Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sonatinas posted:

I played Caverna for the first time over the weekend and compared to playing a lot of Agricola it was an easy transition. There are a lot more options and I felt like I needed to balance both the farm and the mines while still going on adventures. It is definitely easier to feed your family. I think the traumatic experiences I've had previously in Agricola made me build a decent food engine early so my dwarves won't suffer.

One main advantage(in a casual setting), in my opinion, it has over Agricola is not having any cards. If you just want to play the game casually then you can be more comfortable playing Caverna since everything is in front of you. With Agricola, if you don't know all the cards or people in your group go over every card and such, the people who don't play as much or do their homework with cards might not have as good a time. This also applies to people who don't like drafting games.

Both games can definitely exist in your collection. Agricola(with a draft in the beginning) is a more competitive game I think.

You can play Agricola without the cards. It's called "family mode" you just flip over the board and it has different spaces for playing that way. :eng101:

PerniciousKnid posted:

You guys are kind of making me want to take another attempt at reading the rules of the Agricola game I inherited.
:twisted: :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

jmzero posted:

Magic Talk
The card pool isn't really good enough to support interesting multiplayer play; I wouldn't buy this if that's what you're after. It's a single player campaign.

If that's what you're after then don't buy Duel of the Planeswalkers at all. Play with Magic: Forge (now with Android support!). It has more features than I could list; it supports every card and format in Magic imaginable with all sorts of AIs. The only thing it doesn't do is online Multiplayer (because the program is seriously better than Magic Online and would destroy it immediately so they fear WotC wrath):

http://www.slightlymagic.net/wiki/Forge

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Poison Mushroom posted:

So, funny story. I was clicking around looking at solo games on BGG (because that is what I do with my free time), and I stumbled upon Tower of the Dread Mage, a pen-and-paper micro-RPG, played with a pencil on graph paper. Its rather luck-based, as you might expect from a game that small, and doesn't have much tactical depth at all. Still. the retro design charmed me, and I gave it a couple plays. Out of curiosity, I decided to take a look at when it was first made, suspecting it'd be late-70s, early 80s.

And my first thought was "I could do this better than that". Knowing that I wouldn't be able to do much with one page, either, I instead opted to double my design space. Two pages of rules, two pages of tables. Still played with a pencil, graph paper, and two six-sided dice. And twenty-four hours later, I have a first draft of this horrible, horrible game that's probably barely any better at all than the inspiration, and is in desperate need of playtesting, and getting torn to shreds by people with better game design sensibilities than I.

Without further do, The Labyrinth of S'xsyde.

:eyepop:
I love poo poo like this! I have like 50 of these micro-game one sheet games that I have culled from BGG and print out when I'm particularly bored. One suggestion; you should make this into a Pocket Mod. All the best micro games are hip Pocket Mods these days:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Robust Laser posted:

I should have listened. I was all like "man sometimes I like the games that the board game thread doesn't so whatever WHAT COULD GO WRONG" I am a fool.

I guess if there was an upside it's that when you play a digital version of a bad game vs computers, nobody cares if you play phone games in between turns.

Computer Talisman can get annoying like that (which is why I always blast the Healer card with Destruction). But the actual board game is played by actual people who can be reasonable and recognize when a game has going into a loop like that. In that case I would offer than last guy a roll off "I already have the Crown of Command so I get 1-5, if we roll 6 you win the game". Then you roll once and its over. This is the major advantage of board games over computer; like the computer Agricola won't let me play with all the cards solo because that's "against the rules". Lucky I own the physical game so no one can enforce rules on me.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fungah! posted:

It does fantasy the fantasy SWAT "wander around, murder stuff and get money/get paid" gameplay as well as any pure dungeon crawler out there and IMO the co-op mode's the best way to play the game. It's not a 1:1 thing but it definitely scratches a very similar itch

Mage Knight is wonderful in that you can call it almost anything and it's the best of that category. Best deckbuilder? Mage Knight! Best Dungeon Crawler? Mage Knight! Best Co-Op game? Mage Knight! Best resource management game? MOTHERFUCKING MAGEKNIGHT

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fungah! posted:

Uh yeah keeping live animals in your store's pretty much a no-no

My local gaming store had a cat named Rusty. He was adorable and slept in the empty comic boxes. He got to be super fat from nerds feeding him slim jims and cheetos and died :( RIP Rusty

Here is the store, they made a really bad web series in there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esx6FzGsqfA

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

goodness posted:

I'm looking for some solo games with high replayability. Picked up Takenoko and Dominion to try and get the gf interested but that fails I need a backup plan.

