Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Swype was my go-to as well. I eventually gave up and now bounce between Samsung and Google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I just cracked my s10 screen such that I'm getting no more display.

What's the best method to recover what I can? I can get it running on android auto and am backup up files right now. I can't transfer my MFA and other poo poo unless something else happens though. I'm afraid once the finger print unlock wears off I'm completel hosed.

What's the best value that's cheap phone right now? My guess is a 6a?

If the touchscreen still works you can plug it into a monitor or TV via hdmi and try your luck there.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

SyRauk posted:

I just want a smaller phone device that can be "docked" or "merged" into a device with a bigger screen if I need it if that makes sense.

Or just a drat flip phone again.

So, any Galaxy flagship released in the last 6 years or so? Except the Flip, ironically.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

bull3964 posted:

Samsung already has trackers in the market and the crippling defect is they only work with Samsung phones.

I wouldn't exactly call it "crippling" given the amount of Samsung phones out there. They probably rival the AirTags in coverage/usability.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

bull3964 posted:

Vendor lock in on android is dumb. I have two of the things I got for free, one of them the UWB model, and they haven't even been unboxed since I can't use them with a Pixel.

I would have thought they would have learned their lesson on that one with their wearables. Even if only Samsung phones in the wild have the native ability to track the things, you should at least be able to setup and manage your own tag on a non-Samsung device.

I agree, and hope these developments usher in a future where we can use our tracker of choice regardless of phone(It probably won't)

Just saying that "the handful of people who use phones in the 'other' category can't use them" isn't really a critical flaw. They're not gonna tear any Apple customers away from their AirTags, and there's limited value in using your resources to entice the few people using Pixels and others. It's a case of "works just fine for 99.9% of the people who would buy one, so it's fine."

That said, as I said, I agree with you and think that they should all work with all phones, especially when they can be abused. Agnostic tracker management should be built into the core of both Android and iOS.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

repiv posted:

google and apple have collaborated to standardize the anti-stalker measures at least, so android will warn you if there's an unknown airtag travelling with you and vice versa

the actual tracking networks will be two separate ecosystems though

Yeah that's what I was referring to. I wish they would allow some basic management for all trackers regardless of brand, even if specific features were locked behind owning the manufacturer's phone brand.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
I've found the ultrasonic sensor in the Galaxy to be just as good and fast as the sensors mounted in the back and the power button. The Pixel 7's was definitely "slow" but not "don't get this phone the sensor is unusable" slow.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Weaponized Cum posted:

My Pixel 7 has unsynched with my Google contacts. I've tried to resync but it's not working. Any ideas? I was so confused when I woke up!

I saw an article today saying an update with Play Services or something is causing that issue on Pixel and Galaxy phones.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Oh, perfect you can also keep it unlocked with proximity to a watch?

Unless they've changed it, you should be able to set it to remain unlocked while paired to a watch you're wearing.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

bull3964 posted:

Better than my S23 Ultra still being on May.

One of the other prior OxygenOS updates fixed my home control issues so I'm actually pretty happy with the OnePlus 11 at this point other then lacking of Pixel exclusive features.

The S23 June update was delayed for some bug fixes, it's being rolled out now if I'm not mistaken.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

bull3964 posted:

Case in point, there were a ton of articles on Monday about the July update not coming out the day before the holiday while Samsung's inability to deliver the S23 June update until the final days of the month passed without much fanfare.

Samsung had already announced they were holding the June update back for big fixing. Pixels that got the June update were reporting all kinds of issues. They've already released the July update so there wasn't really a story to report.

quote:

Not to beat a dead horse, but only one manufacturer got their devices banned from the global airlines after two failed attempts to fix the issue.

Google's hardware has a reputation for being... inconsistent at best. Goes all the way back to the Nexus days. Many of Google's phones have resulted in class action settlements over reliability issues. It is pretty much accepted reality in tech circles that Google's QA and build quality is not quite on the level of Apple and Samsung. Pretending otherwise is trying a little too hard to defend your purchase. This does not make them terrible phones that no one should buy.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Blurb3947 posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/07/fairphone-3-gets-seven-years-of-updates-besting-every-other-android-oem

TLDR: Fairphone has extended support for the Fairphone 3 (released in 2019) to 2026. Qualcomm has long since dropped support so they're building everything themselves now. Google's 2019 offering Pixel 4 had support dropped for it last October, by comparison.

Pretty impressive stuff. I've had the FP on my radar for a while now and would strongly consider getting a newer offering if they can continue long term support like this.

Hopefully the company is still around come 2026.

