Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

codo27 posted:

Thats good to know. Had my S7 16 days and dropped it from a short end table and smashed the back. I had just taken the case off a few hours prior. edit: contacted them and they are telling me to go to my carrier. I do have insurance through them but fucks sake I dont wanna pay $79 two weeks into ownership, I thought there might be a grace period or something.

On the original galaxy and perhaps even the 3 I remember having an app that allowed me to download a whole bunch of new fonts. Choices are slim as usual out of box but all the alternatives are paid. Any way to get more free ones?

A grace period for damaging your phone. New fonts. Please do not drunk post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Let's at least be honest about the fact that you can easily contact Samsung once your phone explodes. Presuming you have a second phone.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Fi family plan might make it reasonable for the wife and me to switch & get 2 Pixels.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
While reading the news this morning, my 5X shut off, went into a bootloop, and then stopped responding to the power button. It's literally 12 months, 3 weeks old. I'm on my wife's iPhone 5 waiting to hear if they'll replace it.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

BoyBlunder posted:

This has been happening a lot to 5X's from some quick googling. I guess it's also happening with other LG phones.

I hope Google will do you a solid. 6P's are dropping in price like rocks right now on Swappa, and I picked up a 32GB one from $330 early last week. They're down to about $300.

They transferred me to LG, whose solution is "send it to us and within 7-9 days we will determine if it's your fault and if we will fix it or replace it."

I don't have a backup phone and I actually need it for my job. Just ordered the Pixel. I guess I could have ordered the 5X again, but whatever.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
re: my dead gay 5X

Yes, I hit it against a desk; no I'm not kidding. When it bootlooped I hoped that all that was wrong was that the power button was stuck.

I bought it from the Play store, and again, it's literally just a hair under 13 months old. Google asked the standard questions ("Um sir what happen when you are plugging it in?") and then connected me to LG, who directed me to a website where I can print a return label.

I keep going back and forth about switching to the iPhone, but my wife has one and I just hate the software. Meanwhile I rely on several Google services (gmail, maps, youtube, search, calendar), but the hardware. Even when my 5X was working, my only complaint was that the compass never worked quite right, and had to be "calibrated" by waving the phone around. So when it was pointing the wrong loving direction in Japan, I wanted to pour Calpis on the loving thing. I don't understand why I have to gently caress with the compass, but the iPhone has a perfectly working compass every time.

I'm hoping the Pixel has nothing especially bad, or I'm going to be left with the iPhone.

edit: oh and LG saying "7-9 days" for my phone just feels...unacceptable? Considering this seems to be a known issue. Like, I suppose if I broke it, then that's the price I'd have to pay. But that's not the case.

nocal fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 24, 2016

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Ordered my Pixel through Fi on Sunday and chose 1 day shipping (my N5X randomly stopped working and I need my phone for work). I'm on the T-Mob nerd plan and have been considering switching for a while to Fi; have yet to activate & port though.

First impressions:
-Phone is physically heavier and feels more well-built than the 5X
-Bezels are probably a bit too large, but not as bad as it looks in the pictures
-Metal is slippery, but ironically the glass part of the back does not feel slippery -- if you think about it this makes sense
-Screen is, I guess, very slightly smaller, but doesn't seem especially different
-Screen quality seems slightly better, though not a giant leap in quality
-Phone is definitely faster and more responsive, though again not a giant leap
-Camera definitely opens slightly faster and is faster to take a pic; quality is hard to tell now as I've only taken one picture
-Phone comes with charger, C to C cable, A to C cable, and even a A to C adapter; the 5X not coming with an A to C was a minor complaint, so this is an improvement
-Setup is easy, it migrated my contacts, photos, and apps

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Pixel:
Has about the same battery life as the N5X. It's fine.
The RAM (I guess?) makes it waaay more usable -- something like Pokemon doesn't get kicked out of memory after I send a quick text. Or after I use three other apps.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Have you tried Opera? It's got built-in ad-blocking. It still won't be as smooth as Safari but it's elegant enough.

I downloaded an open source app called DNS66, it's been working pretty well blocking most ads, at least in the browser.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I don't like cases on my phones, but my Pixel has slipped out of my pocket twice, putting two small dents into the corners. It is ridiculously slippery.

I ordered a clear Spigen case off Amazon for less than $20, we'll see how it is.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Melraidin posted:

Sorry, I'm sure this has likely been rehashed over and over but could anyone give me a brief rundown or links to why I might aim to get a 5x, 6p, or something like that over the Oneplus 3? It sounds like the 5x is the current recommendation if the Pixel isn't an option but I'm not sure why. I'm in Canada and would be buying the phone outright, not sure if that makes a difference. I do prefer to pay up front, just to know that if I break the thing I won't be sitting around making monthly payments on something I can't use.

Big fan of the OP3 here. Let me list for you just a few of the many (even myriad) reasons why one might want to get a OnePlusThree:
-China
-Most Ram
-SD card [i[inside[/i] battery (removables)
-2 batterys
-3 sim cards (controls chip, mainly)
-standard plug
-nonstandard charge
-single screen
-waterproof (?)

If you want more please send a pic of your cleaves to our user forum at https://www.3.one

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
So previously a major thing that made me consider the iPhone was 1) the speed of camera launch, combined with 2) the speed of capturing the first photograph and all subsequent photographs. All of my android phones were slow to open the app and slow to take a picture.

