Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Well whatever, you can't even buy the original 6P charger anymore AFAICT. If I'm buying one, I will buy the appropriate charger which is $35-50.

Disclaimer: I don't have this exact charger, but if I was in your shoes this is what I'd buy without a second thought. I have their 5 port with 1 USB-C charger and another two-port and they're the best third party chargers I've seen. The USB-C port on the 5-port charger is as fast as my stock N6P charger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Taffer posted:

I got the 7.1.1 update available on my 5X. I heard mention in this thread that that may be bricking some, am I safe to update?

My wife's took several weeks to brick after the update (who knows if its related or if it is just an inevitable hardware failure), so you're probably safe in the short term? Maybe?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

[USB-C FUCKERY]

At this point I think I just want proprietary plugs back instead. :lol:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Captain Yossarian posted:

Still no 7.0/7.1 for my Axon 7, but I'm genuinely still loving the phone. Normally I get some kind of buyers remorse with anything this "expensive" and disposable, but not here.

Bought one for my wife after several good recommendations here and it really is a very nice phone for the money. Comes with a TPU case, screen protector (plastic, but eh), micro USB to USB-C adapter along with the QC3 charger+cable, and it feels super snappy. She even says Snapchat is decent to use on it, which was an absolute dog on the 5X it replaced.

Oh, and a 2 year warranty. That was a surprise.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
BUT THIS NUMBER BIGGER THAN THAT NUMBER

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Maybe you guys have a recommendation: is there a good BT receiver with 3.5mm audio out available that will turn on and off with my car automatically? It would be used mostly for just audio streaming, but speakerphone ability would be a nice bonus. Micro USB power would be best.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Awesome, it even has sane cable routing. Thanks!

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Jesus gently caress. "The other manufacturers put the fingerprint sensor on the back, near the m-" SAY NO MORE

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

DuckConference posted:

Yes for HDR+
Never use the flash it always looks awful

To add to this a bit, you can take good no-flash photos with HDR+ in much darker conditions than you might think.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Not on a 6P, unless you have the most stable hands in the world.

Works well enough for me, though yes you need to be stable for the shot.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Swipe left for back, swipe right for task switcher, tap for home.

Oh my god, its almost like the Pre's gestures. :stwoon:

(that's right, I've still got it bad for an 8 year old phone)

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

What else does Hangouts have at this point? It's definitely getting shuttered. What a pain in the rear end. I hope they at least roll GVoice support into the other apps before they shut it down for good.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Screen protectors, even your fancy glass ones, still look and feel like poo poo.

I would rather take the risk that I might have to shell out $129 for a display replacement than use a screen protector.

I just don't get this thinking. Mine looks and feels literally exactly like actual screen glass. Even after a year and a few months of use. Like, unless I look at the edges I forget that it's there.

They are less great on phones with tapering edges to their screens, though.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, that's one of the "what in the actual gently caress" missing features. There's like 4 ways to set reminders and it can't hook into any of them somehow?

That, and I'd like to be able to sync active timers between Home and phone, but eh.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
My 6P has put up a notification asking me to set up Trusted Voice about 3-4 times per day for the past week or so. I do not want to do this. I keep swiping it away, and I've gone into the Smart Lock settings to make sure something wasn't toggled on.

How the gently caress can I stop this? I'm bone stock 7.1.1 March patch level.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Monthly security updates weren't even a thing (on Android, anyway) until what, a year ago? Year and a half?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lmao no it wouldn't, Samsung is an enormous company and not only are phones just one small part, people would keep buying them because for a lot of people, Samsung = Android. They basically came out of the Note7 mess unscathed and I remember reading they still had record holiday sales.

Something like $25Bn in profits last year.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Google researchers finally published a paper on Tacotron. It's a new voice synthesis engine that does pretty good!

Anyway, the paper is not really in the wheelhouse of this thread, but I thought I'd post the samples page in this thread because it'll probably be incorporated into Assistant at some point...

The intonation changes with CAPITAL LETTERS and punctuation is really neat.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah but this guy is saying he needs to put tits on his phone

Ahh, the Skyrim Edition.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Looking at the BLU R1 HD as a cheap burner phone for my wife and I, to take to Paris this summer. We'll be gone for a week total. This is basically going to be a minimal point of contact and a way to catch an Uber, not much more. I'll have a decent camera for photos.

Am I going to literally die a painful death using this for a week? Has anyone used one before? Any other suggestions in that range ($60)?

Anyone have suggestions for a cheap/decent PAYG provider over there? Probably would be better served with a data plan with a couple gigs for maps/uber and whatsapp.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Thinking about a phone for my 7 year old to keep so that I can use an app to track her location. We're getting ready to go on a long vacation and I want to make sure we can keep track of her.

I'm thinking maybe the BLU R1 HD as long as the GPS works fine. Anyone have any experience with it and have anything to say? Any other devices I should look at?

I know there's purpose-made GPS trackers for kids, but AFAICT they're all pieces of poo poo.

