Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Boywunda posted:

Oh my god, thanks for this.....

First time I opened Chrome after 5.0.0 installed it asked me if the separate tabs was behavior I wanted to keep, and instructions to change it back...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

I've got a dead-stock Nexus 5 that I've had since launch and has never been factory reset. I'm experiencing all sorts of battery weirdness so I went to factory reset it. It churned on "erasing" for a few minutes and then gave me the android on its back with the red triangle/exclamation mark. I held power+vol down and went to go to recovery, at which point it went back to "erasing" and has been sitting there for 5 minutes or so.

What the hell do I do?

EDIT: After about 10 minutes it started booting. Odd. Since it had weirdness in the middle of the process should I factory reset it again?

amenenema fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 3, 2015

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

My problem isn't losing battery sitting at a table. My problem is I take it on the bus and send a text or two and take a photo and 4 hours after I left the house I wonder if I'm going to have enough juice to make it home.

This is exactly my thought as well.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

berzerker posted:

Hmm, I just tried putting it on "device only" mode, which uses just the GPS and not the cell antennas, and now Google Maps isn't see anything either. I wonder if my actual GPS is busted and it's just been getting by on the Wifi + cell antennas for a while without my noticing since I'm in a city, so there are a lot of both types of signal.

That sucks if so, I bought this in October 2013 from the Play store so I think it's out of any kind of warranty.

I had the same problem - I tried the paper under the antenna trick and it worked for a few days, then nothing. Bought a new back for ~$20 off Amazon and now it works perfectly. I put a folded piece of paper under the antenna in the new back just to be sure it was making solid contact.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Handsome Ralph posted:

Curious, I have a Nexus 4 and I want to upgrade to the 5X. I also want to move over from T-Mobile to Project Fi.

If I go through Project Fi to port my number, are they going to port my number today leaving me without phone service till I get the 5X in 3-4 weeks, or will it not happen once I have the phone in hand?

I would like to know how this works as well.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

I know one reason I want a true silent mode - I have a smartwatch (Garmin Vivoactive) and it vibrates for notifications. I have no way of having ONLY the watch vibrate. So for almost a year now I've had my phone buzz immediately followed by my wrist buzzing. It's Pavlovian in a way...

No notifications doesn't work in this scenario because they don't get pushed to the watch. Will Marshmallow fix this?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

The 5X fingerprint sensor has been a game-changer for me. I pick my phone up and it's unlocked. I thought it would be a gimmick but it's really really good.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Sort of not android related but...

What's going to be my best replacement for Google Wallet since Google is killing the physical card in June? I'm pretty bummed about it and want something as close as possible. I used the card so my girlfriend could do the grocery shopping with a set budgeted amount and I could also control and monitor my kid's allowance via the card.

I need a physical card I can instantly send money to with my phone from a linked checking account.
I need said card to deny a transaction if there is insufficient available funds.
Purchases with the card need to trigger an alert email or notification to my phone.

Is there anything out there that fits my requirements?

Directly from the email they sent out to all Wallet Card users:

...If you’re interested in finding a replacement for your Wallet Card, both American Express and Simple offer debit accounts with similar features, including a card...

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Just got a Nexus 5X, where's the best source for more cables? Ideally both short and long from the same place - amazon? monoprice? newegg? - but I'd settle for two places with free shipping.

I got these instead of buying all new cables. Throw one in your wallet/purse and you'll be able to charge wherever you go since micro-USB is so ubiquitous.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Hey so anyone here dealing the the 5x bootloop issue? I've been fighting with Google and LG on this for weeks (phone currently in LG's hands in a repair facility). Check out this post about someone saying that Google is now telling people that the some 5x devices may have been sent a Pixel software update and that's what bricked them:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nexus5x/comments/5l66de/bootloop_megathread_20/dc23rub/

Unbelievable.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

sirbeefalot posted:

I just dealt with it (wife's 5X, started bootlooping during use last Saturday), but with an out of warranty 5X purchased from the Google store. Got a replacement shipped with zero effort on my part. Still going to sell the replacement (bought an Axon 7 since she was starting a new job right after the holiday and needed something, and I could pick it up at Best Buy in an hour), but if it really is because of a bad software update... goddamn.

So I emailed Fi to let them know that the CS reps I delt with were woefully ignorant of what is actually going on (included the link to the post about Pixel updates). Within 15 minutes I got a call from Fi saying that they were very sorry, that I should have been given a replacement phone immediately, no questions asked. I told them that my phone is currently with LG, as I was instructed to do by Fi staff and the rep said that if that's the case there was nothing he could do - they cannot issue replacement devices unless the broken device is in the customer's possession. He offered me a $75 credit on my bill, which I declined and asked to be transferred to a supervisor. After sitting on hold for 10 min he came back on and said they on have 2 supervisors and they're both on calls, but that he would document the issue and email it to them to have them follow up ASAP.

