Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
Just got my Moto X 2013, I like it a lot but is having the "ok Google Now..." feature on all the time a good idea? I thought the only reason Apple does it when the phone is plugged in was because constantly listening for a phrase is a serious drain on the battery? Is this somehow not the case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

Moto designed some special low-power hardware to handle the constant listening without draining your battery. Leave it on and enjoy peace of mind.

Mooktastical posted:

It uses a second low power cpu, so no, it's actually not the case.

Wow, that is really cool. Thank you, I did not know that.

Skeezy posted:

One day I hope the Moto assist stuff becomes a normal part of Android as a whole because it super cool and would make Android so much better overall.

Agreed! Which reminds me. Someone told me using the Nova Launcher could cause some Moto stuff to not work properly. Has anyone found that to be true?

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
Did anyone install Lollipop on the 2013 Moto X yet? I wanted some feedback before I went through with it as I'm hearing mixed things.

The battery life on my Moto X is pretty abysmal, but I came from a RAZR MAXX HD so maybe I am spoiled. I swear, if the RAZR MAXX HD had 2GB of RAM (I don't even care about the CPU) I would probably use that phone the rest of my life. Any phones on the horizon with that kind of 3300mAh battery?

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Guillermus posted:

The new Moto X 2015 is rumored to have 3000 or more. The G4 will have a 3000mAh battery and you could try a Xperia Z3, Huawei Honor 6, etc... All are 5.5" or less.

Wow that's great, thanks. I'd really prefer a screen 4.5" or smaller but I'm sure I'm in the minority and that those days are over. The 2013 Moto X is CONSTANTLY slipping out of my hand because it's slightly too big for my girly hands, and the backing appears to have been made out of butter. Before someone calls me a klutz, know that I never even once dropped my RAZR MAXX HD (due to the awesome rubbery back material and the fact that it's flat and not curved). 4" to 4.5" screens with a 3000mAh battery I assume are a pipe dream?

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Guillermus posted:

I searched for a 4" to 4.7" screen with 2600mAh or more battery with 9 results (if you get a 5" screen you get a tad more):
http://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3?fDisplayInchesMin=4&fDisplayInchesMax=4.7&nBatCapacityMin=2600&sOSes=2&sOSversions=2440,2500

LG Volt has a 4.7" screen (540 x 960) and 3000mAh battery, Snapdragon 400, 1Gb RAM...
http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_volt-6357.php

I personally would go with a Z3C. It doen't have a 3000mAh battery but is awesome on the rest (a coworker reported me that its battery life is really nice).

Thank you! However, no Z3C for me as I am on Verizon. :sigh:

I would consider the LG Volt but the 1GB of RAM is the only reason I had to get away from the RAZR MAXX HD (or I'd still be using it today). I found it got way too laggy way too quickly due to the RAM being maxed.

hotsauce posted:

Just when you thought SD cards went the way of the dodo, Google baked in a way to "marry" SD storage as if it were part of the phone:

http://developer.android.com/preview/behavior-changes.html#behavior-adoptable-storage

Can't wait on the crying that will happen en masse when said SD card fails and the entire phone breaks.

I've come to live without microSD expansion but I still am annoyed that nothing mounts as a mass storage USB device since (I think?) Jellybean. It might sound like :spergin: but I tried to transfer ~30 photos from a friend's phone to my PC and MTP mode really sucks. It kept randomly closing the folder (as if the phone was disconnected, but it wasn't) and I could only get it to work if I transferred like 4 photos at a time. I also always seem to need to plug in the phone like 4 times until Windows detects it sometimes (doesn't matter which PC, phone, or cable). MTP mode also seems incredibly slow compared to mass storage mode. I guess the reason they switched to MTP makes sense (you could delete a system app while it was running I guess?) but I really miss mass storage even today.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I can't believe I am saying this, but I'd actually consider purchasing a BlackBerry phone in the year 2015.

And of course they go and make it AT&T only. :thumbsup:

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

SB35 posted:

Did they learn nothing from the flop of the fire phone? Hope they sell unlocked too.