I haven't used it extensively yet, but its a solid phone in passing. If I think of it tonight I'll throw my SIM into it for tomorrow to test location out.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Is the cable going all the way into the port on the phone and clicking into place?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

I can't imagine how someone ends up on Sprint. It's like they want the worst coverage, device, prices, and customer experience and just aren't willing to compromise on any of that. I feel like if you offered them two cans connected by a piece of string for $100 a month they'd turn it down for being too reliable.

I moved to Sprint to get a Pre back in 2009, when you could still easily find that employee's email and code to compete the sign up process. It was a good price at the time compared to Verizon for unlimited, but I remember the service immediately beginning a long decline for various reasons until I switched us to Cricket last year. The only reason I stayed with Sprint even that long was because my work paid for it. It's amazing that even with the 8Mbps limit on Cricket, it's still faster/more reliable than Sprint ever was for me. Nothing like 1-2 Mbps LTE at best, to say nothing of loving WiMax.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Fame Douglas posted:

Samsung Internet

Now there's a chilling thought.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Is this the OnePlus3 that you got from a friend, from looking back at your previous posts?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

incogneato posted:

I would, but I like my double-click power to launch camera and HDR+ and super fast processing. I'm assuming those features are all unique to the stock camera app on the Pixel?

As soon as you install another camera app, you'll get the option to use that instead when you double click the power button. The other stuff is dependent on the app.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I put in a "reservation" for whatever that's worth after noticing the size. Slightly smaller than a non-XL pixel with top tier internals. The 360º camera is actually something I'd use hiking, etc., and the whole package with the add on camera is the same as a 128GB pixel anyway. I guess we'll see how well they make use of those ~*SpEcS*~.

I'll most likely reevaluate and make the final call when it becomes available, but I think this will be a nice upgrade from my 6P. It would probably be the first phone since my Moto v710 that I don't put even a thin a case on.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Palladium posted:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11601/nokia-6-to-hit-us-market-on-july-10-55-lcd-snapdragon-430-229

:lol: specs for the $340 International version, and a U.S version that only supports just one LTE non-main #5 band from AT&T.

The Glorious Nokia empire regaining their former glory is all but guaranteed

That finishing description doesn't make sense. Anodized... twice? Polished "no less than" 5 times? :raise:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Lowen SoDium posted:

No. The back is where it belongs.

To be honest, having one on both sides would be ideal.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I'm still somewhat interested in the Essential PH-1, but it really needs to launch for real in the next 1-2 weeks before I just move on to waiting for the Pixel 2 (or a used Pixel). There's been a couple stories about one or two executives leaving the company already, and honestly that's not incredibly reassuring to see before the first product is even on sale.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I dunno if anybody else jumped on it, but the refurb Woot Pixel came with an Alcatel One Touch usb-a wall wart (5v/2A) and an A-C cable, and nothing else. Seems to be slowly losing charge when powered on, too. :sigh:

I'll have to see when I get home if an actual C-C charger works better. At least the phone is in decent shape (some micro scratches/swirls in the front glass, only really noticeable under a spotlight).

Yep, garbage charger. Reporting as a USB charger in Ampere, maxing out around 1A briefly. My old 5v/2A HP Touchpad charger with an Anker Micro USB cable and micro to C adapter is giving a solid 2A and is up 5% in charge in a minute already.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 31, 2017

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

RZA Encryption posted:

WEL-
COME
TO THE
PIXEL

Here's my blistering hot take so far: it is a Good Phone.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
The Android Thread - Come for the hyperbole, stay for the derision!

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I loved this app that stopped working after like Android 4.4 called TimePIN that would change your unlock PIN automatically based on the current time along with several optional modifiers. I had it set up with a reversal modifier and a custom offset for each digit of the current time. Took about 1 second longer than normal for me to parse the time and figure out the new PIN. I've seen a few other apps that claim to do the same thing, but in the age of fingerprint scanners... eh.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I'll be honest, the front facing speakers on the 6P made it easier to hear whatever compared to my new-to-me pixel, but it's not like there was ever a case to be made for fidelity or anything. It's just a case of being a bit louder and facing me, rather than off to one side. Literally everything else about the Pixel makes up for it though.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
You could try a third party email app that checks Gmail via IMAP on a set schedule. It's been long enough that I don't really have a good recommendation, though.

e; you might even be able to add your Gmail account manually as an IMAP account in the Gmail app, I've never tried that though.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 9, 2017

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I do hope it does well, and we see a version 2 eventually. With my "new" Pixel, I'm set for a while. I'm really interested in photo samples from actual reviews.

VV Hangouts was down for maybe 20 minutes last night for me, and I had a little panic attack that the ax had finally fallen. :ohdear:

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 9, 2017

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Wax Dynasty posted:

I'm trying to determine if I should RMA my 6P or wait it out and buy a 2XL.

I just got an RMA "exception" on my 8 months out of warranty 6P two days ago without having to push for it at all. Do it.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I mean, sure. Why not. Instagram has a chat feature, it's fine for just sharing content on that platform a little more quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

PerrineClostermann posted:

I still get Google Voice SMS in hangouts, which is great. :smug: