Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I feel like its building up to something. Like, its a preview they're gonna see what they can leverage it into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Is he the first to escape V-Tamer containment? Outside of Arkadimon in Hacker's Memory.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
It may not be an anime yet/ever, but Seekers does sound loving rad. And I really can't help but wonder if the focus on live action trailers is a testbed for Something.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Yeah. A web novel seems like a solid toe dip into this sort of tone. If its popular, I can see VNs, games, or some sort of show (either live action like all the trailers or an anime) popping up in the universe.

poo poo, a three way faction war would lend itself well to a video game with an SMT like structure, provided Digimon games were allowed to have budgets.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Adventure: had a breakneck pace mandated on new evolutions. A few missing episodes due to COVID arguably decimated the show's pacing. Ghost Game's hiatus still sucked, but it isn't like they timed it to end with the Gammamon DIM's release or anything, and there was a ton of episodic spooks in between that could've been cut instead of plot. For better or worse, I think this is just how they wanted the show to end.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I'm a little sad that all the Gulus buildup was just "nope, he just wanted to bond for power and is the villain who must die." In a series all about understanding why Digimon are the way they are, it's a bit of a shame to just have that not play into the finale as much. But there's an entire other episode coming up, so who knows what surprises we'll face?

I see the next episode being about 1/3rd Gammamon facing his mortality, 1/3rd Proximon and Arcturusmon fight with an insane animation bump, and 1/3rd denouement.

EDIT: Y'all down below are probably right. I think I'm knee jerk reacting a bit. I just wonder how much we'll actually get about Gulus as a being, his motives, and what could drive him towards actually forming an understanding with Hiro. We've only got like 20 minutes of Ghost Game left, period!

The Bee fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 19, 2023

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

King of Solomon posted:

I feel like Proximamon won't/can't show up without Siriusmon and Arcturusmon coming to some sort of understanding. Especially given the way the card works, I just get the impression that Proximamon is very much a sort of combination of the two mega forms of Gammamon. Proximamon fighting against Arcturusmon doesn't really make sense.

On one hand, you're not wrong. On the other hand, Arcturusmon (at least in its current form) corrupted the Digital World without a shred of pity or remorse, and now just murdered a baby. We'd have to reach a hell of an understanding to untangle this one, I think.

Then again, if any Digimon can show up with only a few minutes to spare and insta-fix the Digital World, it'd be Proximamon. Guy's lore is nuts.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

King of Solomon posted:

Yeah, I mean, to be fair I don't expect Gammamon and Regulusmon to come to an understanding without significant effort. I fully expect it to require the crew to actually defeat Arcturusmon at minimum first.

I can see that. I'm hoping they have time for it to be a significant effort. But when Ghost Game wants to be efficient at its pacing, it can be scarily efficient. So we may still get ourselves a good effort!

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I feel like I liked that finale more than most people did. But, man, do I wish we got a bit more time with everything getting thrown around.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I feel like the invasion force was meant to be an anticlimax gag. But it does seem pretty good material to harvest for a future movie, which would also be the best chance for Arcturusmon and Proximamon to show up.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Fairy makes sense with BloomLordmon as her royal guard and that kind of ancient city in the clouds motif for her home. She did visually parse more as a cyborg though, or at least a hybrid of the two.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

amigolupus posted:

One thing that didn't sit well with me in GG's finale was how Hiro and the others correctly called out Quantumon for using the other Digimon as part of their plans, only for the partner Digimon to assure them they're cool with it. Maybe it just especially bothered me because I've seen some bad webcomics where a character manipulating and using other characters get a pass because they're nominally part of the good guys. In any case, I guess it also reinforces the idea that Digimons don't share human morality or emotions but they can learn/be taught by the humans.