In all seriousness though, this should be the norm, even if realistically very few people will keep a phone that long.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Most people buying phones don't know and don't care what's powering them.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

VictualSquid posted:

Does anybody know how to restrict my phone to only turn on with the power button temporarily? Such that pressing the display or fingerprint button does nothing, but pressing the power button still opens the lock screen.
Or maybe deactivate all lock screen actions except for logging in. Including emergency calls.

I wanted that right now to install a screen protector, where I did just fully shut down the phone.
But, now that I had the idea, I kinda want the mode to prevent pocket dialling. Or rather pocket skipping forward on my podcasts.
I actually want the quick access most of the time, but sometimes I am wearing pants that are especially prone to pocket dialling. Which is why I want something that is easy to switch on and off.

e: Pixel 6a, if it matters.

I believe the Pixel shouldn't allow any input if the proximity sensor detects something pressed against the phone, I don't think it's a setting you can toggle though.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

bull3964 posted:

Never had a problem with Pixel doing it, but I sure as poo poo had that problem with my S23 Ultra.

Can't say it's ever been a problem for me. No problems with pocket dialing either.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

I just upgraded from an OG Pixel XL to a S23 Ultra. Is it worth using the Samsung ecosystem (keyboard, bixby, etc)? What are the biggest changes that I'm going to see?

Also case recommendations? I picked up the Spigen Rugged Armour but not too happy with it.

Lastly, is there a way for me to sync my photos and videos back to my Pixel XL, so that it can upload them to Google for the free photos storage?

I alternate between Google and Samsung keyboards, depending on which one is behaving better at the time. You are not missing much by using one over the other.

While there's nothing wrong with Bixby, most of the features it had over Google Assistant have since been added to Google. I personally use Google Assistant and I don't think you'd gain much by switching since you're coming from a Pixel.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It should be possible to flash a new OS, so you can ditch all the samsung crap and replace it with LineageOS or the stock pixel OS.

Pixel OS isn't stock, and you can't install it on a Galaxy. You might find something that resembles the Pixel OS, but chances are it'll be a bit of a mess.

You can go the usual route of downloading a package disabler, disabling everything some rando on a Reddit thread said is "just bloat that you can totally disable no problem" then come back to this thread to complain about your phone behaving erratically and glitching out.

Or you can just buy your phone, use it, and enjoy it like a normal person.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm old enough to remember when people got probation for not using capital letters.

What's the jank like on Samsung phones these days? Samsung claimed to have eliminated it from the Galaxy S6 but that was a lie. My S7 had its fair share of UI stuttering too.

In my unscientific comparison testing, I'd put it on par with the Pixel 7, they both still have the occasional Android quirks but day to day use is smooth as can be. Definitely better than what the Pixel 6 used to be, but I imagine that phone has improved since I last saw it.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

couldcareless posted:

Pixel pass is no more. Just got the email that once my phone is paid off my subscription will end. They will continue charging for One, play pass, and YouTube premium but I'll lose my $5 fi discount and device protection.
They gave me a $100 voucher to use on fi store for phone or watch.

Can't say I'm shocked to see Google kill a project.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

CaptainCourteous posted:

Couple of questions about cases and camera lens protectors.

I was just unexpectedly gifted a base model S23. It currently has a screen protector, a cheap case and a single piece camera lens protector that was bundled with the screen protector.

The case has got to go. So does the lens protector since all the cases I like have individual cutouts instead of the L shape cutout that includes the flash.

I'm favoring the dbrand Grip case because I want something rubbery with an extremely minimal look. A couple of the Spigen cases meet these criteria with the added benefit of guaranteed fit with individual lens protector caps, but I've seen a lot of complaints about the grip coating on Spigen wearing off quickly.

Finally, the lens protector. Is this even necessary? I'm not prone to drops so it's not shattering I'm worried about but rather microabrasions as I often carry my phone in a bicycle frame bag along with any number of other things including keys and small tools.

I can't say I've had premature wear on my Spigen cases, they've always been my go-to. I don't personally use lens protectors but know plenty of people who do. They'll save your lens from any unfortunate accidents but they are much more prone to scratches, so you'll be replacing them pretty often.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

smoobles posted:

I am. No luck. Is there supposed to be a notification or something on the receiving device?

It just does that sometimes, might pop up when you least expect it.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
You can still open links from a Galaxy phone in a Galaxy Tab. It might be possible to use Samsung Internet on the Pixels to achieve the same thing. I'm not sure it'll actually work, but it might save your recipe flinging dreams.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
So you know how you can set your profile picture on Galaxy phones and when you call other Galaxy users your picture shows on their end? Samsung had a bunch of animated options, and around the Note 8 or 9, I chose this strange white cat profile pic that moved up and down weirdly. It was always fun taking people by surprise the first time you called them.

