Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Happy 2015 you masochists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Graeme MacKay is yet to post any cartoons in the new year. But... Have you ever wanted sweet real life political cartoon merchandise? Have you ever wanted a Teddy Roosevelt throw pillow?

Or a mug with Stephen Harper, Crusader King on it?

Or an iPhone case with a stylized version of Canadian Parliamentary Sergeant-at-Arms Kevin Vickers on it?

Well, you're in luck, because those are all things you can buy, technically. I'm not linking his actual store because this isn't an advertisement and he's not exactly hard to find if you really want. Post some new cartoons Graeme! Just please not lovely ones.

For the record, these are the original cartoons he took those images from:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Knowing Muir, I'm pretty sure "Buzz off" at the end is supposed to also be a joke about how Skye has a vibrator instead of a man, in addition to continuing the incredibly stupid bee theme.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

I'll ask again but why do all the British cartoonists use Bell's caricatures? It's kind of weird.

They don't all use them. This one, for example, is just a normal cartoon drawing of the party leaders:

Martin Rowson and Steve Bell both work for the Guardian and both use similar caricature styles, and they're very good and pretty influential so others probably either consciously or subconsciously draw important figures in similar ways.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Canada's terrible Veteran's Affairs Minister got booted (and replaced with a Canadian Forces veteran no less, to head off opposition talking points about how much the ruling Conservatives bungled the entire VA debacle heading into an election year) and shuffled off to a junior ministerial posting with the Ministry of Defence that includes a bunch of smaller responsibilities like information security and Arctic sovereignty.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

:qq: "How dare Obama be as obstructionist as we were for the last four years!!" :qq:

Nonsense, this is an election year--Canada edition. Stephen Harper is starting to actually respond to popular pressure about things now that he has another election to think about. It's only a matter of time before the sweater vests and kittens, says MacKay.

For reference:

Literally a promotional picture taken by our Prime Minister.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

It's a centipede with a ribbon on it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
MacKay's contribution:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Ruben Bolling has posted two responses to the shootings. One is new:

and one is a reprint from 1999, originally drawn about the Kevin Smith movie Dogma:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

Same reason for the historical hatred of the Jews, minority that didn't assimilate to the culture makes it easy to scapegoat them for when there are problems.

Also, the fact that they've been marginalized for centuries means that a lot of stereotypes about poverty get associated with them, like transience, stealing, and other crime.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

A Thing Happened.

Bill Cosby is doing shows in Canada right now and predictably getting a mixed response including a lot of protesters and half-empty venues (with the other half often full of supportive fans). He's also been making jokes about how he's a rapist, including telling a woman at one of his shows that it's dangerous to drink around him.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Canada's first prime minister, Sir John A. MacDonald, turned 200. By any standard nowadays he would be considered a racist, colonialist, alcoholic shithead, so naturally there's a large movement to overlook all that by judging him according to the standards of his own time/whitewashing Canada's horrible early history because he's Canada's version of George Washington and (perhaps more importantly) was a Big C Conservative so our current Conservatives claim him as one of their own.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

You can bet that if he had gone over, all these cartoons would just be how much of an attention-seeker he is, or how he just went over there to golf.

There are literally cartoons about how Obama is on the side of the people gunning down journalists. I'm surprised one of the McCoys hasn't published a cartoon of Obama shooting cartoonists himself while saying "Just making sure there are no survivors." It's ridiculous how much they hate him.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Canada's economy and government is was propped up by high oil prices that made Albertan tar sand profitable. Now it's no longer profitable and Canada's worst province and worst government are feeling the pain.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Two city employees in Hamilton were fired for bringing pot brownies to work at a public works site and sharing them with an unknowing coworker, who had an "adverse reaction" and had to be taken to the hospital (he recovered).

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Benly posted:

The most generous interpretation I've been able to manage to put together of Latuff is that he thinks antisemitism isn't a real problem that exists anymore and is now a term wholly used by deployers of the "antisemitism card" in defense of Israel.

Now, to be fair, this interpretation makes him uninformed and probably well-meaning rather than malicious, but on the other hand we've got plenty of people who think the same thing about racism and we don't give them a pass.

I think there's a more generous interpretation which is that Latuff is very anti-Israel and sees Israel using lots of Jewish imagery (since it is openly a Jewish state, after all) and so is not above using the same Jewish imagery in his attacks on Israel. The problem arises when Latuff is depicting real things like the Israeli logo used on fighter jets being a Star of David, since that's also part of the flag. Latuff might draw an Israeli jet bombing some Palestinian kids, and put a prominent Star of David on the plane since a) that's the logo used by the Israeli Air Force itself; and b) it's an easy way to show his readers that it's an Israeli plane. Latuff's cartoonish style often leads to exaggerations in these depictions, like making the Star of David bigger than it would be on a real plane.

The problem is that this is the exact same technique used by actual anti-Semitic artists, who might draw a very similar image but with the intent of showing "The Jews are killing children" rather than "Israel is killing children". Just look at Dees, who slaps blue Stars of David on everything to show that really it's the Jews who are controlling the media or whatever.

Latuff has extreme opinions about Israel, but I don't think I've ever seen a cartoon of his that I would call anti-Semitic, because his cartoons are pretty uniformly aimed at the state of Israel rather than the Jewish people. His Israeli bad guys are big and tough but wear Israeli military uniforms, or are caricatures of actual Israeli politicians. When he draws ordinary Jewish citizens he's normally drawing them in a good light to show the similarities between them and Palestinians in order to try and get people to realize that they're all the same. He criticizes the state and military of Israel (which, to be honest, should be allowed of any state even if it is an overtly Jewish one) but I don't recall him criticizing the Jewish people of Israel. I'm pretty sure his opinion on them is the same as his opinion on the people of any other Western state.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Okay this is really bad, I hadn't seen this before. I think his cartoons have gotten more nuanced since 2001 though.

Has he ever addressed older cartoons like this about antisemitism the way he addressed his bad cartoon about feminism?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Target is closing in Canada after a few years of failing to establish a niche with consumers.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Les Dessins Politiques 2015: Nous ne traitons pas

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Post 9-11 User posted:

Did he mean to juxtapose reactions to a cartoon with (possible) reactions to police murdering people in public?

How are you getting that from this image? Did you miss the part where the broken window is a mosque?

The implication is that both the gunmen who shot up Charlie Hebdo and the people who attacked mosques and other Islamic places afterwards in revenge are extremists, who see the world in black and white rather than shades of grey. That's all.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

(second one isn't actually political but relevant to this thread because of that Edison cartoon)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Portals posted:

Muir is turning more and more into :mrapig: every day.

Muir disproves evolution by showing us that dinosaurs still exist. Just look at that talon in the second panel.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

I love this cartoon.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I'm really confused, what's going on here?

The Sun tabloid in Britain (a terrible newspaper and the flagship of Rupert Murdoch's awful empire) has for decades included a picture of a topless model on its third page (i.e. the one you see as soon as you open the front cover). They recently announced they're going to stop doing that (because it's terrible). That tweet is really confusing though, maybe they have decided to keep doing it after all?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bloodnose posted:

gently caress off, Ramirez. They're all so frustrated that, despite their best efforts, America under Obama is producing some pretty nice-looking figures and he had a lot of good news to report in the State of the Union.

No you see, Obama's corrupt bureaucrats fudged all those numbers, and they don't account for the real unemployment rate, and Obama lied about everything, and all the good stuff is because of the Republican Congress anyway, and furthermore pig balls.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fojar38 posted:

I reverse image searched it and the context is an article written by a former Australian Prime Minister about how Australia should be strategically independent from the United States and cited Canada as an example because Canada didn't participate in the Iraq War. This was an odd comparison to make because Canada is probably more strategically integrated with the US than any other country, making the article look like a false dichotomy.

This is pretty dumb and shows the person doesn't know much about Canada. We didn't go into Iraq for political reasons, yes, but to compensate we increased our commitment to the war in Afghanistan right as the US was invading Iraq, thus freeing up an equivalent number of US troops as we would have been able to send in the first place. It was very much planned that way because politically Afghanistan was a much easier sell for the Canadian public but the end result was virtually identical. That being said, it didn't stop our then-PM from making a big show of how he was able to defy the US and prove Canadian sovereignty, while simultaneously giving the US what they basically wanted anyway.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Xander77 posted:

That seems... like a really astute political move?

It was. That being said, it is in no way a representation of how Canada is strategically independent from the US.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

A Marxist Cartoon.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Joni Ernst's claim to fame is relieving hogs of their balls.

Specifically, this ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9Y24MFOfFU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Israel's Future

Mr. Shuldig consults his crystal ball.
Labels: Asia, China, Eurasia, Europe, India, Israel, Japan, Shuldig, South Korea

Hahaha loving "Eurabia" in two thousand and fifteen, now I've seen everything.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

I think the thread's analysis of this cartoon missed that it is probably also a reference to Tinsley's stupid essay about how much he hated that newscaster telling Child Tinsley that all of America was responsible for shooting Martin Luther King, since MLK Day just passed.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
"equal pay for so-called equal work"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Gilganixon posted:

As if it matters, everyone's still running with it anyway. If you could argue against austerity with logic its inability to do anything but make almost everyone really poor should have killed it off ages ago.

To be fair to austerity, there are very, very occasionally times when it is a good idea. If you have one country that is in a huge fiscal crisis (like, an actual fiscal crisis and not some bullshit "oh no our deficit is 0.5% of GDP, quick cut everything in the budget by 50%" crisis) and unable to get out of it, but the rest of the world is booming and has strong economic growth, in some circumstances an austerity program for that country can be a good idea (not necessarily is a good idea, but can be if you consider solving the fiscal crisis to be the #1 priority for whatever reason).

Trying to have every developed country in the world run an austerity program at the same time during a recession is loving moronic.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Chewbaccanator posted:

I guess the problem is more about the precendent that it will set regarding debt inside the EU, as well as giving a big gently caress you to Germany, which is a big no-no.

The ECB wanted to increase spending if I'm not mistaken anyway, right?

The ECB is beginning a round of quantitative easing to the tune of 60 billion euros a month until further notice in order to pump money into the European economy and avoid a deflationary spiral. There are worse ways to deal with low growth (austerity being one of them) but there are also better ways to deal with it, like using that massive amount of money on meaningful investments in government programs and projects rather than just handing it all to banks and hoping they do the rest for you.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Darkman Fanpage posted:

That's not how apartheid works.

Kirschen is desperate to show that it's those dastardly Muslims who are committing apartheid, and not Good Wholesome Israel.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't even get the logic behind this one. Veterans have gotten injured during wars so you have no right to ever want a higher standard of living? How the hell are those two things even related?

Well, you see, if we treat soldiers and veterans like poo poo and they're ostensibly the most respected social group in our society, then the logical conclusion is that we should treat everyone else even worse, rather than treating soldiers and veterans better.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

Remember Russia? It’s still doomed.
The Washington Post
Matt O'Brien
January 27, 2015

quote:

President Obama might have a future as a credit rating analyst. During his State of the Union, you might remember, he took a victory lap of sorts when he declared that, as the price of its aggression, Russia's economy was "in tatters." Well, S&P agrees: the rating agency just downgraded Russia to junk.

quote:

Now, normally I wouldn't pay any attention to what a credit rating agency says about a government. That's just, like, their opinion, man, and often a poor one at that. But this time is, well, different, because if Russia is rated junk, then its companies will be too—which will increase the borrowing costs on their existing debt. It could also trigger earlier bond repayments, which, together with the higher interest rates, could, according to one official, cost them as much as $20 to $30 billion.

quote:

And that's $20 to $30 billion it really can't afford. Russia, as I've said before, doesn't have an economy so much as an oil-exporting business that subsidizes everything else. But it can't subsidize much when prices are only $50-a-barrel. That leaves Russia in a world of bad, worse, and Dostoevskian choices. Cheaper oil, you see, means that Russian companies have fewer dollars to turn into rubles, which is just another way of saying that there's less demand for rubles—so its price is falling. But it can't fall too much or Russian companies, who have a lot of dollar debts they can't roll over due to Western sanctions, won't be able to pay back what they owe. Even worse, Russia banks could face a run on their foreign currency holdings, as people try to turn rubles they think will lose value into dollars that won't.

quote:

Russia can't wake up from this economic nightmare, though, because they're not asleep. This is their reality. After falling in almost perfect tandem with oil for most of the year, the ruble started free falling in December. In under a week, it went from 55 to 75 rubles per dollar—a 36 percent decline—and the panic got so bad that the bank run turned into an Apple and Ikea run. People decided that if they couldn't ditch their rubles for dollars, then they'd settle for the latest smartphones and assemble-it-yourself furniture instead.

quote:

Faced with this catastrophic loss of confidence in their currency, Russia did the only thing it could do: everything. First, it jacked up interest rates from 10.5 to 17 percent to try to get people to hold their money in rubles that would pay them a lot of interest rather than dollars that wouldn't. Then it started spending its $400 billion-ish war chest of reserves to prop up the ruble directly. And when that wasn't enough, it, well, "convinced" exporters to sell their dollars for rubles and made oligarchs bring their overseas money home to pay taxes. In Putin's Russia, this counted as kinder, gentler capital controls. After all, as one official explained, "there were no threats of sending anyone to Siberia."

quote:

The result, as you can see below, was a short-lived ruble rally that has since dissipated. The problem, as Lars Christensen of Danske Bank told me, is that the ruble "should" be worth 75 per dollar as long as oil is around $50-a-barrel. What makes that even trickier, though, is that a currency doesn't fall to its fair value, but rather to the point at which it's expected to move up to its fair value. Markets overshoot, in other words, because nobody wants to buy rubles right before they hit bottom. That means, absent Russian intervention, the ruble would probably be trading around 80 or 85 per dollar, and maybe even lower.

quote:

So the Russian government can keep spending its dollars and forcing its companies to do so too, but whatever boost the ruble gets will fade away as long as its fundamentals are weak. Low oil prices, you see, are like gravity pulling the ruble down. It just the S&P downgrade to remind everyone of that, as the ruble fell another 7.5 percent on Monday.

quote:

It's an economic catch-22 called "Not Enough Dollars." Russia, you see, hasn't had to just bail out the ruble. It's also had to bail out its banks, including, it looks like, another one on Monday, that have been hit hard by the ruble's decline and declining earnings. And, after it made its companies sell their dollars, it's had to bail them out with new dollars too, so they can pay back their dollar debts, a financial shell game meant to hide how much of its reserves the government is really spending. Finally, though, the government might have to bail itself out. Its budget could go from surplus to deficit now that oil revenues have halved, and it can't borrow what it needs because sanctions have cut it off from international credit markets. It's no wonder, then, that Russia's reserves are already down to $379 billion from $414 billion a few weeks ago. That's a pretty high burn rate.

quote:

And it's only going to get worse. Russia's economy, its central bank says, will shrink 4.5 to 4.7 percent this year as long as oil stays at $60-a-barrel. It's under $50-a-barrel now. And its sky-high interest rates will only add to that by keeping people from borrowing. So will its oil-induced austerity, as the government announced it will cut all non-defense spending by 10 percent. But the biggest negative for them, aside from still-cheap oil, is that the EU is getting ready to introduce new sanctions after Russian-backed rebels attacked again in Ukraine. That'll put even more pressure on Russia's companies to pay back what they owe, which isn't easy when the collapsing ruble is making foreign currency debts more expensive and the collapsing economy is making the rest more expensive too by crushing earnings.

quote:

Russia, in other words, is doomed as long as oil is cheap and sanctions are in place. It could survive either alone. But together, they destroy Russia's economy and its ability to borrow to cover that up. And unlike, say, 2008, when oil prices rebounded rather quickly, this crisis could last awhile. After all, if you think Putin is going to back down in Ukraine anytime soon, well, think again: he's already pushed pro-peace oligarchs who've lost a lot of money the past year to his outer circle, if that.

quote:

The government, for its part, is trying to put a brave face on this bleak economic picture. One Kremlin official went so far as to say that the Russian people are prepared to "eat less" to support Putin. Maybe that's why Putin doesn't allow real elections—because that's not much of a slogan.

quote:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/01/27/remember-russia-its-still-doomed/?tid=sm_fb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Markovnikov posted:

Still, I don't think sanctions on their own would have done that much. It's mostly the price of oil that is loving them up. Which if the analysis I've read is accurate, actually started when the US started producing oil again from fracking and such, causing the petrostates to panic and dump oil into the market. So, uh, good indirect job America.

I've read at least one analysis that says the US and the Saudis (good allies, don't forget) may be conspiring to drop the price of oil to hurt Russia. It hurts the US too because fracking is so expensive, but it hurts Russia way, way more.

• Locked thread