Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

In misogyny news, Elizabeth Hargrave (rightly) called out the cover art for Tiny Epic Dungeons, the Kickstarter comments have devolved into an incel hellhole.
BGG link here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2612018/can-we-talk-about-women-box-cover
While I love the new BGG moderation, I'm still bummed by the volume of posts that have to be removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Bottom Liner posted:

Lmao at the avengers pic she included in her post. Would unironically buy that comic.

Brother do I have a blog for you:

https://thehawkeyeinitiative.tumblr.com/

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

SettingSun posted:

Holy poo poo lmao. We can't answer your questions because we're giving you too good a deal and don't feel like scamming you (we could though, since you let those FLGS do it to you).

Awaken Realms huff their own farts SOOOOO HARD

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Mayveena posted:

Earth Reborn is incredibly fiddly and rules heavy which is probably why you haven't played it in years :)

I kind of feel like that for all of Boelinger's games. He pushes the complexity just a couple steps too much for whatever he's making.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I would expect anything FFG did be permanently dead unless it moves to another studio. Asmodee seems to have gutted everything of value from them.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

PlaneGuy posted:

I wonder who did they lose to? The rest of the company? The author? Who said "NO, ALL WHITES"? I wanna know so I can glare at them.

They meant they "lost" sight of making diversity a priority.

It's very possible it just slipped through the cracks. That doesn't mean it's okay, but people who are busy and juggling multiple priorities can let their unconscious biases create blind spots.

From a "default Caucasian" worldview there's nothing wrong with that art - you see it and say "looks good" and move on. This discussion made me realize when I think of "cavemen", I picture them as all white.

Brains are weird and often lovely.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 13, 2021

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Gaebril posted:

KS
overproduced miniatures
$200 shipped for 24 characters.

Those are all red flags, and you've never played it. Their back catalog all seems like fine but unremarkable games with lots of expansions and plastic.

Just on all that I think you'd be better off passing. As an alternative Aristeia! seems very similar but available in lots of smaller chunks (and at retail no less).

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

CaptainApathyUK posted:

There were a couple of cycles where everything was in turmoil and it felt like the wheels were coming off a bit.

Any game that is on a forced repeat release schedule is going to invariably become a trainwreck, there's just no way to pump out that much additive content without making a game-breaking mistake or twelve.
Not being a modern Netrunner player though, did it even need a lot of content? I'm sure some cards were straight up better, but I recall that most of the gameplay was tactical decisions on boardstate, with deckbuilding a distant second.

PJOmega posted:

WotC hasn't done anything with Netrunner since the license debacle, but seeing as how WotC has announced plans for a Warhammer 40k set for Magic the Gathering...

I suspect the Asmodee buyout prompted FFG to drop the licenses being as they were from competitor companies. Netrunner was probably on the sales decline anyway.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 6, 2021

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Atillo posted:

Has anyone here heard anything about the "The Witcher: Old World" kickstarter. I'm wary of licenced game with minis front and centre but my wife would love the theme so we'd probably get a lot of play if the game is even half decent.

Kickstarter Anonymous Mantra:

- If it's full of miniatures the rules were not the focus of the devs
- If it's a licensed property it's likely to suck
- If it's any good it will be released to retail or re-kickstarted later

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 28, 2021

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Admiralty Flag posted:

Opinions on good 2P legacy non-Pandemic games? Thinking about looking into something new to start with the wife

Reiner Kniza's "My City" is supposed to be a nifty little legacy game but it's very light and calling it "legacy" might be giving it a bit too much credit (it's mostly slight rule mods after each game).

Otherwise it depends on your tolerance levels for "meh" games. Most of the non-Pandemic legacy stuff has been lackluster.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

SettingSun posted:

Trzewiczek's games are so bad

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Bottom Liner posted:

He also said this on BGG defending a white guy criticizing Kendrick Lamar for using the N word

So gently caress him and his lovely game

Link that poo poo so I can pixel warrior plz

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Infinitum posted:

Crossposting from the KS thread

Arydia is live. Same developer as Xia Legends of a Drift System, Cody Miller

This is a big BIG box with a big rear end price tag..
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/faroffgames/arydia-the-paths-we-dare-tread

$258 AUD for the all in pledge
:captainpop:

Looks like a looooot of game in this though.
50+ pre-painted miniatures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNB1tw94DLk

Wasn't the prevalent opinion that Xia was a hot mess?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

nonathlon posted:

I liked Xia. Thought it was a great game ... of a particular type. Like a huge messy chaotic, crazy stuff happens type game, which comes with the usual variable results, long play time, frequent unfairness. Some of the complaints people level against (the trading rules) got tweaked in the expansion.

Having said that, it's a game I got the time and patience for about once a year.

That makes it sound like an experience generator more than a game, IMO. Which is all fine but I think most of the people in this thread prefer games with more impactful choices.
Which is all to say that I'd expect the next game by the Xia designer to follow the same path.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Fate Accomplice posted:

List created, size 1:

List ratified:

I suggested additional people for the list. It's fine if we want to avoid talking about Eklund here because he expresses his abhorrent ideas in his designs while my suggestions have the grace to only think/believe/act them out, but let's not pretend we're doing something else.

not a single person here has defended Eklund or his ideas, but it's reasonable to discuss those games here while noting how garbage he is.

Is this some sort of performance art?
You posted quotes where people said “let’s just move on and not discuss his games any further.” Nobody said anything about some permanent blacklist.
YOU were the one who created an explicit blacklist that nobody asked for. And then you started arguing about it.

Also you’re arguing dangerously close to a “thought police!!!” CHUD talking point.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 5, 2021

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

StarkRavingMad posted:

I'm not sure I understand the difference between "don't talk about him again" and "hey can you move on from talking about his games" (when people were just talking about game mechanics and not getting into any prickly debate that would sidetrack the thread), which is why I asked for clarification earlier. Like, if the thread's consensus is that there is a threadban on Eklund's games, or any other developer for that matter, that's fine. But it strikes me as weird, and a little disingenuous, to try and say in the same breath "no one is saying that you that you can't talk about this person's games, we're just saying move on from talking about his games" when there wasn't a heated debate going on that would merit it unless his games are a forbidden topic. If there's a rule here, let's be upfront about it.

People can, of course, feel free to point out if a developer is a piece of garbage.

For gently caress’s sake there is no threadban, there is no probation threat for mentioning him, it was one person asking if we could maybe not dwell on a giant racist POS.

If you have this much trouble parsing a conversation, maybe it’s best you don’t participate.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Infinitum posted:

So anyway.

Can anyone recommend anything similar to:
- Fury of Dracula
- Whitehall Mystery/Letters from Whitechapel
- Scotland Yard
- Last Friday

I'm pottering around in the background with a couple of board game ideas I'd like to prototype, and I'd like to see some more examples of 'hidden movement' on a map games.
Also if there is any particular hidden movement mechanics you like seeing let me know.

Nuns on the Run

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Infinitum posted:

He's actually cutting ties with a ton of different companies.

He terminated contracts with Grail Games, Matagot and Kolossal Games
https://www.dicebreaker.com/categories/board-game/news/knizia-games-terminates-releases

Feeling this is less a publisher doing the wrong thing, and more a Knizia being weird thing?

------------------------------

I would guess these companies are used to played fast and loose with designers but somebody like Kenzia doesn’t have to put up with their poo poo.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Infinitum posted:

Speaking of KS - If you missed out on Dead Reckoning they'll be running it again next year due to the popularity. I backed for everything except the Saga 2 pack, so might pick it up depending on how much play it gets.

I have not seen previews or reviews of this, but the KS looks like they were pitching ideas for a game and just said "yes" to every one of them.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Bottom Liner posted:

What? It’s a commercially released game that is already purchasable. Rules aren’t even copyrightable. These companies all put these on BGG and their site, including FFG.

Rules aren’t but a specifically produced version of them can be.

You’re right in that most companies make their rules freely available now.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

El Fideo posted:

Have we found out yet what will be the stretch goals for the asmodee sale?

Layoffs

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

El Fideo posted:

Is Dice Throne the one where it's just Sagrada but you're making a character sheet and then nothing happens?