"solo game with high replayability" is my favorite kind of game. There are lots! I own all of these and would recommend them to anyone looking for a solo game that won't get old:

-Agricola
-Mage Knight
-Forbidden Desert/Island
-Pandemic
-Pathfinder Adventure Cards
-Tales of the Arabian Nights
-Robinson Crusoe
-Arkham Horror

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So I'm considering getting Mage Wars but should I wait for the upcoming arena core pack? And does anyone have any experience with the game if it's a good one?

Only buy Mage Wars if you have someone lined up to play it with you already. Finding an opponent is like finding the holy grail.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 22, 2015

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

fozzy fosbourne posted:

My impression is that actively blocking other players is a pretty strong strategy in 2-3p games of Agricola. Keeping opponents out of animal food supply and room building actions (even doing poo poo like building a fence for no reason!). I'm not a pro though.

Blocking is quite powerful in 2-player Agricola because most resources have only one space. That means if you make an effort you could deny someone clay/reeds/etc entirely. You will develop very slowly wasting your actions grabbing all the clay; but they will starve and drown in begging cards without being able to build any kind of stove.

3-player is a lot trickier as there are alternative spaces for most resources. Most often in 3-player and up you are better off just grabbing whatever space is best for your own development rather than attempt to block people. You can also only block one person in a 3 player game. When you block you are harming yourself, it's only a useful strategy if you hurt your opponent more. In a 3-player game you will block one guy (hurting both of you) to the advantage of your second opponent.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 22, 2015

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PopZeus posted:

What I find interesting and what I've been thinking about recently, is denial in 3 or 4 player games where you can't affect everyone at once. For example, I've been playing lots of quick games of TTR recently on my phone, and I've tried strategies based around denying routes to other players. I completed a few small routes pretty quickly and then focused my attention on blocking Red and Yellow player routes (this is against AI). Red was obviously going a certain way so I built a couple routes to stop him from connecting his cities. When the game ended, I realized my strategy had worked extremely well... against only the Red player. Once I blocked him, since I had finished my routes he couldn't retaliate, so he just kept trying to build around it. This gave me a decent score and Red a terrible score. Yellow, though, happily built on unencumbered and crushed us both. The only way I could've won is if while I blocked Red, he tried to block Yellow, tanking their score, too.

So there's this weird balance where the game would've been close only if we all went in a rock-paper-scissors circle of aggression. Any two players fighting amongst themselves just allow the 3rd too much freedom. Makes me appreciate the difficultly of balancing 3 player games in particular, since politics are inescapable and playing with people who aren't in the same headspace as everyone else can throw off the game and make spiteful kingmaking too easy.

The best part of TTR is when you finally finish your routes and it becomes time to figure out if you're better off:
-Building the longest route
-Building as many 5-6 car tracks as possible
-Dumping trains to end the game as quickly as possible before others can complete their routes
-Figuring out other peoples destinations and blocking them :twisted:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lichtenstein posted:

Talisman with Nickelback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNuu4linpSw

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tekopo posted:

Only one or two of the players would listen to that, everyone else would have 'Sad Trombone' on repeat.

This is the true soundtrack of Talisman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

homullus posted:

Mentally going back through 70s-90s music with special attention to the Cold War resonance is pretty fun. I wish "Let's Make a Cold War Soundtrack" wasn't such a digression for this thread.

Songs to go with you favorite game is on topic :colbert:

Lichtenstein posted:

When playing Cards Against Humanity

Cards Against Humanity's theme song must be by Wesley Willis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjjujau9hUw

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 23, 2015

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Poison Mushroom posted:

So, have we decided what the definitive shark-jumping point for SU&SD was? The second sci-fi special was pretty bad, but personally, I feel like the quality began to wane right around the time they started putting The Opener in the mix, too.

When they gave Warhammer Diskwars a bad review after playing it wrong for 3 days :v:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

thespaceinvader posted:

For new players, Caverna. It's a lot less punishing than Agricola, and more likely to make them into old players.

