Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Anjow posted:

Are there any android devices out there yet that do 240fps video like the iPhone 6? I am an android convert now and it's the only thing that has made me envious of a friend's phone.

My Z3c can do 120 fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Guillermus posted:

Just curious, what's the point on recording @240fps? And with a phone?

Super slow motion recording, basically.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Nierbo posted:

I should have got the insurance thing so I can just smash this one and get a new one that isn't updated yet and just leave it on that firmware.

Even with insurance, you still end up paying a great deal of money for a replacement for exactly that reason.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

FistEnergy posted:

Really, reeeeeeally glad I bought a Sony Z3 instead of waiting for the upcoming phones. It's nearly perfect and is easily better than any HTC/Motorola/Samsung I've owned. Not having the Z3/Z3C on your list of top phones immediately invalidates said list.

It's almost as if RZA Encryption hypoberlizes so much that his posts are entirely meaningless as a rule, or something to that effect.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Logikv9 posted:

I want distance charging. Why even bother putting it on a pad when it can charge from X feet away?

Standing to close to the charger would irradiate you.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

BeastOfExmoor posted:

If you truly just need the phone to download the app:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Walmart-Family-Mobile-ZTE-Zinger-Smartphone/39150771

Note: I can't recall if you need to be rooted to grab an APK. If you do you might want to just buy a used Nexus 7 (2012). They should be well under $100 now.

You don't. Just check unknown sources in security settings.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Zalgo posted:

Unsure if this is the appropriate place to post this but here it goes~

Tragedy struck earlier this morning on my LG G3 in the form of a hairline screen crack on the bottom right of my phone, now ~1 inch of the right screen no longer responds to touch. Looking at my options here, how easy is it to replace with a DIY LCD/Digitizer replacement kit, and what are the best options for this?

Generally, if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't be loving with it. Screen replacement is typically $150-$175-ish regardless of if you take it to a place or have it done by the carrier.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

b0nes posted:

Anyone here happy with their Verizon S5? Cause mines a massive piece of poo poo. It lags a lot, my Nexus 5 never lagged a bit. Then theres all the lovely verizon apps you can't get rid of. Touchwiz is a mess. I thought I could get used to it but I can't. That dialer is crap, and all the replacements i've tried are crap. Then there is the issue with the dialer not sending out dtmf tones.I will dial my voicemail and the buttons won't work. Well the work the first 10 seconds but if you need to press buttons to transfer to an extension the won't work. I've tried a few dialers and they are acting the same. I'm guessing my battery only lasting 4 hours on T-Mobile is because the native chipset is optomised for Verizon towers?

Get a Z3/Z3C, and throw the s5 into traffic.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Norns posted:

He's full of poo poo.

Source, the S6 Edge I'm posting from.

Nobody likes Reverse Centaur.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Can't find a more appropriate thread. I broke the last MicroUSB charger I have at work and need to buy 1 or more new ones. I've got a 2nd Gen Moto X and trying to get a straight answer out of Motorola about which chargers other than this official one are going to be viable has not worked well (just getting the maximum input amperage number has failed miserably). I assume I actually want ones with this Quick Charge 2.0 stuff in it. Can anyone recommend somewhere to get reliable applicable chargers that aren't $35/each.

This is probably your best bet.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Lay hands on a Moto or Xperia. They are not stock, but the differences won't make you want to vomit.

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 11, 2015

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

That's cute.

I love the almost horizontal vertical lines every time you turn the screen on. Mine:

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 12, 2015

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

RVProfootballer posted:

What is wrong with your navigation buttons? What is wrong with your battery screen's background?

It's just a theme. I like how they make the nav buttons look, but not crazy about the background.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Mnemosyne posted:

Recommendations for the thinnest case for the Nexus 6 that still offers at least a little drop protection? I bought my husband a Nexus 6 and he's all ":words: don't want to use a case, it makes the phone too big :words:" but we have a 2 year old who swipes our phones, so he really needs something. If I buy him a case that he deems "too big" he just won't use it.

http://www.amazon.com/Diztronic-Matte-Flexible-Motorola-Nexus/dp/B00PYKPX8U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428903701&sr=8-1

e: You might want a glass screen protector too.

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 13, 2015

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

It's nice to see that AP treated that device with all of the seriousness that it deserves.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

rndmnmbr posted:

Didn't see a better thread to ask this in.

When I'm playing music, it will stop a minute or two after my screen locks. I googled the hell out of this, and the consensus seems to be excluding both the music player and the gallery app from your task killer. I did so, and it didn't help. In frustration, I excluded every app from the task killer, and it still didn't help. I'd just uninstall the task killer, but it's a system app and my phone isn't rooted (yet, waiting on bootloader unlock code). The only other advice out there is to turn off screen lock, but that kills my battery pretty quick so it's a no-go. This is really frustrating, it basically ruins half the reasons I bought this phone (make phone calls and listen to music at work).

