Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

The Dark One posted:

Is the Moto G physically incapable of supporting three-button headphone remotes?

Was this a three-button-remote headphone that was explicitly said that it worked with Android? Most three-button headphone remotes I've seen have been set up to work with only Apple's proprietary three-button protocol, resulting on only the center button working when hooked up to an Android phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Mnemosyne posted:

I get a lot of these, but it always asks me 4-10 days after the fact. Like "Which date did you last visit Home Depot?" and then it gives a list of days. WTF, Google, I don't remember whether it was Tuesday night or Wednesday night of last week that I went to Home Depot.

When I can't remember which day I went where, I typically look into my Google Location History to figure out which day Google thinks I went to the business in question.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Keyser S0ze posted:

No idea if these Amzn fire ones will work, look like they are for some:

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-KA416Y...=bisafetynet-20

The Amazon Fire earbuds definitely work with both my Nexus 4 and Nexus 5, volume controls and all. I've been using them as my backup headphones for when my bluetooth headset is out of juice, and it's nice that I don't worry about earbud tips when I roughly stuff them in a pocket.

The magnetic buds are a nice feature, which tends to keep the cord from getting tangled up, and also means that I can use just one of the earbuds without having the other one flopping around loose though it probably does look a bit weird to have the other earbud clamped onto my ear.

The back of the left bud is convex and the right one is concave, and that makes it pretty easy to figure out which one is which without looking at them.

But yeah, as mentioned upthread, you really have to make sure that the earbuds advertise themselves as android-compatible if they have a volume control. Apple's volume-button system is proprietary, so if a headset says its volume controls will work with the iPhone/iPod, they almost certainly won't work with Android.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

So I upgraded to Marshmallow on my refurbished Nexus 5 last night.

And then, since I figured I might as well see this Doze thing, I left my phone unplugged from 7PM until about 5AM, when I woke up. I did a bit of light browsing with it during that time, but mostly left it on my desk, where it remained connected to wiifi.

Checked the Battery stats this morning.

That's kind of insane. I certainly don't /expect/ it to fulfill that 21-hour promise, especially since I have to take it to work and everything, but I've rarely seen my Nexus 5 promise a third of that much battery life when full...much less when at 67%.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

baka kaba posted:

Aren't they just Google searches that they run for you once a day? That's the impression I got - if you're listening to the most underground poo poo that isn't mentioned on the internet you might have a problem, but if you do a search and stuff pops up, you can create an alert for it. I think the bigger problem is when you have too many irrelevant results that take over

Although really, they should be making the knowledge graph stuff easier - if you like Artist, you should be able to say so. You could have a poke in Google Now or try searching from the Google bar and see if it gives you a card

Aren't those gone? At the very least, I don't see them popping up any more for television shows and movies. I think Spectre was the last film I was able to create Google Now alert for. None of the other films or TV shows I've searched since about...July, I think, have had the option. I still get alerts for movies and TV shows that I added before then, but I can't add any new ones.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

So, picked up a 6P two weeks ago, as an upgrade from my Nexus 5.

Wireless charging on the Nexus 5 was an excellent feature. Many a night when I came home exhausted, I'd just slap the thing onto my Tylt Vu charger, secure in the knowledge that it would be fully charged when I woke in the morning, no dexterity required.

I don't miss it on the 6P. Battery life, quick-charging, and Doze means that my typical regimen is, instead, to quickcharge the phone for about an hour at the late night if I think I might want to, and leave the phone unplugged on the bedside all night, secure in the knowledge that it'll be ready to take on the day the next morning, and can top it up to full if I feel like it in about 15 minutes.

At this point, I'm pretty much used to the size. It won't sit in my shirt pockets without sticking out, which is a bit of an annoyance, but I'll deal with that.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

So I wound up comparing my Nexus 5's ringtones to my 6P. I'd been using Rhea as the notification ringtone on the Nexus 5, and when I upgraded to the 6P, the settings made Rhea the notification sound on the 6P... which is a different, more percussive sound. Investigating further, I found that all the stock alarms, ringtones, and notification sounds, despite having the same names on the N5 and the N6P, are all different.

