Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm currently playing a 7-player game of Love Letter using two decks shuffled together :v: It works pretty well actually!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Some Numbers posted:

That sounds like a really really watered down version of Battlestar Galactica.

It does, but as someone who likes BSG I'd say that's not necessarily a bad thing.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Managed 23 points in Hanabi yesterday, with two other experience players and a newbie. Communication was fairly strictly limited, and despite one or two small slipups we did very well. At one point another player had four 1s in his hand, with every 1 already on the table, so that gained us a bunch of hints we could use. The only reason we didn't manage the full 25 was because one player was holding both yellow 4s, as well as the yellow 5 and the white 5, and we ran out of turns (some of those cards were near the bottom of the draw pile, too).

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Twilight Struggle's new collector's edition box is looking great.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Came across this at an Amsterdam train station:

The game is Lifestyle, which I've never heard of, but apparently someone didn't like it :v:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jedit posted:

Want to meet up at some point? If you're by yourself you can probably tag along with our group, which is a lot more fun than going solo, or if you're in company we can maybe get both groups into someone's hotel bar and play the Vital Lacerda Drinking Game.

I'm going to Spiel as well, on Friday. Not sure if I'll add a second day to that, or whether anyone is going to join me yet, but I'm up for meeting.

By the way, if you still have any of those Polish Discworld books left that you posted about in the Book Barn thread, I know someone who'd like to have them.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Spiel update: I have significantly less money.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Flick 'Em Up is pretty drat fun. It reminds me of Worms, actually. We were all similarly skilled at flicking, too, so it was pretty competitive. Good team game. :clint:

I played a larger demo version at a recent games fair, was a lot of fun. Moving your men and shooting is a lot more difficult that it seems, although tactical use of a cactus helps immensely when you figure out that you only need one of your dudes' arms sticking out a bit in order to successfully being able to shoot at enemies.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Rad Valtar posted:

So I'm struggling with choosing Caverna vs Agricola. I've heard that Caverna is more forgiving but Agricola has a more varied set up. Also Agricola is $20 cheaper.

I'd say Agricola is a bit more accessible because there is a bit less to do each turn. From what I remember from the only time I played Caverna, it gave me too many options whereas with Agricola you can sort of hold on to a general "try to get at least a few of most things".

Just played it Friday night coincidentally, we somehow ended up with scores being 39/39/28/28 :v:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I have that same game in a drawer at my parents' somewhere, it's a staple of old boardgame collections. It's also literally "roll a die, move one of your guys" and not really anything else.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

lordsummerisle posted:

I have both, and will say Isle of Skye hands down. Both are great, but Skye delivers a better version of the same style, in shorter time, with easier to explain rules. It loses none of the meatiness, despite being simpler to teach. It is also much nicer to look at, which is too bad considering Ludwig's theme.

I also have both and will say Castles of Mad King Ludwig. It's a game I rarely don't want to play, and despite the slightly more complex rules, I think the theme and artwork are better and you have more freedom in trying to establish combo's. I also feel that Castles has more player interaction.

Both are good games though, you can't really go wrong buying either of them.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I like the game well enough as a light-to-medium worker placement-ish game with what is basically a bunch of CYOA exploration options tacked on. It's a hit with my girlfriend and her family to the point that they bought a copy themselves.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I just stumbled on a Let's Play thread where video game design legend Brian Reynolds* plays the digital version of the game against expert players ("people better than me") and records them, adds comments and puts them on Youtube. Good stuff.

*Civilization II and Alpha Centauri

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Task-Kalar - Etherweave versus Everfrost

My girlfriend tends to win this game more often than not. This new deck is slowing her down a bit while we develop a feel for how it's supposed to work, allowing me to grab the middle, score some objectives, summon the Bone Catapult legendary creature and generally ruin her day. She managed to grab a 2-point objective for occupying green tiles, and has now summoned a legendary being herself. I can potentially destroy it. We had to pause but will finish tonight! First Etherweave impression: ++ would get sucked into a time vortex again

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CommonShore posted:

This seems like an opportunity for a good team to do some good design, because some aspects of BSG are Ameritrashy and awkward as gently caress.

