Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
Small reminder for those up late, Cowboy Bebop uncut/HD begins tonight at 4 AM starting at ep 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Cardboard Box A posted:

If you're running a 4:3 show in a widescreen broadcast you can either stretch it like they did before or pillarbox it like they're doing now. The pillarbox is better. If only they would stop stretching all their other shows.

Most of the lineup is HD ready at this point. The few holdouts are Shippuden (made in standard definition, but that'll change soon), Ghost in the Shell (they'd need to get HD masters from Manga Entertainment), IGPX (the Toonami version would have to be re-created from scratch in HD), and Samurai Jack (made in standard definition).

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
Two Fridays from now is "Dinner With Family With Brett Gelman and Brett Gelman's Family."

Also, the pre-Toonami lineup has changed for the next two weeks:

8-9:30 PM no changes
9:30 Rick and Morty
10:00 Robot Chicken
10:30 Family Guy
11:00 American Dad

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Argus Zant posted:

no, i mean like, what could they get in 2015 that would be fresh & exciting enough to pull viewers but wouldn't have too much objectionable content to bar it from being shown before midnight

Here are the top 5 requested shows as of a month ago:

- Sailor Moon (old show might be a turn-off, and I hope to god they don't get Crystal)
- Kill La Kill (FULFILLED)
- Sword Art Online Season II (everyone believes this show is a lock for later this year)
- Attack on Titan Season II (doesn't exist yet)
- Hunter X Hunter (been addressed)

Argus Zant posted:

now they've just gotten KLK, which was another New, Exciting Hotness that Everybody and Their Mother has been clamoring for literally since last year
but they're not putting it into the pre-midnight slot, likely because it's too skeevy to show then
so instead we get DBZK, which is I think several years old already, not to mention it's already been running on the block since November

When KLK was announced, it was announced for 11:30.

Argus Zant posted:

so what would/could they get in 2015 that would be

A)Relatively recent/new
B)Unobjectionable for airing at 2330

Funimation has been experimenting with speedy dubs lately, so honestly anything they've recently simulcast on their website is on the table. Psycho-Pass II is being dubbed and streamed as we speak. Tokyo Ghoul was pretty popular last year. We probably won't see another mega-hit like Attack on Titan for another 7-10 years.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

WickedHate posted:

I acknowledged that.

I get what you're saying, though, and I agree about DBZ too, It's a pretty good get for Toonami even if it is technically old.

To put the power of DBZ in perspective, according to Funimation, DBZ: Battle of Gods outsold both Attack on Titan and the Cowboy Bebop BD.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

bull3964 posted:

CC was just the distributor, Augenblick Studios was the production company (same that does superjail.)

There should be nothing preventing syndication rights being sold to [as].

Hell, even if CC was the production company they could do it.

Comedy Central owns all rights to that show.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

JT Jag posted:

Gonna get better ratings than the new episode

Seriously doubt that.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

bull3964 posted:

I have to agree somewhat with this. This should just be a 15 minute show. The plot framework fell completely flat and served only as a way to get to the Triumph bits at the convention.

Since the show is actually being made by Universal Television, who produces a number of popular sitcoms, they may not have wanted to produce an 11 minute show.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Waffleman_ posted:

LAST WEEK ON TOONAMI

Dragon Ball Z Kai: Goku comes back, but not quite in time for the three hours. The Saiyans tell the Z Fighters that they've come for the Dragon Balls and can just go to Namek to use theirs since we just used ours. Then they try to kill Gohan, but Mr. Piccolo shields him.

Reminder that last week's DBZ encores at 8 PM now if you care.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
I can't wait for two weeks from now so everyone's favorite hatewatch can return.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
Don't worry. Naruto moves to 2 AM next week.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Kwyndig posted:

Is that before or after One Piece?

before

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
Some schedule changes effective next week:

- Bob's Burgers is added to weeknights at 9 PM.
- NTSF:SD:SUV:: joins DVR Theatre at 4:15 AM.
- King of the Hill bumps One Piece at 8:30 on Saturdays
- Cleveland Show replaces the King of the Hill hour at 9PM on Saturdays.
- Post-Toonami schedule goes: CleveX2, DadX2, KotH

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

RMZXAnarchy posted:

So they're dumping the One Piece encore for KotH, okay, maybe not great for people who miss the week before but its not a big loss.

But they're dumping the KotH power hour for Cleveland? :barf:

Bob's Burgers is replacing the 9:00 Cleveland Show airing on Monday-Friday as of next week.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Steak Eater posted:

Hey I just saw the meanest April Fool's prank and I need you all to join me in being bummed out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOUxS9eqxuA

I was coming here to post this like it was serious.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

bull3964 posted:

Did the animation for China, IL get thicker lines for this season or is it just me?

It does look like the lines got thicker. FYI, I had nothing to do with this season, but in season one the line thickness in Flash was set to "hairline" and season two it was set to 1.5.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

blablablabla posted:

So the moral of the story is Brad Neely would go gay for Jude Law and Ryran Gosling.