Really, it only feels like that. A newbie is going to lose at Caverna 100% of the time just like they will at Agricola.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Robust Laser posted:

I know the imps in Dungeon Petz will work good in a pinch as caltrops, but are there any board games with pieces as dangerous as that, or even more dangerous?

I think we all know the answer to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4ebunID0KI

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Madmarker posted:

Are you......Rutibex?

Lets not go crazy here I never owned a Munchkin set and I never will :colbert:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
As far as my board gaming history: I guess I got started off playing Chess, Checkers, Scrabble, Rummy-O, and Monopoly (with no auctions and money on Free Parking) with my family. In grade school I started playing Magic and D&D because my friends older brothers where into it. This was back when you could still get Mox or Black Lotus in packs; I remember trading my "useless" dual lands to my friend for some much more useful Air Elementals and Royal Assassins :v: I played Magic up until the Alliances expansion and I continued with various D&D groups to this day. Our D&D group played Risk and Munchkin on occasion when we didn't have enough people for D&D. Eventually people got kind of bored of D&D (no one wanted to DM) and we just sort of drifted into playing Munchkin, Cards Against Humanity, Risk, and Texas Holdem. I was getting really sick of munchkin and I knew there had to be a better way so I started looking into that funny other section of the comic shop I had long ignored: the designer boardgames. I actually went over there to look for a new Munchkin set that might spice things up, maybe vampires or space. Instead my eyes where drawn to Pathfinder Adventure Cards.

Our D&D group had transitioned to Pathfinder instead of 4th edition D&D because it was a more faithful system so I was already familiar with the brand. It promised D&D without a DM so I got it and brought it to our next gaming session; it went over well. We got bored with it quickly though so I started checking out board game stuff like this thread, Tabletop, BoardGameGeek, etc. Over the next couple of weeks I would get a few more games: Fluxx, Lords of Waterdeep, then Agricola. Once we settled on Agricola that's mostly what we played, with occasional one off nights for games like Arkham Horror, Talisman, Catan, Tales of Arabian Nights, etc. We liked playing these "classics" to get an appreciation for all the board games we missed along the way (even if we play Agricola 75% of the time). We never played these games when they came out so we aren't sick of them yet. Arkham Horror is way better than Risk so we're still having a great time. Even if it has it's own flaws it's nice to bust it out for one night to get a feel for why it has a bijillion expansions, same with something like Talisman.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

alathar posted:

Just found Twilight Struggle for $20 at goodwill. I guess it's time to read about what makes this the #1 rated game on bgg. From what I've skimmed so far, I probably shouldn't read the cards so that I'm equally (un)prepared as whoever I find to play it with?

:eyepop: That's a great find! I'm surprised they put it up for $20, that implies they knew what it was. Every time I found a "good" board game at Goodwill it was shoved in with the puzzles and priced at $5 just the same as the Monopoly Jr and Trivial Pursuits.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kai Tave posted:

Y'know, I'm gonna be honest about it, I also played a few games of Fluxx around the post-college period of Arkham Horror and Betrayal and such, and compared to Munchkin I would play Fluxx any day of the week because at least Fluxx ends and ends quickly. Like yes, it's a game with no real depth at all to it and nothing in the way of strategizing, but as a "game you're playing because the host wanted to play something brainless as a sort of social facilitator" it's vastly better than Munchkin, less likely to reveal awkward and uncomfortable things about people you know like CAH, and doesn't require even the setup of something like Monopoly or Trivial Pursuit.

I know three or four people are going to rush to tell me this is the essence of damning with faint praise which, no poo poo, but I still find Fluxx comparatively inoffensive next to what I suppose you'd consider its peers.

No you're entirely right Fluxx is a fun, decent filler game. It can drag on like Munchkin. The more people that are playing Fluxx the more "screw you" cards will be out there preventing the game from being won. A two player game often lasts no longer than 5-min, an 8-player game could drag forever. Most of the time it ends quickly though. People say that there is no excuse not to be playing Coup or Love Letter instead but meh I say Fluxx is on the same level :shrug:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

FISHMANPET posted:

Speaking of storing contents, is there a source for really really really tiny storage boxes? I threw out the little plastic bags for meeples in Viticulture because there are 6 slots for 6 colors, but I'm finding they're a pain in the rear end to get out of the tray. I saw a picture on BGG with some tiny plastic containers that fit into the slots, but I haven't found anything that small online.

