Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So I've finally decided to get into this franchise and was just curious, are any of the movies canon (that is, are directly referenced in the shows proper) to the series or do they mostly just stand by themselves? If they are, where exactly would be the proper placement for them?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So basically only the Prequel movie and Our War Game really count in terms of the overall series, that's about what I figured. Is the Digimon Tri movie series worth watching?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I read a bunch of the dramas when I couldn't sleep earlier this month and they are 99% terrible. The other 1% is the Tamers epilogue even though a buncha nerds are trying to interpret it as referencing the Wonderswan games.
Tri has made some odd decisions but ignoring the dramas was a good one.

Yeah, I'm famillar with the franchise but for some reason never got around to watching it for myself until just recently. I'm probably going to stick with the 7 current main shows, the first two movies, Tri, and the Locomon movie if only because as I understand it Tamers ends on a pretty bleak note and I figure those kids deserve a happy ending.

While the other movies are of somewhat questionable canon (or don't fit at all) are any of them at least worth seeing?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 21, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I've decided to just watch all the movies aside from the Savers one and the 3D films, I've also figured out roughly where to place each film (aside from the ones that explicitly take place before and after a respective series I've narrowed down this timeline, correct me if I'm wrong: The first Adventure 02 movie is between episodes 21 and 22, the first Tamers movie is between 23 and 24 and the Frontier movie is between 37 and 38).

This is also my first time experiencing the Japanese voice cast, everyone's pretty on point so far except for Yamato/Matt who sounds like he's about 30.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

That's a common thing with characters in his archetype. The secondary male characters who're troubled a lot of the time and gets built up as the serious minded foil to the hot blooded main protag often end up sounding two decades older than they are.

I realize that, but I've seen shows where said character types at least try to sound vaugely like a teenager whereas here it's literally just a man's voice coming out of a boy's body (and hillariously he sounds exactly the same later in Digimon Tri). It's not terrible mind you and I'll probably get used to it but it just sounded a little weird at first.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

How can he sound exactly the same with two different VAs?

Also if you think Yamato sounds old, just wait until you hear Kouji. I remember kid!me (who, admittedly, was not accustomed to the Japanese version) was more than slightly shocked at how old he sounds.

Similar enough that I didn't notice he was voiced by a different guy at least, but fair point.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

Matt went through super puberty

Also you can just use whatever names you want for them. It's not a big thing- we're all nerd enough to know who you're referring to when. Most of us just go by what we're most familiar with.

Yeah, while I'm pretty much sticking exclusively to subs for this I'll probably keep referring to the characters by their dub names as that's what I'm most familiar with (in fact the only shows I'm going into completely blind for this are Tri and Savers onward).

As an aside it's kind of a pity that terms like "Digivolve" and "Digi Destined" were inventions of the dub as I kind of think they sound better than "evolve" and "Chosen Child".

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

They do just because they're unique if nothing else.

Japan doesn't care AS much about using super similar or even the same terminology, but in the states Digimon trying to use EVOLVE would have been a bad, bad idea.

Are you talking in regards to religious opposition or that it would be stepping on Pokemon's coattails (if it's the former then how did the dub of the Pokemon anime get away with using the term and if it's the latter doesn't Digimon, or at the very least, the Tamgotchi-esque LED game the franchise originally spawned from, technically predate that series by at least a year)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waterfall of Salt posted:

Which is also technically predated by the Pokémon games by a year :v:

Huh, for some reason I'd always thought that Digimon came first for some reason.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 22, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wow, the first episode of Digimon Universe was meta as gently caress. Also, out of curiousity was there a reason why Xros Wars ended up lasting longer than any season that preceded it?

Also I noticed that Savers is the only series where the protagonist doesn't have a pair of goggles on his head (out of curiousity, do any of those characters actually use said goggles at some point or are they mostly there for decoration?)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 22, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Tai, Davis, and Takuya use theirs a couple of times each, Takato uses his a lot though since the "Digital Fog" from Tamers required eye protection when entering(Rika and Henry used sunglasses instead)

What's the deal with the goggles anyway? Is it just because they happened to be part of Tai's design in the first series and they then decided to make everyone (except Masaru for some reason) have them from then on?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

Davis gets them from Tai as a passing the torch moment, Takato is a fan of digimon so the goggles make sense as a fanboy thing, don't know about seasons past that

i mean the answer is yes it's as a homage to tai but they decently have reasons to wear them

Yeah I'd forgotten about that so fair enough, though I think the main kids in Frontier, Xros Wars, and Universe just kind of have them with no other explanation given.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This kind of stuff is what makes me glad they decided to abandon any sense of continuity between shows after 02 (aside from Tri that is). If every series is its own seperate universe that makes discrepancies like these a lot less glaring.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, while I like the fact that Digimon actually has a plot and they keep switching things up to keep things fresh (as opposed to the Pokemon anime which is still following the same kid on an endless journey where the only things that change are the setting and the supporting cast), it's kind of a risky move in a franchise that's intended to promote a toyline.

While it's not quite the huge phenomenon that Pokemon is they must be doing something right though as otherwise this series would have been canceled a long time ago.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, I'm watching Frontier at the moment and it's been pretty decent so far. The whole Sentai-esque concept for some reason doesn't bother me nearly as much here as it did when the Megaman Battle Network anime did it. Izumi getting screwed over in her debut fight kind of sucks though, does she make up for it later on?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rudoku posted:

No. Unless you count the Ranamon crap.

So she's pretty much useless for the entire series then, good to know.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So it seems Appmon has about 10 or so more episodes left at this point (I'm guessing at least seeing as no Digimon series has lasted more than a year aside from Xros Wars), I'm curious if they'll continue to experiment with the formula or go back to a more traditional Digimon show after this. How soon do we usually find out what the next season is going to be?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 27, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

There's usually a three year break between series, so we have a long time after Appmon ends to know what will come afterwards, unless it sold so well that we can go back to yearly shows.

That said, we don't know exactly when Appmon is ending, and I doubt it is that close when we have a full level of the protagonists that hasn't appeared yet.

Ah, I just got into the franchise a little while back so I wasn't aware of that. Why is there such a large gap between shows and how long has it been like that?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Eh it doesn't really count as :filez: in my opinion unless it's legally available in English, so until we get an official unedited release for Appmon I'd say it's perfectly fine to download a fansub for it

Speaking of which, has Appmon even gotten a dub release yet (speaking of which, who even owns the rights to that over here anymore? I think it used to be Saban but I'm don't remember if it's changed hands or not since then)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 12, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of dubs, is there any chance of Appmon getting one anytime soon? I believe Fusion never got it's 3rd season over here (though it was subbed and put on Crunchyroll at least) and had kind of a weird release schedule and while Saban handled the dubbing for every incarnation except Tri it's possible they don't want the series anymore and/or lost the license by now.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 2, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Doesn't Nick still have that stupid "only 12 new episodes per season" bullshit that keeps hamstringing Power Rangers?

20 episodes plus frequent breaks but yes, that's still true for PR at least. Not sure if the same applies to their other shows as well but I wouldn't be surprised.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Geostomp posted:

That sounds really dumb and completely arbitrary.

Oh it is, but it also doesn't look like it's going to change anytime soon.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So out of curiosity, why are all the Digimon shows on Crunchyroll aside from Xros Wars Hunters and Adventure Tri dub only? Some kind of rights issue?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

Those shows just flat out haven’t been professionally translated yet.

Ah, for some reason I thought Crunchyroll subbed the shows they put up themselves.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

They do. But the versions of those shows they gave up aren’t the Japanese originals, they’re the edited dub, which means they haven’t been given the material they need to translate Adventure, 02, Tamers, and Frontier for whatever reason.

So in that case why aren't Savers (Data Squad) and Xros Wars (Fusion) up there as well? I know they both got complete dubs (up to the first half of the latter at any rate).

As far as dubs go, the Digimon ones aren't terrible (in fact, there are a few characters who sound better in English than they do in Japanese) but I'm not fond of some of the changes they made. For example, the final boss of Adventure whose name escapes me at the moment is kind of turned into a joke in the English version (though I believe he's still angsty as gently caress in the orignal too).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 8, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I am sort of curious what the next proper series is going to be like now (though we probably won't hear anything about it for a little while). Will they continue to experiment with the formula like they did with Appmon or will they do something that's more back to basics? I could go for either to be honest.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

There's no such thing as Digimon continuity, just a bunch of concepts that get reused in different ways in each series or game.

Yeah, aside from Tri they pretty much abandoned all sense of continuity between shows after 02. Which is good because the concept of what the Digital World is and how it works now more or less changes every season.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The last Tri movie's up on Crunchyroll now though I haven't actually watched it yet. Also, I got into this franchise late so I'm not sure but how long does it usually take for the next mainline series to get announced (that is, the show that will follow Appmon)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

There’s no real precedent. XW and Appmon were separated by over half a decade.

Is there a particular reason why there's such a long gap between seasons as of late?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Makes sense, I'd forgotten for a moment that Toei was the brains behind the Digimon series as well. Though when they do get around to making a new show I'm curious if they're going to continue to experiment with the formula like Appmon did (though Frontier and Savers were pretty unique as well) or do something more back to basics, honestly I'd be fine with either at this point.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 4, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I would honestly prefer that Quatro be a new series rather than another set of movies. Maybe even have it be an Adventure style show with a new story and cast instead of a continuation of a previous season (I doubt it though).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Tri was originally announced as a series before being turned into theatrical films. And since turned out to be a success at the box office I doubt they will be eager to change the format.

That's fair, though it makes me wonder if there's going to BE another series after Appmon now or if they'll just stick to movies from here on.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's a Sentai series, sure, but it's the kind where only the Red ever gets to actually matter, with a bit of Blue here and there. Which fine, that's Kyoryuger and Kyoryuger is super good, but this one was mediocre at best and terrible at worst. Great villains though, that's always a plus.

It still kind of bothers me that Izumi got jobbed in her first fight and never really got much of a chance to make up for it. Despite that, Frontier was an interesting concept (letting the humans take an active role in the fight rather than just leaving it to the Digimon), it just wasn't executed all that well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 30, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

Digimon and Pokemon have very little in common, anime wise.

Yeah, aside from having kids as the protagonists and the whole unique monsters that can evolve into other forms aspect they're completely different beasts (Digimon is much more story-driven for example). Also, I don't remember if the games, anime or manga started first but doesn't Digimon technically predate Pokemon at least by a few months (in Japan anyway)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hell, even a series in a similar vein to Adventure only with a new cast would have been perferable.

I'll probably still end up watching this but my interest has kind of dwindled a bit (seriously Toei, you have 7 other shows worth of characters to draw on, you don't have to keep milking the originals over and over).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On the bright side, the new movie seems to be helmed by much of the same crew that worked on Adventure so maybe it won't be a total disaster like Tri was at the very least. I still would like a new TV series one day though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

Happy second birthday to Appmon. It was such a good show that deserves more love.

Indeed. Still waiting for them to make a new anime that isn't Adventure related though (but the upcoming films do apparently have some of the original writers on board so maybe it won't turn out to be quite as much of a disaster as Tri was at the very least).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Onmi posted:

The previous films had the original director.

Ah. Well hopefully the new ones will still be better anyway.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Gear it back to kids and release legal Appmon subs, Bandai.

Hell, I'd take a dub at the very least. I also wish they'd make another series that isn't a movie and/or has nothing to do with Adventure but I kind of doubt that's going to happen any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fair, but it's also possible for them to do something geared towards older audiences without having to bank on nostalgia all the time. I just want to see something new from the anime side of the franchise, that's all.