the way in on those.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
incorrect. the new version is legible.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i was too depressed to keep up with the hobby in the last year or so. any games come out that really are very good?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
thanks for reminding me to grab the remade version of sidereal confluence!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Can you get WE anywhere anymore?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

LifeLynx posted:

My friend's gift of Mage Knight is here! I'll be playing it solo. Any tips for a first time?

ice block blocks fire. fire block blocks ice. Ranged attack is really, really good.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Nice to see Isaac owning up to those issues, which were one of the only notes about the original gloomhaven that bummed me out

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
keeping seen meeples visible is a disrespect to the intent of the game. That's why I don't let anyone use calculators, rules reminders, glasses, or chairs at my games.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Mayveena posted:

I'm sorry but that's crazy. 18xx games are MEANT to be used with calculators. And as a designer myself, and if you choose to watch the video, you'll see exactly how wrong you are. Tom Lehmann, Richard Breese, Alexander Pfister, Joeren from Splotter, my co-designers, Bruce Harper the project lead on several Avalon Hill games back in the day, have no issue with house rules. I have no idea why you would think that somehow the designers are at your table watching what you do.

haha yes, as pointed out by someone else earlier I meant this satirically - overall I'm fine with altering rules like that to fit the needs of players at the table (and I need a personally need a calculator to play any game that adds numbers together larger than 5.) But I was talking with someone earlier about this and they mentioned how hiding some information helps reduce AP and I've also seen that, so I would basically take it on a table-by-table basis.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Funzo posted:

I signed up for Border Reivers in June of last year, it hit the P500 goal at the end of July last year, and is still waiting for production. I have no idea if that's a typical timeline though.

untzthatshit posted:

What's the turnaround on these GMT P500 projects like? Is it similar to Kickstarter, where it's basically at least a year out but likely even longer?

When a game is stil in process of design it can take a while and the P500 is essentially a long pre-order with indeterminate duration. So it's a kickstarter.

If you do a P500 of something that already exists but is currently between printings, it is more likely to come to in a more definite time frame after it hits its goal.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
MK is very good and was maybe my favorite game for a number of years but it does feel like Spirit Island has at this point taken its crown. Just about everything MK does, SI does in a more streamlined way.

I will say that the real powerhouses of Mage Knight are your units, artifacts and spells - the combos involved there (and the planning involved to make those combos happen) are where stuff really goes off. And the combos you get there are more involved and intricate than anything you'll pull off in a game of spirit island with less than three people in it. It really rewards playing as multiple different mages because the differences between them don't feel so stark at first but actually become quite large given time.

Also play your solo games on the really well done VASSAL mod or TTS. Setting that up every time is going to give you RSI

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 3, 2021

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Mayveena posted:

I don't know what's happening with Vlaada but he needs to redo Mage Knight to current rules and design standards. At its core it's a really good game but it's just too difficult to play, like the 21st century version of Magic Realm.

what i want is for Vlaada to do this, but to Magic Realm. give me modern day magic realm. give me Mage Knight 2: More Tables and Chits edition

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Codenames succeeding was a karmic reward for Vlaada for doing everything else in his life correctly

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
isn't that the company that you still need to be in a yahoo group to get notified of new releases

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

I just wanted to say that I hate this thread:

wow that is a rock solid set of games for a variety of player counts.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
if I have Kanban do I need Kanban EV? Kanban 1 is prob my fav lacerda

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

nordichammer posted:

I am not sure exactly how to phrase this question, so bear with me.

The games I enjoy the most tend to have diverse characters/factions that provide variety from game to game with minimal additional rules burden. Spirit Island is a fantastic example with its spirits; Root is kind of there because the factions are all basically their own games in terms of rules burden but they are at least diverse; and Pandemic would be a bad example because while variable player powers do exist the games tend to feel the same regardless of character.

What are some examples of games with diverse factions that I can check out? Battlecon seems cool, Sideral Confluence would not work for my group, and Cosmic Encounter sounds too random. Beyond that, I am not really sure how to even search. Variable Player Powers as a category does not quite get me there.

Battlecon is great at this. so is EXCEED, the new line of games like that from level99.

In fact a lot of level99 has this: argent the consortium and bullet are also full of varied faction/character abilities.

Among more classic euro-y options, The Voyages of Marco Polo has wildly variable characters in it. I believe marcopolo II has these as well but I haven't played it.

Mage Knight's various characters are also very distinct and don't have much additional rules overhead at the cost of the whole game having a ton of rules overhead, but it is very much in the vein of spirit island if that's what you're into. just a lot less elegant.

Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends hhas highly varied factions in its game, and each one feels extremely different to play.

Terra Mystica and Gaia Project also have very different factions that aren't quite as diverse as the spirit island spirits but also don't require as much rules overhead s something like Root.

There's an expansion for Caverna that adds factions. Not sure how good it is.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
plastic waste is a really vanishingly small part of the whole climate problem, don't stress about it.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i dislike phil as much as the next guy but Oath very much isn't a Pax game. pax ren and pamir 2e are very interesting and good games even though phil's a shithead.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Papes posted:

Phil had nothing to do with pamir 2e

oh yeah, that's true - all the more reason to recommend that one imo

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
tragedy looper is a good board game

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i have to say that at this point i am kinda impressed by isaac staying on the right side of all of these issues and being among the first to speak

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I don't like thing

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Context posted:

Spirit Island is easily one of my favorite games, easily top 5, maybe top 3. It's the kind of game I feel like I could play forever - and my group has never touched half of the adversaries or any of the special scenarios. The only wrinkle is, we only ever win with a Terror Level 3 victory (destroy all cities). Is this normal? Are there any adversaries that would force us to go for a Level 2 or full-fear victory?

small games with wildfire in them I've seen terror level 1 vics. rare but it happens. As stated above, fear spirit heavy games will more frequently win by running the deck.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I have literally played CHEX with family drunkenly over the holidays. how impatient are your friends that it's some sort of out of reach ultranerd game

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the great hallmark of a good board game, it instantly becoming tedious and difficult when someone tires to win

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Inspired choice. Incredible little knife fight of a game.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

A single transaction on the blockchain uses as much electricity as a fridge running for a month, so I have no idea where they got that statistic. Crypto is way way worse than any normal hobby assuming you're not a coal rolling big trucker.
That's true for proof of work crypto bullshit but kickstarter is basing theirs on Celo, which is proof of stake and is orders of magnitude less energy intensive. It's still wasteful but not at nearly the same scale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I think we should recc some of the now quite good co op lcgs as well. There's a lot of overlap in what arkham lcg does and in what spirit island does, but arkham has a lower buy in.