Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
All reports are that the m9's 20mp camera is worse than the rear camera on the m8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
I think the S6/S6 Edge look ok. Not as good as the HTCs (even with their recycled designs) but still reasonable. The features in the S6 sound pretty good too but considering its from Samsung, there's a good chance everything is just half-arsed in its actual implementation.

As for HTC, all they really needed was a solid improvement on the camera and (for me personally) a good fingerprint reader.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Initial review of the M9 from Anandtech: http://anandtech.com/show/9102/the-htc-one-m9-review-part-1

Not looking very good for HTC.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Prescription Combs posted:

If it were an iPhone it would be a raving review for such an incremental upgrade :jerkbag:

Except that the review pretty concludes that the M9's gone backwards in many areas?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Variable_H posted:

So apparently with the M9 being not good/somewhat worse than the M8, what is the suggested go-to android phone available from t-mobile? I like my G3, but the cracks it's formed in it's bezels are becoming increasingly worrying, and both LG and T-Mobile won't acknowledge its a known issue despite it apparently being kind of widespread.

Dare I suggest wait for the Samsungs?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
HTC could've kept the same processor and just updated the stuff that people actually want: better camera, sleeker design, better battery life, a touch based finger print scanner. Instead, it looks like they spent all their time trying to get the 810 under control.

Looks like I'm getting a Samsung.

Civil posted:

No surprise that LG is considering staying away from the Snapdragon 810. What a disaster.

I wouldn't be very confident on the 808 either. It has 2 less cores than the 810 but at the end of the day, it's still a rushed effort to get a 64bit chip into the market based on an ARM reference design rather than the custom Krait cores that were used on previous Snapdragons.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

If only the market could be used in the emulated environment. I actually only need to buy the app, download it, and get the APK. I need to decompile it.

Use Bluestacks?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Norns posted:

I've had my S6 Edge just under a week. No complaints. The screen is gorgeous, it's super quick and the bloatware wasn't crazy agressive out of the box.

Really happy with my purchase.

How are the sides of the screen for normal usage?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Mr. Funktastic posted:

S6 owners, please tell me that the S6 isn't nearly this bad with TouchWiz and lovely bloatware.

Think this is carrier dependent.

On my Australian carrier S6, pretty much all the bloat can be uninstalled.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Is there a way to restore data for singular apps on a non-rooted phone?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

thebushcommander posted:

I always turn the screen off with the power button, but that doesn't lock the phone like I am talking about. It still doesn't ask for the fingerprint for 5 minutes.

Under Secure lock settings, the first option is "lock automatically" and you can set it to a range of options.

Skeezy posted:

Okay so my question is, how do I check which app is pulling in GPS? I keep getting a notification on my S6 about "location set by GPS" I've never had this happen on my N5 and I don't have any different apps from my norm. So I assume some Touchwiz thing is the culprit. How do I figure it out?

Under Privacy and safety > Locations, is Locating method set to use GPS as well?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Skeezy posted:

It's set to GPS, WiFi, and Mobile by default.

Mine was set to Wi-Fi and mobile only. When I turned on GPS as well, I kept on getting the location set by GPS toast.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
G4 is reported to be using the 808, a cut down version of the 810.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

ruby idiot railed posted:

e: quick survey

Anyone who's on the current Google Play Services (7.3.29-ish) doesn't matter what phone ... has your "Ok Google" detection options gone away?

Are you on a S6?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

myron cope posted:

In that touchwiz screenshot, why is there a "power saver" in one part of the drop down and then right below it a "u. power saver"? "Ultra" power saver? Does it make the phone even less usable?

Ultra powersaver turns your screen to greyscale and limits the apps available. It's for when you just really need to save power but still be in contact.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Guillermus posted:

That's way too spergy even for this thread. What bothers me is that Qualcomm 4G sticker when the S6 uses an Exynos one, do I miss something there?

Some versions of the s6 use a qualcomm radio.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Or apple picks its own standard just because.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Rapner posted:

s6 edge or note edge people, do you regret your purchase at all?

