Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Do Amazon special offers gently caress up lock screen notifications? Stuff like showing your text messages, etc. Thinking of getting the G5 plus and special offers but I don't want notifications to be screwed up. Is there a picture of exactly what a special offer lockscreen looks like?

edit: Here's what someone in another forum said "I have a Moto g4. ads are not a big deal. If you have a notification, the ad is the size of a front screen notification. if you do not have a notification, it is a full screen ad like a wallpaper. once the screen is unlocked it goes away" That's not too bad! Since it has a fingerprint reader it's not like you're going to see the lockscreen for long anyways if you use fingerprint to login. I have a feeling Amazon is underestimating how beneficial special offers will be for them on this device.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Jigoku posted:

But what about Moto Display?

As somebody with a Moto Z Play, the 625 is an extremely serviceable processor for something mid-tier. Going to be a strong recommendation.

Meh, I've had a Moto G 3rd gen and a Moto X Pure now and have never used any of the built in Moto stuff except the messaging and gallery apps. Anything beyond stock Android is silly phone fuckery IMHO.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Wrist Watch posted:

What's the point of buying a MXP and turning off active display and stuff like custom phrases to activate google now? :psyduck: What's even the point of getting it over the 5X at that point?

It was $220 on sale (64gb model even), takes microSD cards, works on all carriers and is a great stock Android phone?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Sorry I just don't need all the bells and whistles on a phone. Running more launchers, displays, etc. is just unnecessary bloat and more crap to keep updated, deal with, etc. I use my phone to make calls, send texts, and use a few key apps like Signal or listen to podcasts. Everything else is unnecessary for me. Not a fan of ambient displays or intrusive notifications either. My old Moto G had a bright white notification LED and I hated it. It would light up your room at night just to let you know you had an email or some other nonsense. I need less distractions and notifications in my life, not more.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

redreader posted:

After months of making GBS threads up this thread with 'which phone should I get for both of us', my wife and I both got the g5 plus 4/64 edition with lockscreen for 240 each.

I figure, since the alternative was the 128gb pixel XL that we were looking at: if we buy a new similar-tier phone every single year for three years rather than keeping the pixel for 3 years (which is how long we'd have held on to it if we'd bought it, in order to get our money's worth) we'd MORE than break even (240 x 3 = 720, vs pixel for 869). Also, if we want to buy a new phone that's pixel tier in 1 or 2 or whatever years, we'll have got our money's worth from this phone after 1 year anyway.

I'll post thoughts on the g5+ as soon as I get it, hopefully on friday which is what Amazon promised.

That's how I've been doing it and haven't had any regrets. Just get the best value Moto or other stock Android phone for ~$250 every year. Spending $600+ on a phone is insane IMHO. As nice as the Pixel is come this time next year there's going to be better. Just look at how fast stuff like the 6p and 5x disappeared.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Ugh, "instead of clicking on physical buttons to raise or lower volume, you simply slide your finger along the phone’s edge". Had that crap on a T-Mobile Dash many, many years ago and it's awful. When you pull your phone out of your pocket you'll trigger it all the time and just generally have no idea what volume level your phone is set to. It's really amazing how manufacturers have to just keep loving with basic things like buttons. I'm still mad most phones got rid of a slide switch to silence everything. And don't get me started on headphone jacks. :(

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
There was an extensive investigation into the battery issue and wasn't it found that Samsung just didn't design enough clearance to allow the battery to expand as it charged? Literally trying to shave a few millimeters in thickness from the phone caused all of their troubles. As the battery expanded a bit it compressed the lithium cells until they would internally short out and catch fire, explode, etc. There's no way to fix it short of putting in a smaller battery or enlarging the case. No chips or circuitry were to blame.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

deong posted:

I just want this to get exposure, and you nerds will care. I've got no realation to it other than anger about the fcc ruling change.
https://www.gofundme.com/searchinternethistory

There is no evidence that this is legitimate at all. It's not like there's a public exchange of browser history that will suddenly be available for anyone to buy from. The data is going to be sold to marketing firms, etc. and they're going to tell this dude from Chattanooga to get lost. I have to give him credit for having a good idea to skim some money off current events though.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
This is literally his current 'plan':

quote:

I know a lot of people have questions about how the money will be used. Others mention I am trying to scam you. I am not. Let me show you. I have had several people message me, ready to help. Thousands of people have donated to our cause. People are tired being taken advantage of and sold out by the people they elected to represent them.

I don't have all the answers to a lot of questions right now. But I'm working with people who are assisting me in developing a fully fledged plan. I do hope that if you are skeptical, you'll stay with me and watch.

We will do something. Someone has to start somewhere. That's what I am doing. I am starting. Gathering you all together to stand up for our rights. Whether you support by spreading the word, donations, or volunteering, we WILL make a difference.

If you're ready to give that guy money, I fear for the life decisions you make.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Toebone posted:

So if I'm looking to spend some money but not a whole lot of money looks like the 64 gig G5 is the best choice right now?

I'd wait like 1 day for the first people to get it and post any impressions. Mine is supposed to be here tomorrow. Barring any major issues it seems like a solid budget choice with decidedly non-budget features (fingerprint reader, metal chassis, etc.).

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Got my G5 plus too and loving it so far. It's the 4gb RAM Amazon version and feels great. The ads are nothing, just a tiny notification on lock screen. You breeze right by them with fingerprint login. This thing looks and feels like a phone double or triple it's price. Haven't used the camera much but that's next.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
For the G5 havers, turn on one button nav with fingerprint sensor in moto app. It's super handy, you can go home, back, and open apps with swipes across the sensor.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

E2M2 posted:

Anyone having trouble getting Google Assist to wake up a Moto G5+? Talking about "OK Google" from a turned off screen. Its enabled in settings.

Hrm I can't get it to work either and am going to chalk it up to a Google fuckup. On the voice setting to enable it the text says it works even when the screen is off, but when you walk through the training and say ok Google 3 times it says it only works when the screen is on or the device is charging. I think they just have piss poor wording and it only works when screen on.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Had a good full day of usage and so far battery life on G5 plus is excellent. In the last 12 hours I've been out and about running errands and using the phone a few small times. I did a 2.5 hour run with GPS logging banging away the whole time too. As of right now battery is at 60%. That's the best I've ever had in a phone personally. Could probably push this to two days of use on a full charge in a pinch. The fast turbo charging is excellent too. Overall I'm really liking the phone.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Paul MaudDib posted:

I want to sync podcasts to my phone. Key features for me are:

• RSS feed support
  • Only download over LAN
  • Auto-delete after certain age/max number on phone

Any recommendations?

If there's nothing good I can always download them to my PC and set it up as some kind of a generic filesync-over-lan but I'd probably prefer having a real app so I could download more on the go if needed.

Also - any recommendations for a wifi-only Android MP3 player, ideally unlocked and with some decent open firmware ala Cyanogen or whatever the open fork is now?

Pocket Casts does all of what you mention. It's nice too as it can sync its state across multiple devices so you start listening on phone then pick up exactly where you were later on tablet, etc. (even across Android, iOS, etc.).

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

redreader posted:

Moto g5+ possible issue: When I'm in a building on wifi and go outside to my car, it doesn't transition smoothly to 4g, and has GPS issues in waze. If I turn off waze and wifi, then reload waze, it works fine. I've seen this twice so far at different locations. Anyone else seeing this? I suppose I knew with my old phone to turn off wifi before I turned on waze / satnav. It's an ongoing android issue really, to come to think of it.

