Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

LastInLine posted:

Isn't It both not waterproof and the wrong kind of wireless charging?

The wireless charger it comes with is Power Mat, IIRC, but the S6 supports Qi as well.

I just cracked the screen on my N5, and I'm dangerously close to getting the S6 Edge to replace it. All that's holding me back is the memories of owning an S1 Captivate...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Really? I'd hold back for usage reports and full reviews, myself. But people will buy Samsung phones for dumber reasons than that.

Well yeah, I'm not going to buy it blind. I'm just surprised a Samsung device is even on my shortlist.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

I've discovered an S6 with a case can be made to work upright on the Tylt Vu by placing something on the base, so that the phone sits 1 to 2 centimeters higher.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

So my the screen on my S6 Edge just cracked, a splintering pattern starting from where the glass meets the metal rim. What did I do to crack it? Set it down on a table, gently, with a case on. :wtf: :psyboom:

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

The only thing I can think of is it must have already been damaged somehow in my pocket. But that really just raises more questions. I don't keep anything else in that pocket, and I didn't bump in to anything. I was just at the store where I purchased it and of course they don't believe me... Not that I would either if I hadn't seen it happen.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Here's the cracked screen. Kinda looks like a hosed up 16 legged spider. At least the LCD and digitizer appear to be unharmed.

(click for huge)

Also I didn't appreaciate how much better the S6's camera is until I went back to the N5 for this shot.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

A screen replacement for the S6 Edge is at minimum $380(Canadian), and you have to pay for shipping. The repair costs more than getting a new one on contract. :negative:

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

PinnacleOrBust posted:

I accidentally misclicked a bot check, the number of surveys has taken a big dive. Sure, it may be confirmation bias, but I used to have at least one a week and I haven't had one in 2 weeks.

Mine took huge dive after I answered "What are you craving most right now?" with "COCAINE". It was a couple months before I saw another, although that might be because I'm outside the US and never seem to get that many in the first place.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Only the first 2 rows are what you actually see, or can scroll to, on the pull down. The rest on that screenshot are ones you can swap in. You don't see that whole drat page every time you open the quick settings, that's the editing menu.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

The Spookmaster posted:

Is there some way to change that awful light blue color for the notification drop down panel? I just got the Verizon note 3 lollipop update and my eyes are burning.

Changing the theme seems to be the only way to do this.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Have you tried a different cable?

Hughmoris posted:

I had this problem on my Nexus 4 and a new USB cable completely fixed my issue.

Yeah, try a different cable. My Nexus 5 seemed to deform the little clips on the USB connector after a while. I went through 3 cables like this before switching to QI charging.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

isndl posted:

Has anyone noticed their Qi chargers make a faint clicking or chirping sound? Originally noticed it on my Tylt Vu, but I got a second charger the other day and now I'm hearing something from that one as well, though it is distinctly different in tone. Seems to come and go. I'm assuming it's some sort of coil whine?

Yeah I get that from my Tylt Vu when there's no device on it or if the device is fully charged. Just loud enough to wake me up at 3 am or so when my phone finishes charging, so I moved the Tylt to my desk at work where the background noise drowns it out. Luckily the puck QI charger that came with my S6 doesn't make any such noise, just an annoyingly bright LED that's easy enough to cover.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

JayKay posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the Sony XSP-N1BT car head unit? According to various reviews, it's a great concept with poor implementation.

Since I just want something that does regular radio and bluetooth calling/audio, it might be worth it even if my LG G3 wont fit in the dock.

Edit: Yes I realize Android Auto is around the corner.

I have one and it worked great for the first few months, but now the clip that holds the phone down has been increasingly prone to releasing for no apparent reason.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

JayKay posted:

Yeah, I've seen long-use reviews that say the gears that are attached to the bar tend to strip or wear out over time.

What phone are you using with it?

Originally a Nexus 5, but now an S6 Edge. In both cases a Diztronic tpu case was enough to stop the power button from being pressed all the time.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

ilkhan posted:

Anybody else on M want to admit they aren't real happy with the super-sleep/hibernation/whatever low power mode it enforces?

My nexus 5 on the M preview just powered off due to low battery a couple minutes ago, and I hadn't charged the thing since the day after the preview was released. I also hadn't actually used it, apart from checking out the new things for a few minutes, but that's still some great standby time for an android phone.

