Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Early Vlaada rulebooks are notoriously bad.

"Early" meaning everything before Tash-Kalar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Big McHuge posted:

The downside: My FLGS has The Dungeon Lords Anniversary edition while I'm still waiting on mine.

The upside: They also had Bunny Bunny Moose Moose in stock and so now I own that.

Are you in America?

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 6, 2015

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

And they definitely had it at your FLGS? Because last I heard it hadn't cleared customs yet

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Elyv posted:

How is Kemet for two?

Not good at all.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So it's awesome that Dungeon Lords Anniversary has finally made in through customs I'll finally be able to get a wooden box version (probably at some terrible mark up :sigh:). But it seems while that was happening a second crate of normal retail versions got sent through without issue. Which of course means dirty non-kickstarters will get their regular retail versions before Loyal Backers! Oh the horror! So of course the comments on the Kickstarter page are filled with such amazing things like:

I would never do a Kickstarter holy poo poo I could not deal with being beholden to people like this. Clearly a company should refuse to make money because some nerds might not be able to lord their purchases over other people :qq:

That second one, my god. "For example, take this tiny mom and pop dev you've never heard of with a lot less overhead than you. If they can sit on their container, why can't you!?"

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Timett posted:

I know a guy giving away some games. Are any of these worth jumping on for next to nothing.

Alea Iacta Est
Spyrium
Bora Bora

I know nothing about any of them. I'll only take one if any.

Don't know the other two, but I've heard good things about Bora Bora.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

BonHair posted:

I decided to check out The Dice Tower, and I hate these guys. I also disagree with them a lot. Their main arguments seem to be "fun", "theme" and "flavour". And that's mostly it. They never try to analyse what happens in a game, how the mechanics work or anything that would be helpful, except "they like it".
Have they done anything that is sensible and/or worth watching?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

So what are the best dexterity games? Crokinole, Catacombs, ..?

Click Clack Lumberjack. I weas going to say Jungle Speed, but I guess that's more of a reflexes/pattern matching game. also it rules poo poo

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I'm doing the free shipping hundo on CSI, should I get Alchemists or Castles of Mad King Ludwig

e: ended up getting patchistory

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 23, 2015

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

electrigger posted:

It is time. Although I'm a little disappointed I didn't get the old artwork version with the classic scowl.

the Mufasa-ghost of King Philip scowling at you isn't terrible either but yeah

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

gaaaaahahahaha hearthstone won the video game of the year

Also splendor's like OK but it's nowhere near goty, and saying Dead of Winter is the most innovative game of the year is loving mindblowing. it's BSG but way worse! gently caress!!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

unpronounceable posted:

What would you say is most innovative? I'd say Tragedy Looper, but I don't play nearly as many games as others here.

Honestly, I haven't played most of the games on their shortlist either. If I had to pick one, I guess I'd say Alchemists? It's kind of eh to play but it integrates the app in a pretty smart way, and I'd be interested in seeing some more games do that. I'm mostly saying that Dead of Winter is pretty much the least innovative game I can think of, basically all of its mechanics have been done better in other games years ago

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

Do you realize that what you are writing sounds insane? Like, I'm not even making fun of you anymore because I think you need therapy or something. You sound like you've been traumatized by past events and see the world as set against you.

I would just write the post off as an internet-standard hyperbole post if I didn't know that I'm reading about events that have actually happened to you. Talk to somebody.

he's not saying that he's literally warping the probability curve by being alive, he's saying that a lot of bad poo poo's happened to him and that he hates playing games with a high level of luck variance because of it and that he designs games based on that hatred. seems fair to me.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

admanb posted:

He might be trying to say that, but he's delivering it with a level of hyperbole that really does not get that point across.

have you read a single other broken loose post ever?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

because that's just what he does, dude

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Tekopo posted:

When a pet goes 'unbought' from the board, it goes to a magical retirement farm where it is perfectly happy, and coincidentally you add one meat to the meat tent

this is the one fiddly rule no one at my table's ever forgotten because lmao

e: I like the advanced variant where the stareplant has you add a vegetable and the baby golem adds a gold instead (and the ghost adds nothing). no they're still on the farm you sick gently caress. why would you even think that

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I mean, it's a very fiddly rule. Nothing else that cycles out gives you stuff and IIRC it's one of the few things that doesn't have a reminder on the board. it's just once you know the rule you're never going to forget about it

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

So what are some good team vs team games?