I've seen this with lots of phones, I think when you're on juuust enough wifi to talk to the AP but not fast enough to get useful data you get into that weird gray zone where everything sucks. It happens to me outside my place in a parking spot too and has happened with all my phones.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Sorry we lost the user replaceable battery battle years ago. Time to get used to carrying a USB battery pack. Might want to start looking at bluetooth headphone/earbuds soon too.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Camera on the G5+ seems fine to me, I think people are grasping for straws to find faults. Sure it's no Pixel or iPhone 7, but it's noticeably better than my Moto X Pure. The front camera is a big improvement too. For a $200-300 phone this thing is stellar.

Also the headphone output on the G5+ sounds great. I swear it sounds better than my MXP with the same headphones. The speaker is good too, it's not stereo but gets plenty loud for listening to podcasts, etc.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Helter Skelter posted:

I haven't messed with it, but in the sound settings on my G5+, there's a "Power up sound" setting.

E: messed with it, it does in fact disable the sound during the boot animation.

Oh thank god, I hate that poo poo!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
GPS needs a clear view of satellites and if it can't get that then modern phones fall back to cell tower location. When you're indoors there's a very poor connection to satellites (remember trying to use old car GPS receivers indoors? they never worked unless in a window sill) so your phone is probably getting location from the closest tower.

I haven't seen any wonkiness with my G5+ GPS for what it's worth. Seems to lock on just fine and give good directions.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

nimper posted:

I have a south-facing window with a clear view of the sky. C'mon satellites.

Yeah that's still not usually going to work. Those satellites are 12,000+ miles away from you and you need to lock on to the signal from three of them.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

docbeard posted:

Wait, the Moto G5 doesn't have USB-C?

Okay, now it's definitely my next phone after my N6 dies.

Yep USB micro with Motorola's turbocharger/QuickCharge 3.0 fast charge.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

IuniusBrutus posted:

Has anyone switched from iOS to a non-flagship Android phone? My iPhone 7 is going to be getting replaced, and I've been thinking of selling the fresh one and switching to a Moto G5+. I'm getting sick of chasing $800 phones, and I use Google services. Will I regret this intensely?

I went from an iPhone 6 on a $90/mo contract to a Moto G on a $20/mo MVNO a few years ago and loved it. It's so much nicer to own the phone and shop around for cheap providers. I don't use a ton of data so I use a T-Mobile MVNO that's kind of pay as you go and pay a fraction of what I did previously--I've easily saved $1000 or so in the last couple years. As far as the switch from iOS to Android goes it's fine. There are a few more rough edges in Android but overall on a modern phone like the G5+ (what I have now) it's very nice. The only caveat is if you're deep in Apple's ecosystem with iTunes, their storage, etc. etc. then you'll regret it immensely as none of that is available on Android. If you use third party stuff like Dropbox for storage, Spotify for music, etc. you'll be just fine (and if you're on Google stuff then you're definitely fine). I really can't think of a single standout feature from the iPhone that I miss or isn't available on Android.

Actually the one thing I do miss is a sleep timer for audio apps--in iOS it's built into the alarm but in Android you need to hunt down a lovely 3rd party app to do it. If that's my only complaint in two+ years of switching then it's not so bad IMHO.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 10, 2017

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Leper Residue posted:

I just got my G5+ today and I'm really liking it so far. I have a few things I'm not sure about but I'm not sure if that's a phone thing or a android thing or just that I've never used a smart phone before. Like why does it never seem consistent in how I unlock the screen? Why can I sometimes casually rest my finger on the phone and not bring up random poo poo and other times random poo poo will come up. how come when I go OK Google play siouxie and the banshees and I'll find myself listening to not them.

otherwise it's a learning experience but I'm happy with my purchase so far.