E: I should point out that it was only connected to wifi since it has no SIM anymore.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

I finally decided to get the cracked screen on my S6 Edge fixed, because it was starting to register random touches. While it's off being repaired I've been using my old N5 for almost a week now, and to be honest I prefer it to the S6 overall. Mostly due to small changes Samsung made to lollipop that annoyed me more and more as time went on. Random example: On stock Lollipop, double-tapping a notification on the lockscreen instantly opens that app. Compared to Touchwiz Lollipop on the S6 where you tap the notification, swipe to unlock, then wait a few seconds for the app to launch. Why would Samsung remove the double-tap to open? Touchwiz is a lot better than it used to be, but it's still full of seemingly pointless and detracting changes like that. To be fair though, I probably wouldn't care so much if I wasn't so familiar with stock android.

The only thing I really miss from the S6 is the battery life, and maybe the screen a bit. I think I might just sell the repaired S6 and wait to see what the new Motos and Nexus end up like. You tried to warn me Android thread, but I ignored you and got myself Samsunged.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

First the screen on my S6 edge cracks for no apparent reason, then Samsung reps go back and forth on whether or not the 90 day replacement policy exists and eventually decide I have to pay for repairs, I had to talk to a call centre manager before they would arrange for me to ship it to a repair centre instead of me driving 2 hours to the nearest samsung store, and after all that it comes back with a non functioning headphone port. There's no lint or anything in it, I've tried different headphones, and even a factory reset. The only thing left to try is reflashing the stock rom, but somehow I doubt that will help.

I think I'm officially done with Samsung phones. The hardware is nice but the software and support have been pretty frustrating.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

LastInLine posted:

Yeah the hardware sounds great except for the giant paragraph you wrote talking about the litany of hardware problems you've had.

Well it was great in the week before the screen cracked :v:

For the vast majority of S6 owners that won't have a freak manufacturing defect or have their phone damaged by a repair centre, the hardware will continue to be good. At least I hope so for their sake.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

amenenema posted:

I know one reason I want a true silent mode - I have a smartwatch (Garmin Vivoactive) and it vibrates for notifications. I have no way of having ONLY the watch vibrate. So for almost a year now I've had my phone buzz immediately followed by my wrist buzzing. It's Pavlovian in a way...

No notifications doesn't work in this scenario because they don't get pushed to the watch. Will Marshmallow fix this?

Android Wear has an option for this on the phone app, but it doesn't look like that smartwatch uses Android Wear. Does the Garmin companion app not have a similar feature?

I don't see a way to do this built in to M, but I'm still on preview 3.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

E: derp, nvm.

Squatch Ambassador fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 22, 2015

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

My phone says "Charging Rapidly" when I have it plugged into my car via an eBay USB-A to USB-C cable. The car charger is rated at 2.4 amps. What is the minimum spec for "Charging Rapidly?"

This guy mentions that some of the cables are using the wrong resistors, potentially drawing more current than the charger can supply. Shouldn't the cables be dumb in that regard? I mean a few years ago people were shorting the pins on their cables/chargers to double the amp throughput, but phones are a lot smarter now. But ultimately, isn't the charger only going to be able to provide as much power as the charger can provide?

I looked through some of his reviews and replies, and it seems like they're using resistors meant for type-c on the type-a end. The cables should have more resistance on the type-a end since it's not designed to carry that much power, or something to that effect.

quote:

Using your bad USB cable, I have personally seen a high quality Anker charger in a brown out cycle continuously until I unplugged your cable and my Type C device charging from it.

By selling a cable that has a Type-A plug on one side but a resistor that should only be used when there is pure Type-C charging path (ie, C-C cable to a C port), you risk damaging people's older hardware with your out-of-spec cable.

Please fix your cables. Add a 56K ohm pullup instead of what you have now, and STOP claiming you can charge Nexus phones as fast as a C-C cable to the OEM charger.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

I requested a return of the out of spec Orzly USB 2 A-C cables, and the Amazon reseller (G-Hub Canada) responded with this:

quote:

So you are also aware, Orzly were one of the first companies to launch type c cables and as a result their version 1 cables were all USB 2.0. They were actually based around the specifications of the OnePlus cable and at the time they had no way of knowing that even the OnePlus cable would not have met USB standards.

However being that Type-c is about faster charging, Orzly have been working hard over the last few months to bring out a USB 3.0 cable to support this faster charging feature. And although the official launch date of their version 2 cable is November 14th, I would be happy to send you a pack of 4 of these out today but in black only, ahead of launch, at no extra cost as a gesture of goodwill. You can rest assured that the USB 3.0 cable is fully compatible with ALL type c devices, not just smartphones.

So apparently we can blame OnePlus for all these out of spec cables. I don't think anyone has tested the new USB 3 cable to see if it has the same problem, but I'm tempted to take them up on the offer.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

Re: 6P cases I have the Spigen Neo Hybrid EX with the gunmetal bumper and it looks awesome

Confirming this.

The official 6p case from Google is also pretty nice, but the USB cutout is too small for many 3rd party USB-C cables.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Skarsnik posted:

I'm so sad mine is sitting unused now

Google :argh:

Mine sits on my desk at work and only gets used when I forget to charge my Moto 360 overnight.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

We don't have Android Pay in Canada yet, even though I'm seeing more and more terminals with the android pay icon. I have a buddy who uses the RBC contactless payment app all the time, according to him it's only inconvenient when the cashier doesn't understand what you're doing and accuses you of not paying and/or hacking their terminal.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

We figured out what was going on.

The ZTE Grand Max 2 apparently allows ads and spam in the default keyboard that ZTE put on. On top of that FAB that popped up when he was in Gmail, YouTube, and using Chrome, it also pushed ads to his notification bar.

There's no way to uninstall the keyboard, but you can disable it and put on Gboard, which is what he did.

Welcome to the world of importing cheap smartphones. Instead of wasting time making security updates they rush to beat malware devs at their own game.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

:laffo:

quote:

The notification was triggered by the net.oneplus.push system app which was added with a recent system update. The app cannot be disabled and notifications cannot be turned off. The notification also can't be simply swiped away. You have to expand the notification and tap on the "dismiss" button to get rid of it.
Yes, this was the first instance of OnePlus using this system. But the UX is just annoying, with no way to opt out. We can only hope that they don't abuse the system and push ads for every new OP5 color variant, random deals or accessories.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

On Monday I contacted Google and ordered a warranty replacement for my 6P because of battery issues. I hope the replacement gets here soon because poo poo like this started happening yesterday:

After randomly rebooting it the battery indicator was stuck at 17%, and it wouldn't charge at all until I shut it down. Now it will only charge when plugged into a PC using an A-C cable, or when turned off and plugged in to a USB C AC adapter.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

I'd rather they just remove the button.

Staged rollouts exist for a reason.

Or maybe just hide it under developer options?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

it's not even on the Canadian store yet you loving yanks

I just ordered it by using a US VPN and setting the store to Canada. They're charging ~$100 over the exchange rate...

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

I hope mine isn't shipped by FedEx (western Canada). My local FedEx always marks packages as delivered 1—2 days before they actually deliver them, so I don't get a notification when they actually leave a package at my doorstep.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

EdEddnEddy posted:

For those that Pre-Ordered a P2 and got the Home Mini offer, how long was it from getting the phone till your offer arrived to order the Free Mini?

My Pixel 2 arrived on Oct 24, and the Mini offer came on Nov 20. So about 4 weeks.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

ROJO posted:

Does anyone have experience with the cloth cases from Google? I love the cloth case on my 2017 Nexus 7 and would definitely go that route again if they quality. I care more about extra grip than I do drop protection.

I really like mine. The only problem I have with the case is that the power button is glued on, and one of my Cockatiels ripped mine off and lost it.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

It might just be a bad display model. My launch Pixel 2 doesn't have any noticeable colour shift until extreme angles. The included USB-C > 3.5mm adapter is starting to cut out regularly while I'm walking though.

Squatch Ambassador fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 12, 2018

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Yeah the camera is great. I tend to have shaky hands and I can regularly get clear shots. It's a huge improvement from the 6P's camera.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

If you get a Fairphone, Nexus 5, or OnePlus One you can use Ubuntu Touch instead of Android. Because apparently that's a thing that's still being worked on, albeit by "Community Developers". I'm almost curious enough to dig up my N5 and see how far it's come.

E:
From the apps page. I wonder if they're aware

Squatch Ambassador fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 16, 2018

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

axeil posted:

Why is this something people are upset about?

Smaller numbers = bad Larger numbers = good. They should have made it 36:18 instead :colbert:

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

When you order one they send you a code to download the remaining 1GB :v:

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

If you're on a pixel 2 you might want to hold off for now. The update stalled for me during the reboot and it eventually rebooted into recovery with a message that my data is corrupt.

E: This was updating from beta 3. The comments in that article have some other Pixel 2 owners with the same issue. Works fine after a factory reset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Is there a way to turn off the weather from showing on the lockscreen in Android 10? I've got that bug where it always shows the temp in Fahrenheit when you have it set to Celsius, and I've pretty much given up on trying to fix it. I'd rather turn off the weather part entirely and just use a third party notification.