Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Mesadoram posted:

So first game ever in my FCM, I think I made the right choice.

The FCM is probably the most fun tank I have ever played. Yeah, there are some tanks that win more games, and there are also tanks that make more money, but there's just no tank out there that's as fun as the FCM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Mesadoram posted:

Stupid question, why does the bush in this video sort of disappear as he zooms in?

http://youtu.be/yu4M4DJrnTs?t=33m23s

Is it because he has some graphic setting jacked up all the way? Because I have all of mine down low and what happens to the bush in this video does not.

I'm like 90% sure it's just an in-game graphical setting. When the camera is far away from some foliage, it'll looks low-res, blocky, and hard to see past. But as the camera gets closer (you drive closer, or zoom in), it renders the foliage in much greater detail, allowing you to see past individual leaves and branches like in the video. I play at max graphical settings and that's exactly how it is for me, thought I have no idea exactly which setting(s) may affect it. Unfortunately I'm out of town for a few days, so I can't test it out or give you a better answer than that.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

mmkay posted:

Excelsior :colbert:

TOG :colbert: :colbert:

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"You've won a prize in our holiday forum competition!"

gently caress, of course I win $2 worth of gold, and not a Type 59 or anything cool :(

also, there's a gold reward for making pubbies mad? how do I get in on this?

literally this big fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 1, 2015

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

demonR6 posted:

Downloaded one of the all-in-one installers and dicked around with the settings until I found that. I can send you my settings file if you decide to install it again. Night and day difference and no impact on the FPS.

Can you post it here? I'd like to try it out too.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
So if I start as soon as possible, platoon with goons, and sacrifice a goat, what're the chances that I'll be one of the first 5 players to earn a Stug and win the contest?

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Who wants to platoon with me and try out the new personal missions?

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Is there some way to combine mods from the Aslain and OMC mod packs? There are some really nice features in both that I'd like to get my hands on, but just running one installer after the other doesn't work.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

WayAbvPar posted:

This seems pretty decent. Wish they included premiums though.

What does "regular vehicles only" mean? Are premium vehicles excluded?

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

CitizenKain posted:

Regular vehicles are all the tanks that aren't premium. So premium vehicles don't get the bonus, I guess even WGing learned that lesson. 150k profit Type 59 games were pretty amazing.

What are some profitable non-premium tanks, and could they ever hope to earn as much at something like the Jag8.8?

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Subyng posted:

How do you aircraft carrier? Played my first game with the Langley and accomplished nothing.

It'll take a few tries to get right, but when setting up your torpedo runs always think to yourself "what if the enemy speeds up/slows down/turns hard in any direction/etc." Think of everything your enemy could possibly do, and do your best to account for all of those possibilities. If you have two squadrons of torp bombers, never send them both on the same attack angle (unless you're sure it will work), because that's just putting all your eggs in one basket. Destroyers are so hard to hit with torps specifically because they have so many options for dealing with torps at their disposal, and are highly unpredictable.

You can also use fighters (and bombers, thought it's riskier) to scout the enemy.

The closer you are to the front, the faster your planes can restock and get flying again, though pubbies are retarded and will reliably let the enemy get through to you, so it's generally worth sitting in the back. You can position yourself just behind an island for cover.

The carrier's autopilot is absolutely stupid. It will run you aground, has no idea how to navigate around terrain, and is completely incapable of reversing. Don't be afraid to take a moment to manually steer yourself.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Anyone want to make a team for the next tournament? Registration ends on February 8th, and the tournament runs from the 9th to the 13th, with a 10k gold grand prize. Teams are 4v4 (with 2 reserves per team), tier 5 max.

http://worldoftanks.com/uc/tournaments/1101-Weekday_Warfare_5/

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Magres posted:

gently caress Artillery.

:agreed: Effortpost incoming.

I normally abhor the idea of second-guessing a developer's choice of game design, as there is a lot more that goes into designing a game than most people realize, but artillery in WoT will forever be the exception to that. I mean, I understand why artillery was created the way it was: when Wargaming made their tank-on-tank combat game they wanted to include self-propelled guns, and they weren't sure how to implement them. They had, at best, some half-finished and untested design documents, and maybe some pre-Alpha gameplay testing to go off of, and so artillery was designed and implemented in a really lovely way, and it just got worse as the game went on. The absurd part is that artillery has changed so little since then, despite all the money, feedback, and resources WG has acquired over the years.

Right now artillery serves a similar role as Snipers in most other games: they shoot from far away, and deal large amounts of damage. The problem is that snipers are complete anti-fun in just about every game they're included in, from shooters to RTSs. I seriously can't think of a single game that actually benefits from the inclusion of snipers; in terms of either game design, or even just overall fun factor, and WoT is certainly no exception. I think artillery would be better served as an area denial weapon, a crowd control tool, or as a general debuffer to enemy vehicles, but certainly not as the damage-dealer it is now.

The fact that artillery has remained so broken and unfun for so long is completely amateurish on Wargaming's part, and the fact that arty's gameplay aesthetic has started to bleed into non-SPG vehicle design (most notably in the Waffentrager TDs) is seriously upsetting. I hate to be all "I could do a better job than Wargaming," and I know nobody gives a poo poo about my opinion on this, but here we go: Start by increasing arty's splash area of effect, lowering it's HP damage, increasing its module damage, and further decreasing its accuracy. Suddenly arty is less reliant on waiting 10+ seconds to perfectly aim its shots, is less likely to one-shot enemy vehicles, is less likely to score direct hits, is still rewarded for near-hits, and is better able to help the team by causing module/crew damage (ie shearing off equipment and stunning the crew). In any given match, arty should play a similar role as a KV-2 does in a tier 8 match: to damage enemy modules and chip off HP, while the brawlers and front line fighter do most of the actual heavy lifting. On the other side of things, non-SPGs would be less likely to get directly hit by arty, less likely to get one-shot by arty, less afraid to expose themselves to indirect fire, and overall less upset when actually hit/damaged by artillery. Increase arty's rate of fire, and include Battle Assistant by default, to make arty slightly less god awful and boring to play. Include a whistling noise to incoming indirect fire (some sound mods do this already) by default, so players know when they should take cover, and when it's safe to move up. Then hard cap arty to a max of 2 per team. This all might not perfectly solve the problem, but it's drat sure way better than what we have now.

Now someone please list all the reasons Wargaming will never change arty in any meaningful way. :eng99:

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Dalael posted:

Being shot by an invisible TD that you can't spot is no better than being shot at by an arty who will most likely not get to shoot again for another 30 to 40 second depending on his crew skill/modules. Most maps have plenty of cover and when used properly, will make artillery look for an easier target.
Exactly. But it's at least possible to have fun playing as/against a TD, and there's a fair bit of counterplay involved. When an arty hits, the player that gets hit get upset that they took some bullshit damage from across the map. When an arty misses, the arty players get upset because the shot they just spent 2 minutes setting up whiffed. No one is having any fun on either side of the equation, and arty contributes absolutely nothing meaningful to the game. I'm just wondering if there's any official stance or statement on the matter (even a "We'll deal with it eventually"), or if it'll just be forever ignored since it's not an issue on the Russian servers, because literally anything would be better than what we currently have.

literally this big fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Feb 5, 2015

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

rockopete posted:

Oh right, Japan, that beacon of equality between the sexes and flexible gender roles. Using Japanese standards to judge anything having to do with women or the portrayal of women is a laughably bad idea and is one of the more well-worn justifications employed by the sketchy avatar crowd, hth.

:yikes: Uhhhh.. so who wants to go back to talking about arty?

rockopete posted:

What about the massive accuracy, bloom, and travel time nerf? I can't remember the exact patch but I want to say 0.8.0 or late 0.7.x? It's a valid view to hold that arty was and is broken, but it has definitely changed a good deal since being the absolute game-breaking terror it used to be.
But none of these changes have actually impacted arty in any meaningful way. In a tank, it's still terrible getting gibbed by arty out of nowhere, and as an SPG it still sucks when your shot whiffs and you're stuck waiting another 80 seconds for the privilege of clicking once on an enemy tank. No one is having any fun there, and the only thing those arty nerfs accomplished was slightly shifting the balance of who feels frustrated when, and how often. With the increased transparency and better understanding of game mechanics and hidden stats, as well as the development of Battle Assistant, Sword of Damocles, red ball/pole, and other arty mods, I'd bet that any competent arty player is in just as good of a position as as they've ever been. And with the inclusion of a wider variety of SPGs (ones that can reposition quickly, ones with a quick rate of fire, ones with near-vertical impact trajectories, ones with autoloaders, etc.) the entire class' mechanics have been stretched to the breaking point, with no real solution in sight. Again, I just want to know if there's any official word on the matter, if there's any end to the problem in sight, or if there's any potential solution to this that I might just be missing.

rockopete posted:

So is PANSY doing a tourney next week or what's happening with that? Someone asked for interest and I said I'd be up for it but I haven't seen anything since.
Including you, we have three players, which means we'd need another three to have a full team. Deadline for signups is the 8th.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
:siren: Attn goons: Please join my superior ultimate tanks tournament team!!

Including rocko and Slim Jim, we have three total. Teams are 4v4, with two reserves. And we're going to need those reserve slots filled, since it looks like so far everyone's going to miss a day. More info on the tourney here.

Password to join the team is the same as the password for the in-game Goons chat channel.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Alright, we have our six. Thanks for everyone who signed up. If you're on the team, check out my post in the PANSY thread.

Also, what tank lineup does everyone think would work best?

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

NotWearingPants posted:

This feels like a bit like cheating because it's so much better, but on the other hand it sort of feels like this is the way it should be without mods.
This is true of pretty much 90% of the mods out there, including most of the banned ones. Just do what the EU server does and use whatever mods you want, since it's not like Wargaming has any ability to actually catch you. Honestly, Sixth Sense is more of a cheat than just about any other mod out there.

Jack_tripper posted:

some smart goon told to use the "disable voice messages" option on those players you want to single out for killing in the future
Yeah, blocking a player's voice chat puts a big, obvious mark on their tank on the player panel, but doesn't block their text chat so that you can feed on their pubbies tears when you TK them.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Uranium 235 posted:

Is the FCM 50t not good at making credits? It seems like it's the best t8 prem for players who are good. Pref mm, very mobile, very good gun with high DPM, supposedly cheap ammo, good gun depression. It's huge and has no armor, but that's where the being good comes in.

I'm seriously considering getting one even though I have the T34 and KV-5 already. They're just really slow and can be annoying to play sometimes. I tend to favor lights/mediums with good mobility.

If there's one thing I'm sure of in WoT, it's that the FCM 50t is the best tank in the game. Pref MM means that you never ever see tier 10s, and you get to poo poo on tier 6/7s all day. It's got the firepower, HP, and armor of a heavy, but with the speed and agility of a medium. It is the most profitable tank in all of WoT. It's got the accuracy to snipe, the stability to fire effectively on the move, the penetration to take on heavier targets, the RoF to win knife fights, the maneuverability to flank and reposition, and even the view range to effectively scout, all with a good armor layout. Sometimes I get sad that I missed out on getting a Type 59, but then I remember that I own an FCM 50t and I get happy again.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

quote:

(22:08:09) silly bean
(22:08:16) speaks in terms
(22:08:23) clown poo poo
(22:08:26) to get for loving rear end

This guy is PANSY material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
So my roommate sees me playing WoT and asks if he can play a round on my account. He's never played before, had no idea what he was doing, and of course played pretty terribly (in the Matilda BP no less).

He out-damaged two thirds of his team. :suicide:

e:

Agrajag posted:

Lel, hey guys good news about the whole SS thing. I got it kicked up to the admins and as it turns out it was not the only complaint made. I also made good use of the google cache link. Hopefully they do a follow up with my complaint. I also got my account unbanned.

How do I get in on this?

literally this big fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 6, 2015