Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
It is nearly Autumn in this year of our lord, 2017, and, yet, do I still see a glowing recommendation for Love Letter in the OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

jivjov posted:

Does Love Letter stop being awesome in Fall or something?

Love Letter was never a great game. Rarely does the choice between which of two card require any consideration, since in nearly all circumstances the choice is obvious. Hold high cards, play low cards for effects, rinse, repeat. Without meaningful decisions, it's a fidget toy, a tactile social engagement to shoot the poo poo over. It is not an "awesome" game.

It takes five minutes to play, so, sure, if you have exactly and only five minutes, go ahead and play Love Letter. Outside of that specific circumstance, you are better off with a different game.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Tekopo posted:

I think that's the point, though. Because it only takes like 2-5 minutes to play, the issues of randomness are attenuated. No one thinks that Love Letter is some high strategy mental workout, but for when you want something to pass the time, it's perfect. I used to play it when waiting for people to arrive when playing 18XX. The OP even says that it's perfect as a filler.

If you only have five minutes before you train game starts, why not just have a conversation with your friends? Love Letter adds nothing to your game night.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

homullus posted:

Love Letter is good, accessible, has interesting decisions (especially when playing with those familiar with the game and game state), and does so with a tiny deck and table footprint. Additionally, you may be a broken robot if you earnestly believe that playing Love Letter is mutually exclusive with having a conversation with your friends.

I would rather talk to my friends while playing a game that isn't garbage designed for children and clowns, but I guess if you yourself predominantly play on top of an overturned milk crate behind the circus, then I must concede your point. Beep boop.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Sloober posted:

1. Munchkin
2. Flux
3. ???

???

Talisman

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
Tragedy Looper is, I have been told, a wonderful game, but I would never know because it has proven impossible to convince anyone to actually play it.

PS Anime is good

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
:siren:Fireball Island is getting a reboot:siren:
http://restorationgames.com/fireball-island/

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Moriatti posted:

I like Secret Hitler for that player count, but I'm not sure it adds much you aren't getting from Resistance, so only add it if you enjoy that genre a lot.

Any who suggests Secret Hitler to their fellow man deserves to be first against the wall when the revolution comes.

Edit: Second against the wall. The first to pay for their sins will be the CAH evangelists.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
Secret Hitler isn't a deduction game, as it is impossible to say for sure if anything is true. By allowing blue team (liberals?) to play fascist policies (either by choice for the card effect, or involuntarily because they forced to chose between two fascist policies), it becomes impossible to deduce anything. Without deduction, it's not a social deduction game. It's just an activity you can do to pass the time while, I assume, making anti-Semitic jokes.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Bobby The Rookie posted:

The policy deck introduces random chance into the game's social deduction aspect, which is good only for people who are terrible liars but bad for everybody else because you can pick a good team and still get screwed on the policies. Likewise, the two-person party limit of chancellor and president is rather boring and only the slightest bit risky because of the aforementioned randomness of the policy deck.

*extremely Denzel Washington voice* My man!

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
I will admit that the Secret Hitler components are amazing. More social deduction games need tiny envelopes to hold role cards, and the Chancellor placard, while wholly superfluous, is a pretty baller prop.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
Just dropping in to remind everyone that Millennium Blades is the dopest poo poo, and you're a sucka if you aren't playing it on the regular.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

djfooboo posted:

Playing tonight actually! Can't wait to run some mega jank.

May all your clashes draw into 8-stars, my brother!

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
How are y'all talking about dexterity games without bringing up Cube Quest? Cube Quest is dope.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

CaptainRightful posted:

A "local" dude is selling Cave Evil + expansion for $280 if anyone's interested in an exceedingly rare game with elaborate death metal graphics that is also mechanically terrible.

I bought Cave Evil during its second print run for only $100. I have never played it, but every once in a while someone notices it on my shelf. We take it down, marvel at the artwork, then put it away to play a better game. That's my story, thanks for listening.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
Regardless of the why, can't we all just agree that Tom is an unbelievably boring basement dwelling troglodyte, and move on with out lives?

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

loving hideous.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
The weirdest theme for a game is Guts Of Glory, in which players try to eat more rubber tires, radioactive waste, and spiders than their opponent. The game features upgrades like extra teeth, and heavily involves a regurgitating into other people's mouths mechanic.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

This looks delightful!

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Fellis posted:

A group of children showed Broken Loose that the Fun was in his heart the whole time, so he uttered the forbidden joke and burst into a million pieces. And henceforth people could play games without describing them with useless qualifiers

They made a direct to vhs disney movie about it

I miiss BLs insightful commentary on games, and I wish that Kickstarter had to fruition.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

God bless this meme

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
How well does Gasland compare to Mobile Frame Zero, the world's premier LEGO based miniature skirmish game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
I finally tried Patchwork and I've returned to this thread after like 18 months to let you all know I'm very mad that the tiles don't fit together nicely on the player boards. Sad!!