It really seemed for a moment like they were about to attack and overthrow god. Both Quantumon's "ghost game" and the revelation of the Endbringer felt almost like intentional misdirections.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Speaking of, for anyone using "they didn't show in the reference book" as a sign for a future follow-up . . . bad news, they just showed up.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I'm amazed at how Bandai keeps finding new and interesting ways of confusing us.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Omnicrom posted:

Someone on twitter got it perfectly when they called Brigadramon "Kitbash War Greymon"

Its all fun and games now, but what'll you do when the edition change rolls around and WarGreymon can no longer take a jump pack and assault cannon as wargear?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
We could get Huanglongmon as SR and Ruin Mode as SEC.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Unfortunately, that's a negative, because regular Fanglongmon is indeed our first SEC. And, uh. He's scary.

quote:

Fanglongmon EX5-074 SEC <03>
Mega | NODATA | God Beast
[Digivolve: Lv.6 w/[Four Sovereigns] trait: Cost 4]
[On Play] [When Attacking] By returning up to 4 cards with the [Deva] or [Four Sovereigns] trait from your trash to the bottom of the deck, for each returned card, all of your opponent's Digimon get -4000 DP for the turn.
[When Attacking] For each of your Digimon with the [Four Sovereigns] trait, trash the top card of your opponent's security stack.
[All Turns] This Digimon isn't affected by the effects your opponent's Digimon.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Looks like Makuramon's not the only one with that rider.

quote:

Pajiramon EX5-011 C <03>
Ultimate | Virus | Holy Beast/Deva
[On Play] <Draw 1>. Then, you may play 1 Digimon card with the [Deva] trait with a different name from cards in your battle area or trash from your hand to an empty space in your breeding area without paying the cost.
[On Deletion] If your opponent has a Tamer, gain 1 memory.
---
[Your Turn] While this Digimon has the [Four Sovereigns] or [God Beast] trait, this Digimon gains <Security Attack +1>.

So it seems like that's how a Deva deck's cycling is going to work. You get card draw and another free Deva in security, ready to go next turn.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Omnicrom posted:

The funny thing is that Metal Seadramon actually does provide some value for Fish decks, just not as much as it could have if it didn't have its second and third effect. It's a Seadramon so it can be played out from under your Aegisdramon to trigger Plesiomon's inheritable, it has an on play effect that disrupts the board in the way that Fish wants to do, and it hands off Blocker as an inheritable effect in a deck all about stacking your sources. Fish as it currently exists usually plays one or two of the old Metal Seadramon with an on play effect to try and use as a spoiler, and the new one is arguably better for that purpose. It does really suck that it has so many limitations built into it of course…

You can even get it under your Aegisdramon by tying it into the MegaSeadramon in the same set!

MegaSeadramon BT15-029 U <03>
Ultimate | Data | Aquatic
[On Play] [When Digivolving] By placing 1 of your other blue Digimon as this Digimon's bottom digivolution card, return 1 of your opponent's Digimon with a level less than or equal to the placed card's level to the bottom of the deck.
---
Inherited: [When Attacking] (Once Per Turn) By placing 1 of your other blue Digimon as this Digimon's bottom digivolution card, unsuspend this Digimon.

So if they were trying to make MetalSeadramon not work for fish deck by putting those conditionals on it, they kinda failed. It still does. It just does so in a really janky and inconvenient way.

Honestly, I don't think these cards even need the only evolving into white qualifier. I get being gunshy about giving Machinedramon more support, but they're already full up on level 6s and there's 0 benefit to turning Chaosdramon X into a ticking time bomb. I don't even think Puppetmon and Piedmon have archetypes to even worry about. Why did they make this choice?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

King of Solomon posted:

The part where you NEED to use an effect to get it into sources because you can't digivolve into Aegis from it really hurts, though.

There's also Quartzmon to think about, but yeah I think they just put the qualifier there for Machinedramon specifically then expanded it to being part of the deck's gimmick after the fact.

Looking at the cards, I think the culprit may actually be Examon. Between the Ultimates letting you stock a Dark Master in breeding, and the cycling effect let you play one out for cheap, it doesn't seem too unreasonable to expect a speedy Examon hitting the battlefield. The MetalSeadramons also count for the when evolving effect, letting you whip one out from your hand for another free level 5 bounce and cycling effect. It probably wouldn't be the best use of Examon, but I could see the speedy mega zoo engine facilitating it a little too efficiently for comfort.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
They just dropped the funniest card.

Shoutmon X2 posted:

Shoutmon X2 BT15-012 U <03>
Champion | Data | Enhancement
<Material Save 2>
[Start of Your Turn] By deleting this Digimon, gain 1 memory.
[On Play] Suspend 1 of your opponent's Digimon. If DigiXrosing with 2 cards, that Digimon can't unsuspend during your opponent's next unsuspend phase.
(Rule) Name: Also treated as [Shoutmon] and [Ballistamon].
[[DigiXros -1] [Shoutmon] X [Ballistamon]]

It seems really good! Then you see the traits, or rather the trait.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

drrockso20 posted:

Would be nice to have DinoBeemon get a moment to shine though

As a sucker for mode changes, I'd love to have a moment where a character just aggressively kept changing forms to maximize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses. I get it'd be a bitch and a half to animate, though.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I dunno. GranKuwagamon feels more like DinoBeemon than Okuwamon to me. Both it and Imperialdramon take bipedal Digimon and turn them into quadrupedal beasts with red wings and primarily black armor. Imperialdramon has gold accents, while GranKuwagamon has silver ones. Their helmet crests have very similar shapes, too. They even both get a "fighter mode" of sorts, though I know GranKuwagamon's is an X Antibody variant instead.

Hell, with Dinobeemon already hunched over, it feels natural he'd fall into GranKuwagamon's stance. They both have an explosive mane of red hair, similarly designed wings, and a triangular crest on the forehead. Outside of the giant mandibles, the changes in morphology and color needed for Okuwamon are much more drastic.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
See, this is why Apocalymon only gets the crust. He gets the pizze one time and proceeds to turn the whole game upside down.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Kizuna's interesting, especially when 02 The Beginning seems to directly refuse it. You don't lose your Digimon when your Digivice expires. The 02 cast integrates their Digimon into their daily lives way more than any of the Adventure Digidestined, and that means when every Digivice flat-out disappears they just shrug and get right back to playing with their best buddies. They outright call depending on things like an electronic device, a wish from a primordial being, or the idea of some fated bond the wrong way to go about things, compared to simply striking up a relationship through word and deed.

The more I think of it, the more I think Menoa is supposed to be like Miguel from Spider-Verse. She was struck by a tragedy (in this case, caused through neglecting her partner in a rush to be mature), and ascribed it to some greater fate and purpose so she can at least feel like it isn't her fault. There is something to be said for the loss of infinite potential, but it's not the potential part that's lost. It's the infinite part. Menoa was in a rush to grow up and settle into a new life, and neglected her bond with Morphomon to do so. Tai and Matt were listless and directionless, and were torn between clinging to the idea of being Digidestined for some sort of structure and leaving Agumon and Gabumon behind for being "kids' stuff."

You know who doesn't have that problem? The 02 cast. In Kizuna, none of the Adventure kids spend much time with their Digimon, but the 02 kids bring their partners to an investigation in a college and an all-out brawl in the streets. In The Beginning, they're practically inseparable from their partners. That means they don't face the idea of a splintered bond even when TK's old enough to drive. How could they, when instead of being a distant childhood memory like Agumon, Veemon is Davis' #1 assistant chef at the noodle house? They're growing mature, and their paths are becoming more clear, but the energy they face life with and the love they have for their partners are as infinite as ever.

I can see why people buy Kizuna meaning what it says at face value, considering everything Menoa says does come to pass, Gennai himself agrees with her, and the series does treat the cast's disappearing bond with a sense of gravity and finality. However, between Agumon and Gabumon promising they'll be back and the Epilogue being canon in spite of everything, I think there's just as much evidence to say everyone's read on the situation is imperfect. There's definitely room to expand on the premise, and I think that'll take it from a gently caress you to a beautiful yet imperfect step along the adventure.

I'd love a third movie in this trilogy to square the circle on this. You wouldn't even need an Original the Character to tie it together this time. Just give me a movie of the 02 cast helping the Adventure cast find their smile, with TK and Kari the bridge connecting them. Make a thematic bridge between the movie that called itself the Last and the movie that called itself a Beginning, and maybe finally bring things full circle to prime us for the still-canon epilogue.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Thanks, guys! The Kizuna stuff is honestly nothing too new, and I've seen opinions like it before that helped me appreciate the movie more. However, I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone else looking back at those old analyses through the lens of The Beginning yet.

It's interesting because I don't think Kizuna is outright dishonest about its message. I just think it isn't quite as direct and final as "you grow up, the magic's gone, life sucks and this is the end." It almost feels more like a weird, in between stage of the cast's lives, their uncertainty literally made manifest by the loss of their other halves. The bittersweet nature of their current situation, backdropped by the hopeful insistence that they'll see each other again and always be together, just gives it a different feeling.

I know this goes against the epilogue being canon, but you know what would be a neat marker of this? Having Agumon and Gabumon come back as Greymon and Garurumon in a potential sequel. After all, in Japan, this is the shift from Child to Adult, the same evolution that Tai and Matt are struggling so much with. With Adventure partners basically being children stepping into that role when the chips are down, seeing their natural growth into those forms full-time could be fun symbolism.

E: Yeah, Kizuna's def more divisive among types that are deep-deep into the fandom, but by and large the movie was successful and well liked. It sure as poo poo isn't Tri.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 21, 2023

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

King of Solomon posted:

There was a blog post shared earlier in the thread that compared a few different subs for Kizuna, it suggested that the finality presented in the official sub was a mistranslation. One of the key takeaways from that post is that the movie has more hope that Taichi and Yamato will see Agumon and Gabumon again than the official sub suggests.

That makes a lot of sense! And since the dub probably went off the official sub, no matter how the English fandom slices it they're getting that sense of finality instead.

Its interesting because Digimon have always felt like creatures born of willpower, growth, and bonds. When seen from that light, neglecting both yourself and your partner feels like a much more fitting reason for them to disappear than age itself. There's a reason Gennai stresses a loss of infinite potential instead of just age, and why even as Morphomon disappears they just smile and tell Menoa they'll be together forever. Hell, in The Beginning, the same rupture of a bond happens to Ukkomon, through violence instead of neglect, and he STILL comes back for Lui's birthday as he promised.

And speaking of 02, we can't forget Oikawa, who despite being an adult only taps into a shred of that infinite potential at the very end. That's why the partner he could have had even shows up, and at Fresh level is even less formed than the Adventure kids' partners are when they first meet.

I think back to the "what are you gonna do tomorrow?" scene that caps off Kizuna. Then I think of the similar framing as Davis and Veemon turn to face their own "sunset", BigUkkomon looming overhead in a dusky sky, Veemon asking Davis what they are going to do tomorrow. And his answer is immediate: make some noodles.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Nodosaur posted:

Even the official sub suggests Taichi can regain his “unlimited possibilities”

Yep! And Menoa never got that message. She was so fixated on her own grief and rationalizations that she instead regressed everyone back into youth, trapping them in a sterile wonderland curated by artificial beings. It's all the more reason not to take what she's saying as the movie's final word, when she's doing the exact opposite of what it takes to actually solve the problem.

It's Spider-Verse.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 21, 2023

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Can't argue on that point. Sora may be the most mistreated character in Digimon, and I only say may because characters like Zoe exist.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
This is why I'm hoping we get a third movie to tie it together. We have the Last and the Beginning. We've seen one set of partners disappear from neglect and uncertainty, and another set of partners survive the very concept of Digimon partnership being undone. The stage seems perfectly set to look at these two stories and ask what's different.

Of course, it could also just be that the Adventure writing team gets an idea for a story and slaps it down without worrying about existing canon. "Wouldn't it be sad to write a story about a partnership ending?" "Wouldn't it be interesting to see who the first Digidestined was?" But I'd like to believe even if it comes from a bunch of retcons, you could weave a really interesting story from the threads that each story leaves behind.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Leraika posted:

green hawkmon cute and not a dinosaur/dragon

Tbh I think it is a dinosaur, albeit a more scientifically accurate raptor.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I feel like we'll only really see this in cases of infinite loops like this, but tbh I wouldn't mind seeing it used more in cases where cards are otherwise broadly fine.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Blaze Dragon posted:

We're celebrating the 25th anniversary of the anime with no anime news whatsoever. Amazing.

Lots of new manga though. Not only Liberator (which is also getting a companion novel), but also an anthology of manga including the winner of the Digimon Manga Awards and Yabuno Tenya (almost certainly Dreamers Part 2), starting on Summer. And a novel competition to follow the manga one.

All of it feels very low-budget. Bandai again giving zero funds to one of their most important franchises, yaaaay. Game side is completely dead, no anime news in their anniversary, but we sure are getting manga. Which I'm not complaining about, Dreamers was great, but it feels a bit underwhelming.

Oh, talking about manga, read Dreamers now. They're taking it down April 3rd. Why? Who the gently caress knows! Bad decisions are this franchise's bread and butter!

Oh poo poo, they are? Is it fully translated?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Thanks for the heads up! Between Seekers being fully finished (is the translation finally good?) and all of Dreamers available, I've got a lot of catching up to do.

'Sides, it'd be hypocritical to be excited for all the new Digimon content on the horizon if I'm not enjoying all the stuff at my fingertips.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I wonder if vertical monitors will eventually become more popular to account for how much internet consumption and web development is intended for phone screens these days.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Blaze Dragon posted:

I was thinking about this. Liberator must happen in a world where Digimon is an existing multimedia franchise, as the DCG exists in-universe. What if this isn't Cool Boy, but a cosplayer? He's even partnered with Omekamon, a Digimon that cosplays as Omegamon.

Pretty Neat Guy.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Yeah, idk if its an anti piiracy measure or just broke code, but I hope Bandai recognizes that this needs to change. They at least addressed the initial hammering of the servers, so I'm hoping they'll be receptive and patch things before the next update.

Welp, there's our answer.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 25, 2024

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
We know Zenith will have a presence in both stories, and it's about bug testers investigating the odd turns the game is taking. Unsure of any other crossover. Chapters come every 3 months, so it'll probably be both more robust in length and better translated than Seekers. But we won't know til a chapter comes.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Apr 26, 2024

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Blaze Dragon posted:

The novel happens alongside the comic, but follows the perspective of Yuuki, a member of Liberator's debug team, and her Partner Digimon Impmon. I'll just post the summary from the Twitter account now:

https://twitter.com/digimon_tcg_EN/status/1783468683328700475

About how well translated it is, it's impossible to know so far because we haven't gotten a single chapter yet. I imagine it'll be a rough machine translation too while the manga gets a more proper translation like Dreamers did, but I hope I'm wrong, the DCG moves enough money that having an actual translator wouldn't be that surprising.

Beyond that, they actually listened to the complaints about how poorly the site loaded and uploaded Chapters 0 and 1 into a new site that loads properly. If anyone didn't read it yet, I definitely suggest doing it here instead: https://globalcomix.com/c/digimon-liberator

The plan seems to be release on their site Thursdays, Global and Webtoon Fridays. I'm wondering if this means they're going to improve their website to make seeing it the day earlier worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
At this point you could make an entire DIM card out of Impmon's common line options.

Wizardmon, Meramon, Boogiemon, Devimon, and the new guy for Champion.

Baalmon, SkullMeramon, SkullSatamon, NeoDevimon, Phelesmon, LadyDevimon, and the new guy for Ultimate.

All to set up for Beelzemon, Blast Mode, 2010, BeelStarrmon, and his new final evo as Megas.

. . . I miss DIM cards.