Well, back on the Fold 3, I was playing around with the animated options and switched to some guys having a beer. I didn't realize the Fold 3 didn't have the cat as an option, and I haven't seen it since in any newer phones either. Anyone I mention this to thinks I'm just describing a fever dream. Is the only way to get the cat back to find an old Note? Googling for cat gifs is as futile an endeavor as you might imagine, there's only roughly half a trillion of them.

I figure most people here won't have the slightest clue what I'm talking about, but maybe someone remembers that weird rear end cat.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

If you Google for cat bopping gif is that the one?

Unfortunately, no. That's the cat that makes searching for this useless since that gif has a million different variants. "White bobbing cat", "Samsung white bobbing cat", "Galaxy white cat profile gif", and a whole bunch of other variations all return that same cat in the results.

The one I'm talking about is a still image of a white cat, but the image is animated. The cat is looking at you, and it kind of bobs up from the bottom of the screen as if the cat is peeking at you from under a table. But the animation is weird and almost seems like it's playing to the beat of a ringtone, and the fact that the moving cat isn't animated just adds to the whole weirdness of the thing.

Basically whenever I called someone with a Galaxy for the first time, their first sentence would invariably be "what the gently caress was that cat on my screen?"

Now when I call someone they get an animation of two dudes clinking their glasses together 🥂 and I'd rather have the cat.

Anyways, I hear the new iOS is adding that feature, so I imagine Samsung is gonna add a whole bunch of new ones in response, so maybe I'll find a new favorite.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Haha something very similar but it was a real cat and the movement was more erratic.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

PleasantDilemma posted:

What is the state of android-to-android file transfer? I've used x-plore app to do this between phones I own, it has a nice "wifi server" that makes things easy if you've paid the few bucks for it. But between two random android phones, what is the most seamless way to transfer a file or two? Still just email/messenger attachment?

Quick Share if it's Galaxy to Galaxy, Nearby Share if either device isn't a Galaxy.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Just saw an article about it claiming it's a bug hitting older Pixels.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

bull3964 posted:

Reason number 582 why Samsung's duplicate apps and ecosystem end up making experiences worse.

Honestly, if the price of everything Samsung does better is one random accidentally saving their contacts to the wrong place, I'd say it's fair.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

bull3964 posted:

To each his own, but I find that list to be rather sparse and half baked.

Fair enough. At this point, one UI and Pixel are different enough that it's almost as tough a switch as going from Android to iOS. You could argue in circles forever but the truth is there's not an objectively superior Android fork between the two.

If you're a Pixel guy, you'll only be annoyed by the differences in a Galaxy and vice versa. If you find yourself looking at alternate launchers and what things to disable on a Galaxy before you even buy one, you shouldn't buy one, get the next Pixel. In that same vein, if you're looking at third-party apps and launchers to get a Pixel to do the things a Galaxy can do, just stick with One UI.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

sourdough posted:

But that's not difficult lol

Easier for some than others, I suppose. While I don't find iOS to be bad at all, there are way too many things that bug me about the way it does things that I'll probably never switch to an iPhone as my primary phone.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Heavy Metal posted:

Samsung One UI etc has been good enough for me, I prefer less swiping and more "as is" stuff. I like Windows operating the same way it has for 20 years etc. I actually prefer the Samsung calendar, since the default month calendar view is my fav. I like the straightforward way you tap a day, it pops up, you tap elsewhere it goes back to the month etc.

I don't like how much Google Calendar defaults to showing you the Schedule view. I also don't like how the schedule view skips empty days etc.

That's a good example. Another example is how Samsung's messaging app works across all of your devices and on PC without all the QR code scanning and notification issues you get using Google Messages.

Samsung's hands are pretty much tied as long as Google forces them to include duplicate apps, but it's trivial to disable and hide the ones you don't use, so it's never actually been an issue for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Lowen SoDium posted:

Curious what issues you have had with notifications or QR codes?

The only notification issues I have seen is if I have the web message app open and in focus on my PC and I walk away, my phone may not give me a notification for a message being received for the specific conversation that is open on the PC for up to 20 minutes. But that hasn't happened a while, so I think it is fixed.

Are there other issues you have seen?

That's exactly what I mean, having to scan QR codes and run web apps, or making sure you don't leave the app in focus so you can get your notifications when you walk away. With a Galaxy, al of your messages just show up on your phone, your tablet, your watch, and on your PC, you don't have to deal with any of that.

Going even further than that, you can leave your phone in another room and still have access to all its apps and functions through either your tablet or your PC. You can copy something on your phone and paste it on your tablet, continue your internet browsing from one device to another, easily share files, use the same mouse and keyboard to control all your devices at the same time, etc.

To me, personally, it's a more complete and compelling package, on a Pixel or any other Android, it's either not possible, or requires workarounds and doesn't work as well.