7 Wonders teams is a neat variant on that game although it doesn't have a ton of interaction to begin with. BSG really feels like a good team game if you are a Cylon and have a strong suspicion of who the other Cylon is, but that doesn't happen every game I think. I haven't tried the Tash-kalar team game.

X-Wing works decently as a team game because you all silently get to pick your dials at the same time.

2v2 high form tash kalar is great and is objectively the best way to play the game with four (or you could get the upgrade pack and have two 1v1 games going side by side but that's outside the scope of the question)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

As much as Sirlin is a bit douchey, his replies in the thread were at least earnest. But holy poo poo that DXV reply.

"I wasn't being aggressive. In fact, I'm quite certain I was being cheerful because I'm always amused by being rude to others. Also, my creation is a wonderful gift to game designers. Sad that none of them are good enough to deserve such a great gift."

lmao

tbf 90% of deckbuilders are just worse clones of dominion so i actually see where he's coming from on that one

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Today's bonus card:

Also, Temporum's getting a reprint soon complete with bigger arrows, and apparently they'll also be available to people who already own the first edition, though no further details on that yet .

holy poo poo that card

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

man oh man is traglooper good, finally got a chance to bust out my copy last night. Ran through the first two scenarios, had a great time the second scenario seemed kind of lame, we effectively solved all the roles and incidents on the second loop but still ended up losing because the mastermind has too many "instantly end the loop" powers and they interact with each other in lovely ways. getting a single intrigue on the school meant losing because of the mastermind's OPL ability, which means that we had to use our forbid intrigue on that every turn along with moving the boy student out of the school to stop him from blocking forbid intrigue and then blowing our forbid movement on him every turn to keep the mastermind from moving him back in. that left a single turn where the mastermind could move him in with the right card and a good bluff. we thought about killing him in the hospital, but that needs a single intrigue and if that happens the mastermind can use his OPL ability to kill the protagonists too.

but yeah, top loving notch game, hope they translate the expansion soon

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

An expansion will be released at Gencon 2015.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUWRYIWlu3k&t=563s

oh poo poo yes. guess i've got something on my gencon list then

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

hey mysterious av guy, posting your dumb unboxing stream as your first post in a thread is tacky as sin and space hulk is a bloated dog fart of a game, buy me an av tia

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

also discworld ankh morpork is an unbalanced heap

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I'm legit a little disappointed that I didn't get one

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Dungeon Quest is a terrible awful game because the title makes you think it's like Dungeon Lords or Dungeon Pets but it's actually completely different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XN9hnRnvJY

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fungah! posted:

I'm legit a little disappointed that I didn't get one

ty whoever gave me one

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Where's the bad game :confused:

It's...in your heart...

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Operation tabletop day final report

Gonblins Inc. - In a world where Galaxy Trucker didn't exist this'd be a great game, in this one it's just a less good version of Galaxy Trucker. Still liked it a lot and the theme owns, but it just feels unnecessary in a post-Vlaada world

Spleondor - Still the most aggressively average game I've ever played. it's my ph 7 for board games, if the game I'm playing is better than spelndour it's at least an OK game and if it's worse it's bad

Tash-Kalare with Everfreost - TK owns and everfrost is good

2p Tsuro - lol

Forbidden Dessert - we won the novice version on the first try. game is good and a pretty solidly hard co-op, but IMO it's got the usual co-op problems (quarterbacking, etc.). If you're sick of pandemic and exactly as good at the game as everyone you're playing with it's good though

