Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Waffleman_ posted:

Was Deadman Wonderland good? Thinking about whether to stay up for it or just go to bed after Gurren Lagann.

Speaking of going to bed, you non-Goonami guys are pretty safe going to bed after DBZ on Saturday. One Piece is still in clipshow hell and Gurren Lagann is a recap episode that the licensor actually bothered to dub.
Watch Deadman Wonderland, it's pretty good. If you liked Hellsing Ultimate, there's a good chance you'll like Deadman Wonderland.

I will agree that DW being incomplete hurts it a little, since it's hard to get into a series knowing that it just sorta ends with no real resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

MrAristocrates posted:

How much of the sexual assault do you think they're gonna cut?
The answer might be "none of it"; didn't they leave the whole Romanian twins arc in Black Lagoon as well as Seras's :gonk: backstory in Hellsing Ultimate entirely intact?

Remember, you can't say "gently caress" on American TV because you might offend someone, but horrific, deplorable violence and literal necrophilia is okay! America!:911:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

TwoPair posted:

Also it will be my first time watching and I'm pretty sure if I made it through the SAO near-rape scene and the Hellsing necrophilia I'm pretty much invincible so I'm in for the long haul.

achillesforever6 posted:

Honestly I would argue what happens in KLK is no worse than those scenes or the Hansel and Gretel arc from Black Lagoon
On the one hand, this does not fill me with confidence. On the other, I made it through all of Hellsing and even watched the entirety of Black Lagoon (Roberta's Blood Trail included) on Blu-ray together with my dad. (Sidenote: he loving loved it, and said he wished he'd had cartoons like that back when he was growing up.) I'm also somehow enjoying Inuyasha: the Final Act.

However, I couldn't make it though the second half of SAO; it just got so loving bad, even for my somewhat low standards.

So, semi-serious question: Given the above, can I make it all the way through KLK? I'll certainly try, I just want to know if I should brace myself for anything "SAO: part 2" levels of bad.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Argus Zant posted:

DEADMAN WONDERLAND PLOT HOLE #3
Seriously, what the gently caress is Crow's issue with titties.
He's an American TV censor: massive amounts of violence, blood, and death are just fine, but a pair of titties is completely inappropriate.:colbert:

I kinda like that the wall-to-wall insanity of Deadman Wonderland means that nobody else gives Shiro's (admittedly strange) outfit a second glance. Even Ganta didn't think twice about it, and so the sole freakout comes from the dude who can make giant blood blades appear out of his arms.:v:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, does DBZ actually get numbers? I know it was requested like crazy back when the block was relaunched, but let's be real, those were people high on nostalgia who didn't actually want to sit through Namek again, even if it was all remastered and had the fat trimmed out.

Anyway, rehashing the old isn't a good way to start, imo. Maybe it's a better shift than AoT reruns but really I don't see it doing that much better.
DBZ Kai usually pulls in ~1,000,000 viewers in a post-AOT slot.
How does it do leading the block?

Dragon Ball Z Kai 1,321,000
Naruto Shippuden 1,000,000
InuYasha The Final Act 865,000
One Piece 858,000
Gurren Lagann 747,000
Deadman Wonderland 733,000

You said it yourself:

TwoPair posted:

Look we all know what Dragon Ball Z is, let's not bullshit around. You can talk all about how much you hate anime, (and you may actually hate anime) but everyone knows what DBZ is so I'm not going to explain it.
Everybody knows what DBZ is. Everybody loving loves DBZ, because it's goddamn DBZ. Running home to watch DBZ on Toonami after school was a childhood experience to a huge goddamn chunk of 90's kids (myself included). That nostalgia is still riding strong as hell, and it translates into ratings.

Besides, DBZ is the original Shounen, and it's a legitimately entertaining show, especially since Kai cuts out a lot of the boring filler. (Although I personally think they cut a little bit too much out of Goku's training with King Kai; I mean goddamn we didn't even get to watch him learn the Kaio-Ken in an episode, we saw it in a loving recap.)

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

TwoPair posted:

Well don't I look dumb, that's a hell of a lot better than I figured it'd be doing. Also I'm really surprised to see as much of a drop between Naruto and Inuyasha as there is, seeing as Inuyasha was such a draw back in the day. But then again The Final Act's plot (or lack thereof) is kind of a total clusterfuck so I guess I do kind of get it.
That's about what's expected actually; ratings drops are sort of built into the block since people start going to bed after [x] show is over. I'm more shocked at the Gurren Lagann drop; I can understand Deadman Wonderland not pulling in high ratings because it's a late-night rerun (although it's doing fairly well even so, and it did only have one showing on Toonami), but there's a lot of people who just tune out after One Piece.

InuYasha's actually doing really good ratings-wise; it was pulling in good ratings even at 2AM, and that's why it got pushed earlier up in the time slots. Inuyasha is sorta like DBZ in the ratings, it gets views just because it's goddamn Inuyasha. OG Inuyasha regularly pulled 600,000-700,000 viewers when it was airing in the 5 AM death slot (compared to the usual ~500,000 of everything else that's aired there). Hell, in one fluke week of June 8, 2013 it pulled this:

5:00 AM Inuyasha 914,000
5:30 AM Inuyasha 866,000
:stare:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Waffleman_ posted:

Black Dynamite has been cancelled.
Well drat, that sucks, I was really starting to like Black Dynamite.:(

It was a legitimately hilarious show, and it was still funny as hell even if you weren't really familiar with what they were parodying/referencing. I've never seen anything related to "Soul Train" (other than the fact that it was a show that existed), but that episode was still absolutely hilarious to me. The fights were also legitimately fun to watch, and being animated meant that they could go completely over the top with crazy poo poo.

In respect for Black Dynamite, have the quote that originally sold me on the show:
"OJ Simpson, you jive-rear end motherfuckaaaaaaaa!!!!":haw:

And loving Mr. Pickles still lives.:(

fade5 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 6, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Waffleman_ posted:

On Saturday, DBZ Kai officially became Toonami's highest rated show with 1,628,000 viewers. Three shows had over a million viewers, no show went below 882,000, and the DBZ Kai encore also did over a million.

fade5 posted:

Everybody knows what DBZ is. Everybody loving loves DBZ, because it's goddamn DBZ. Running home to watch DBZ on Toonami after school was a childhood experience to a huge goddamn chunk of 90's kids (myself included). That nostalgia is still riding strong as hell, and it translates into ratings.

Besides, DBZ is the original Shounen, and it's a legitimately entertaining show, especially since Kai cuts out a lot of the boring filler.
DBZ supremacy 4 lyfe!:whatup:

Seriously though, it's amazing just how strong DBZ's staying power is, with Kai managing to pull seriously great first-run ratings and really good repeat ratings.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

HGH posted:

I don't think I'm gonna keep up SAO2. I missed the first and it just sorta bored me to sleep last time. I know it's gonna get really stupid really fast but eh.
Same here. Part 2 of SAO 1 got so loving bad that at some point I just turned it off, and only watched the finale out of morbid curiosity/closure. Trying to watch SAO2 only reminded me of how much I hate/don't care about everyone in the show, so I'm not gonna bother trying to watch it.

I mean loving Christ it's not like I have super-high standards, I can easily watch Inuyasha no problem and yet I still can't stand SAO.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Breakfast All Day posted:

I like the boost mobile (possibly only for how hilarious boost's branding sprawl was at the time) and the live episode, wouldn't put them anywhere near the worst even if they were the biggest outliers. Last night's only joke that landed with me was the mech suit that wouldn't stop building up, since it felt like a live action rendition of their typical gags. I'd have to suffer through it a few more times at 2 AM before calling it the worst, though.
Same here. Usually ATHF is vaguely amusing enough to get a couple chuckles out of me, but other than the mech suit thing the episode was pretty boring to me.

Michiko and Hatchin looks amazing (although the evil rear end in a top hat family went on a bit too long) and I'm super excited to see it.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Stairmaster posted:

Toryiama has no reason to be salty after Resurrection F made it to #5 in america despite only being a limited run.
Holy poo poo apparently it pulled in $8.4 Million in the US and Canada alone.

The movie only cost $5 Million to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

The Grimace posted:

this also makes me pretty loving hype

pretty sure Phil LaMarr will return for Jack. He always seemed to get so excited when people would talk with him about Jack stuff
I hope the Scotsman will makes an appearance or two, he was one of the greatest parts of the series every time he showed up.:allears:

Man, new Samurai Jack, I never thought I'd see the day.

• Locked thread