Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Oh my god I beat out Roruz Raz and Gilganixon? How is that even possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Rorus Raz posted:

Sometimes it's the little things.

What happens when they fill that little red bar, they meet their goals for abortions and then what? Planned Parenthood's sinister Phase Two?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Shugojin posted:

Sputnik, I want you to know - I would totally buy a coffee table book of Ye Fowl Heralds.

If it sells well enough you might even get an angry, angry drinky duck strip about YFH :v:

I imagine I'd need Tinsley's permission to begin with, unless I just published the parodies without context, which would be really weird. Like a book of punchlines without the knock-knock joke.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

The real question is if someone could make a profitable film out of dril's tweets.

Only if it was a cartoon animated by Gavin Aung Than.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Hitler B. Natural posted:

I know we're not supposed to speculate on the effect of breaking news stories, but it probably deserves mention that some political cartoonists just got murdered in France over this sort of thing:

"Charlie Sharia Hebdo: 100 lashes if you don't die laughing"

Goddamn, I was just in Paris last week. They still haven't caught the three or four attackers, last I heard.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Rorus Raz posted:

Barely a week into this year and poo poo already sucks :smith:

To be fair, we inherited this year from the previous administration.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Stellar Curiosity posted:

For postarity's sake I've screencapped all the cartoons that was up on Slate.fr's tribute page.(when I visited the page)
My French is rusty.

Thanks for putting that together. Funny to see American cartoonists aren't the only ones who can be laughably trite in the face of tragedy.

snakeandbake posted:

Can we please stick to posting retarded opinions in cartoon format please.

Bweh heh heh hehheheh

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

frajaq posted:

I was expecting something worse from Ramirez, whew!

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

JT Jag posted:

He's just expressing his opinions through a political cartoon (edit). I don't see why people should have a problem with that.

I do wonder though if Ramirez would ever blame a white victim for his own death.*

* I don't actually wonder, I already know.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

I feel like these are both saying the same thing -- "yeah sure big man, it's real easy to practice your free speech when you're packing heat, you loving coward."

The Fraternal Order of Police has a weird dress code.

JT Jag posted:

You've never posted here before, but if you had you'd know that we went through an entire day-long fuckfest about this already and we're mostly done now, dredging it back up isn't necessary

Please, it's too soon for metadiscussion on the derail, let the dust settle first.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Yeah sure God You didn't know about it till You read it in the news. :rolleyes:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

zoux posted:

imgur had a collection of cartoons from Arabic newspapers in response to the attack.

"But... he called me a terrorist!"

"This is how we avenge the cartoonists' killer"

"In support of Charlie Hebdo"

"Freedom up in the air"

"Long live satire!"

Can you link to the album so I can share them with my editor without letting him know which forums I post on?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Best Bad Reporter

Mister Beeg posted:

Meh. I'm happy that any cartoonist can make a living at this

...I guess I should point out that I'm a cartoonist myself, so I have different viewpoints than most non-artists here :v:

(and yeah, I'm not the greatest artist around, but I'm aiming to improve)

Was surprised to hear you're only 25, because from your cartoons I get the feeling a lot of your influences are pretty old. Like Krazy Kat old, or early FBOFW. Am I close?

Gilganixon posted:

I know for a fact that everyone in DnD likes to pretend they've never heard of the Something Awful frontpage, but right now it has a good collection of horrible DeviantArt tributes to Charlie Hebdo.

This one is my favourite by a long way:

The #jesuischarlie hashtag on DeviantArt is a goldmine for worthless tributes, mainly consisting of very bad artists shoehorning their OCs/fursonas into the tragedy.

They're all pretty much like this.

Hell yeah bub. I haven't had a "political cartoons or deviantart" feature since, what, the Boston Marathon bombing?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Rorus Raz posted:

Mister Beeg's style reminds me of the old newspaper comic "Broom Hilda"

Who's cartoonist is still alive, apparently.

That's the one. I could only vaguely recall it but knew it was stylistically close.

Jedit posted:

gently caress you.

It's "Je t'aiiiime mort!"

I want to see a cartoon of, like, a terrorist with a smoking gun in one hand and a bloody knife in the other and he's belting out "Non, je ne regrette rien!"

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Internet Webguy posted:

Missing the cigarette and baguette.

Fun fact! I didn't see a single mime or stripy shirt when I was in Paris the week before the attack, but everybody smoked and people really do carry unwrapped baguettes around. It was kind of surreal seeing a stereotype in action.

Internet Webguy posted:

Maybe the print is just smaller.

Greenberg out of nowhere with the dumbest and most point-missing response.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Guess which lovely cartoon my idiot editor is running today :suicide:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Radish posted:

Is your editor a massive racist?

I guess that's a hypothetical question unless he's doing a feature on casual racism in American society, a contractual agreement, or something.

He publishes letters from A Wyatt Mann and greets the guy warmly when he comes in to drop them off so take a guess.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

“All criticism of the #CharlieHebdo cartoons amounts to victim-blaming and justifying their murders.”
Sounds like comrade Rall hates free speech.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Rorus Raz posted:

Happy Monday! :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r7dveDEv-I&t=14s

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Is Rall jealous of the fact that his cartoons haven't inspired anyone to try to kill him?