Emenint Domain - Good game and i apparently now own a copy of it ant the expac so booyah

Smash Up - lol game's broke as gently caress. I won catastrophically badly with wizards/robots on my first play ever and the dude who brought it said he'd never seen someone pull off some of their dumb combos so well. It worked as a decent wind-down after like 10 hours of gaming but yeah probably not playing again

Booze - couple of beers and a whole bottle of dragon's milk, in a pretty good place. i think I passed out for like ten minutes during emdom or something though

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Also when we went to play 2p Tsuro (lol) we accdentally grabbed tsuro of the seas instead, and IMO it looks worse in every way? the daikaiju poo poo looks like it just makes the game random in a really stupid way and it seems very unnecessary. we ended up just playing tsuro classic using the TotS pieces and then getting bored after a single three minute play

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

bobvonunheil posted:

2 player Tsuro is boring, there's basically no reason to play it. I wouldn't play Tsuro with less than 5, as it's the interaction between all the other players where you can run someone else off the board with your tile placement that makes things fun.

I also own TotS and just use it to play basic Tsuro, I've never actually tried the Daikaiju stuff because it just looks too random to be enjoyable. I guess the point was to make it possible for the game to last longer by clearing existing tiles, but that just removes the end condition and Tsuro lasting like 15 minutes tops is one of its best features.

yeah we mostly tried it as a joke and then ended it by slamming our boats into each other. took all of five minutes and was pretty funny

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bubble-T posted:

This is a pretty common experience for me with terrible games. It makes sense, too - if nobody you play with is competent enough at games to get even close to breaking them it probably makes a lot of games more palatable. Dominion has the reverse case where terrible players find Big Money and decide the game is poo poo.

Yeah, that's what I figure must be happening. Kind of blows my mind though, the "combo" was just play cards that let you play more cards, when you run out of those drop an action that replenishes your hand. Anyway, Smash Up stinks

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm not in the bad games crew and I'm not sure if I'm glad or not.

it's pretty cool

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Also quick EmDom question, if I'm playing 3p is the standard or the long variant better? I played the standard variant and it seemed like it ended way too quickly, but I'm not sure if the long variant would make the game shittier or something. Also how's the 5p play in the expac?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Someone copped to buying the second round in the other thread but I don't know who bought the first round

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

really I'm just glad that I got talisman

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I prefer long variant. It doesn't feel too long in a "win more" way and strategies that race to the game end will still work. The short variant makes the game have too much of a population dependent strategy problem, where if everyone drafts from the same stacks the game might end before some strategies even had a chance, and it can feel like it's out of your control. This is especially important when playing with the scenarios, because you are less flexible so even if you predict people depleting your piles, you might not be able to avoid it

5p seems like it would be bad because all roles would be called, kind of like Race/Rome, but I haven't tried it.

also, you guys are just now figuring out it's ralp? jeesh

Yeah, that was the issue I had, everyone pushed colonization so the game ended very quickly and I was going for a strategy that took a little longer to get rolling so I ended up losing. Still really enjoyed it though, EmDom's about the best non-Dominion deckbuilder I've played. I can definitely see the issues people were talking about where it felt like half a game, but it looks like the expac should fix that.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

New Tash Kalar expansion (in prototype) with demons as the faction, new Galaxy Trucker expansion and Vlaada has a new FPS (board)game called Adrenaline coming out. Hype (BGG link)

Yesss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WMBFghFCIg

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Missed this but anti-Dominion guy, you should check out Eminent Domain. it's pretty good and apart from anything else it's got a great picture of M Bison on the back of the expansion:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

I refer to market row deckbuilders as "parade-style" every now and again, but the proper name is "lovely." It comes as no surprise that no deckbuilder I consider good has a market parade.

Which ones do you consider good, incidentally? Other than Dominion, I mean