Has a reason ever been stated for this? Comparing my N4 and the N5, the stock sounds seem pretty much the same. Is it an LG/Huawei thing? Brief investigations seem to show the same sounds as the N5 on the Motorola N6. Don't have an N5X to check there.

I've wound up downloading a set of the stock N5 sounds and am in the midst of changing their ID3 Tag data so they have distinctive names in the appropriate chooser dialogs.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Nill posted:

No loving clue. My only hope is that it's some kind of soft rollout which would explain the lack of an official announcement and most of the comments sections full of people that don't have it.

Yeah, that appears to be the case.

Something I found out today (though haven't confirmed with an actual purchase on it), if you are willing to jump through hoops to use Android Pay but your bank does not yet support it, if you have one of those Google Wallet Debit Cards that they introduced a couple years ago, it's Android-Pay compatible, and you can shuffle money onto it.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Eej posted:

Yeah as mentioned above it's not that simple. There are links based on "your interest in Donald Trump" but if it's not directly related to something you've searched it just shows up as "Stories to Read". If you disable "Stories to Read" you just get no articles in your Google Now, ever. But yeah, it's stupid I can't specify exactly what type of stories show up in my Google Now unless I do all my browsing logged out of my Google account. I might click on a link about Ted Cruz eating a booger/tonsillolith or Rubio being stupid because it's hilarious but I don't actually want Politico/Foxnews/whatever constantly showing up on my Google Now, for example.

I rarely get Stories to Read anymore. The only thing that ever seems to trigger is updates to Mike Brown's Revolutions Podcast page; No other articles have seemed to pop up in my Google Now since about a year ago. No idea why.

I wonder if it's because I do a lot of my reading in Newsstand now.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

It's been months since I've gotten any Stories to Read except new item notifications from the Revolutions Podcast. I wish I knew what I'd done to break things.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

LastInLine posted:

That's true, but the 16GB Nexus 5x at $249 is a big step up for $50.

Assuming it's bought in the U.S. from Fi or the Google Store before April 7, and you're willing to lay out for one month of Fi service ($30 minimum pretax , but you get refunded for unused data), you get a 150 off (discount if bought through Fi, Rebate if bought through the Google Store) on the 5X. Looking at $239 for a new unlocked 16GB 5x, or $279 for a new 32 GB before taxes (plus up to $10 in rebate if you wind up using none of the data) that you can take to any carrier who will accept it at any time.

https://fi.google.com/about/faq/#supported-devices-3

Assuming supplies are still lasting, and that there isn't something hiding in the fine print in this offer that I haven't personally tried or heard back from anyone about.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

codo27 posted:

What do you homers do with your phones at night?

I put it on the nightstand.

When I wake up, I plug it into the quick charger, and get ready for work.

Not because I'm afraid of eating the battery, I'm just usually too tired to bother with plugging it in, and it will still be pretty near where it was on charge last night.

Doze has been pretty good in Marshmallow for me, and I don't do any battery life janitoring.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Alternaively, Bluetooth Shower Speaker? There's dozens of them on Amazon, and the vast majority of them have microphones.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Got my Nexus Live Case.

It's okay. It's a bit slippery. The NFC button is ridiculously hard to press, so after about a day, I just disabled it entirely. Also wound up submitting the image three times and talking to a customer service rep before the content filter let it through. Overall, though I like the way it turned out.

My previous RIngke Fusion case probably provides better protection, though.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

Is the NFC button actually a button that clicks or something you just touch and hold for the action? I thought it was the latter.

It requires a very firm push and hold that I find extremely difficult to do one-handed. I can make it happen two-handed, but if I'm using two hands, I might as well use that hand to open or toggle whatever it is I want opened or toggled.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Looten Plunder posted:

I was walking my dog and I got a bluetooth headphone notication that my connection to the phone has been lost. Pulled the phone out of my pocket and it just had the swirling ring with "erasing" written there. Looks like my phone has been completely erased.

