Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

tekz posted:

I got a Sony Xperia recently and I really dislike the UI. Is there a way to get stock android on to the phone?

Perhaps check this out? http://developer.sonymobile.com/knowledge-base/open-source/open-devices/list-of-devices-and-resources/

Edit: Eh I guess they don't have images there.

Magog fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Dec 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
So I figured out the price gap between the nexus 5 and the nexus 6, the nexus 6' included Sim card slot key is metal not plastic :downs: . Also despite all google/motorola's efforts I finally got one.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
Despite the issues I wouldn't go back. It's not as bad for me as it is for some, most of my initial issues I think I've sorted.

My Supcase Unicorn Beetle cases for my nexus 6 & 9 arrived today. Hah even now I don't feel like my nexus 6 is too big :shrug:. Anyway they seem pretty good for a tough case. It's definitely awesome to have matching cases for both nexus.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
Well looks like my Nexus 6 came with a dodgy rear camera module, real bad artifacts to dead about 2-3 seconds after turning it on, if it turns on. I noticed some artifacts about 2 weeks ago in 1-2 pictures but thought maybe it was a HDR mess up until now. Since it took a month for this to culminate Motorola wants me to send it for repair. :smithicide:

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

bull3964 posted:

It also takes about 20 minutes to wipe which it really shouldn't do.

Uh yeah it definitely shouldn't be taking your nexus 9 20 minutes to wipe cache.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

SlayVus posted:

I bought a Huawei phone for use with TracFone and it poo poo the bed after like 3 weeks. The screen registered phantom touches, wouldn't register actual touches, would register touches in different areas on the screen. This was apparently a common problem across this model.

Me too except it was barely acceptable for about a year. I went looking for a cheap android phone lately and all the local stores had were like $100 or near to it, I got that huawei for $50 about 5 years ago

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
Eh it's more like windows 98 before 98SE because 5.1 is gonna fix everything right? ...right? :ohdear:

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
I don't use it but I can tell you guys my nexus 6 does let me add another user in addition to guest, I remember there was supposed to be a difference on phone/tablet as well so it's probably some other aspect.

nerve posted:

Any other Nexus 6 dudes find taking a screenshot to be insanely tedious? Every time I do it the volume float thing pops up. I seriously just tried 10 times in a row and didn't get it.

You're hitting volume down, right? You just made me try a few dozen with various hand positions and had greater than 80% success.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

Vanilla Android had some Safe Mode version and you could restart into that.

FYI you still can, you need to long press on the power off option and it'll bring up a prompt.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
I like pushbullet channels when they exist for something I use. So right now mostly humble bundle and the custom ROM on my Nexus 6 which is handy.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Can't you add any RSS feed, as well? If not, that feature seems useful.

Yes you can which is awesome. I don't use most RSS feeds on pushbullet though because I prefer to check in when I want rather than getting notifications for them.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
I wish my phone was ethereal. :sigh:

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

I guess I'll just change the MX entries on my domain and hope that the Google Apps accounts won't get shutdown for inactivity or some poo poo like that (I can see Google go "what, no mails or even spam the last six months? THIS CANNOT STAND!").

IDK if Google Apps accounts are different for some reason but I've had forgotten gmail accounts that I rediscovered after years.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

uPen posted:

The difference is they cost money. I have no idea what google would do to purchases you've made when you stop paying for Apps (it's still a dumb name.) Maybe they'll downgrade you to a regular non-gmail google account?

Yeah, I knew it cost money, I forgot they stopped free Google Apps accounts back in 2012 though, I figured you'd just downgrade to that, now who knows?

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Battery life looks like it might be underwhelming along with apparently a subpar camera, I do think it's cool that it's a relatively ethically made phone though.

My assessment also. The rest of it will be a serviceable if middling device.

The question I guess is if the ethos of the phone is worth the value difference of €530 for this phone which will (hopefully) begin shipping in November in comparison to the Moto X 2014
which at least in my country is ~€200 less right now and with slightly better specs (same processor, RAM).

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Daily Forecast posted:

Works just fine. Download a third party app, do the gesture, and it pops up that "Just Once" "Always" thing.

edit: I think you could also disable the stock camera app to force it?

And if this isn't bringing up that selection choice go to your stock camera app in app settings and try clear defaults.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

LastInLine posted:

No one's talking about how ugly the Huawei N6 is going to be and that it's going to be an 810?

I think if I was interested in a gargantuan Nexus I'd prefer the current Nexus 6.

e: I'm not a fan of power and volume buttons being on the same side like the current N6 but this one apparently is the same. :(

The current Nexus 6 is great.

That thing is hosed up. That can't be what they're going with.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Whizbang posted:

Google Store Support is where they put employees from projects Google gave up. You're getting refunds from a bunch of shellshocked Wave and Reader devs.

If that were actually the case the manpower would probably make up for it. :downs:

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

comcor posted:

I don't think I've gotten a pair of headphones with a Nexus phone since the Galaxy Nexus. None with the 4, 5, or 6. Though I did get a pair from Project Fi.

My Nexus 6 came with some.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

wooger posted:

I'm now on Marshmallow on my Nexus 5, and I can confirm:

A
The "swipe up from home" shortcut gesture is completely absent, along with all associated configurability - Other apps could be set to default for that action, e.g. Firefox search, DuckDuckGo search.

The long press alternative seems a massive step backwards, and I hate the Google search app as it doesn't focus the search box and bring up the keyboard when triggered.

This may be a way of punishing people who don't use Google Now.

I suppose if you are just doing a normal search it's now marginally faster to go to the search bar by pressing the overview button rather than long press home.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

BottleKnight posted:

Please, for the love of god, nobody buy a Blackberry Priv.

I'll buy one for my mother once RIM determine it's a failure and firesale it.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

RVProfootballer posted:

Why would you do that to her?

Because it's 2015 and she still thinks she needs buttons.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
I just received my 3rd gen Moto G (XT1550) I bought on black Friday to use as my work/backup phone. drat nice little brother to my N6, really impressed with what I got for $195.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
FML it's been 7 weeks since I sent my Nexus 6 for repair, well more like 4 weeks since I had to chase the courier and make multiple calls to Motorola and Toll to get the drat thing picked up in the first place. Now it's been three weeks since I accepted the repair quote and nothing has happened and Motorola don't know what's up, so I hope their query gets this thing loving done. I sent it in a year ago and it took a week, never mind that was warranty and now I'm paying for this poo poo.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Does anyone ever choose not to transfer everything to a new phone? My contacts and photos are synced to gmail, and I don't really need anything else. I think half the fun of a new phone is getting new apps and organizing stuff. Is it just me?

Hell yes, I mean half the time in the past it was because it would fail to properly restore and just leave me with stock anyway but I never bother to get rid of apps once they're on the drat phone so it's the best strategy for me.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
Ironically this is the first time I've gotten a Google device without waiting ages at release. Even if they did get stuck in customs for 2 days in Australia because goog didn't value them correctly.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

After using my Pixel XL for a couple weeks now, it's continuing to astound me with well, that fact it just works. It works so well, it's so smooth and fast, doesn't skip a beat swapping around apps and doing literally everything. And the camera is so good. Recent flagships like the Note 7 (explosions notwithstanding) don't hold a candle to this experience, it's such a refresher. I couldn't recommend it more.

Also it has great battery life!

Trip report: I've actually impressed my girlfriend a couple of times now with Google assistant's responses versus never really impressing her with Google Now commands.

Yeah the phone is awesome. I just wish it wasn't like two steps forward one step back though. I do miss stereo speakers, even if they aren't front facing and water resistance and Qi charging because I have a drat Tylt Vu to do nothing with now.

But it's still great.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
You'd think after almost every Nexus model had issues with loose buttons they'd have worked to get it right for their new premium phone. That said mine like most is nice and clicky this time round, hallelujah.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

If any of you don't want your Daydream headset I'm interested....

Same. My Pixel deserves a daydream too Google. :(

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
All signs point to... Maybe? :shrug:

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
I literally worry the clicking might disturb my partner if I need to change volume when listening while going to sleep.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Naw it's good...My Pixel is just SO loving CLICKY GUYS :byodood:

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Mister Macys posted:

Watch them be replaced with a touch strip and haptic feedback. :xd:

God damnit don't you even... I don't need anything else to make my phone screen more likely to turn on in my pocket.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

LastInLine posted:

e: vvv Well yeah, there's nothing to be done there.

Sever.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
So Samsung finally stopped being stupid and followed the design of the Galaxy Nexus they made 6 years ago? Well I guess that literally is more than I expected from them. :v:

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

water resistance would be nice but I'd really love hardware OIS especially on a compact model. How much of the Pixel's experience comes from things that are going to be walled off from everyone else for a while?

I won't say it's impossible but the Nexus 6 had hardware OIS and Google made such a big deal about the Pixels software OIS I don't see them ditching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Did u see the specs???

I saw the specs that OnePlus are assholes that don't include the network bands I use. gently caress them.