I guess I'll update as a know more?

TL;DR - Google broke my phone by sending it the wrong update, their CS staff told me to send it to LG to be repaired, and now they admit their mistake but can't/won't send me a replacement because LG has my phone. Hey Google/Fi - gently caress you guys.

Edit - to those above, regardless of what caused the issue, some people reporting it are having the device replaced by Google/Fi no questions asked, and others (like me) were told it wasn't Google's fault and instructed to send it to the black hole that is LG. The CS rep 100% agreed I should have been given a replacement device immediately when I first called. I don't give a rip what caused the problem, what I do care about is them handling the same issue differently depending on luck of the CS draw.

amenenema fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 6, 2017

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

sirbeefalot posted:

Since the most recent update on my Pixel 2, the peek notification when I press the volume buttons takes like 20+ seconds to go away on its own, instead of the 4-5 seconds it used to. I can touch elsewhere on the screen to get rid of it, but that usually does other stuff like pop up the UI in a video or whatever. It's annoying, so I'm assuming it can't be changed.

This is likely due to something being turned on in Accessibility Settings - for me it was allowing Signal Spy dialer access. Turning that off and the volume peek goes back to disappearing quickly.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Shai-Hulud posted:

You know what would be a really neat function? If i could select a a Movie or TV Show that i don't want to get spoiled on in the loving Google feed!

This and also for sports. If you show even a passing interest you get the latest results front and center. Particularly annoying for watching recorded stuff.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Got 13 the "normal" way on my P5 last night.

It broke RCS on mobile data. Chat features switch to "connecting" when I toggle wifi off.

Any thoughts on a solution?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

agreed. but is the 7 or 7 pro THAT much better than the 5? i only ever post anything on instagram or send directly to friends who aren't painstakingly critiquing the minutiae of photo quality

Went from a 5 to a 7 because the battery in the 5 was getting worse and the trade in deal was too good to pass up. I'd be just as satisfied if I'd had the battery replaced on the 5. I'd say fix the screen and rock the 5 until it's not getting security updates!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Shooga have you considered how amazing your life must be to devote so much time and energy to complaining about having flagship mobile device technology? With the free time you have maybe volunteer for a non-profit you like, take up a hobby, reconnect with friends/family, etc??

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

I just don't understand why people buy anything other than a Pixel or iPhone.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

codo27 posted:

S23 first impressions: feels much more like I desire in my hand and the hard edges are great.

Twice I've gone through 13 years of apps on my account selecting each one I want to install, upon pressing the button at the top to install them all, play store crashed :shepicide:

Ugh this just gave me such a visceral flashback. My condolences. I just let the auto backup take care of it all. P2 to P5 to P7, never had any issues. Prob should wipe and start fresh but eh

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

For those of you with fingerprint reader issues - have you considered using the place-based smart unlock for home/etc? Or trusted BT devices?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

bull3964 posted:

The problem is, those aren't good enough for things like payments or banking apps.

Getting INTO my phone is something I can work around. Unlocking my 1password vault or paying with my phone is a whole different ballgame.

Funny enough, I've found my P7P sensor to be more reliable than my OP11 at this point.

Oh right, duh. Ironically my P7 unlock works 99% of the time for everything, but my P5 (god's own fingerprint reader apparently) wouldn't register for the budgeting app Mint pretty regularly. Weird that phone unlock and app biometrics don't work the same (either good or bad) on the same phone.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

Anyone know why smart lock randomly stops working and has to have a full reboot and re-enable? If I notice it not working and try to go to it in settings I just get a blank screen after putting in my pin, which is why I have to restart to re-enable it.

Same thing happening here FWIW

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Elmnt80 posted:

Another mod suggested I ask in this thread too, so here goes. I have a close family member that passed thursday night, and I'm trying to take care of a number of things related to her passing while ya know, riding just on this side of emotional breakdown. I need to get into her phone to get some phone numbers so I can let people know she passed along with a number of pther things. She switched from the pin code that I've known for over a decade to the Android 9 point pattern screen lock and despite her showing me 3 months ago, I've forgotten it. I need some way past the pattern lock if possible.

Original thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4035090&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Try really hard to see wear patterns in the glass??

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I use Reminders all the time, nothing fancy with locations or sharing or anything, just notes to myself, sometimes timed and sometimes all-day. For a few weeks now Google has been warning me that they will soon be migrated to "Tasks" whether I like it or not. I read the little explanation they link but I can't tell -- is this the kind of change that is going to piss me off or not?

Honestly I like it better - there was no "reminders" app so you just saw the items in Gcal or a web wrapper (if I remember correctly). This way you have the Tasks app and it sits as a sidebar in Gmail.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

What's a phone recommendation for something:
1. Under $500
2. Android with a minimum of vendor fuckery
3. Camera at least as good as a Pixel 3a
4. Not gigantic slate
5. Will last at least 2 years without a hardware failure

Pixel 5?