Anyone with experience of this? I assume all my local media and data is lost but is this a thing I can expect regularly now?

I'm assuming you didn't get a "Remote Erase Requested" email from Google in the account attached to the phone?

(Though I suppose if someone did know your password, and did log into your account with intent to wipe your phone, they'd probably delete that email, too.)

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Vasler posted:

I wonder when the Pixel XL 128 GB will ever come back in stock. At this point I'm leaning towards getting the normal Pixel since it's been 3 months without stock coming back in.

Is there a functional difference between the two aside from size?

I can add a Quite Black 128 GB Pixel XL to my cart in the Google Store right now, though the shipping time is claimed at 6-7 weeks on that.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

The Merkinman posted:

Good thing this was released, then.

I suppose I'll give the new one a shot, but I really preferrred the original version of Google Contributor. The substantially-decreased number of sites it works on is definitely going to work against it.

Edit: Jegus cripes, it looks like I can only enable it on /four/ sites. Yeah, this ain't going to cut it.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 10, 2017

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Are there any recommendations on adapters that allow charging and 3.5mm audio out from USB-C port on a Pixel XL?

Trying to cut down on cord clutter.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

nimper posted:

I would say don't throw money at this since your Pixel actually has a headphone jack.

But I wonder - does the USB-C standard support this? I've found a few on Amazon but the reviews all say that it either won't charge or it charges very slowly.

Well, blast. Given that I only use the 3.5mm jack to line-in on my work computer, I wanted to reduce the connection to one cable into the phone instead of two. Given the apparent influx of USB-C only phones, I was hoping that use-case had gotten better served by now.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

What, no one likes LG Tones? They're around $35 and tuck under your shirt collar... I've had them around my neck most days for the last 6 years or so.

https://smile.amazon.com/LG-HBS-770-Wireless-Stereo-Headset/dp/B01EKDXM3O?th=1

I'm gonna keep using them until affordable Bluetooth 5.0 earbuds hit, and if LG upgrades to 5.0 then I'll just get whatever new tones they make.

I love the LG Tones myself, but I almost never wear any shirt that /doesn't/ have a collar, and it's usually underneath it.

That said, I'm currently using the Tone 810 with its retractable earpieces. Having to replace the cord clips on the non-retractable models when they popped off accidentally was annoying.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

MikeJF posted:

It's amazing how well blackberry hosed the boat. If they'd created Android phones with key and keyless variants of each model, the OS extended with security features like full hardware encryption and with better enterprise management, and done this five years ago and pushed hard on enterprise sales with these features as selling points, they could be sitting in an incredibly nice position.

They don't even have Microsoft sabotage as an excuse.

To be fair, to be in that position, they'd have had to be willing to burn down their business model in '07-'08, which was essentially the stream of revenue they were getting from Blackberry Internet Service subscriptions.

Would have been the right call, but it's a hard call to make in '08

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Something I noticed over the past couple days, with respect to Screen Pinning:

On both of my phones that I upgraded to Oreo (Pixel XL and Nexus 6P), both had the "Ask for unlock pattern before unpinning" option set from when I first set up Screen Pinning on them.

Both blithely let me unpin screens without putting in my passcode, until I disabled and re-enabled screen pinning. Has anyone else noticed that happening with Screen Pinning on Oreo?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Guillermus posted:

I know NFC is a pretty standard feature nowadays but, while having it on all my daily drivers since 2013, I have yet to find a single time I've used it. I don't pay with my phone and... Any other use? I'm curious since when I've tried NFC for data sharing between my N7 2013 and one of my phones, it never worked. I'm sure that I'm doing something wrong but I can't just get what it is.

For awhile, I was kind of into using NFC with the App Trigger to do some automation.