Even if it's unlocked, isn't getting it to work with Verizon a little wonky due to at&t phones not having all the proper radio frequencies?

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I never got the hate for phone rooting around here. Installing a custom firmware, absolutely. But rooting is ridiculously easy and the stuff it adds to the phone is fantastic. XPosed/Gearbox for little things like swiping the top of the screen to adjust brightness. AdBlock. Tethering when you are on unlimited data. Phone call recording with CallRecorder and AlsaMixer. Taking screen shots from the power menu. Using the volume keys to go back/forward in text entry fields (makes fixing typos in e-mails/shitposts/texts a million times easier).

If you want to update your phone all you have to do is flash the stock recovery (takes 11 seconds) and rename install-recovery_original.sh to install-recovery.sh and you're done, the phone will update just fine and you don't lose any data.

To each their own but rooting definitely isn't stupid and unnecessary (flashing custom ROMs is, however. Though in the HTC Thunderbolt days it was understandable).

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Tunga posted:

No longer true. OTAs will fail if there are any modifications to the system image as of Lollipop.

Oh I had no idea. Probably because my Moto X never got Lollipop :v:

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

galahan posted:

Adblock isn't just for websites either. I've adblocked and untracked myself from practically everything at one point.

YouTube/ lastfm on my phone is about the coolest one right now

Can you tell me how you did this, please? I have AdAway installed on my phone but I still get ads on Youtube. What did you do if you don't mind me asking?

galahan posted:

Also YouTube background playback lets me play music without sucking 1+% battery every 20 min or less due to the screen being on.

OK this I definitely need to know as well. The last program that worked was PVStar and that stopped working a long time ago. Even trying to Google it I just get posts from 2013 recommending PVStar, or people saying there's no way to do it. Please share your secrets.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Oh, ok. Thanks anyway. galahan's post made it sound like a case for rooting a phone so I thought maybe it was just some clever root-only hack.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I am definitely one of those that still prefer a physical keyboard. I am not a grandpa, and have been using non-physical keyboards on my phones for years, but even with Swype I never got as fast as I did with physical buttons. Hell, I was faster using T9 on my old black and white Nokia than I am with all-touch.

However, I highly doubt there's any demand for physical keyboards, and I say that because....wouldn't one exist if there was any demand? Motorola was the only one still making them and that was in 2011. I would think that demand would have been filled a long time ago.

But if there's ever a smartphone with a physical keyboard on Verizon with at least 2 GB of RAM, count me in.

Not that the new Blackberry is coming to Verizon (looks like GSM only), but 5+" is kind of overkill in my opinion. Not sure how you're going to type with one hand with that.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
Is there any way in Android to have a phone number saved in my contacts (so that I know it's that person when/if they call) but also have it "blocked"? Long story short I have a psycho ex and his 3 different numbers (and his family members) stored in my phone so that if any of them call I know not to pick up. But I am also worried about accidentally texting them or accidentally calling them while scrolling through my contacts or something.

I don't know if what I am saying makes sense. Basically I want these numbers saved in my phone, but I don't want them having even a 0.1% chance of showing up as I choose text contacts or whatever.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

n.. posted:

why not just change the name so it always at the end of the list. zzz(Name) or whatever. i think you're overthinking this

Because that doesn't make me accidentally hitting that contact any less likely; same with accidentally hitting it when texting someone named Zach, for instance.

I'm not over thinking it. I've texted and called people accidentally several times.

w00tazn posted:

Mine seems to happen for both my personal gmail inbox and my exchange mail :(

I just have a contact named "Blocked List" with a billion different saved numbers on it that goes straight to Voice Mail

This is a pretty good idea (though I assume their names will still come up when the phone is looking for contacts to send a text to). How do I do this on Android? Or is this a feature of Google Voice or something?

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
Thanks all for the replies. I just wanna give an endorsement for TrapCall. The drat thing actually does unblock the numbers of people who call from blocked numbers! I thought it was horseshit until I figured out how they do it (redirects the caller to their 800 number which gets the info because *67 does not work on 800 numbers, then it forwards the call back to you with all the info). Yeah it's expensive as hell but it is the only thing that actually works. It's awesome.