Honestly some kind of 2.0 edition scrapping everything that didn't work (new caprica, the Demetrius, etc) and integrating everything that did (new treachery deck, No Sympathizer variant) wouldalready go a long way.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Huxley posted:

MOST importantly, NEVER buy a piece on the first 4–5 turns that doesn't produce income.

Yeah listen to this. Any buttons on the tiles you buy early will be income on each of the income tiles, of which there are many left in the rest of the game.

Time is also important in that paying for a tile that cost you a lot of time means that your opponent will get several turns in a row - you don't generally want to let that happen.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tsietisin posted:

Gaming cafe I go to has put a challenge on their website. What games do these tokens come from.

Any ideas

Bottom right reads "Aegon Targaryen" so I'm guessing it's that GoT boardgame.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

rchandra posted:

I enjoyed Hardback a lot more even though it's a market-row. The card abilities/synergies are more interesting, and getting to use cards facedown as pointless blanks reduces frustration/AP. The Ink mechanic lets you push your luck/skill some, or just build a reliable engine to spell "disembarkment" every turn. It also comes with a bunch of mini-expansions - the Adverts are a minor addition that we use every time, just to make sure money remains useful.

Agreed, I've only played Hardback twice but it seems like a straight improvement over Paperback.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Bottom Liner posted:

FCM might be the king of content per volume though.

I'm despairing at the thought of not possibly being able to fit the expansion into the main box.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Fellis posted:

The cylon fleet board is bad because it’s too powerful and easy for cylons to blow up galactica/civs. Ionian nebula is dumb, which is unfortunate because the ally cards were cool

E: daybreak is pretty good from what i’ve heard, I haven’t played it much myself. But it’s extremely hard to get

It'd be great if they made a second edition of sorts that included all expansions, just leaving out some of the more hated bits like crossroads and the missions from Daybreak, and stuff that got superseded like the Treachery cards from Pegasus (superseded by better ones in Daybreak).

Haven't played BSG in ages, my local meetup group played it recently so hopefully soon.

That said, at the UK games Expo they were selling a new Battlestar-themed game that was about ship combat, similar to Star Wars Armada. Not my thing but I hadn't heard of it and the miniature Vipers looked good.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

thespaceinvader posted:

Also it may be worth checking out the PLS2 thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838376&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 all spoilers are well marked.

I'm also about to start on Pandemic Legacy S2 with my wife, after picking it up at the UK games expo for a nice round £50. Prices varied quite a lot from seller to seller with some charging up to £70.

Anyway thanks for the link! Quite excited about S2.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

rchandra posted:

Multiplayer games best at 2p:

Power Grid (really)

Is this with normal rules or using the robots expansion? I want to give this a try after really always playing with 3-5 players.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

rchandra posted:

(Power Grid 2p)

For 2-player games, I don't like the robots. They don't change the fundamental predictability of the 2p game (not a complaint, but most people who don't like 2p find it too predictable so robots won't help), they just make it take a little longer to plan. They can be fun in specifically 3p for variety.

I am recommending the original rules, not the Trust rules added in Deluxe (and put into the Recharged edition). 3 regions, 4 plants each, 8 plants removed, 10 cities to Step 2, all 21 cities to end.

Thanks for this, will give it a go sometime. Got the original game and all expansion boards. There is a new one being released for Spiel as well, Middle east and South Africa.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

silvergoose posted:

So I still quite like the game, but Castles of Mad King Ludwig has some serious turn order problems.

Specifically, in a 3p game, if one player is significantly weaker than the other two, the person sitting right after the weakest is likely to win: leaving important goal buildings cheap, leaving only one decent building at a good price, etc.

Legit thinking if we play again, having me and my wife bid points for seating order or something.