Hrm if you're touching the screen and it's randomly turning on then something is weird and you might want to look at getting a replacement. However if you touch the fingerprint sensor (the little oval rectangle at the bottom) it will try to read it and vibrate / turn on--that's normal. For unlocking with fingerprint it's been rock solid for me, I have three fingers trained and haven't had any problems. Perhaps you need to retrain them? Make sure to move your fingers around in a circle a bit so it can see all angles.

edit: Oh is it a clock that randomly appears? I have a feeling you have Motorola's ambient display still turned on (it's on by default). It's a dumb thing IMHO that shows a clock and notifications periodically or when it detects movement of the phone. It's trying to guess when you're glancing at the phone and tries to show you what's on it. I think the feature is just a dumb battery waste though, if I want to see the time or notifications I'll press the power button. Run the Moto app and you can disable the ambient display.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 10, 2017

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
And you don't need to make excuses if you just want to get rid of the phone and go back to iOS. We give no fucks. It's weirder if you dance around the issue.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I tried Android Auto and in my experience it was a poo poo show. Very limited and horrible UI. It was always trying to do the wrong thing I wanted. Slightly less of a poo poo show than the Android TV box I had though (holy crap that thing was _terrible_). Android on anything other than a phone is a big gamble.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Splinter posted:

What's the recommended Moto G-like phone for T-Mobile in the US these days? G5? G5+? G4 play? My SO just cracked the screen on her 3rd gen Moto G and is looking to get something newer. The G5 seems like the best fit for newness and size, but Moto doesn't even advertise the G5 on their site anymore and it's more expensive on on Amazon. The G5+ may be a bit big. Also, how lovely are the Amazon versions with lockscreen ads? For a SO phone the G5+ from Amazon is perfect.

The G5 isn't being sold in the US--it's probably a higher price because people are importing it. It's silly to consider it at all if it's more than the G5+ though. I have the Amazon G5+ and it's fantastic. With fingerprint login you never even notice the lockscreen ad. If there's any notification from other apps then it's just a tiny little notification size ad, otherwise it's a full screen image. Like I said you breeze right by it with fingerprint login. I think mine is always showing me an ad for Dropbox, Amazon prime, etc. Otherwise there's no difference between a normal G5+, other than being $60 cheaper (go for the 4GB memory version). There are Amazon apps preinstalled but you don't need to login or use them (you can't delete them though). Also the phone can't be rooted, but who cares about that IMHO.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Variable_H posted:

Here's a question not related to smartwatches at all:
Do Android phones still tend to get fairly warm when under moderate usage? The LG G3, Note 3, Nexus 6, and Note 7 I've had all had a tendency to get anywhere from pretty warm to really hot when just browsing the forums and texting/using Google Hangouts/checking Twitter, which is something I never really noticed on my iPhone. Never been sure if it was an Android issue, a Qualcomm issue, or a me issue.

That's just a phone issue. The Nexus 6P I noticed was really bad about getting hot too, but the Moto X Pure and Moto G5+ I've had since then never get hot.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

EdEddnEddy posted:

The question does come down to how it will be in 6 months+.

Will it still exist? Will it get updates?

Will Bixby work?

LMAO

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

WhyteRyce posted:

What is the general consensus on all those Chinese brand phones? Yes they are stealing your data and sending it to China instead of sending it to the NSA?

I've been looking into them and the vast majority don't support all the LTE bands and would work badly in the states. It's a drat shame too because stuff like the Xiaomi A2, Pocophone, etc. are astounding and blow everything away anywhere near their price. I'm so fed up with my Moto G5+ and ready to jump ship to the first good phone I can find that's under $300 and has good LTE support (and no I don't want the Nokia 6.1--it's a 16:9 brick with no weather resistance).

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 3, 2018

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

bull3964 posted:

Nokia 7.1 is official for US

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/10/the-349-nokia-7-1-brings-a-low-price-flagship-style-design-to-the-us/

$349 Android One

Snapdragon 636 SoC
4GB of RAM
64GB of storage
3060mAh battery
5.8-inch, 19.9, 2280×1080 LCD with notch

Nice! That's really competitive with the midrange phones from China right now actually. I think I found my next phone--can't wait to dump this G5+.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I'll take a good 15+ watt fast charge any day over wireless charging. Wireless power is one of those features like modularization that sounds good on paper and you think you need, but then you use and realize it's kinda a dumb (slow) gimmick.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

OhFunny posted:

Pixel 2 was announced Oct 4th and available Oct 19th. Pixel 1 was also announced Oct 4th available Oct 20th. Pixel 3 will probably be available Oct 29th or so.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/9lsxco/more_leaks_price/

Prices have leaked due to Canadian carriers jumping the gun and sending out upgrade offers.

