Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

CaptainApathyUK posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on Shadowrun Crossfire? Birthday coming up and I'm looking for something new to grab with what is basically "found money" Videos runthroughs I've seen make it look pretty cool, but I'd be interested in hearing goon opinions.

Shadowrun: Crossfire is an ok game that does co-op really well and deckbuilding kinda lovely. Random market, random threats, a very slow draw mechanic, no trashing, and customizable characters (that last one is actually a good thing).

Interesting, and you will definitely get your money's worth out of it, but not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

Hey, thread: Are all of the BSG expansions worth getting, or just some of them? I've heard there are certain elements of some of them that a lot of people don't like, but that doesn't necessarily ruin the expansion as a whole.

Short answer: Get Daybreak.

Long answer: About half of Pegasus is good, and get Daybreak.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Rutibex posted:

Jenga makes for an excellent drinking game. I will also second Dixit if your group already likes CaH.

:psyduck:

How? What...?

Nevermind, it's Rutibex. Just smile and nod...

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Krazyface posted:

There's too many heavy games (i.e. thread favourites) in my collection. Splendor came up on a lot of 2014 best-lists, is it any good?

Splendor is quite literally my baseline. If I play a game and it compares favorably to Splendor, it's a decent to good game. If it's worse than Splendor, I am never touching it again.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Elysium posted:

The board is extra large. You can easily configure the cards and crowns into a space at least 2/3 the size, and that's before considering alternate component sizes. The scoring track doesn't need to nearly be as big if you aren't laying down the crowns. We play without the board at all, hence my interest in tiles, however, given the price for the minimal components already, I would think they can afford tiles.

I don't play with the board either. The entire game fits in one of the large UltraPro deck boxes that are designed for Commander decks and have the compartment on the bottom.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

I've not played, so I'm genuinely asking: how is draw, play for money, score NOT boring and automatic?

Basically, the different cards you can draw really do a lot more than just get money. Otherwise, your point stands.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Lorini posted:

Well said, Rutibex.

Guys we have to reward him when he's right.

Yes, but the only reward I know he'll enjoy is not something I'm willing to give him.

Who in this thread IS willing to sit down to an all day game of Talisman with him?

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Tekopo posted:

I really like Brass and Automobile (the latter seems to be a more controversial opinion).

I enjoyed Automobile the one time I played it, but that sort of game was really not my thing at the time.

Brass is amazing, and if it were still in print I'd own a copy.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Seems like it's available at a lot of places?

Then I am a fool, and I must budget appropriately!

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Played Argent for the first time last night. 4 players.

Holy hell is there a LOT going on this game. I will need to play it some more, but it's pretty freaking good!

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

I'm actually comparing it in my head to Ascension's All-Seeing Eye.

The 6 price point in Dominion is a lot more important than Ascension's, and I think that it's not only priced appropriately, but since there's no way to instantaneously get it into play, it might be too late by the time you get there! I like it.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

I quite like his writing style.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

... we just had two pages discussing bad game avatars. Right then.

I've now played Argent: the Consortium twice... and I still have no idea what I'm doing. I know how to do useful things now that will get me stuff, but I don't know if that stuff will help me win or not. It's a very confusing game.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Toshimo posted:

I think you've got Timmy and Vorthos reversed, or at least, you don't have down what Timmy wants. Timmy wants to feel big and powerful. To command great armies or be a giant monster. King of Tokyo, Munchkin, these are Timmy things. Vorthos wants things dripping in Flavor. Arabian Nights, for example.

That's not actually true. Timmy wants to experience something. Often, that results in playing big, splashy, cool spells. Your game types for Timmy are still correct though. King of Tokyo is literally the Timmiest game.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Rutibex posted:

:eng101:The best powergamer roleplays heavily to hide the fact that he is a min/maxing munchkin, and to curry favor with the DM to get bonus XP
Geez it's like you never even played D&D before.

:allears:

Seriously, you are a treasure to this thread.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Single Tight Female posted:

Thanks board game thread for the recent resurgence of Dominion chat, that basic client linked a while back got me to finally try it out; within an hour I'd ordered the base set, within 2 days I'd ordered Intrigue and Hinterlands (Intrigue because I frequently play with 5+ people and the same site had Hinterlands cheap) and within the week I had 4 friends who only wanted to play Dominion for the rest of their lives.

No. Dominion with 5+ is awful. If you are going to play Dominion with that many people, play two games instead.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Single Tight Female posted:

That wasn't really well written, I meant my gaming group is usually 5 or more. I have no intention of playing it 5 or 6 player. Frankly so far I've preferred 3 to 4, and am trying to engineer a 2 player game.

