Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is this where I can ask for grip tape application advice?

Apply it to your cardboard cutout first as a test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

The Merkinman posted:

I wish I worked on more than just one website, otherwise I'd put this code code on every page, always in different colors, just for r0ck0

Its too bad tabs merged with apps just ends up with me having 16 tabs open and none of them ever closing cause that's pretty neat.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Hace posted:

Maybe it's just me, but a phone with a life expectancy of only 2 years seems pretty short!

The phone is fine; their batteries however...

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

hooah posted:

It's not that physical keyboards/buttons are hated, rather that they're unnecessary anymore.

I got rid of my Droid 3 when I realized that swiftkey was better faster and easier to use than sliding it out every time I needed to type something. Anything that an onscreen keyboard would be inappropriate for, a physical phone keyboard is also going to be inappropriate for.

Although I'd buy the poo poo out of an updated Blackberry pearl with a touchscreen and its keyboard.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

bull3964 posted:

More info confirming that Verizon's Nexus 6 will launch on the 12th along with 5.1.

http://phandroid.com/2015/03/08/verizon-nexus-6-pricing-availability-leak/

Time to start :f5: the system image page.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

5.1 feels better on my N5,but that may just be confirmation bias. I didn't get redraws for a couple days after a reboot, should know if it's really as good as it feels now by then.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have not been keeping up on 5.1 or other information so I apologize if this question is stupid in advance, but is there any chance 5.1 will allow us to disable encryption on the N6?

Maybe? It's not a requirement for other OEMs now but Google might still want it on the flagship. Don't think they've said one way or the other.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

So 5.1 is way better on my Nexus 7 2012 than 5.0.2 ever thought of being. Not quite as good as when it shipped but great for a 3 year old device.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

nerve posted:

but my Diztronic is everything i want in a case for a quarter the price

You gotta respect anything made by DEVILcase.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Only took them 4 months. This has been my only disappointment with the Z3 Compact, it's a great device. Anyone got any idea how long Vodafone UK take to push Android updates in general?

if the Z4 has Qi charging, I'm gonna be all over that.

Started seeing redraws on my N5 on 5.1 today. Clean flashed it the night it came out. Made it to 135ish hours before I started seeing redraws, which is better than 5.0.1 at least (and it feels much faster otherwise)

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

New Z4 is apparently a 5.1" device with 1080p and a Snapdragon 810. Depending on what the next Nexus turns out to be (I'm mildly optimistic if LG is indeed involved) and whether the 810 is a clusterfuck or not, this'll probably be my next one.

Any word on built in Qi charging? I'm probably going to be making the same choice when the Next nexus (nextus?) is announced.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Played with a S6 & Edge at Best Buy last night. Nice pieces of hardware, still a little too touchwizy for me. What I'm saying is there needs to be a GPE S6.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

hotsauce posted:

Good grief. I guess the youtube video of the guy violently thrashing it on concrete without a case was an early attempt to trick users into getting Samsung'd.

It made the S6/Edge out to indestructible. Of course it hit the internet via a grainy 480p video just as the phone was released (and nobody had one yet).

Now, you gently lay it on a table and it explodes into a million shards of glass. Guess Squaretrade's scary video was true.

Aren't the yields of that curved glass horrible in the first place? I'd imagine that the regular S6 is slightly more durable than the edge.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="444479975"]
But personal dictionaries don't transfer between phones, which means I look like a psycho just typing curses into my phone for a half hour every timer I get a new device or factory reset it (not often, but I have had to do it twice in the past 3 months).

This is why I use swiftkey, uploads to the cloud. Keeps things synced between phone and tablet as well.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

The Tylt Vu is just so good man, it's the best phone accessory by far. I could never buy a phone without Qi now, like LastInLine said. It's the ultimate convenience.

Qi charging is the first thing that meets that "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" thing. I just set my phone down and it gets power.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

I feel like I'm the only person who's never had any problems with Android drivers on Windows.

I never have, and I got things working so long ago that if I had to make any changes I don't know what I'd have to do.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Captain Yossarian posted:

I'm not really sure why cricket would be bad? Maybe he will weigh in

If AT&T is fine in your area then Cricket will be as well. You get capped on speeds, but that's not the restriction it might seem.

They did have some issues with their proxy a few months ago, but those are resolved and they didn't affect everyone (never affected me.)