The dollar store is your best friend for plastic containers of all sizes. All the way from tiny spice/weed container up to tackle boxes. The craft sections often have nice wooden boxes too if you want to get fancy.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
At what level of funding will a backer be able to add their own custom Final Attack! to the finished game?

PerniciousKnid posted:

So... do you have to shout the final attack when playing solo?

Yes :colbert:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

:golfclap:
Why a space man?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sloober posted:

I don't even think it's the same dimension.

Those who enter the Timescape rarely leave....unchanged

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

bobvonunheil posted:

I draw the Omnipotent Being. Oh hey, I rolled a 6! I will go to the Crown of Command please.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zveroboy posted:

As Poopy Palpy said they're both very good games and have enough differences that you can have both.

Agricola is stressful, you're always wobbling on the starvation line, and because it uses the cards every game is different. It's really about making do with what you have and trying to be as efficient with your actions as possible.

Caverna to me wasn't stressful, but still offers a lot of variety. The cards are just replaced with so many things to do or build there's no way you can do them all in just a few games. You can have whatever you want, but the key is finding that past of least resistance and most points through the myriad of options.

I slightly perfer Agricola, but I wouldn't turn down a game of Caverna if invited to one.

Honestly I think the "stress" is good for new players. It focuses your strategy in a game that would otherwise be incredibly open and nebulous. There are only a few paths through any Agricola game that will get you a 5 person stone house with no begger cards. Agricola gives you feedback as the game goes on. After a bit of experience with the game you aren't going to ever take a begging card; the purpose of the cards is to act as a bludgeon to narrow the options and make the game more understandable. Sure you can build a Joinery in the first week, or a Well, or do a million other things but if you do you will not have enough actions to feed your family and it will not be worth the points. It allows you to easily discard a lot of potential actions and laser focus on one build order.

There are so many options in Caverna and almost all of them will end up giving you a fully fed family. That means you have to consider exponentially more game paths. It's actually a heck of a lot more complex to suss out a good strategy with so many divergent paths. You might come up with a really terrible strategy but you will have no idea it is terrible until the game is over. Agricola tells you your strategy is bad in 4 turns minimum, easily enough to work out in your head. Caverna only gives you feedback on the progress of your strategy a single time, when the scores are calculated.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

jmzero posted:

When you first play the game, it seems like there's lots of decisions to be made in terms of how to lay out your farm, etc.. - but many of these become non-decisions quickly (at least when playing with the base card sets). You end up building your fields, rooms and fences in about the same place every game, and there's little reason to change unless you get one of a few specific cards (eg. Window Planters or whatever it's called).

This is what I like about Farmers on The Moor expansion. It makes you design your farm in completely different ways, even in solo. Trying to work around the randomized trees/peat patches makes the "geometry game" aspect of Agricola 10x better yet doesn't harm the base game or really make it take much longer.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zveroboy posted:

So I played a solo game of Agricola tonight.

I got 22 points.

I'm sorry, I'll leave now :smith:

A 50 is a passing grade in solo; 22? :eng99:

Zveroboy posted:

Aye but then I looked in my scorebook and saw my previous two solo games were 44 and 39 points.

I think what I did wrong was I got a few cards that all sort of worked together and I just tunnel visioned into then.

Choose Woodcutter for my first occupation and got the Private Forest out early as well. Then I got Master Builder and Turnwrest Plough out. I had a lot of wood available, so I was able to get my house to 5 rooms and Master Builder gave me a sixth. I was able to make three 2-square pastures and the plough allowed me to plough the remaining 3 spaces in one action.

While I was doing all this though I was only just scraping by on food. Because I didn't have any decent food production going I struggled to feed a 3 person family nevermind getting more family members, so I wasn't able to renovate the house or get any point giving cards into play.

Why are you building Fences so early? Ideally you should not build them until the turn you plan on taking the animals; animals will live quite happily for free on the board. Any animals you are taking before the final round should go right into the oven and be eaten, you don't need any fences. You should have saved Master builder until the end and extended your stone house. Stone is much more costly than wood.

Edit:
This is from BGG. It's a solo game of Agricola with family mode. This is Agricola "Big Money". If your strategy with cards can't beat this build order you shouldn't be doing it. The fun is figuring out if you can:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/335781/solo-play-family-game-challenge-what-best-possible

quote:

Turn 1: Sheep. Plow, take grain.
Turn 2: Improvement. Plow, take grain.
Turn 3: Sow/Bake Bread. Sow 2 grain, day laborer for 2 food.
Turn 4: Fences. Fishing pond for 4 food, take 4 clay. (Spend all 6 food at harvest. Harvest 2 grain.)
Turn 5: Stone. Buy cooking hearth for 4 clay, take 5 reeds.
Turn 6: Family growth. Take 12 wood, add to house and build 3 stables - on the 3 spaces in the far right column.
Turn 7: Renovate/Improve. Family growth and take 7 sheep - keep 3 and turn 4 into 8 food. (Spend 7 food at harvest. Harvest 2 grain, breed 1 sheep. 1 food left over.)
Turn 8: Vegetable. Plow, take 1 veg., take 4 clay.
Turn 9: Wild boar. Plow, sow 1 veg. and 1 grain and bake 2 bread into 6 food, take 5 stone. (Bake 1 sheep, spend 9 of 9 food - 0 left over. Harvest 3 grain and 1 veg. Breed 1 sheep.)
Turn 10: Cattle. Renovate to clay hut and build well, Plow, Build basket weaver's. (Take 1 food from well.)
Turn 11: Stone. Take 'n bake 4 sheep, take 7 fish, plow. (Bake 1 sheep, then breed one. Spend 9 food. Harvest 1 grain and 1 veg. Get 1 food from well.)
Turn 12: Family growth. Family growth, take 3 stone, build stone oven. (Take 1 food from well.)
Turn 13: Plow/sow. Family growth, take 8 reeds, take 3 stone, sow 3 grain and 1 veg. and bake 2 bread into 8 food. (Turn 1 reed into 3 food, bake 1 sheep for two more. Harvest 4 grain and 2 veg., breed 1 sheep, take 1 food from well.)
Turn 14: Renovate/Fences. Take wood, renovate to stone and build fences,take sheep, boar, and cattle. (Bake 1 sheep, turn 1 reed into 3 food. Breed 1 sheep, 1 boar, and 1 cattle.)

The fences look like this in the right-hand 2 columns of the board:

_ _
|_ _|
|_|_|
|_ _|

Maxes all categories = 28
3-room stone house = 6
5 Family members = 15
3 Fenced stables = 3

Well = 4
Stone Oven = 3
Cooking Hearth = 1
Basketmaker's Workshop = 2 + 3 bonus.

Total of 65.
I did this a couple of months ago with the help of the java solo version and a couple of layovers at airports, but I haven't looked at it much since then, so it can probably be improved. An earlier first family growth, maybe? Or possibly build 2 rooms and a stable at that first build to get two fast growths?

Edits: Grammar and clarifications.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 31, 2015

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Crackbone posted:

It has a 122 page rulebook. It's the fever dream of a diseased genius.

That must be some kind of condensed, abridged, tutorial version. You want the complete 273 page rules of Magic Realm:

http://www.nexoid.at/mr/MR32.pdf

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Impermanent posted:

Man I should just have listed all the games I own because I have a biweekly Mage Knight group and that game is A+ in my book. (Also I played in the 1st thread hosted by our most gracious game master Tekopo.)

I just got the Lost Legion expansion for Mage Knight so now with Krang I have the whole set (I wish there was more :( ). There are so many scenarios and variations to Mage Knight in the book and the game kind of encourages you to house rule a bit, so how does everyone else play?

I just got General Volkare so I always include him in the mix and do the Volkares Quest or just substitute him for a 5th city randomly. I also usually play with most of the optional rules in the back. Gives a bit more of a "Heroes of Might and Magic" feel to it and the cumulative bonuses for a variety of spaces make for interesting strategic long term choices:
-Rampage: At the end of each day/night roll to see if defeated rampaging enemies return
-Mines Liberation: Mines start with a green&brown monster guarding them. When conquered mark them, they produce +1 gem every day/night and are worth 4 Fame
-Druid Nights: Mark Magic Glades you end your turn on. You may at night remove all your markers to fight that many Brown tokens simultaneously. You gain double Fame for each one you defeat and one random crystal for each one summoned
-Dungeon Lords: Every time you turn over a village place a face down Brown token on an adjacent space of your choice, this space is now a dungeon. When you reveal a Monastery do the same thing except with a Red token, this space is now a Tomb. Conquered Tombs/Dungeons count as adjacent to each other for the purposes of movement.
-Mage Towers: When you are on or adjacent to a controlled Mage Tower at the start of your turn you gain one gold (during the day) or one black (during the night) mana for each Mage Tower you control.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Impermanent posted:

We effectively play Mage Knight with the PvP combat rules off, but we may consider changing that. For competitive play, I wouldn't be surprised if we started implementing some of the "screw the leader" options for dealing with whenever someone is able to pull ahead very early.

I wouldn't mind playing with magic glades on in order to offer more options to players that get screwed over by movement. That Mage Tower house rule though seems like it would be very easy to pull all the spells someone would want out of a single mage tower.

Oh I forgot to add: you don't get a free spell when conquering Mage Towers to compensate for the fact the learning spells is much easier during the day. It's from the "Hold and Conquer" variant in the back the the rulebook. Makes it more interesting to conquer a lot of Mage Towers as a strategy beyond accumulating spells.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Echophonic posted:

I've never found Zee (the other guy in the top 10s) all that offensive, he's better than Vasel or Sam at explaining why he likes something.

Zee likes the most obscure games that I have never heard of. His opinion is usually the only one worth listening to just for how odd it is.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Madmarker posted:

Unfortunately, 7+ is a tough number, there are a few Euro's that support 6 players, Ground Floor, Agricola, Caverna. However most boardgames have a range of somewhere between 2-5 players, so its almost always best just to split the table, as has been previously mentioned.

Agricola only supports 5 even with the expansion, Caverna actually supports up to 7 so that might be a good choice.

Poison Mushroom posted:

I just spent the last two days home sick, and hammering out a Pokemon hack for HeroQuest of all things, to get some online friends to dip their toes into other board games.

This is my life, these are my choices. :cripes:

I like that you are more ashamed of the Heroquest than the Pokemon.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zylen posted:

I'm on a bit of a board game bender at the moment, having bought Netrunner at the beginning of January, Doomtown last weekend and both Tash Kalar and Mage Knight should be arriving tomorrow.

Now I'm a huge fan of Vlaada Chvatil, already owning Space Alert and Galaxy Trucker, so I'm pretty excited for the new arrivals. However I was wondering if there are any tips or things I need know before the boyfriend and I dive in - most likely with regards to Mage Knight?

Mage Knight has a lot of moving parts I suggest watching someone play though a game on youtube before even attempting the solo tutorial. Also you should go ahead and order the Lost Legion expansion now because you will as soon as you finish your first game anyway :D

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Poison Mushroom posted:

Talisman uses cards for monsters. Talisman lets you choose to go left OR right. Therefore, by your own rules, the only example is Chutes and Ladders.

When playing Candyland there are a few basic principals to optimal play:

*Be sure to draw Candy Hearts and Peppermint stick forest early for an initial boost. Leave them too long and they may bring you backwards.
*Always draw the same colour, this ensures that you will travel the maximum of 7 spaces every turn!
*It may be tempting to draw Ice Cream Floats early and win quickly but your chances of hitting another location card are high. Try and draw it later.
*Be sure to count the cards. If you know how many blues remain in the deck you can adjust your strategy to take advantage of shortcuts.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jedit posted:

Not quite. Arkham Horror provides several means to manipulate the rolls; Blessings make rolling successes more likely, equipment increases the number of dice you get to roll (and in some cases makes successes count double), and Clues can be spent to re-roll dice. All these things can be obtained by spending limited resources, although they can often be acquired for free via skill checks. AH is also a cooperative game, so you will have several characters who can be allocated to perform the different tasks and the requirements for those tasks are as a rule known ahead of time. This gives the players agency in being able to pick the best character for any given job. If that character is occupied elsewhere or too far away you have to choose between waiting and wasting time or attempting the task with a character less likely to succeed. This adds a level of tactics to the game.

