Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I'm going to be replacing my Nexus 5 soon and while the 5x was the obvious choice for a while I realized sense I was buying the phone outright I could get a moto x pure for around the same price. Besides update frequency/consistency is there any real reason I shouldn't get an x pure? Only real reason I thought of was dev stuff as I've been trying to teach myself how to write android apps but since I'm buying my next phone outright I'll always have my nexus 5 to gently caress around with.

I've been interested in the moto x series since they came out because of all the customization you can do designing it but hadn't been in the market for a new phone until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Thermopyle posted:

Camera is better on the 5x I think.
Not super big into cameras, honestly. The pictures I've seen from the pure look decent enough which is fine for me. I've never thought the pictures on my 5 looked particularly bad for reference, and I remember reading it wasn't supposed to be particularly great either. Obviously if like it were complete garbage or something I'd reconsider but the photos in the verge review don't look too terrible, certainly not worse than what I could take with my nexus 5 right now.

Yeah, I saw that. I used to have a note 2 and got my nexus 5 because of a combination of being fed up with samsung and the phone being too big, so I'm a bit wary about going back to a phone that big again even though the software side will at least be solid. I've been keeping an eye out to handle a pure any time I go to a store that carries phones but haven't seen one or a 5x to hold and get a feel for yet. I figure next time I'm at target or something I'll look at one of the notes to get a feel for holding gigantic phones and if I don't hate it just take the plunge. I'm 6'8'' so I could totally handle a huge phone if I needed to.

Worst comes to worst, I'll always have my nexus 5 as a backup and can just return/sell it. There's not anything particularly wrong with my 5, just think it's around time for an upgrade.

Super Dude posted:

How important is a fingerprint scanner for you?
There isn't one on my current phone so not much! It'd be neat to have but I don't think I'd miss it.

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 16, 2015

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

At the Target I go to it's obnoxiously longer. I'm using a debit card version of their redcard but it's still
- put card in, wait five seconds
- decline cash back, wait a few seconds
- type in pin, wait 10 seconds
- push yes asking if I'm sure I actually want to pay for everything with the card, wait another five seconds or so
- take card out within a second and a half of the screen displaying to remove my card because if you don't do it that fast the reader immediately starts loudly buzzing at you to do so

And if I'm spending more than like $20 I can add in another five seconds or so while it decides I have to sign. It's dumb, I hate it, as far as I can tell other customers paying with chip/pin hate it, and the cashiers don't like it any more because if I had to guess taking an extra 20 seconds per customer adds up over the day.

Captain Yossarian posted:

So much credit card chat :captainpop:

I guess it's just one of those things where you don't realize other people have a better/shittier time than you because you don't know any better.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

RichterIX posted:

Did Google do something to Google Keyboard to turn gesture typing into a giant piece of poo poo? I never had any trouble before the most recent update.

I lost my original response, going to imgur to upload this kicked the awful app out of memory, but yeah.

There's other weird poo poo too, like a dedicated num row above the keyboard but only on some fields for some reason, or how they added in being able to delete suggestions but took out swiping up to expand them.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

That's probably it. I wish it were an option I could turn off, but it comes up rarely enough that I can't bring myself to care too much about it.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Skeezy posted:

An Android has No Name.

If you see an android in the street, root it

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Considering the size of phone OSs nowadays, how much free space could even be left for anything with only 8 GB of storage? Assuming it's even possible, wouldn't apps immediately start complaining about not having enough free space as soon as you began doing, well, anything?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

A quick google turns up a few companies that've failed to comply with the cpsc and are sued for anywhere between 4-15 million, or a slap on the wrist to Samsung. I don't think they're going to go after Samsung for a week's notice, given that they had unofficially "recalled" their product beforehand (while the product was still being sold in stores in Asia apparently, some of which were being imported to the US by weirdos on XDA apparently), but it's still weird that such a large company had a goof on that scale with a product of theirs that could literally injure people or damage property.

I can understand why people buy Samsungs even though I wouldn't, but if people are reporting phones exploding or causing fires I'd expect maybe two to three days tops to verify the problem internally before issuing a recall through the appropriate channels for each country they sell in. Seven days of not knowing whether your $900 device might destroy your home seems unacceptable no matter what side of the argument you're on. A "voluntary" recall doesn't really cut it because as seen in this thread even, people are willing to play the odds given the choice.