I've only noticed this if one player is significantly less experienced at the game - they tend to leave good rooms for cheap which indeed benefits the next player more. But I don't feel this is a flaw in the game as any game with a large skill difference in the players will struggle not to benefit a specific other player through their actions.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Aramoro posted:

Also, and this might be a specific problem, I found Decrypto a lot easier with a mixed group of people with English as a second language and all different first languages.

Yeah this is another scenario where Codenames does not work well at all.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mayveena posted:

Also Food Chain Magnate with the Ketchup expansion is in stock at Cardhaus. I paid 75 Euros so this seems pretty expensive. On the other hand at least Cardhaus has it, I'm still waiting for my copy sadly.

I'm greatly enjoying the FCM expansion, even while only playing 2 player. So far we've only used the new milestones, coffee and kimchi though.

Begun, the pizza wars have:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Llyranor posted:

I think this is where I'm at. Aside from expansions/sequels to games I already own and love, there's only a handful of new games I'm interested in. I'm mostly content with my library. I have about 40 games (and lots of expansions).

Same. And now my wife has become interested in Power Grid, so I have that to play with her including all the expansion boards :getin:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Roluth posted:

I don't think a single box could ever hold all of Dominion

I did once meet someone who stored all of Dominion (or at least a *lot* of it) in one of those toolboxes that fold open to reveal more space. It was heavy as gently caress

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I got to play Cartographers at the most recent local board game meetup (we'll probably stop going for a while). Excellent little game - you get to draw areas on your own little graph papery-y pad (your map) based on a common deck of cards. One card is drawn each turn and all players have to put a tetris-like shape on their map. Sometimes you can choose from one of two shapes, and sometime you choose what type of area this is (water, forest, village etc. as well as monsters). There are four common scoring cards (drawn from a larger deck at the start) of which two are scored each phase (similar to Isle of Skye).

I've ordered a copy myself now, it's a really fun little game. It gets better when you bring along a set of coloured pens so you can make your map look pretty :)

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Now that we're talking Dominion, I have a question. The game setup is such that you limit the number of Victory cards available depending on how many players you have (2 players, 8 of each Victory card type, 3 players, 10, 4 players, 12). A big part of the game is ending it when you are ahead, and the game ends when all Provinces are gone, or any 3 piles.

I've primarily played with just my wife and its extremely rare for three piles to run out - almost every game ends when all Provinces are gone instead. Is it more common for three piles to empty when playing with 3 or 4 players? And what stands out to me is that while Victory cards are limited to 8 (with 2 players), you still use exactly all 10 Action cards per pile no matter the player count. Is there a reason why is this not variable in the same way that Victory cards are?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Cartographers - there is a good printer-friendly version of the sheet available on BGG.

Carcassonne - I'm regularly playing this with a lot of the expansions. We do skip some elements as not everything works well with two players. Some favourite (mini)expansions/elements, apart from the main ones like Traders & Builders and Inns & Cathedrals:

- Gold mines (10 tiles that, when drawn, require the player to place a gold piece on that tile, and one adjacent tile. When completing a feature on those tiles you get the gold pieces. The more you have, the more each piece is worth at final scoring)
- Vineyards (any monastery scores +3 points for each adjacent vineyard)
- Hills (slide a tile under the hill tile without looking at it (meaning you can never be 100% sure that a given tile will still be drawn - it could be under a hill. Also meeples placed on a feature on a hill break ties for ownership)
- River
- Circus (when a circus tile is drawn, put a points token on it facedown (1-7pts). Gain these points for each meeple adjacent to the current circus tile when the next circus tile is drawn)
- Bridges (each player gets three - allows a road to cross over another tile as long as the edges are grass. This allows a bit more flexibility for roads and has an interesting impact on meadows/farmers)
- Barns (each player gets one - can be placed only on an intersection of four grass corners. Removes farmers (they score points) and is worth 4pts per completed city at end scoring)

e: Bazaars are quite fun as well. After placing one, draw tiles equal to nr of players. Players then bid for the tiles using points (though we just give the next player first pick as an alternative).