Compare this to Talisman. Every player has to face the same tasks, and as the game is competitive you have to do it for yourself. All checks are roll a die, add stat and get a total, which some characters cannot achieve naturally. You can manipulate your stats to some small degree, but only at certain locations. Whether or not you get to those locations is the result of a die roll, and in most cases a second roll is required to improve the required stat. Both these rolls are entirely random and except in very rare cases have no modifiers. As a result, success or failure in Talisman is entirely at the whim of the dice.

You are not giving Talisman a fair shake. It has just as much dice mitigation as Arkham Horror.
*In Talisman many classes are spell casters and get a free spell such as Teleport/Hex/Steal A Item/heal/etc. You decide when to play this spell and who/what to target.
*Several classes and a few items let players re-draw their adventure cards. A push your luck mini-game.
*Everyone has a number of Fate points that can be used for re-rolls which are hard to replenish. Using them to gain power or saving them for the run to the Crown of Command is a resource management puzzle.
*With expansion there are different areas like the Timescape/City/Dungeon/etc where you can travel to get more specialized encounters. Not everyone faces the same challenges.
*Getting a Poltergeist or a Blizzard forces you to move one space at a time. This allows you to go where you want, even if slowly.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Poison Mushroom posted:

I hope think the point Rutibex is trying to make here is that you can have luck management and dice mitigation and still have a horribly random, unfun game.

Talisman unfun? No I don't think so! Nothing quite captures the nail biting edge of your seat dice rolling of Talisman. I would never besmirch the good name of Talisman. Just look at this custom set I made, pulling content from every beautiful edition of Talisman as well as dozens of great homebrew internet expansions. Over 1,000 adventure cards split into 5 decks (outer, inner, timescape, dungeon, city), 250 spells, and 80 classes. I initially mixed in Pathfinder Adventure cards but have since made the set 100% Talisman.

I wasn't going to sit by and have it's good name sullied, Talisman has just as much strategic depth as Arkham Horror :colbert:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

It it really that light on mechanics? There's so much...stuff in there, I thought it had the same "gather resources, expend them to modify dice rolls" feel that Eldritch does.

Elder Sign is "Cthulhu Yahtzee" in the same way that King of New York is "Monster Yahtzee". It's got more to it than basic Yahtzee; it is pretty mush exactly what you think it it: lots of character powers and items/spells/etc that let you modify the die rolls.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ravendas posted:

It's yahtzee with icons, where you choose which sets to go for before you roll instead of after.

I'd say its more of a Sharp Shooters rip off than Yahtzee:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1459/sharp-shooters

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Durendal posted:

Who cares? It still has zombies in it. I can add dice rolling as well. Roll 3d6 and compare each dice to the jump table. Those are the only jumps you are allowed.

Then you add stuff fast horrors/zombies who can jump an extra space or arch demons and tanks who can jump on top of opposing pieces, but only if the size chart says they can.

I'm afraid you've been beaten that game was invented about 1,000 years ago:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaturaji

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Elyv posted:

So I played Forbidden Desert for the first time with my roommate and her boyfriend, and we came out very disappointed. For a bit of background, none of us have played any co-op board games other than a couple games of thread favorite punching bag Betrayal at House on the Hill, but it still felt way too easy. Game 1, we played on Novice and crushed it, so we turned up to Legendary...which we proceeded to crush. Game 3, we did some custom things(started the storm at level 4, had the board wrap around only for storms so that the wind cards would always give maximum amount of sand), and it was still fairly easy.

Is the game actually supposed to be that easy, or did we miss some rules? I kind of hope it's the latter, because we enjoyed the concept but didn't really feel like fiddling more dials right now.

Edit: Actually I think I figured out what we did wrong, nvm.

If you crushed Forbidden Desert on Legendary on your second game then you are ether Rainman or you played it wrong.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I am kinda addicted to civilization building board games now. I've been playing them non-stop in the past few weeks/months: Through the Ages, Patchistory, Clash of Cultures and Sid Meier's Civilization being the most recent. Anything else I'm missing that I'll probably like if I enjoy all of the above-mentioned games?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/177/advanced-civilization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gimnbo posted:

I always tell people Terra Mystica is like Eclipse without combat because I have no better reference point.

I've had good results telling people "Its like settlers of Catan but better, and we don't roll dice for resources". The board full of terrain hexes and the pieces straight out of Catan reenforces this illusion long enough to capture their interest.