My phone is an AT&T Go Phone, a Huawei Y536A1. Does anyone have any advice?

e. Music is located on my SD card. Maybe the phone is putting the SD card into some kind of standby mode on screen lock? If it is, is there a way to disable that?

Android really likes to kick poo poo out of memory. The less memory you have, the worse it gets. Uninstalling everything else with a running process that eats ram would mitigate the problem, but still wouldn't completely eliminate it, and is a bit of a drastic solution. When you get root, try installing an xposed addition called App Settings, and click the box that says "keep resident" for your media player app. Down side to doing that is, if the system runs out of RAM, it'll just crash and reboot.

So, your options suck. Get a new phone, or get the best dedicated media player you can afford. A Sansa Clip will run you about $40 on Ebay. You can also see what Swappa has in the way of super cheap phones.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

errad posted:

I ordered a Galaxy S6 today and am pretty excited (currently using a four year old razr maxx).

But now I'm paranoid about dropping the thing. Does anyone with an S6 have any case recommendations?

Diztronic TPU. Now and forever.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

kitten smoothie posted:

Post a screencap?

When you take the SS, remember to edit out any non-standard ui choices, or you'll trigger the resident spergs.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

nerve posted:

Hey guys I like the nexus 6 and I'm not upset that other people don't

:frogout:

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Does AT&T refund you for data not used?

That's the key piece here. That, along with the fact that the phone will actively seek out wifi when it's available in order to lessen your data usage.

There are times when I use 5gb in a month, there's times where I barely use more than 1gb. To get refunded when my usage is less is pretty huge.

I'd rather have the T-Mo nerd plan and work around the minute limit.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Logikv9 posted:

I have it for the Note 4 and it's fabulous. Unfortunately with the slim profile comes no drop protection other than crossing your fingers and hoping it's a carpet you're standing on.

If that's true, what is the point of even having a case?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Tunga posted:

One of the problems is that Android apps were historically allowed to poo poo their settings/data all over the SD card if they wanted to. It's hard to back that up and attribute it to the correct apps, especially if it is intentionally shared data or large media files.

You said it yourself though, that's a historical issue. Apps are no longer allowed to poo poo random garbage out all over your sd card as of KitKat.

Apple has had the full backup functionality for as long as I can remember, so Google's leaving it out is completely inexcusable at this point.

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 7, 2015

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Got an update to my unlocked Sony Xperia Z3 Compact today - it's just a firmware upgrade, but it adds a remove all button on the app switcher which is quite nice. Haven't noticed any other changes though. Now on build number 23.1.A.1.28 (Android 5.0.2).

Every new firmware update has me hoping against hope that we'll get RAW/camera2 support. Looks like Lucy pulled the football away again:

http://www.xperiablog.net/2015/05/05/sony-details-changelog-for-new-xperia-z2z3-series-lollipop-update/

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Variable_H posted:

Haha, nevermind, the reason it's only charging at a rate of 10 mA is because it's discharging at like 4500 mA for some loving reason.

You shouldn't fold proteins on your phone while you charge, it's detrimental. (lol)

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

nmfree posted:

They claim it will only run while the device is connected to a charger and the battery is at 100%, so...

This being a thing is way more funny than the thing I said. It's a worthy thing to throw processor cycles at, but what would possibly give anyone the notion that doing it on a phone is a good idea? No wonder Sony is selling the mobile division!

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Variable_H posted:

I wish I was doing something that worthy of murdering process cycles in the background. Anyone have an app I can use to diagnose this? The standard battery info isn't being much help.

:lol:

Nothing short of root will get that information, unfortunately.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

halokiller posted:

Hopefully more companies start making IP-rated phones, it's the deciding reason I picked the Z3 over the Nexus 6 and Moto X. That being said, I'm looking forward to Sony's Z4 Z5 assuming their mobile division survives.

If it does live past the upcoming generation, it'll be owned by a different company, like Lenovo.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

Verizon is worse than Dell when it comes to bullshit bloatware. Android is bad enough with redundancies but Verizon just staples the banana peel to the side of the bin like it's some badge of accomplishment.

The Verizon Navigator app costs $5/mo.

FAUXTON posted:

I mean I've been a foe of Verizon since before smartphones were even a thing but at some point I just stopped getting mad about it and feeling bad for their beaten-spouse subscribers.

And they pay so much more, too. The only ones I feel really bad for live in places where VZW is the only carrier with a presence.

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 14, 2015

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

calandryll posted:

This one is only about 8 months, it was a replacement phone. What I'm wondering is it was at 50% when I took the picture early and it just shutoff saying it was at 0% when I plugged it in to charge.

Manufacturer's warranty should last a year, and HTC has the 'oops' thing on top of that.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Where do people get ringtones and alarm sounds these days? My LG G2 has a few okay ones, but I'd prefer less happy-go-lucky ones. Are they downloaded through the Music or Apps section on the Play store?

Try Zedge

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

TraderStav posted:

Looks like Sony backpeddled and are relaunching the Z4 as the Z3+.