SixFigureSandwich fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jul 2, 2020

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Straight White Shark posted:

it's like when a parent gives their kid to the count of 10 to do something and after nine they start going "nine and a haaaaaaalf... I'm warning you! NINE AND THREE QUARTERS!"

That is basically where we are at regarding doing anything about climate change though.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

virinvictus posted:

Hey all,

Just getting into board games. Me and my partner live in Arctic Canada (Nunavik region of Quebec) and so we’ve begun playing board games to pass the time due to a 100GB bandwidth cap. Thankfully, I found a board game place that delivers to the North for free after $150. We really like Pandemic and Catan, so I’ve purchased:

- Pandemic Legacy Season 0
- Pandemic Legacy Season 2
- Pandemic: On The Brink expansion
- Gloomhaven

Don’t know if these will jive well for us, but are there any suggestions for some fun two to three player games (only know one person on this reserve who also plays and occasionally joins our pandemic sessions)?

We work full days and generally only have an hour or two for gaming time before bed. Partner is not really into science fiction, more fantastical less space.

If that changes any recommendations.

I had a hard time thinking of games that work well with 2 players but also with 3 players. Maybe give Istanbul a try - that plays in under an hour. For just 2 players I think my favourite is 7 Wonders Duel.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kazzah posted:

The Baron is my favourite card in anything, ever.

This post and the Dune Imperium one below made me realize I would absolutely buy Dune Love Letter.

The goal would be less 'win the affection of the Princess' and more 'defeat the Emperor of the galaxy so he'll let you marry his daughter to lend legitimacy to your reign as you unleash galactic Jihad that kills billions', but still

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Radioactive Toy posted:

Looks like there's a new edition of Galaxy Trucker coming.

I wonder how much it will be streamlined since the very first line in the description is "In the fast and goofy family game Galaxy Trucker..."

More details up on the CGE website.

Sounds great but I really don't feel like replacing three boxes of Galaxy Trucker with a new edition. I'm hoping that the streamlined new rules can be used with the existing game as well.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Spikes32 posted:

The reason I thought mystery is because being able to reveal an adjacent wild that was a 4/5 star next to a double adjacent romance card seemed very good.

Horror gets you remover which makes drawing extra cards much less risky and thus gets you the 'longest word' bonuses. I choose based on what is initially available in the market but if forced to choose would probably go for horror because of this and whatever the yellow deck is called because of the sheer amounts of points you get from it.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Podima posted:

Exodus is the garbage expansion, yeah. Pegasus added the second ship and Treachery(!), even ignoring New Caprica (which you should do). Daybreak has the Search for Home stuff which you can and should completely disregard, but Cylon Leaders and the Mutineer are objectively great changes.

Yeah, Pegasus and Daybreak both had some really good stuff - the new Treachery deck in Daybreak is great as well. I don't recall any good bits in Exodus but I imagine it still had new crises etc. and some new cards. That Cthulhu remake on a cruise ship looks interesting but I would much prefer a proper BSG rerelease with all the good bits from the expansions added in.

I haven't played BSG in ages - I might need to check if somebody in the local boardgaming group owns the game and would like to host, when it's safe to do so.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Having played Scythe maybe 3-4 times, I can tell there's balance issues but are there any ways to mitigate this? As each faction starts with a certain amount of cards and money, it seems tweaking that would help somewhat.

Also, how are the expansion factions? More balanced or more broken?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RabidWeasel posted:

Maybe my friends lack the brain wrinkles to be pro board gamers but we enjoy Castles of Burgundy

Same, what problems do people have with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

silvergoose posted:

Oh my wife and I call it "The Burgers of Burgers", no question.

When my wife says she wants to play Castles I always need to doublecheck whether she means Burgundy of Mad King Ludwig.

e: another point in favour of Castles of Burgundy is that the game is entirely text-free and came with manuals in three languages so you can basically buy it wherever.