Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Guess I'm getting the 6p even with the 810 if they won't sell me the 5x in Canada. My second choice would probably be the moto x pure/style but again, they aren't available in Canada at launch and there is only so long I can use a stopgap, cracked screen phone.

I like the larger screen and more RAM, I don't play games on my phone so heat shouldn't be as much of an issue, but I was hoping to spend a bit less this year and I don't know much about Hauwei.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Must Love Dogs posted:

So, how bad is the OnePlus 2? I've got a OnePlus One that I've generally been happy with. I just got an invite but I've already preordered a Nexus 5X.

Legendarily bad.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Tunga posted:

You can disable per-app background data usage in Settings -> Data usage -> <app>.

But will that prevent it from trying?

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

spoof posted:

Canadian Play store shows 5X shipping Monday, 6P on waitlist.

Is the $50 Play credit US only?

Yup.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Whizbang posted:

What? Nexus devices are explicitly for janitoring.

Or a reasonably priced good phone with stock software to show off what Android can be.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
If you want to cut down a sim, get it most of the way and do the rest with a nail file or sand paper. Keep in mind nano sims are a bit thinner as well so you might need to sand it down to get it to fit properly.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Is it because it's detecting that you're setting your phone down for a certain amount of time instead of carrying it in your pocket?

Sounds good to me if that's the case.

Actually scratch that that would probably get annoying.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

hooah posted:

I still have this problem.

Same, but on a 6p on 6.0.1. It's annoying. It's been like that for a while.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Thermopyle posted:

Boring phones are the best phones.

"An engineer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away" -Leonard Nimoy

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
My girlfriend is looking for a new phone and wants some advice but I haven't payed attention since I got my N6P. I think the Huawei Nova plus looks reasonable and in a good price range but the most important thing is that it will keep getting updates, is Huawei good about that?

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

DemonMage posted:

If updates are the most important thing then get a Pixel or iPhone, otherwise list your budget and someone will give a good recommendation for one of the cheaper ones.

She can afford a pixel but doesn't need a phone that expensive. She'd prefer a phone that would be supported for the length of the contract (so around 2 years).

$400 seems like a good price point but there's flexibility.

It doesn't need to be the first phone to get updates as long as it's not being abandoned.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Syrinxx posted:

First I've heard of the Nova, are you outside the US? I think the go-to phones at $400 are the Axon 7, Honor 8, and OP3. Can also look at the Moto G4+

Updates won't be as fast as the Pixel but I think they all have Nougat or it's on the way.

I'm in Canada. I didn't realize it wasn't released in the US. I picked it off one of the carrier's lists.

http://m.androidcentral.com/huawei-nova

The axon 7 looks quite nice.

Thanks, I'll look over those and show her the options.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

EdEddnEddy posted:

Does she like your 6P?

That should still get updates for another year or more at least and be on par with Pixel updates.

If it is too big then go with something else, but the 6P really isn't a bad option if you get one new still which can be found for less thant $400 for the 32G model.

We settled tentatively on the Moto z play, partly because it's $0 on contract (and some of the carriers are seriously lacking in selection).

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Jigoku posted:

To the person getting a Moto Z Play, it's pretty great for the price. It wasn't terribly slow or choppy on 6.0, but 7.0 has made animations snappy and helped immensely with RAM management.

Consider getting a 19mm watch screen protector for the camera hump. It scratches very easily. Also, don't get any Moto Mods except for the battery ones or maybe the speaker.

Oh that's good to know. Definitely going in a case, and I doubt she would have any interest in mods. I knew I could count on the helpful Android thread goons :D

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I suppose it's not likely buds will be back in stock in time. Bummer to miss that.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Changed it to my carrier and saved a bit, got a charger included as well.

But they do not make it easy to price compare

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I had that on a previous phone. It's the sound cancelling mic getting blocked. I think it's the tiny hole on the top of the phone.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

CLAM DOWN posted:

Like getting physically blocked? With what?! Dirt?? I've never seen that. How dirty are you goons????

Pocket lint?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
It will automatically change to adaptive charging at night as long as you have an alarm or bedtime.