With the only changes being a flapless usb port, slimmer profile, and internal upgrades, I can see why they did it that way. The Z2 was more of a Z1+, after all. It makes no sense why it's still called the Z4 in Japan though.

I'm a bit disappointed that there was no mention of a Z4C, but not surprised.

Edit:Z3C+,even.

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 26, 2015

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

NonzeroCircle posted:

Walkman (now called 'Music') is great though and the camera is pretty ace.

I also love my Z3C, but I have to disagree on this part. I kind of froze Walkman out of hand, given that I was already very happy with my 3rd party music app. The camera, though, is inexcusable. Given how many other devices use an identical sensor, the performance should be identical to them, or at least comparable. I'd rather have Sony allow 3rd party apps full control of the camera post-processing, that way I could freeze the default camera app, and lock the camera shortcut to Camera FV-5.

Of course, this will never happen, because being different from other OEM's is the most important thing ever, even if it comes at the cost of the user experience.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

thebushcommander posted:

Anyone know why Google Services would be draining so much battery life with all location settings turned off in my settings? My battery usually will last upwards of 16hrs before I need to connect a charger 24hrs if I don't have bluetooth enabled/paired with my watch, but today it's been off charger for about 6 hours and I am down to 29% already and Google Services is the top item with 5hr30min of keep awake time.

Google services is a catch-all. Assuming you're not rooted, the only way to tell what app is pinging Google Services so much is to remove recently installed/updated apps until you identify the offending app by process of elimination.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
OTOH, I've used sd cards on every smartphone I've ever owned, and the only problem I've ever had was because I bought a counterfeit on Ebay. Maybe sd cards aren't garbage any more? :shrug:

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

nigga crab pollock posted:

Yo relock your bootloader if you're selling your phone. its like one command line over ADB.

I bought a moto x off of ebay a few months ago and just got the notification to update to 5.1, so i did. then it gave me an ominous warning screen that my bootloader was unlocked and i thought it had bricked my phone cause the warning screen isn't responsive to user input

I never hosed with custom firmware cause ~it actually worked out of the box~ so i have no clue why the nerdlinger that had it before me did it

Swappa is better for used phones than Ebay imo. The only 3 smartphones I've ever owned were from there, and I've never had to worry about that.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

hotsauce posted:

Cool. Fees then. They are outrageous. Whatever the case, I've stopped selling on eBay because idiot buyers have ruined me. YMMV.

The seller of my Z3C flat out lied about the waterproof flap staying secure. I figured he was lying when I bought it, and bought with the intention of opening a dispute for the cost of fixing it if the pressure sensor didn't read sealed.

The reason that I believe that buying on Swappa is better than Ebay is that their listing policy requires more specificity. This allows me to be the most pedantic douche on earth if the item isn't 100% as described. While I can still be a dick on Ebay, sellers have more wiggle room on there, which could conceivably mean that the chances of winning possible disputes isn't as good there.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

EBay is better for buying because with Swappa you only actually are using PayPal's purchase protection. Swappa does not actually have any hand in conflict resolution. With eBay, if you pay with PayPal you get both eBay's buyer protection and PayPal's anyways. By that metric alone its better. Price on eBay vs Swappa is about the same.

Selling is best on CL clearly, but Swappa is better because there's fewer fees and the buyer doesn't have eBay's clearly buyer biased protection policy.

You may argue that eBay is better for sellers than buyers because of your one experience, but in general, but from a purchase protection POV, you are wrong.

What does Ebay policy protect you from that PayPal policy doesn't?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
So goons, my family has a Verizon contract that's up for upgrade some time next month. What 'free' phone should I recommend? Droid Turbos for all?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

RZA Encryption posted:

This is a great post and I really wish Google would tell OEMs to gently caress off and make Android a Google only affair.

I took that post to be neutral towards OEM's and opposed to carrier intervention. How did you not? Regardless, do you think any bad repercussions would occur from that? I don't know, like maybe the platform as a whole going the way of the BlackBerry? What would stop Samsung from bringing Tizen to the states? What could outweigh that?

RZA Encryption posted:

You know all those things apple does better? Google could start doing them that way, too.

I know just what you mean. Apple's hardware adoption rate dwarfs Androids, always has, and for the foreseeable future, always will. Eliminating the OEM's and pursuing a walled garden approach to everything would surely make Google competitive, it should just do that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

TraderStav posted:

Anyone here replace the back on the Sony Z3 Compact (or Z3 proper)? My suddenly got a crack and am looking to swap it out. I'm concerned about losing waterproofing (and worse, not knowing that I did) while doing so. There is one on Amazon but only one 5 star review so not sure what the quality of the replacement is like.

Can't help as far as replacement parts go, but you can check to see if it's still pressurized yourself, assuming you have the back replaced. Dial *#*#SERVICE#*#*, then go to service tests, then the pressure test. If the number goes up when you pinch the back and screen, you're golden.