Then we're good, and apologies for jumping on you.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

admanb posted:

Yes that's far more likely than random boardgame thread posters knowing less about production and distribution costs than the company that's been selling CAH for four years.

Eh, if we vilify them we can feel better about making GBS threads on their kickstarter.

I probably would not enjoy the game, but I don't particularly care about their business practices. I'm merely happy that this wasn't a political campaign.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Gort posted:

OK, but it's not like it's in the three-hours-it's-late-everyone-is-cranky-let's-finish-the-game-so-we-can-go-to-sleep-oh-what-you-won-how-that's-bullshit zone either. The longer a game is, the more important it is that it be highly balanced.

I don't think either of these sentences are actually true.

So in my experience, Betrayal takes an hour and 45 minutes (I do not play with AP people usually; my experiences with this game do not involve such people); and 60% of the time the winner is pretty obvious from the word go.

As for the "glorified setup phase" comment, I agree with that. There is no goal for the first half of the game but "explore". Frankly, I enjoy that, but the criticism is valid.

I'm not sure what your experience with the game is, but it doesn't line up with mine.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Durendal posted:

We then played Pictomania where I had to to draw Green :saddowns:.

:allears:

Ok, now I want this game.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

To be fair, I think Ascension is better than Star Realms, but it's paper edition is expensive as hell and Star Realms was only $10 for the full set, can't beat that. It's also a bit simpler and has co-op and solo challenges, which is ideal for us.

As for Marvel, yeah I don't want to get into boosters and crap, just wanted to get the starter sets and was wondering if they're worth it?

I can think of at least four ways to go infinite in Ascension, depending on which expansions you have thrown in. If that's better than Star Realms, I'm not sure what to tell you.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

admanb posted:

At least going infinite is fun, unlike basically anything you do in Star Realms.

Crashing an app by overflowing the arrays because you've played more cards than the developers expected is kinda fun, I guess.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Lorini posted:

Oh you mean the game that defines king making. I sold that game in the middle of playing it the first time.

Nah, Smallworld defines Kingmaking. Nightfall defines "we need MORE DIRECT CONFLICT in our combo games!"

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Robust Laser posted:

Oh poo poo, there's a word game deckbuilder? i love both of those things somebody tell me more about it.

Get it. It doesn't overstay its welcome and it works just fine. It is not the epitome of gaming, but it is lovely.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

medchem posted:

I've talked to several of the Magic designers about the mana screw/flood and the land-based engine thing. Essentially, they claim one of the biggest benefits of all this is that it allows for the possibility that a worse player with a worse deck can beat a better player with a better deck. I think this is somewhat of a copout defense. Couple that with the fact that all formats of Magic require you to spend lots of money to get the superior lands, and the fact that in Standard, the most popular format of Magic, these lands rotate out every 1.5 years, and it just makes it feel like they're just trying to exploit people. Sure, other games also try to have randomness in results of games, but they at least do so in ways like "you have to curve out" or "we'll decide damage with dice". Maybe I just played way too much Magic, but I find those newer ways of randomizing game results to be more acceptable than the way Magic wants to do it.

I believe that sums up the rest of your post, actually. They haven't, and won't, change the resource format in Magic because it is very conducive to their marketing strategy. Regardless of how exploitative it is, it works.

Edit VVVVVVVV: You realize that. I realize that. The rest of the thread probably realizes that. A new player won't realize that because that one time their opponent gets mana screwed is what they're going to remember because they totally beat an expert at the game. Hey, this game is cool, let's buy more cards.

OmegaGoo fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 17, 2015

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Rutibex posted:

Don't get me wrong, I love Magic too, no other game has that kind of variety and player base. But don't kid yourself, they design the mechanics of the game to increase sales.

A healthy, well-designed game increases sales.

Just adding to the point. There's a reason Magic is at a very high point popularity-wise right now; R&D has done a very good job with the design of the last many blocks (starting with Ravnica, basically; CawBlade notwithstanding).

Back to board game chat: What are some good party games that don't require a lot of creativity? Click Clack Lumberjack comes to mind, but are there any other good ones?

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

silvergoose posted:

Yeah, it sure did.

Oddly enough, so does Morels (which looks like a fairly interesting, light 2p game with a couple bad mechanics). Unfortunately, I haven't played it yet, so I can't say more.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

McNerd posted:

Morels is a fine little game. It's a quick, light 2P game with nice art and enough depth to stay interesting for as long as I've had it. Its biggest problem is that I slightly prefer Lost Cities, for the same niche; but I could see someone preferring Morels, or of course owning both for variety.