My earliest use of NFC was that I had an NFC tag in my car mount, and I'd use that to flip my phone into car mode when I stuck it in the mount.

When I first started using two-factor authentication,, I had an NFC tag that I stuck to my desk at work and at home, that would launch Google Authenticator.

When I went from my Nexus 5 to my Nexus 6P, I did use the NFC transfer to transfer the data over, but I don't recall it going a smoothly as it went with the USB OTG adapter that I used to go from the 6P to the Pixel XL.

When I started using multiple bluetooth headsets and speakers, I put a bluetooth tag on my keychain that would cause my phone to disconnect from all bluetooth devices it was currently connected to, so it was free to hook up to the one in front of me.

I also have two pairs of Bluetooth headphones and one speaker with a built-in NFC tag, which made the initial pairing simpler. But outside of that, I haven't actually used my phone's NFC capabilities in a year or so (Since being forced to upgrade my Debit card kicked me out of the grandfathered Banccorp-mediated Android Pay integration), and none of my phones currently have the Trigger app installed.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

What I used to do when I had a job that didn't allow me to arbitrarily work from home was just have fedex hold for pickup at the local fedex store.

When I ordered my Nexus 6P in late '15, I tried to have that done. Whatever shipping arrangement Google was using at the time wouldn't allow it. Wound up getting it from my Apartment Office, so I think at the time, signature was required.

WHen I order my Pixel XL in May, I just had them deliver it to my work, instead.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

One kind of annoying thing about the Minis; When the lights aren't on, there's no indication of where you have to tap to change the volume. I wound up putting some unobtrusive stickers on mine so I could see where to tap in the situations where the lights weren't on.

On the whole, I prefer my full size Google Home, both for its speaker quality and its superior physical interface, but I don't regret picking up the Minis.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

spincube posted:

[e] like why is there a 'never ask again' tick-box in the first place? any app that's continually farting questions like that which would justify excuse a 'yeah yeah whatever just go away and shut up already' option shouldn't be allowed on the app store

"Never Ask Again" in Android Permission Dialogs does not mean "Stop asking me for permission, just do it."

"Never ask again" means, "Shut up, I said 'NO!', and that 'NO!' is until I hunt down the Permissions in my settings to tell you differently."

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Does anyone know how to turn off the new Google Maps "floating map" that automatically comes up when I return to the launcher or an alternate app? It's useless to me and gets in the way.

Settings -> Apps & Notifications -> Advanced -> Special App Access -> Picture-in-Picture -> Maps

Untoggle "Allow Picture-in-Picture."

https://www.howtogeek.com/324401/how-to-use-or-disable-picture-in-picture-mode-in-android-oreo/

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Khablam posted:

I created a calendar just for now/feeds and toggle that on when I know I want it to appear in my feed.
It's dumb to need to have a workaround but you can work around it if you try.

Yeah, it looks like it isn't taking my Exchange work calendar, even though I've got it in my "Other Calendars" in GOogle Calendar.

Assuming I get into the habit of using "Tell Me ABout My Day," I may wind up kludging some scripts together to copy my Work Calendar Events to a more normal Google calendar every day or so.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Blue Train posted:

I use a mi band 2 which is a not quite smartwatch, you can get one for 25 bucks and it will let you know when there are notifications, do step counting and sleep tracking etc. If you don't want to spend smartwatch money it will do what you want plus more https://www.gearbest.com/smart-watches/pp_362705.html

I have one of those, to use as a fitness tracker. Ultimately stopped wearing it, because it would not be able to read my heart rate unless I had it uncomfortably on the inside of my wrist.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

So the Horse God wanting Endura Carrots: That's new post-DLC2, right? The times I had her ressurect murdered horses earlier this year she didn't charge anything, best I can recall.

Edit: wrong thread. Witness my shame. Apologies.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 29, 2017

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Q_res posted:

So instead of a charger brick in the wall and a cable hooked into your phone, you want that cable to plug into another charger with its own internal battery and then a cable from that to your phone? What purpose is this meant to serve? It sounds like basically just your average portable charger? Or am I missing something here?