As already mentioned it’s Roll Player and YES! I read all the hype and when I played it I was confused as to what the fuss was about.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

dwarf74 posted:

No. It's asymmetric Battle Yahtzee, with rpg-style elements and cards to influence gameplay and dice. And with stunningly good production values.

I have no real chance of playing Dice Throne regularly but I still want both of the battle chests.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

gutterdaughter posted:

Meltwater: A Game of Tactical Starvation is now officially out of print with Hollandspiele, and awaiting a future new edition from an as yet undisclosed publisher. I'm not allowed to talk hard numbers, but we passed over a thousand total units across the game's lifetime.

The game probably would have gone nowhere without y'all's support. Thanks, boardgoons.

You got a pretty glowing review from SWAG podcast too, I have to think that drove a few purchases.

1000 units of a game from a smaller publisher is really good isn't it? Especially when you're 2p only and have a super-depressing theme on top of it.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Regardless, it's a scam. There is literally no world where they're going to successfully transition to a blockchain-based platform. The only question is who's doing the scamming.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

The Eyes Have It posted:

What exactly does rolling blockchain tech into their platform mean?

They make a press release about it, and then two years later they scuttle the project because it doesn't work.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Glad you're enjoying it, but fun != good.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

You don’t need to be dubious, you’re completely right. Nobody who wasn’t already some sort of gamer was buying into KDM as an entry point.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Jewmanji posted:

Would someone indulge me and explain what BGG Kickstarter is actually attempting to accomplish by getting into blockchain? I understand in a vague sense that the whole thing is a giant fraud, but I don't understand what's in it for them (or other companies, for that matter). Like, even their stated benefit seems comically vague and undefined?

Who knows. The most likely scenarios are that somebody very high up in KS leadership is a Crypto moron, OR somebody high up in KS leadership is dumb enough to let a "crypto consultant" rip them off. And yes, EVERY company that tries to explain how the blockchain will benefit them talk about it in comically vague and undefinded terms, because there is no benefit.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Can we as a thread quit trying to parse out which of Eklunds horrible views is *kinda, sorta* valid? Please?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

CitizenKeen posted:

What is the highest rated Kickstarter-exclusive board game on BGG?

Not sure how you would even determine that. There's not that many KS games that ended up truly KS exclusive.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

KDM bad
Phil Eklund bad
Vlaada Chvatil good (Jedit shut your loving mouth I swear to god)

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Zman sold to Asmodee and the previous owner went to Wizkids and said “here’s how you do things that don’t suck”.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Sub-$100 is going to cut out a genre of games like Gloomhaven and Too Many Bones.

There’s no reason to push $100 games in a guide meant for people new to the hobby.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

My only recommendation for new thread is 100 point font message saying “Don’t back Kickstarter Games”

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Leperflesh posted:

I suggest that more expensive games can be listed, provided they're mentioned as being more expensive, and listed alongside games in the same categories that are less expensive?

Many "new boardgamers" are on a budget or aren't sure if their interest will last: but some are not. Perhaps instead of a hard price limit, the thread could make choices based partially on value for money... if that's possible to reach a consensus on.

I don't see the point, there aren't that many $100+ games that are unique enough to justify the outlay for somebody who's new. Although I guess it doesn't matter since the OP never gets read.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

PRADA SLUT posted:

So then the point of the OP isn’t “recommendations for new players”, it’s “anything so long as it’s under $100”

Is your whole gimmick just being a contrarian shitbird?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I’m just asking who the OP recommendations are for. New players getting their first modern game? People who have a collection and are looking for a new game they might have missed? Both? Something else?

Fair enough, but your previous comment seemed needlessly pedantic. I just don't see the OP getting a ton of use except for the newest of players who don't want to ask directly in the thread. Otherwise they're probably just going to jump into the conversation.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Mayveena posted:

I don't think we need to tell people what to do about Kickstarter. I think we need to warn people of the issues with Kickstarter, but if they want to spend their money on Kickstarters that's on them.

How is that different than telling somebody Talisman is a bad game? Don’t buy kickstarter gsmes is a really good blanket rule and it somebody wants to know why it can be explained in more detail, just like any other recommendation we put in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

You know what gently caress it, just make the OP a direct link to whatever the newest CMON Zombicide KS is.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 25, 2021