Even if I'm completely wrong here, what it looks like is Samsung tried to shove it under the rug with a voluntary recall, then when that didn't work went ahead and did what they should have done in the first place. Even if it just took that long for the paperwork to go through they could have at least made that information known for a product that had an extremely small chance to injure people. I think Samsung's marketing is strong enough that this won't hurt them too much in the long run, but it still seems handled kind of badly.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Tsyni posted:

MXP still the greatest phone.

My dream phone is basically just my mxp but with better memory management and a bit better battery life, but charging like 30% in fifteen minutes makes the second one way more tolerable.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

A bunch of Moto devices got confirmed to get Nougat eventually.

http://motorola-blog.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/n-is-for-nougat-android-70-is-coming-to.html

~coming soon™~

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Endless Mike posted:

Because Motorola has a great history of fulfilling their update promises!

The MXP is the only Moto phone I've owned, are they notorious for that or something? The only thing that comes to mind about Motorola and updates is that brief golden age with the moto x where they got super competent for a few months.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Three Olives posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/5/1..._source=twitter

Another Galaxy Note 7 just went up in flames. A replacement. Powered off. On an airplane.

Samsung is so hosed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GhODn4FRoE

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Yeah I just downloaded games because I was in high school and piracy was "cool", that sounds like way too much work.

Also whatever estimate there is for the psp library is going to be highly variable because you had ISOs which is what games normally came as well as CSOs, which was basically the same thing but only took up 2/3rds of the space or so. I spent a lot of time with my old psp, they're great little emulation boxes.

Uh, I mean

Android, lol

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Dear Dave Google my name is CLAM DOWN and Canada not getting the pixel XL is basically phone rape

I mean that's not the first analogy I'd think of but okay

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

calandryll posted:

My QuickCharger for my Moto X Pure has decided to only charge when the wire is at a certain angle. Looks like it got damaged on my last trip. Suggestions on replacement chargers?

I had the exact same problem, and unfortunately it's not going to get better. It'll start being able to charge at worse and worse angles until it won't connect at all unless you're holding it in at like 30 degrees.

Motorola is sold out of the chargers on their site, but you can get the quick charger off of Amazon for half the cost anyway. Just had to do the same myself a couple weeks back, it works great.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

hooah posted:

Another quick question: is there a way to get to Google Now if you don't use the Pixel launcher or Google launcher?

I use the Google launcher, but last time this came up I remember people saying other launchers might let you access it via a shortcut swipe or something along those lines. Also if you're rooted, I believe Nova will let you mimic the Google launcher's "swipe right from the leftmost screen to access Google Now".

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

TollTheHounds posted:

Where did I say I wanted to play a "phone game" on a PC? I want to continue playing a game on my phone, that is already running at 1080p+ ( depending on your phone ) on a large 55"+ TV that is running also at 1080p+. So it will look the same only bigger and I can sit on my couch to do it. Why exactly is that a use case that does not and will never exist? That's literally the point of the Nintendo Switch.

So...you want to be able to throw your phone in a dock while you hop on the couch and keep playing clash of clans or whatever, except with a controller or mouse and keyboard? Or are you saying you want full versions of console games on your phone a la the Switch, except on a device as small as a phone?

Either way, you're sticking something everyone uses all the time in an immobile dock. What happens when someone calls you or you get a text? What happens when you get a notification you want to check out?

I get what you mean and it's not like the concept couldn't work or I don't like it in theory but it's like some kind of homercar Padfone.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

bull3964 posted:

Most people throw their phone in a case and never touch the buttons directly. There has to be a certain allowance for manufacturing variances. I can imagine a complaint if the button moved to the point where it could jam sideways in the spot, a little wiggle though is acceptable.

These are mass manufactured devices, they can't start tossing out units due to a few mm wiggle in a button nor is this phone unique. Do a search on iPhone home button loose to see similar results.

It's like when people returned kindles over and over again because the light spreader wasn't PERFECTLY uniform. Perfect is the anomaly in most devices and abusing return policies over and over makes things worse for everyone.

I've seen posts where people have exchanged the same TV 6 times. At some point you need to either accept the flaws of the thing you purchased or move on. Hunting for the unicorn is fool's errand.

Returning items that have defects is literally the entire point of refund policies. I mean, I get what you mean, but you can't really fault people for expecting something they bought to work as advertised, especially when you're spending more money for what's supposed to be a quality product.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Internet Explorer posted:

It is actually closing them. It's not necessary in 99% of situations.

I find it useful to get rid of player controls for music/podcasts if I'm switching to a different player, swiping the app away will kill the notification as well.

Except Google Music of course which will happily keep its controls in the notification tray, forcing me to swipe it out of notifications if I want active display to behave and only show one app on my MXP.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

bull3964 posted:

You guys all realize that you are reacting to the same guy who was adamant about needing flash in 2016 and is pining for a PC dock for android?

Grimcreap'd again.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I noticed this in the sidebar reading that article: http://phandroid.com/2017/01/04/samsung-sdi-building-galaxy-s8-batteries/

Apparently they're not going to release their findings on what was making those batteries explode, so their strategy is to use the same suppliers and say "it'll be fine this time, trust us"?

And it's probably going to work, too. :sigh:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

bull3964 posted:

That article says they aren't going to release the findings until later this month. I don't see where it says they aren't going to release them at all.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah wtf, did you even read it?

I somehow missed the entire last half of that sentence, my bad. I feel like an idiot now :angel:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

It doesn't matter how good the specs are if the phone literally loving catches fire

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

4G LTE enabled??? And it comes with The Android Operating System?????? :eyepop:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

datajosh posted:

Lately Smart Lock has decided that I'm always at home and is keeping my phone unlocked everywhere. If I turn off Home in my trusted places, it goes right back to locking, but as soon as I turn it back on, it unlocks, regardless of where I am. Has anyone else run into this?

Edit: Well, turning off the option to scan for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth even when they're off seems to have fixed it for now.

I've been having the same problem (MXP), it was a bit spotty but it never kept the phone unlocked no matter where I was. What "fixes" it for me is turning location services off and on again from the notification shade. It stops smart lock from keeping it unlocked when I'm not home, but it also seems to break it entirely until I reboot and it won't work/unlock when I get home again. If I'm home and it's broken from doing that and I reboot it immediately starts working again though, so I don't know what the issue is.

I'll try turning that option off, hopefully it works for me too.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

LastInLine posted:

Or buy a fitbit or watch or a phone with a fingerprint sensor....

Blue Train posted:

Buy a Xiaomi mi band 2 for twenty bucks or a mi band for fifteen and keep your phone unlocked + see how lazy and unhealthy you are

Is the implication here to buy a Fitbit/watch/band and keep it at home, so your phone automatically collect connects and unlocks?

I just don't really understand why people keep posting this otherwise, because the entire problem people are having is that we'd like our phones to unlock automatically when at home, not all the time. Buying a band or watch that keeps my phone unlocked all the time so long as it's near me is a complete non-solution, if that's what I wanted I'd just remove the pin/pattern altogether or use on-body detection.

Telling people how great fingerprint scanners are isn't actually helping either, if I owned one of the like three phones that have one we wouldn't need to have this conversation in the first place because I'd just use that instead.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, you're right, once you ask a question all conversation should be aimed at what you want to know until your question is answered...

...I was specifically responding to those two posts, which were offering suggestions. Like, that's why I quoted them. The only reason I bothered saying anything is because it seems to get suggested every time someone brings up smart lock, but it seems like some people are misunderstanding the thing people are trying to do in the first place.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Fair enough, I'm not above admitting I'm the dumb one in this scenario.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

LastInLine posted:

It's this. Remember that he stated up the thread that even if Smart Lock worked the way it's intended to, he still wasn't happy he'd have to swipe to unlock the device rather than just hit the power button and have it ready to go.

I somehow completely missed this.

I'm the one that can't read, my bad.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

People backseat moderate when moderation isn't happening.

If I didn't know better I'd swear you were an alt of Spanish Manlove instead of merely competing for the title of saltiest ex-mod

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

My MXP finally got an update!

...bringing it to 6.0's December security patch.