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

BoyBlunder posted:

Why would people bring their expensive cell phones into pools? Especially a Samsung device.

Because one of their selling points is that they're capable of doing just that?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

The Leck posted:

How does the new Moto G compare to the Nexus 5? They seem to be about the same price, and I need to replace a semi-broken Nexus 4. It seems like these are my main two options in roughly the same size range.

Nexus 5 has a 1080p screen vs. the 720p in the G. G has a bigger battery and newer SoC and is water resistant.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Isn't it supposed to be running stock Android too?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

IuniusBrutus posted:

If they make a Blackberry Classic-esque phone running stock Android I'll buy it so fast heads will loving spin.

I might give the Venice a try, but I am extremely skeptical of its durability, and strongly suspect that the first tumble it'll take (case or not) that loving keyboard is going to break.

I still say that despite its problems and small screen my old blackberry pearl was the best phone I've ever owned. I would love something similar now.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

The rear end Stooge posted:

please tell me this isn't a real thing

Don't you wish:
http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/12/5994877/oneplus-holding-sexist-ladies-first-contest-for-smartphone-invites

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Airborne Viking posted:

I found an article on OnePlus' marketing department, written three months after the incident. It's basically them sucking themselves off about how much work they get done with so few people.

I have no sympathy. If such a glaring oversight got past one of the most important departments of your company, I can only dream of the software bugs, hardware defects, or quality control issues the rest of your company is having.

(OnePlus Marketing Team)

Pretty sure the one on the right is Jerry, the rear end in a top hat who said this:

:psypop:Go gently caress yourself, Jerry. I hope you and your company burn to the ground.

Given the issues that OnePlus has, I'm not sure its done even after it ships.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Hey, you know that thing Apple did with their music store? We're doing it too!

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

hotsauce posted:

Did they threaten attendees with death if they sneeze? You can hear a pin drop in there.

They're clearly enraptured by the stunning announcements.

Chromecast is showing as unavailable in the google store.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

That ending is probably the most Google thing yet.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Just added a 5x to my cart. Says it leaves the warehouse in 2-3 weeks.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

And https://store.google.com/product/chromecast_2015 for the new chromecast if anyone's interested.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

Sorry, I'm first in the N5x disappoint line for no wireless charging.

Gah, stop reminding me. The N5x was so close to checking off everything I wanted.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Don't know if its because I wiped it, but Marshmallow seems to be running way better than Lollipop did at this point.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

I used to be able to on other phones. Long press and get "Add to home screen."

Go to the page, then it's an option in the menu.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Tunga posted:

Do Cricket allow tethering? It's up to them to enable it, the phone just checks with the current network and does what it is told.

Otherwise I imagine you can work around this with root.

Cricket charges for tethering on certain phones. Bring your own android phones are not included in that, but I've never had problems enabling it on my N5 (although I haven't tried in a while.)

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

So my Nexus 5 decided to stop charging when I put it on both of my tylt vus. Google won't replace it under warranty, I guess that's as good a reason as any to get a 6p.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Didn't hear a click, but it is charging. We'll see how long that lasts.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

hotsauce posted:

Instantly gone.

Edit: nevermind, managed to get one. They are going in and out of stock. Guess Google is testing it's order system to see what loads it can handle?

The different skins are in and out of stock as well; hope you didn't want R2D2!

EDIT: Either their stock goes in and out constantly, or their back end is screwed up. Can reload and get different combinations of color and size available for the 6p and 5x; and half of what they offer just isn't available.

Rap Game Goku fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 11, 2015

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Fat_Cow posted:

So what is the better screen protector for an Android? Plastic or a tempered glass one?

Tempered glass is the superior choice no matter your phone's os.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

The fingerprint unlocking on the 6p is hella fast, but I wonder how long it will take me to break the habit of unlock screen, swipe, input pin.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Ciprian Maricon posted:

My phone sometimes won't connect to LTE unless I turn airplane mode on and off, anyone know what the hell is going on?

I'm on a Nexus 6P

Its a common problem: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=197102

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Whizbang posted:

If it's too slippery just put some grip tape on it.

I got one of these. I like it. Got the smoky one since I just got the plain aluminum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

nimper posted:

(Never mind the fact that the AT&T Nexus 6 only received Marshmallow in the last couple weeks!)

This was just the OTA update, right? They weren't blocking the factory images were they?