Rall can't even accomplish what Barry does so easily without even trying, no.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

RADIOHEADISGOD posted:

Here's a good piece about American hypocrisy in response to the Charlie Hebdo attack which was inspired by a cartoon posted earlier in this thread.

http://redflag.org.au/node/4373

This cartoon immediately sprang to mind

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Hitler B. Natural posted:

tldr "cartoonists aren't supposed to hurt people's feelings".

Russia has a big presence on Deviantart, doesn't it.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Here's another rib-tickler!

:lol:

Edit: For even more of a laugh, go to the linked website :)

yessss

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Gonna hang on to this one for later.

Rorus Raz posted:

I think he gets called antisemitic by Israelis so much that he doubles down on some poo poo to tweak their noses without any self-awareness that's he's giving critics ammo.

That's my understanding too, and frankly it's a lot like Tinsley's assertion that calling him out on his racism hast lost all meaning just because he feigns innocence over poo poo like "rodent day." That said, Latuff owns and while his perceived antisemitism can damage his message, it doesn't negate it by any means and I appreciate that he's one of the few prominent cartoonists calling Israel out on its poo poo.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Atlas Smugged

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

The government takes something you have an excess of that you couldn't possibly use to its fullest extent and turns it into higher-quality things you directly benefit from, with the extra going towards others who have less than you.

I mean, it's not even a "sheep to the slaughter" or "wolf among sheep" metaphor, it's just a harmless shave that sheep are generally better off for.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

:stare: So is that sheep about to metamorphosize into a giant horrible alien butterfly?

Where do you think goats come from, silly.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Stormageddon posted:

People are literally killing islamic innocents in retaliation for the attack and Kirschen is still wringing his hands saying "More. MORE!" I mean goddamn, man.

I can't believe you could say such an antisemitic thing.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Muscle Tracer posted:

If only it weren't victim blaming.

loving lol.

He is gonna get an ornery letter from Ted Rall over that first panel.

Meanwhile to the surprise of no one, Dude-This-Is-Gav jumps on the bandwagon in the most facile way possible.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Death Ray posted:

Jesus, Mallard…. why do we have to Google something different for every panel??

On a completely unrelated note, is the Day by Day website down or something? For some reason I have not been able to access it for days (blank page, no message).

As to why I would even want to, well, I happen to be a complete and total rear end in a top hat.

Saw tomorrow's comic, can't find it online or I'd post it; what he's getting at is the case of some student newspaper writer, a conservative muslim (and thus one of the good ones) who wrote a column mocking political correctness and victimhood (doubly one of the good ones), and got fired for it (what a martyr!). Tinsley hasn't spent enough time on the virulently anti-SJW side of Tumblr if this impresses him.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

aha, this old canard.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Vogon Poet posted:

Muir has completed some arcs in the past. Episodes like the Roosevelts arc and the arc that introduced Blowjob Russian were comedy gold. I feel like, as Muir has gotten more and more detached from reality, he's also lost the ability to stay focused on a storyline.

I brought this up last year, but I think it's worth repeating. Squirrel Appreciation Day is an actual (very obscure) holiday, and considering that Tinsley does do non-political gag strips from time to time, I find it quite plausible that he started doing Squirrel Appreciation Day strips as a silly gag and was too stupid to realize the coincident timing with MLK Day. (Also, he's been doing these strips every year for at least a few years, and the first time he did it Squirrel Appreciation Day was not the same day as MLK Day. It was later, when they did fall on the same day, that people here first got up in arms about it.) Now, I can't say for sure either way, but when there are so many times that Tinsley is definitely an rear end in a top hat I don't think it's necessary to attack him for something where he's only maybe being an rear end in a top hat.

Even if it was an accident at first (which I seriously doubt), the way he continues to do it in such an antagonistic fashion is just sheer shitheadedness.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

colonel_korn posted:

Here's one more -- or is it William Tell? 7oden is too dumb to know they were different people.

He'll be fine, just wait for St. Irene of Rome to show up.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Somfin posted:

Are you kidding? Lamp-Biden is one of the most surreal things this thread has seen in a long while.

But yeah, holy hell this is a boring comic. "Here is my position on the issue. Thank you for reading." Not even an attempt at a punchline.

Whoops! I forgot to cross-hatch a joke.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

pkfan2004 posted:

Ohhhh, lemme tell a little story 'bout a man named Zed,
Got two(?) lumpy children and his waifu's hair is red,
Used to be a badass sniper fighting in a foreign war,
Also used to be hand drawn but that don't happen anymore.

Photoshopped, he is. GIS, blur and trace.

What's ol' Zed up to now? Well no-one really knows.
He mostly fucks around and is helped by Portago.
The gubmint wants to kill him and they do the best they can,
But it's hard to do your job when you're made of straw, man.

That Obama, man. No penis, fat wife.

Would you really want to hang around with Zed and all his kin?
His best friend is just like him 'cept for color of his skin.
And Black Guy's wife, a Russian boy and feisty Israeli gal,
But Muir makes them unlikable and the plot will always stall.

Y'all get off my loving land, y'hear?

I want to combine a clapping gif with the guy chewing hay, I think.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Is this the guy who animates those Red Bull commercials?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

• Locked thread