Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Mahoning posted:

Well I would assume that studios sign contracts with theaters, yes. And Sony telling the theaters that they could choose to not show the movie if they wanted would seem to back that up.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to tell said theater chains to take a hike. If you live in a bigger city, there's probably an independent theater or smaller chain around that didn't cave in.

For reference, those chains are AMC, Regal, Cinemark, Cineplex, Carmike, and Bow Tie.

Thankfully there are a few theaters around here with not only better seating but delicious beer and cocktails, so no kids either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

al-azad posted:

I can only imagine the distribution costs wouldn't be worth releasing to so few theaters. Those 6 chains represent something like 1400+ theaters with something like 20,000 screens which is about half of what a big budget blockbuster like Avatar or Avengers would have premiered on and this is a comedy film. I don't know how films are insured but pulling it and trying to get something back is probably Sony's best move.

I'm not saying that Sony should release it to smaller theaters only - though I think that would send a strong message, especially since interest in the movie is obviously high right now, and those theaters would make $$$ and maybe get repeat business. It may be enough to get the chains to cave, especially if nothing actually happens.

I suspect the threats are hollow, the last time a nation actually did a terrorist attack on the US, we used it as a casus belli to invade, and it would also be considered an attack on NATO. At some point China would almost certainly say "gently caress you, you are no longer worth the trouble" since there's no money to be made taking their side.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They want to hit Japan.

South Korea as well, though I'm sure they'd love to be able to reach the west coast of the US.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Some credit card companies let you create a "one time use" credit card number. Perfect for something like this, if someone did hack Sony again it's not like they could do anything with it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

These two always need someone funnier and someone who isn't as funny . Otherwise it doesn't work the same.

I thought Rogan seemed to be more of the straight man in the movie.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Wait, who's supposed to be which Kim there? Il is the short one who was in charge and died recently, being replaced by the fatty Un that we saw in the film. Neither of them have a reputation of being obsessed with American media.

Nam is the one who got caught trying to sneak into Disneyland and is now chilling in Macau.

Read the message posted just before yours.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Inspector Hound posted:

I liked it. The actual interview should have been more serious or at least had more effort put into it, but I only think that because this movie is famous for the reason that it is. Spoiler-esque question: the foreign (cyrillic?) writing on the tank during the chase at the end looked out of place, because it was in impact font and had a period at the end. What does it say?

"Sink or Swim" per online translator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

computer parts posted:

Also the two minutes they spent in China is fairly accurate from what I know. "No thanks, I'll just absorb the second hand smoke".

Except for the two seconds they spent at the Richmond Night Market. Though I've eaten at the mango dessert stand that Rogen is standing in front of for a few seconds, that mango tapioca icy is good poo poo.

• Locked thread