My Pixel is the first phone that compares to the iPhone as far as pictures, and not just in quality, but in speed. Double tap the power button, and holding down the shutter button takes pics continuously, and makes GIFs. I did this for maybe 1-2 seconds last night, it took 16 pics (all of decent quality) and instantly had made a GIF.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Luchadork posted:

Hi, it's me, the guy that never had any of the weird 5x problems that everyone else did. Apparently my luck ran out though, as I was just looking at something in Google Fit and the phone locked up, turned itself off, and now will not turn back on. I've tried holding power/vol down, I've tried leaving it on the charger (it had at least 70% battery when this happened though), nothing is bringing it back. Anything else I can try?

EDIT: Okay after sitting on the charger for an hour it finally booted up. Should I just contact Google now for a replacement or wait and see if it happens again?

FWIW, mine was similar: nearly perfect until it up and died on a Sunday morning. It was almost exactly 13 months old, and Google support sent me to LG support. LG support says, "Mail it to us, and if you didn't break it, we'll get it back to you in 7-9 days." I didn't have a backup phone, and I need my phone for work, so I was forced to order a Pixel on short notice.

Now, the Pixel is an excellent phone. But I would have waited until it went on sale, because I was happy with my 5X. Just so you know what to expect, presuming it fully dies.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Almost for sure the credit card you paid for the N5 with does an extended warranty that should double the mfg warranty. All they do is refund you, why not give that a try.

I just mailed it. But I bought it with an AmEx, so yeah, maybe if they give me any poo poo I'll contact them.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Real Gaiman posted:

[video][/video]

I disagree

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
LG said they would refund me for my dead 5X. Great, because I bought a Pixel.

A few days later they say they need my receipt, so I send it.

A few days later, I get a shipping notification. I figure it's either a check, or my dead phone.

It's my phone...and it's been repaired. Guess I'm not getting refunded? At least I have a spare now?

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
My 5X was one month out of warranty. LG said they would repair it; then they said they would refund me; then by surprise they shipped it back to me fully repaired. This process took several weeks.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Should have taken it to the Lucky Goldstore.

Wait...Apple has stores??

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Fi is probably what they'll be rolling the "internet for everyone everywhere" plan into with wireless devices being as common as they are.

I honestly think that digging cables into the ground is in the past, and the future is wireless. I noticed that tethering my phone to my laptop is about as fast as my low-tier cable internet, and I know in many areas it isn't cost effective to lay cable.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

IAmKale posted:

Is anyone having issues with the Pixel and "OK Google" detection constantly shutting itself off?

That first toggle is the one that keeps flipping to off any time I exit this screen. When I flip it on it appears to activate, but if I jump to the homescreen and then immediately back to this screen the toggle jumps to the Off position. Voice detection used to work just fine, when I originally got the phone, but now I have to long press the Home button to use it.

I just rebooted a day or two ago, too, so I have no idea what's going on...

I think I had this problem when I tried to use an app that was supposed to push notifications to my car stereo. Since it needed to always be running, it somehow precluded using voice recognition...took me a while to figure out. So, if you have an app that has an effect on notifications, maybe it's that.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

BrienneGetsHanged posted:

Hello,

Which phone is great right now to buy? This is a very important decision and I want to know which phone works the best for having a good time, and also maybe the phone that I can have the most fun with. Thanks

do you like ram

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Am I the only one who unlocked my Pixel and now has, rather than the "home" circle, a multi-colored "assistant" circles? Also the onscreen buttons no longer go away in fullscreen apps, it seems like.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
So my weird issue is that when I unlocked my phone --as in, put my finger on the fingerprint scanner -- my home button was randomly different. Instead of a white circle, it is now the assistant circles in a long row (small blue, red, yellow, green circles). That is now my home button, all the time. When I use a formerly fullscreen game, the buttons no longer disappear. Unfortunately the built-in screenshot function doesn't show the buttons at all, so I can't show it.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
My wife is phone stupid and therefore I have to do everything with her iPhone or else listen to her complain. Since her 6+ was updated to iOS 11, the camera takes 5 or more seconds to open and the phone dies at 50% battery.

Good thing there's an Apple store! Google truly can't match this experience:
"Did this start happening recently? Yeah it's the iOS 11 update; you'll have to wait for the next update to fix it. I can set you up with a phone call to support, or to see a tech it'll be 2 1/2 hours..."

gently caress it, I'll factory reset it first at least. There is clearly a backup already because iCloud constantly nags that it's "almost" out of space and we need to buy more. Of course I'll run the backup process just in case though.

lol no nothing at all was backed up...not even contacts or calendar. Her iPad was backed up, though! The iCloud website is a dinosaur and actually went down for maintenance when I tried to use it.

If it means having to put up with some garbage on the hardware front, I'll take Google software any day.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Speaking of garbage hardware I preordered the 2XL after being almost 100% happy with my regular Pixel.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I bought a Pixel 2XL from the Fi store...does this mean I don't get the free Home promo?

Anyway, coming from a Pixel 1:
-There is blue shift, but it's barely noticeable at all. I wouldn't have noticed if it weren't for goony goon goons. Otherwise it looks great, and I prefer the muted palette.
-Everything is like 5-10% faster, even the fingerprint scanner. It's not a crazy difference, but it's slightly faster.
-For the first time, 100% of everything transferred, including texts. It also automatically set up a work profile for my work email. Not really necessary, but cool anyway.
-Battery lasts all day without charging, and I'm a relatively heavy user. My Pixel 1 (1 year old and smaller battery) needed to be charged whenever I was driving between appointments during the work day.
-Nothing big in the way of bugs, except that the phone is inexplicably stuck on the September security patch.

A recent issue with both the P1 & P2XL is that Google Play Music force closes after ~20s when casting to my Sonos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Just tried the "check for updates" button on my Pixel XL2...and it worked :question: