Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What the gently caress would a middle ground compromise even be in this situation? Should the kid be half-vaccinated?

The baby gets it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Venom Snake posted:

Over the long game yeah most nations know they can't beat us, but many have plans to deal with isolated incursions. Only nations that honestly think they could go head to head with us is Russia and China, and even china admits they have such a piss poor navy they would never be able to establish naval dominance.

What are you talking about, there are no navies in the board game Risk, just little men and cannons.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

pwn posted:

ME AM PLAY GOD!

Is it that time of year in the media cycle already? Did we already get a "Future AI overlords might become a reality" article? Hear me out, Buzzfeed Journalists, What if there was AI overlord future combined with Zombie Future. Think of the mondo clicks.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

loquacius posted:

ftfy

As said earlier: it's an old joke and I'm sick of it

I sincerely hate Terminator 2, and it's because of that joke. I'm with you.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Xenochrist posted:

But there's only one B in his name.

Jeb Bush is redundant. His nickname should've been Je Bush. :colbert:

Or just Jeb, no last name.

I heard JEB Bush forgot his Pin Number, at the ATM Machine.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

loquacius posted:

This comic was just put up on The Nib; I quite like it

It was my understanding than King Louis XVI was actually too reasonable, and kind of just went along with whatever... Shouldn't we be pointing fingers at the jacobins and the girondins? Get it together the nib!

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

If Ideal Boy does something bad is it good? Help!

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Broken Loose posted:

Holy poo poo, I never saw the housing bubble comic. You'd think maybe Allie would reel it in after being so incredibly wrong about that before ranting about how there won't be a recession.

There's a big argument that due to rentier capitalism/housing bubble stuff in active economies is hurting the national GDP. You think we'd hear more about it, but I guess most people aren't in SF or NYC.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Are you supposed to tip gas station attendants?

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Deep Hurting posted:

Neither option is likely to be better than mediocre: One option seems to use liberalism as a facade for troubling, right wing philosophies only slightly less conservative than the openly anti-science option which refuses to change a formula that hasn't done audiences any good for over two decades. Luckily, there is a third, much better option available, with a genuinely-progressive message at its core: Bernie "Fury Road" Sanders. A good movie. A good candidate for President. A Good Cartoon.

This is extra bad because , isn't Tomorrowland some sort of barely disguised Brad Bird Libertarian parable?

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Ralepozozaxe posted:

To a libertarian, everything you like is a libertarian parable.

I think it might actually supposed to be though? But I could be wrong...I'm not some kind of Libertarian-Whisperer.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

there wolf posted:

Well it's mostly just anti-fascism with the anarchist elements wrapped up in the fight against the state more than presented as an alternate form of government all together. Anyone who feels government power stems from the public and the public has every right to take it away is going to be sympathetic of that, and that's pretty much everyone with any kind of anti-authoritarian ideology, be it the authority of the ruling class for communists, or the authority of the state for libertarians and anarchists.

What about the weird Randian like.. "Special people are better" thing, going on? And regular people just kinda suck...maybe I mean Objectivist and not Libertarian. I don't know. There was a giant Sad Ball making people pessimistic.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

there wolf posted:

I don't remember either of those, but it's been a while since I've seen the film... are you sure you're not thinking of stuff from the comic? Ball of Sadness sounds like the sort of thing that would have been super heavy-handed in the film and thus hard to forget. Or wait... was there some kind of mind control thing along with the radio trucks spying on everyone? Are you just loving with me as some sort of meta-commentary on the themes unreliable information and general paranoia that are key to the film and comic?

I was really confused for a second, but I think we're talking about different movies. I was talking about Tomorrowland.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Is there anyway to read this other than that dumb Duck is a dinosaur with tiny pea brain? I love how the duck is just standing there stupidly next to a dinosaur, and everyone knows birds are dinosaurs....I have zero idea what this is a reference to otherwise...

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Shugojin posted:

The reading is "Greece should have deployed austerity a long time ago".