3 kilometer Amp hours seems like a lot, I guess...

Generally, they pack the internal battery into the charger brick, like with this one.

http://a.co/gRpkhKP

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

My eight year old loves to set random timers on the Google home. We have several going to some period thousands of minutes from now.

It'll do hundreds of thousands of years, but, last I checked, it ignores leap days when doing the calculation.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

vyst posted:

It happened to me. It required me to do 2 button presses to turn off. It was a stressful time.

Happened to me on my XL about 15 minutes ago. My first indication was that my Bluetooth icon went AWOL and my headphones lost connection and wouldn't reconnect.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

So, yesterday I was sitting at home and a notification pops up on my phone to authorize a password reset. It's the first time I've seen that, and it had almost certainly been triggered by one of the people who have routinely assumed that they owned my GMail account over the past decade and a half. I looked at it, and hit "No."

But it looked so much like the standard "Use Phone As Two-Factor Authentication" popup, that if I hadn't been paying attention, and/or /had/ been in a situation where I might have been using it to sign into my GMail account at the time, I'd likely have wound up turning over one of my most important email accounts to some person on the other side of the planet.

That's pretty terrifying.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

effika posted:

One good thing about living in the Midwest: my Pixel 3 shipped today and will be here tomorrow!

Also in the midwest; my 3XL arrived earlier this morning. Ar Could have sworn I ordered it through the Google Store, but wound up being redirected to Fi customer service when attempting to get everything straightened out with regards to the purchase yesterday. Weird.

Does all Google stuff ship out of Illinois?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

RichterIX posted:

Folks that already got their Pixel-- did you have to sign for the delivery? If I'm not home my landlord will sign for it but the office closes super early so I need to know if I should make arrangements.

Signing was necessary, I believe. The last few times I ordered something from Google, Fedex wouldn't allow a redirect to a pickup location. This time I was home, but they took it to the apartment office anyway, and the apartment manager signed for me, according to the Fedex Tracking.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

cage-free egghead posted:

So I'm trying to get a bunch of files over to my Xperia and for whatever reason cannot get it to connect to my desktop.

Is there a certain app anyone uses to do file transfers over the network? I'm blanking on any myself.

There are probably better options, but AirDroid's been the way I've been moving files from desktop to Android for the past few years. Open the chrome app on the desktop, scan the QR code using the mobile app, drag and drop.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

syscall girl posted:

Software like airdroid requires a paid version,

Airdroid doesn't require a paid version unless you're not transferring between devices on the same network, or unless you want to have more than two devices you can attach to the account at a time.

I've never given them a single dollar, and transferred something like 20 gigs of podcast archives to a new phone using AirDroid two days ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

ijii posted:

What's wrong with using a bluetooth headset? I think a lot of them have about 6 hours of battery, plus you're not inconveniently tethered to your phone.

What more can smartphone manufacturers do to make their phones new and refreshing and better than yearly minor CPU, ram, storage upgrades? The only interesting thing I saw was those foldable phones, but probably end up as a bust like smartphone VR.

They're more expensive than wired headsets, You do still have to charge them, and the'll drain your phone battery quicker than a wired headset will.

Also, if you're using a wired headset, you know immediately when you've left your phone in a dressing room accidentally, because you're not hearing your podcasts anymore.

If you have more than one wired headset, you generally know which one is actually connected to your phone, and the answer is never "Two right now, because you forgot to turn the other one off and you just got back into its range"

I absolutely prefer the freedom that my bluetooth headsets have given me, and my Pixel 3XL is better at dealing with multiple headsets than my previous phones (it only starts to get choppy audio if there are three headsets connected or more), but there are a lot of little annoyances that I've worked around, one way or another. I'd have preferred having a headphone jack, but it was in no way a dealbreaker for me, as I'd been primarily using bluetooth headsets for three years at that point.