Odin's Ravens is the best light 2P game I've played. I don't know of many other games I would describe as beautiful.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

You guys' gripes about market row drafting basically boils down to not liking RNG elements, which are a fundamental part of many great games. I think the fact that there are 5+ choices to buy from in say Ascension downplays the effect of RNG, as opposed to a game like Carcassonne where you draw 1 tile face down and are completely at the mercy of RNG (I like both games a lot too).

Have you played Ascension's first expansion? There's a card called Black Hole that, if gotten in the first two shuffles, wins you the game. That is not acceptable.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

CodfishCartographer posted:

Can someone write some words about Argent: The Consortium? I've seen the thread praise it, but I don't actually know much about it. It's on sale and I'm considering buying it, but I don't really know much about the gameplay or what makes it special.

Extremely modular, cutthroat as all getout, directly competitive worker placement game. It also has elements of combos and "gently caress you" thrown in. Basically, there is a lot going on.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

This actually has me interested in this game. My group tends to get bored of the 'multiplayer solitaire' type games pretty fast, but games were you can screw over your buddy and/or call someone a dirty cylon are usually a hit.

Argent would be a good choice then. It's the exact opposite of multiplayer solitaire. Your dudes are probably not going to stay where you put them.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

Yo, normal people don't overthink things this much and just experience a thing we call, "fun". Hth.

This is the wrong thread to be bringing up what normal people do. We're discussing board games on Something Awful. I don't think we're in the realm of normal anymore.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

So, verdict for iOS Coup:

Don't get it. The model sucks.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Aerox posted:

Edit: The game still has problems, but we have a couple guys in our group who are really into storytelling stuff and we're happy to indulge them in the game once in a while. I understand and agree that the traitor mechanic is completely broken, but I'm honestly a little surprised at how much vitriol for the game there is. It's definitely not a perfect game but it's not anywhere close to some of the worst games we've played.

Most of the hate for the game is predicated on the following:

1) The traitor mechanic is extremely poorly done.
2) Most of what it has to offer was done better by Mall/City of Horror and Battlestar Galactica years before this game was released.
3) The amount of hype surrounding this game is much higher than its mechanical soundness should allow for.

Edit: To clarify that last point a little, Dead of Winter was highly touted in this thread around GenCon last year, but then people played it a few more times and realized that it wasn't nearly as good as they initially thought. After it had been discussed to death and "the hive mind" (I hate that description) had decided it wasn't good, it came in second on BGG's Game of the Year for 2014.

OmegaGoo fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 24, 2015

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Madmarker posted:

The only card I really dislike in Seaside is Pirate Ship. I don't know if it is just my group, or if the thing is just overpowered, but its an attack that eventually ramps up into being a poo poo ton of money every round. If it shows up, I just tend to try and buy as many of them as I can, and maybe a village or 2, so that I can use it twice in a turn.

It does ramp that fast. In three uses in a three player game, it + 2 copper is a Province. And multiple Pirate Ships stack.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Woah that is not how that card works at all.

Each pirate ship use puts a maximum of one token on your map.

Pirate ship is usually unusable in 2p, situationally somewhat good in 3p, and sometimes very good in 4p.

There's a reason it was in the list of Top 5 worst $4 cards.

So it does. I have been having a really bad RTFC problem recently.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Pillage, Death Cart, Graverobber, Procession, Feodum, Sage, and Poor House. I've never seen any of those lead to an interesting game and/or decision tree.

Then your experience with the game is poor. I played a game where I won almost entirely with Feodums and a trashing engine. Graverobber can lead to some very interesting decisions and plays very differently if it's the only trashing outlet in a kingdom vs. multiple trashing outlets. A friend of mine made a deck with his main money cards as Poor House.

I have seen every card work well in some deck or another. The only two cards I don't like are Pirate Ship (which I just learned I read wrong) and Rebuild. And maaaaybe Swindler.

On the other hand, could someone explain to me the Baker hate? I like the way it changes the game up, but I'm not sure it's any better than a Market.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

CodfishCartographer posted:

Couple more questions on specific things in Argent: for the Great Hall room, do you get the reward for each mage you place into it? If not, why would you want to put more than one mage into it? With the Astronomy Tower room, can you move the token multiple times (paying for each) and get multiple rewards, or do you just pay one lump sum to move it the appropriate number of spaces, then get the reward you end on?

Yes, you get the reward for each mage you place into the Great Hall.

Astronomy Tower only gives you the final resting spot's reward, but you can pay-to-move as many times as you like before stopping.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

I believe he was talking about assembling minis, unless I completely misread/misunderstood his post.

Basically any Soda Pop Minitures game would work. Warning: they're not great games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Trynant posted:

If you can find it, Container is a game about setting prices to hell and back.

Container is one of those weird games with a closed economy. Money can leave the game, but there is no influx; all "income" is obtained from other players.

It is seriously an amazing game.