Ramirez ignores that austerity is terrible for countries and their people, because it lets countries make payments to credit agencies who are worse than satan and also Ramirez' s employers

But great for international banks and investors. Gotta get your ROI even if you destroy the lives of an entire country.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Since it's become Scrooge McDuck Hour.. those old Carl Barks Comics are some amazing craftsmanship, comics-wise.. A lot of the hacks in the thread could learn a thing or 20 from ol' Uncle Scrooge.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Chimera-gui posted:

Amateur work, amateur level intelligence courtesy of DeviantArt nitwit doctirderp:

It's weird how Bernie is the new Ron Paul. Times are a changin.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Wildeyes posted:

Occasional Some Gizmo comics or no, Two Bulls is one of the only cartoonists I genuinely enjoy reading in this thread. And even his Some Gizmo comics provide palefaces like me some insight into tribal culture/social dynamics (which I would otherwise know nothing about), so they're not a total waste of time.

Yeah, I mean, I could understand how the "before it was better" mentality might have difference nuance coming from native american culture... But I agree, I'd still like to see Twobulls even if some of those comics are stinkers. Insight into anything that isn't middle aged angry white men is interesting.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/hitchbot-was-a-literal-pile-of-trash-and-got-what-it-de-1721850503

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I dont know posted:

Victim blaming at it's finest. How do you sleep at night?

Look. it said San Francisco Or Bust on the dumb thing. It literally offered to be busted. Check mate. :colbert:

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

colonel_korn posted:

THE EPIC SAGA CONTINUES!

I can only imagine how awful that listserv post is. There's also something funny about old politoon dudes using a listserv.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

snakeandbake posted:

death to mike lester for this terrible terrible piece of garbage

This is kinda funny. Sure, lets live in a world where citizenship isn't a right.. maybe something only the most wealthy people can afford. If only there were a way to further divide the rich from the poor.

I had no idea Lester was a Left Wing Radical Accelerationist.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

loquacius posted:

Kasich (governor of Ohio) is running for president. He has said that he would abolish teachers' lounges because they only serve as a place for teachers to laze around and complain.

This is funny to me because my entire stereotype of Ohio is people who love to complain. My entire experience of Ohio was people either bragging about how mediocre Ohio is (a weird thing to take pride in), or just ceaseless complaining about any task they had to do. I really think it's part of Ohio culture or something.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Fuckin telekinetic bandito drug lords YOU ARE WHAT MAKES AMERICA BAD

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Seriously, if you ever want to see an insane display of Australian racism, just whisper the word 'abbo' near one. Even if they know you're baiting them, they'll still end up ranting for hours.

Same but Canadians and First Peoples... . .. Or Quebecois to Anglophone Canadians. At least that is my anecdotal experience. It's like, perfectly polite nice people suddenly tear off their own face and start howling.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

alnilam posted:

Also voting for e.g. Bernie even if you believe he won't win tells the mainstream dems that a portion of their base finds them too conservative. They analyze their constituents as demographics and en masse, so you might as well try to influence them in the same way.

That's honestly how I see my power as a voter, much more so than actually considering the victory or loss of the person I voted for, since most politicians in office are center-right pieces of poo poo anyway.

Yeah, exactly this. I'm not a big bernie fan, but given even the democrats seem right of center, it's a good enough reason for me to vote for him in the primaries.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I like how FOIL sounds like an organization of bumbling villains from a Saturday morning cartoon show.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Just how many disingenuous "gosh these gun free signs sure don't work" cartoons are there. I feel like there is no way to read them other than "yeah if those signs don't work maybe we ought to restrict guns more heavily"

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

vyelkin posted:

It turns out that When the Prime Minister Does It, It's Not Illegal.

aka turns out 90% of Canadian governance was just according to convention with no actual rules or laws saying what you can and can't do and then we elected someone who didn't give a poo poo about convention and did whatever the gently caress he wanted and then we realized that there are actually no checks on the power of the prime minister's office

This profoundly fits every Canadian stereotype I have, as well as explaining the problems Canada has. Thank you.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Broken Loose posted:

An... unironically good Ted Rall? What the hell? The perspective isn't even terribly hosed up or anything.

The perspective isn't messed up because he doesn't use any. It's completely flat.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

The conservative adoration of Putin never fails to blow my mind. Is there any sort of liberal equivalent to this phenomenon of idealizing something you'd otherwise hate in order to get one over on your 'opponent'?

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Geostomp posted:

I don't get that more than a decade of military quagmire in the region has failed to convince some people that we can't just bomb our problems away. Is the potential for pointless dick-waving speeches just too much for their insecurities to pass up?

Because there is a lot of money to be made in running things into the ground.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I mean, rich people have a lot of influence, and if you suck up to them, maybe you'll get a few crumbs.This is pretty much ingrained in the psyche of the anglophone world.Thanks, English Class System.

Most people have no concept of how wealthy the rich actually are. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people in this thread lowball the kind of insane wealth the actual elite have. The republican party has done a great job of fear mongering to encourage its relatively poor base to vote against their own self-interest. For a lot of these people, they literally think Democrats want to swoop in and steal what little disposable income they have in their lives. It doesn't help that a lot of Americans are feeling that squeeze for numerous other reasons, already. The problem is, pooling tax dollars to provide good public services makes everyone's lives better, except probably the rich.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

WarpedNaba posted:

Gonna play Devil's Advocate here and say: Yes, actually, that is a valid concern. Prince Phillip has a rep for that poo poo.

They literally call office officials in their state office 'Mandarins', so you know...

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Der Waffle Mous posted:

No there's a lot of that, too.

But yeah it tends to get brought up as a "well you weren't always here so..." attempt at delegitimizing natives.

Yeah, on top of it you can see people go from "well you aren't REALLY native because bla bla bla" to "gently caress Off We're Full" in a blink of the eye. This kind of stuff happens within a single generation of human politics much less thousand of years.

One of the worst ones I've heard is "You FLEW here, we GREW here." (this was an extremely white person complaining about people moving to Seattle).

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Reaganomicon posted:

I know this was a couple pages back, but god.

This cartoon is literally saying that the land bridge theory for the peopling of the americas, which is what loving happened (there might have also been some coastal migrations along the western coasts of the continents, and there was a more recent peopling only a couple thousand years ago that became the inuits), is inferior to native creation myths. All of the genetic/morphological/archaelogical evidence overwhelmingly points to a central asian origin for native americans but no, the rain god actually formed the first humans out of maize dough, or whatever.

I try to be respectful of religious beliefs, but this is just ignoring reality because it's inconvenient or makes you uncomfortable or because white people came up with it. I also really hate NAGPRA but that's for a different thread.

Sounds like someone is really mad they weren't born from a magic world egg.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Gyre posted:

The skulls wanting to go home is just the icing on the cake for me. I can't stand people thinking that 14,000 year old human remains should be hidden away from science because of the religious beliefs of today's people, no matter if you're related to them. Hell, 99% of humanity's ancestors would probably be utterly terrified by the idea what someone is digging up their bones and disturbing their grave, but how are we supposed to learn anything if we let religion control what we can and cannot do in science?

The idea that it's just golly-gosh science, and not Yet Another Land Grab is tough to swallow. If you dig up the bones, suddenly there is less of a 'claim' on the land. I can understand a group of people wanting to protect what's left. without a bunch of people coming in, digging everything up and insisting it's 'uh totally for uh..science. lol'.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Monaghan posted:

The idea that archaeologists are digging up the bones just to discredit land claims seems pretty ridiculous.

It's also about making claims to the bones. Like the blanket statement 'for science' makes it ok.

I mean look at the British Museum.... it's cool and all but it's basically just dudes going around taking stuff from other people and going 'yeah uh..gently caress off'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

CampingCarl posted:

Not really sure why the elephant is there.

Oh wow, I didn't know Dees was a One Piece fan. Glad to see he's keeping up with the latest arc.

• Locked thread