Syrinxx posted:

Make a contact called BLOCKED ALSO DON'T TEXT THIS NUMBER or whatever. Then edit that contact, add all the numbers of your crazy ex, press the ... menu and tick the "all calls to voicemail" box.

Or alternately use Truecaller

Thank you, I will try this. I am currently using WhitePages Caller ID. Is Truecaller better in your opinion? It seems like I have to setup a call forwarding thing for it and I don't want it messing up my TrapCall.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

In my opinion Whitepages Caller ID is the better app. It just works better.

Thanks! I didn't know if TrueCaller did any extra stuff like searched Facebook for the phone number to link with a name (you can actually do this in a lot of cases; search someone's phone number where you'd normally put their email address and their Facebook profile will show up). If a caller ID incorporates that ever, it would be glorious!

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I'm not sure if this should be in this thread or the apps thread, so I apologize if I posted this in the wrong thread. You can just ignore my post if it's the wrong thread and I will get the hint :)

I am looking for a way to map a network folder in Android. For example, on my Windows server PC, I have a folder called F:\games_and_videos\ . That entire drive is shared. I have no trouble accessing it on my Android with file browsers like ES File Explorer. However, that's not what I need. I need a way to "map" the drive/folder in Android, somewhere like /storage/emulated/0/crapola

I can find a ton of people asking about this on various forums, but the solutions seem to be either a Linux command or CIFS Manager (which just inputs the Linux commands for you) but apparently phones no longer use CIFS or something? So none of those methods work for me.

I am on Oreo 8.1. Does anyone know any way to do this?

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Ola posted:

Google had an official Android Samba Client, according to this: https://www.androidpolice.com/2017/07/05/google-releases-samba-client-android-adds-windows-file-shares-downloadsfiles-app/

But Google being Google, it seems to be gone without a trace. But if you search the store for "samba client" you'll probably find something to get you started.

Thanks so much for the reply!

I actually tried a bunch of apps; I will use AndSMB as an example. What it did was basically "sync" with the shared folder on the server. So if I have my F:\games_and_videos\ folder linked using AndSMB to the /storage/emulated/0/crapola folder, all the app does is automatically download everything from the F:\games_and_videos\ and dumps it in the /storage/emulated/0/crapola folder. This defeats the entire reason I am trying to do what I am trying to do (not wasting internal storage space).

There's a million posts about trying to do what I am trying to do all over the internet, but they are all from 2012 and earlier, and none of the methods work after google allowed multiple user accounts for whatever reason.

jenny jones fan fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 28, 2018

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Blue Train posted:

What might work is mounting the smb share through terminal and then using ln -s to create a symbolic link, but in order to mount the share I think you would need root. Otherwise the smb clients work like you said. Android might not support mounting remote file systems at all tho, I've found differing information on it

I actually am rooted, so this makes me happy.

I just downloaded terminal emulator. What exactly do I need to type? :shobon:

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Blue Train posted:

If it's possible it'll be something like

mount –t smbfs 192.168.0.1:/share1 /mnt -o username=surendra,workgroup=test

just change /mnt to whatever directory you want to access it from, share1 will be whatever the path on the smb server is. IP username and workgroup need to be changed to your information

I really appreciate it. I will give it a try in a few hours and I will let you know how it went :)

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

The Shied TV can mount SMB shares, so there's got to be some way.

I have a Shield TV. I can install AirDroid on it and download any APK from the device. If the thing that allows it is just an APK thing I can maybe grab it that way?

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Blue Train posted:

If it's possible it'll be something like

mount –t smbfs 192.168.0.1:/share1 /mnt -o username=surendra,workgroup=test

just change /mnt to whatever directory you want to access it from, share1 will be whatever the path on the smb server is. IP username and workgroup need to be changed to your information

OK just a small update but this didn't work, no matter what combination of my settings I tried. It seems to be a common error because cifs support has to be enabled or something? Is there any way to do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

I cannot find the app anywhere aside from a shady rear end app site.

apkmirror is like the only non-shady apk site lol