Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I mentioned this in the last thread but goddamn does a high volume of white noise/ambient noise gently caress up motorolas always listening for moto voice. I'm a pilot and the ambient noise is high enough that I wear earplugs + a sound insulated helmet but at the right volume that I can hear my noises from my phone, especially the high pitched tone that plays after you say "ok google now" or whatever your phrase is. Flying the other day I had it go off on three separate occassions. I wish it had a setting in the quick settings to turn it off. I love taking it out of my pocket to see the random poo poo its searched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Can we close this thread

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Z3, note 4, droid turbo (on Verizon), and moto x are the standard recommendations. I wouldn't lock yourself out of getting a moto because you got lovely customer service. Either blast one of their reps til you get it free or buy it from amazon. Moto x is a legit good phone.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Has anyone gotten their tylt vu from the black Friday sale?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I feel bad trash talking cyanogenmod because for a while they were a very viable option for almost every android phone, the only option for some android phones that came with broken software out of the box, and for almost every phone that wasn't a nexus, the only way to get on a current version of android.

that came with a lot of drawbacks, even in the stable versions. but that was usually better than the brokenness that was there to begin with.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I feel like this hasn't really been the case with Android since like 2012, though -- when phones like the Galaxy s3 and Droid Maxx's came around Android kinda hit a good state on a lot of devices for average users. Seems like there's less reasons every year to root your device and flash a custom rom or whatever.

Agreed. I would say there is no reason to root now unless you gotta have lollipop right now (aka no one).

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Lollipop finally hit a good state on my Moto G with the latest OTA update that Motorola pushed out. They've pushed out three OTA Lollipop updates in a month and a half - a crazy pace I've never seen any OEM do. It was needed though because the first two were horribly broken and wouldn't even allow basic multitasking. The last one seems like it cleared things up; I can finally Play music and use Navigation at the same time again.

I haven't had any problems with it on my Nexus 7 '13 but I don't use the tablet for anything intensive-- just reading PDF's. I have a turbo and I gotta say, if no other version of android came out I don't think i'd complain. Jellybean is at a very good state.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

bull3964 posted:

KitKat. Your phone is running KitKat, not Jellybean :)

Shows how much I think about it :downs:

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Let's not forget moto was replacing broken screens for nothing up until a little while ago. They've been great. Honestly we know nothing of your story other than you don't like them.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Kytrarewn posted:

So I've decided that I'm going to renew my contract and grab a Turbo.

Is there any reason (other than the fact that the 64GB iteration only comes in ballistic nylon) to choose the Ballistic Nylon version over the Kevlar one, since I'm going to be throwing the thing into a case anyway? I don't store much as far as media on my phone, so the extra 32GB is by no means essential.

Anything, from sound quality, cooling, durability, whatever else, might convince me to go for the bigger capacity version, but if it's otherwise identical I can't really justify the expense to myself.

Any thoughts?

I have the nylon version and without a case it's grippier than the Kevlar but that's it. Mine went straight into a case as well.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I have the commuter and while not gorgeous it does the job which is to keep me from dinging up this beauty

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

z06ck posted:

Finally received my tylt vu from that half off sale a month ago. It's legit

Yup, got mine too. Its so nice not having to line up my phone on the charger
:allears:

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Wireless charging question. Any way to have it not turn on the screen on charger? I hate putting my phone on it in bed and illuminating my entire room.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

LastInLine posted:

That went away for me in Lollipop versus KitKat. By the way you don't have to back out, open a new tab and close it. It will only occur when on the first tab in Chrome so alternatively you can just leave a tab open and it will never happen.

Literally happens all the time on my turbo, but only when I launch something from google now, ie I voice search something or search from the home screen search bar. Absolutely 100% of the time refuses to load until I close chrome and reopen.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

LastInLine posted:

This is literally what happens any time you're around old people, like exactly.

"Oh! Are we taking a picture?" *Starts shifting position in order to capture their "good side"*

"WHERE'S THE CAMERA?"

"That is a camera, Grandma..."

"IT LOOKS LIKE A PHONE..."

On and on for what seems like an eternity. Maybe it's just my family but the delay after saying that codeword better be ten minutes.

Yeah stupid old people not having smart phones

*kick flips in your granmas face*

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Should it even be physically possible for a device doing literally nothing to lose 22% battery per day? This is a Sprint Moto X on airplane mode with wifi off during deep sleep (not my primary device), and only Nova Launcher installed. I literally only use this device to listen to music in the shower once in a while.

Jesus, my Verizon X does the same thing. No sim card, on airplane mode, dedicated spotify player for running. Loses like 30% a day. I don't get it.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

SB35 posted:

Is the newest version of maps hosed up or something? Every time I say "OK Google navigate to xxx" it brings up the map and then just sits there with the arrow not moving and not saying anything.

If I say navigate to mine it will search the internet. If I say take me to or directions to it will actually bring up the map.

This is of course after it takes ten minutes to think about what I said. I'm on a turbo and I don't know what's changed but it feels way slower than my old moto x.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
So neat observation on a Droid Turbo.

My line of work occasionally has me wear night vision goggles. Yesterday while wearing some I had set my phone on my desk and noticed it was blooming them out. Apparently, at the four corners of the screen and the center top near the camera are flashing LEDs of some sort, emitting in the IR spectrum. I flipped up the nvd's and caught nothing in visible light. When the active notification screen comes on, only the center top one pulses. Otherwise they all pulse at random intervals.

I know this thing has sensors galore for active notification and all the neat moto features but I didn't know the screen had THAT many on it.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I love how we are arguing about whether android works or not. Let's go back three or four years where it just didn't. Saved us a lot of arguing :shobon:

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
The google plus camera is OK in the sense that it is better than the god awful stock moto one on every moto phone but it looks terrible-- half the screen is unused space with a camera button in the middle. And yeah I'm surprised android has gotten away with terrible camera apps for this long.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Turbo all day and twice on sunday.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Don't gently caress up my turbo with lollipop please. Its really great right now.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

Thank you for confirming my suspicion that people who get all-day battery life barely use their phones.

I got 4 hours SOT yesterday and got 18 hours out of my turbo. Suck it.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I thought Gingerbread was the Vista of Android.

Nah man I'd vote ICS on that. So much promise and show when it was announced and it was a buggy mess that every android device skipped save the nexuses

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Here's good discussion: why does every version of chrome blow. On my desktop it chews up ram and on my phone I have to close or open a tab to get pages to load or, very often, deal with 10-15 sec load times.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

XIII posted:

I’m having this odd issue where sms notifications seem to be getting cleared, at least to some degree. I’ll get a text or two and feel/hear my phone vibrate, but there’s no active notification (Droid Turbo). Looking in the notification shade, the Hangouts notification icon is there and I can preview the messages, but, when I unlock my phone, they are showing up on my DashClock widget. The messages are all there and unread when I go into Hangouts, so I don’t know what’s going on. I did have a weird thing happen where I got a text that I read and responded to from PushBullet, but it never showed up on my actual phone (this has happened once before). I’ve also had two friends say they sent me messages that I just never got. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Edit: about the only thing I'm noticing is that it happens when I have more than one unread message

Exact thing happens to me to the point that I check hangouts general message thread view anytime I don't check my phone for a while...sometimes active notify will have half or none of the messages.

No other app does this happen with other than hangouts. Gmail/inbox will sometimes continuously post an email until I read or archive it, however.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

freemason9 posted:

Please don't make fun of me.

I have this old Dell Streak device that I've been using in my garage. It's connected to an amplifier & speakers, and I listen to Sirius XM via the app through wifi. It works great for that. Here's my current dilemma, though, and I know you guys can figure this out:

I used to listen to Spotify on wifi and offline (Premium account). I let the Premium account last year; when I resubscribed this year, I couldn't find/install the app for Spotify any longer. I feel fairly certain that a compatible one exists, but I can't find it. The Android version on it is 2.2.2, and the Kernel version (whatever that is) is 2.6.32.9.

I would be most grateful if some smart person could offer advice, because Dell and Spotify apparently have no consumer support contacts.

Thanks!

Gonna go out on a limb and say your old rear end device isn't supported. You can probably grab a cheap moto x or moto g to fill that niche. In fact, I use my old cracked screen moto x for the same exact function: garage stereo.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

nerve posted:

Lol if you own a scrub phone that doesn't have both Qi and turbo charging

And voice control.

Get out of here with your plebe phones

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

kensei posted:

TURBO LYFE

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

RZA Encryption posted:

Yeah, but then you have like 3 mail apps, 2 messaging apps, 2 calendars, something called milk, etc.

Welcome to every android phone ever. I have messaging, hangouts, vzw messaging, vzw email, inbox, email, gmail, etc etc

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Smoke posted:

My original Galaxy S never got beyond 2.6.3. Wouldn't have been too bad if it hadn't included a (for me, dunno if other people experienced it too) annoying bug where the phone would randomly freeze while paging through the App screens, requiring a battery pull and reboot every time it happened, with no way to predict when it'd show up.

bro an original galaxy s? those were back in the days that if you got 8 hours of battery life with the screen off and got the update to froyo you were doing good.

I hate samsung as much as the next guy but lets be clear most android phones back then were pretty crap, just a different shades

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Droid Washington posted:

Speaking of finding something better: I just switched back down to my 2013 Moto X from the 2014 version and I forgot how great it was. I like it better than the newer one. It just feels better and the screen size is perfect.

Why

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

IuniusBrutus posted:

Can I ask what my benefits of sticking with Android over going to an iOS device is without causing issues?

I like Android, but increasingly little issues - updates (which Apple is doing better and better at), performance, and the inability to get decent battery life from a medium-sized phone - are starting to get irritating.

Nothing dude.

iPad even has FTL on it.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
So when did moto voice on the turbo just go to poo poo? I tell it to set a reminder and half the time it will set an alarm. I tell it a specific time and it sets "morning" or "evening" and then never goes off. The only thing it gets right is the memo name, half the time. The other half the time it google searches "set a reminder for whatever."

I hadn't used the feature in a while and i tried to set a reminder while driving and got a loving alarm later on, which prompted me to test it some and come to the conclusion its almost completely hosed, for reminders at least.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is it hearing you correctly and just not processing it correctly?

i thought it was but after i "ok google now" and say "set a reminder" it will pull up the set a reminder page....half the time. it computes the same text each time in the search bar. just sometimes it pulls up the reminders, the others it pulls up a google search. its infuriating, because it only fucks up when I need it not to---like when i'm driving.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
also, whats a good messaging app? the stock one on my turbo redraws everytime i open it and takes minutes to load text message threads, even ones not that long. hangouts crashes every few minutes and sometimes, when opening a texts thread, will jump to the first text instead of the last text....in threads several hundred messages long.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Well I have lollipop on my turbo now. What's next on the list to bitch about?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I don't like physical keyboards THEREFORE no one is allowed to like them!!!!!!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I had a Droid Incredible before my GNex so I was greatly let down with the GNex. It was awful. Mine had a nasty habit of catching the ole sleep of death in the middle of the night and loving up my alarm. I went to a Lumia 928 after that which was heavenly, and then a 13 Moto X which was heavenlier, and now I'm on a Turbo which has good specs and is a solid overall phone but I find the things that make the moto x cool are sorely lacking on the Turbo which is supposed to have the same features-- voice dictation never works for me, the neat "connect to bluetooth and do this" features seem to have disappeared with the Lollipop update for me, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Does anyone know how to access trusted locations and Bluetooth devices in a Lollipop Turbo? I can't find it for the life of me. I can't find any of the other moto settings either. The "Moto" app only brings up the voice controls.