Still more than I was expecting, I thought they had abandoned this thing.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

dont skimp on the shrimp posted:

It was supposed to get nougat early this year, but it was pushed back to may.

Where was this announced? I'm not doubting you or anything, just wondering so I can keep up with it myself in the future.

Or is it just via the usual Android blogs?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

mod sassinator posted:

Meh, I've had a Moto G 3rd gen and a Moto X Pure now and have never used any of the built in Moto stuff except the messaging and gallery apps. Anything beyond stock Android is silly phone fuckery IMHO.

What's the point of buying a MXP and turning off active display and stuff like custom phrases to activate google now? :psyduck: What's even the point of getting it over the 5X at that point?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Mister Macys posted:

Why would anyone want those first two?

Bluetooth on my MXP and my old Nexus 5 lags by a half second behind whatever sound is supposed to be playing. It's not a problem for listening to music or podcasts but it makes playing games incredibly annoying. I personally love music/rhythm games and they're unplayable with my Bluetooth headphones or my car's radio connected with Bluetooth. It also makes watching videos incredibly annoying.

At first I assumed it was my headset I was using with my Nexus 5 way back when, but the same problem happened with my car and my MXP inherited the problem when I got it. My iPad works just fine with the same devices, for a while I thought it was just how Android devices worked on Bluetooth so I went back to my regular headphones.

Also there's a small but noticable extra drain on my battery while using Bluetooth. Not enough to make me avoid it but I didn't exactly miss it when I went back to wired (outside of my car, of course).

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Arcanen posted:

I never looked back after getting a pair of these: https://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-...cs+backbeat+fit

They last 6-8 hours and never fall out or get caught on anything (after being used to wires, it's kind of amazing being able to take off / put on sweaters without issue), and are waterproof. At first I was skeptical of the lack of a seal to ambient noise, but it pairs well with how secure and compact they are. Just hit pause (there are 4 buttons on the headset itself) and you can carry on a conversation without any problems. Put them in and forget about them.

Sounds quality isn't brilliant or anything, but hey.

Is this the price range for a decent pair of Bluetooth headphones now? I remember my old rear end LG Tone only being $40 or $60 or something when I got it forever ago. It's also the reason I went back to getting a $10 pair of earbuds and just replacing them when they inevitably break every 6-8 months.

I'll make a note of those headphones for next time I have some extra money burning a hole in my pocket though, they look nice. Thanks!

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

If only we had heeded the grim warning of Watch_Dogs

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

:stare:

What the actual gently caress?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

LastInLine posted:

I was actually just thinking about this the other day trying to remember the dumbest one which was Sprint's, the Epic because it led to the sequel the Sprint Galaxy SII Epic 4G.

The Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch with WiMax from Sprint was such a garbage phone. It was the first smartphone my parents and I got and we ended up going through at least twelve of them between the three of us because of various problems Sprint couldn't fix when we brought them back to the store.

I don't remember the issues my parents had, but iirc some of the issues the ones I had were things like a five hour battery life (with the screen off, if I used it at all I got three hours), phantom touches on the back/menu keys, overheating batteries that made the phone too hot to use, broken antennas that could barely pick up a signal inside the Sprint store to say nothing of anywhere else, and finally an inability to connect to WiFi. We could have switched to a different phone (they offered to let us switch to some unknown brand piece of poo poo) but we kept getting replacements because we were honestly curious if there were any versions of the phone that weren't horribly broken.

For some reason, the store put a new policy in place afterwards with a limit on how many replacement phones you could get with Sprint's protection plan if they were unable to fix your problems. I wonder why.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Scaramouche posted:

Everyone loves drinking a coffee and messing with their phone am I right?

Well what if the the phone could brew the coffee???

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mokase/mokase-your-mobile-phone-cover-makes-even-coffee

Risks and Challenges

There are no particular risks in the realization of this idea also because we have developed a business plan confirming its feasibility. 
Moreover, we are persuaded that to work hardly and to have good ideas is always a positive thing. 
If your support will go further our expectations, we are ready to do one's part; for this reason, we have already considered a prodution enlargement right to be ready to every chance of success. 
All this will be our future common plan... it'll be our own next challenge!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Can't wait for Avast to partner up with GE so people can't hack my Hot Pockets in the freezer