In CAD:
Pixel 3 64gb - $999
Pixel 3 128gb - $1129
Pixel 3XL 64gb - $1129
Pixel 3XL 128gb - $1259

Which puts US prices at:

Pixel 3 64gb - $771
Pixel 3 128gb - $871
Pixel 3XL 64gb - $871
Pixel 3XL 128gb - $971

Probably bumped up or down a little

My mind just boggles at spending laptop money on a phone. I really don't understand why there isn't a $200-300 pixel phone to compete with other midrange Android phones. Maybe the OEMs are pressuring Google to stay out of their market.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

nimper posted:

This is the exact purpose of the Android One program.

Yeah and they're all pretty poo poo devices in the $200-300 range unfortunately. I'd love to find something otherwise but in the US there's nothing good in Android One.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

bull3964 posted:

What, exactly, are you expecting Google to do in that space that Nokia has not.

Check out all the midrangers in China... these things are $200-300 and completely blow away anything in Android One and the US: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVJ5yuUCk8wCD57ZG3xh1vNddiLDBwvAb Stuff like the Pocophone have a snapdragon 845 (that's flagship level CPU), tons of RAM, great screens, good cameras, etc. for a third of the price of a $1000 phone. I'm expecting Google to offer something similar. And this isn't just Xiaomi having some secret sauce--there are dozens of China midrangers with great processors, screens, cameras, etc.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Do your research before believing whatever FUD you read. Some of the cheap ones don't support security level 1 and Netflix's app won't do HD. But if you actually take time to look at the reviews and specs you'll see ones (some even in the Android One program but not sold in the US) have full support for security level 1. They even support stuff like Google's Treble and such which a lot of phones in the US don't even support.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 6, 2018

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Check out Huawei's phones, like the Honor Note 10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riv_oykNsfk&t=671s If you really for some reason need HD for just Netflix on the tiny phone screen then there are options. Personally I'll save the $600+ and get a Xiaomi phone... if it's an option.

But this is all avoiding the issue.. there's no reason why these phones shouldn't be available in the USA--a ~$300 phone with good specs, Android One, etc. Not the $300 crap that's years old we get today.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Nah, sorry $1k+ flagship buyers are absolutely the minority. 99% of Android phones are cheap ones sold to billions of people around the world. Now of course those $1k+ phones are where the biggest profits are to be made so we're sold a bill of goods that we need to buy them, but the fact is there are fantastic $200-300 phones with much better performance and specs than more expensive phones. Just not in the US, because... well I don't know why.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

CLAM DOWN posted:

I think you're misunderstanding me. I was pointing out the shift from desktop to mobile computing

I'm not, and I don't dispute that. But I do dispute that you need a $1k phone to replace your desktop/laptop computing. A $200-300 phone can do just great there. My frustration is that Google, et. al. aren't offering anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Paul MaudDib posted:

Crosspost from the iphone thread but my 4.5 year old Moto G Falcon needs replaced. BH Photo Video has new-old-stock Pixel XL 128GBs for $390, am I going to do any better than that on any kind of a reasonable budget? $400 is about what I want to spend, maybe $500 if there's a really good option.

I like good cameras and battery life. A little disappointed in the lack of image stabilization on the XL but if it's going to involve spending $300+ more for something comparable then I'll live.

Wait a week to see what happens with Pixel 3 and such. At the very least it might push other phones done. IMHO Pixel 1 is just too old and going to be EOL anyways. I'd look at a Moto G6 if you have to buy now, but realize it will never be updated in a major way (and will lag behind on security updates significantly). Or check out the new Nokia 7.1 if you can wait a month for its release.