My contract is up so I'm upgrading for free today, and I'm looking at these two seeing I can't find any stock android phones with expandable memory available from my carrier. (Telstra)

You could just get the S6 or iPhone 6 on contract then sell it on ebay and use that cash to buy your preferred phone.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

b0nes posted:

The thing I don't like about removable storage is that Android doesn't automatically transfer programs into the removable storage, you have to do it manually and even then not all of the data transfers. I had a 16GB S5 for a while, with a 64GB MicroSD card in it. Phone became full within a few weeks, even when transferring all the programs I could to the SD card. So I wont buy any phones with atleast 32 to 64gb of storage.

Because the removable storage is less reliable and much slower than the internal storage.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yup, don't know why Google hasn't made that an ~*official android*~ thing yet. Multi-window owns on my Samsung tab.

Also considering how most google apps (e.g. gmail) support this on Samsung devices.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

RZA Encryption posted:

3 ways to access the same feature on 3 phones from the same company. Incredible.

And you kept giving this company money.

Works fine on my S6: An icon appears on the cards of all multiwindow compatible apps in the multitasking card view or hold down multitasking in a supported app and it goes into multiwindow mode.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Apparently the new Motos are missing a gyroscopic sensor (no photosphere, cardboard, etc).

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

BottleKnight posted:

It's honestly not that big of a deal to me, I'm just wondering. Also is Samsung known to ever fix stuff over the course of a phone's life or is this definitely staying forever?

Their memory management on 5.1 for the S6 was better than 5.0.1 so I guess?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Glass protectors can protect against fairly minor impacts that would normally shatter the screen proper.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Dedicated Chromecast remote?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Is Smart Network Switch on? It automatically switches to data if the wifi connection is poo poo.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
drat it, the 5x is bigger than my S6.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Decius posted:

Same as how the super-image chip made it impossible to use OIS or why they charge about 100 € more in Europe than USD in € + 20 % VAT would be, even beating Apple in the overcharge game.

The markups on the phones this time around is shocking.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/09/30/prices-nexus-5x-nexus-6p-across-globe/

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

BurritoJustice posted:

The bands in America are all different though (at least compared to Australia), and there are two different models of phone for America and international, so it would be suboptimal. But yeah, way cheaper. I nearly did that last year with the Nexus 6 (when the dollar was close to parity and it was still a thousand dollar phone). I had someone in this thread offer to do it actually.

It's only LTE Band 28 which is handy to have but not essential.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

hooah posted:

My aunt has an iPhone on AT&T, and twice in the past month she's texted me, but it goes to my email as [her number]@att.com. Why does this happen?

Might be some MMS related thing?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

kensei posted:

I have a Droid Turbo and am thinking about the S7, I really want the fingerprint unlock and the Samsung Pay. Someone talk me out of pre-ordering one of these.

You're going to wait loving forever for updates and there will be some weird performance issue that's not very perceptible until 6 months in and someone points it out and then it's holy gently caress, why are you so incompetent at programming software?

Also fingerprint unlock and Android Pay will become common place in 2016 anyway.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Nifty posted:

Okay I consider myself a pretty self sufficient and tech savvy guy, so for the life of me why can't I figure out how to have my S7's screen turn on when I get a notification.

This isn't a standard Android feature - it's app specific (. E.g. Textra, an alternative SMS program has the ability to turn the screen on if a SMS is received) or use a general notification app to do the same thing (Lightflow).

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Whats the benefit of Google Assistant over what we currently have on Android today?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

It costs $649

Well it costs $1079 here.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Watch Google bring SMS support to Allo, but on the PixeliOS only

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Tbh, the prompt updates that the Pixel should get means that I'm still likely to get one - its just that the price and other set of features turn the phone from a "must buy" to a "probably buy".

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
As long as performance is reasonable but they can support the silicon for as long as they want, it should be ok.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Taffer posted:

Easier said than done. Even Intel has failed to break into the mobile market in any big way and processors are practically all they do.

Isn't that because they're trying to do it via x86 rather than ARM?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Looks to be a budget phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Reviews for the Pixel are out at all the usual places. Nothing too surprising but no shows stoppers - the best Android phone if you're willing to pony up the cash.