GATTACA GATTACA

This is the first time I've noticed a Korean studio doing animation work on the show.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

OZC posted:

So RightStuf listed the JoJo DVDs and it's listed a sub-only, so unless Warner plans to do like Sentai and dub it later, we can kiss a Toonami run goodbye.

Looks to be that way. Also the set contains all of Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Argus Zant posted:

does the cockguzzling jagoff who writes this garbage not realize that the soap opera bullshit is very nearly one of the worst aspects of this fuckstupid show

Apparently the ratings disagree:

ep 1 - 922,000 viewers
ep 2 - 946,000 viewers
ep 3 - 1,040,000 viewers
ep 4 - 1,110,000 viewers
ep 5 - 1,242,000 viewers

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

blablablabla posted:

This episode is non canon! Cakes mom was that weird hippie chick!

None of season one is canon.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Gaiza posted:

Yes, and if you think that's something...wait 2 weeks.

Two? Or three? Because most of the lineup is being preempted next week.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Beef Waifu posted:

riding in an elevator is not something that only happened in eva

Like this though?

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I bet Broly would have drawn in a ton of people if they poorly edited Kirito in there and had him win.

Broly actually did very well compared to the rest.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Waffleman_ posted:

Also Inuyasha is ending in two weeks, so keep your eyes peeled for promos tonight.

Edit: Actually, they're streaming their panel at Momocon in an hour here, so maybe watch that.

Half hour now. Stream is currently on stand-by with the Momocon logo.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, it can't be Jojo because the DVD's not out yet!

That's later this year. :getin:

Neither is SAO II. It comes out June 30th

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
Saw this on Twitter, made me laugh.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
Akame Ga Kill too, but whatevs

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

MrAristocrates posted:

Akame ga Kill ahahahahahahaha

Apparently it's the most requested of all the Sentai shows, which is telling about Sentai's library.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Waffleman_ posted:

Michiko and Hatchin seems interesting, but from what I've heard isn't the most chock-full of action. Which is not in and of itself a bad thing, mind.

It has a reputation for being a very underrated series.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

JT Jag posted:

Akame Ga Kill will get Kill la Kill's timeslot and Michiko and Hatchin will get Inuyasha's timeslot so yeah

From a business perspective, it does make sense to put the new show up front and the show from 2008 near the back.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Dangerous Person posted:

Up Toonami's budget so that they can afford 12 episode shows like Baccano! or Blood Blockade Battlefront without worrying about spending too much money getting more to replace their short runs.

Since they usually buy shows on a per-episode basis, it's not likely those shows cost any more. It's more likely they're not as interested in really short shows.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Crabtree posted:

I didn't know Vegeta was a quarterback in Saiyan high!

I don't know about QB, maybe a pitcher.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
ASAP IRL

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Hace posted:

where's steve blum why aint he talkin

He doesn't do non-union work, which is basically every Aniplex project.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Hace posted:

Nah, I was referring to the mini-music video thing, I thought it was gonna be one of the full-blown motivational dealios

OH! Yeah those don't come along often.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

OH poo poo

BLUENO'S BACK?

FROM THE BAR?

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

HGH posted:

Hey so, how does Toonami choose its shows again? Anyone in particular they don't deal with?

Jason, Gill, and Kim Manning (head of AS programming) are usually approached by distributors with a list of shows they'd like to offer. Sometimes it's the other way around if it's a title they really want (see: Attack on Titan). They see if they like the show, how much it costs them, if there's room on the schedule, plus other factors, and if everything works out they acquire the show. Most shows are acquired on an episode-by-episode basis, where they pay the licensor/distributor a fee for every time they run an episode of the show. A small handful of shows, such as Attack on Titan, are acquired on a time-based deal where they can air the show as much as they want for X years. Some distributors are more generous than others, and how nice they want to be to Toonami is their business. Every deal is different and can have its own unique perks and restrictions.

JT Jag posted:

Toonami has the cushiest relationship with Funimation, followed up by Aniplex. After them, they often have a show or two from Viz. A few companies that Adult Swim has tended to shut out are Media Blasters, the now-defunct Geneon and Sentai, though that's changing with the addition of Agame no Kill. Toonami used to have a very good relationship with Bandai Entertainment during Toonami 1.0, but that changed at some point, and now Bandai Entertainment is dead. These two things may have a slight correlation.

Geneon had 5 (7?) shows on CN/AS in the past: Tenchi Muyo, Lupin III, Samurai Champloo, Trigun and Paranoia Agent. Media Blasters had Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit on the air and that was it. Other distributors they've worked with in the past include Tokyopop, ADV Films, Sony Pictures, Synch Point (just FLCL), DiC, Cloverway Inc, Manga Entertainment (one OAV) and The Right Stuf. Historically Bandai Entertainment has always been their most generous partner, and that continues to be partially true today with Space Dandy.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Waffleman_ posted:

It's produced by Watanabe, so I think we can expect something good.

Just the music end.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Waffleman_ posted:

Man, either there's a lot of redrawn scenes this ep, or I'm just noticing them easier at a large size.

Nah you're right. There's a lot of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
I found out that this show originally wasn't supposed to air, but that Toonami lost out on another show and had to grab this one last minute. That other dot will likely be connected at Anime Expo in two weeks.

• Locked thread