Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I have a scifi pbta game I've been working on for awhile, I have it in pre alpha and am teaching myself how to do everything.

It's fun and frustrating and cool.
Shoutout to madadric "misfits and spaceships" yo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Nobody...calls me...an Owlbear.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
*Rolls 2d6 for Arcane Art and gets a 10+, the group stares uncomprehendingly*

"I, uh...I guess you're not ready for that yet...but uh...your kids are gonna love it."

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Wait, character gen is less complex than a differential equation? That's a baby's game!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Thief asks what the best way to get into the city undetected is. GM responds:
"Sneak, McFly!"

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I don't actually like anime, like...at all.
It's me, I'm the grognard.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Kai Tave posted:

You know how video game journalism is basically a vapid wasteland of paid shills, clickbait, and meandering, self-indulgent editorials? I imagine that RPG journalism would, if anything, make video game journalism look like hard-hitting reporting by comparison. "Storygames: Threat or Menace?"

Yeah, it's all blogs, everyone has a blog.

There are approx. 3 rpg blogs for every 1 person who actually plays rpgs. Which is admittedly better than youtube vloggers because at least a blog doesn't subject me to a pasty neckbeard mumbling and wheezing into his headset mic about dissociated storygames on a miss and please check out my five other blogs about elfgames.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Gasperkun posted:

I follow somebody on G+ named Chris Helton (of the Dorkland! blog) who started writing RPG articles/journalism type stuff for Bleeding Cool last year I think it was. His writing seems pretty fair and I haven't noticed a major political slant that bothers me one way or another in his articles. On Dorkland! he has done stuff like interviews with Kickstarter creators and things like that.

Dude's not too bad so long as you can refrain from posting anything that can be described using the letters S and J and W, in that particular order, anywhere he can see it.

But it's not like that's an uncommon thing among elfgamers so...

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Libertad! posted:

But you still like martials getting nice things, right? If so, we're still cool.

Totally. Bruce Lee is king of muscle wizatds, I'm just not down with big eyes and spiky hair

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Illvillainy posted:

Wait a munite, what every setting needs is badly thought out PbtA rules!

FTFY

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm a crack shot at this game.

*Rolls a natural 20*

Wait, you have to use dice? It's like a baby's toy!

Error 404 posted:

Wait, character gen is less complex than a differential equation? That's a baby's game!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

clockworkjoe posted:

I'm working on a gumshoe system horror game and one scenario is set inside a midwestern hotel by the highway. The characters are trapped in it, so I need to map it out entirely. Finding floor plans is one thing, but figuring out what a 150 room hotel would have in its basement is another - laundry facilities, a transformer, but what else?

An industrial boiler for the heating of the building and heating of water. This would be a pretty big piece of machinery.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Reene posted:

For the past month or so I've been fending off a dude that has no sense of when it is and isn't okay to touch somebody. Like he'll walk up behind me and hug me or pat my head and poo poo. He also doesn't appear to bathe/groom much, wears sweatpants, and is a brony.

Last Friday I struck up a convo with a guy who seemed cool and said I should give me his number so he could let me know when some shows were going to be playing in his neighborhood. I should have spotted this flimsy pretext but several days, many texts inviting me to "pajama parties" and a phone call later the dude is terminally not understanding that I don't want to have sex with him and indeed would very much like to be left alone.

I just wanted to make friends :negative:
Please tell me this isn't guardian games. :(

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Vorchas own.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Suleman posted:

I'm not entirely sure which thread I should ask this is okay.

My friend is very interested in playing a Mass Effect pen and paper game. I haven't been able to find an official game for it, but what homebrew games/add-ons have been made for it? Are they any good? Even just a few links would do.

Friend and fellow goon madadric has a space hack ( heavily mass effect inspired) of the apocalypse world game.

Follow the quote, and a few pages before this, someone posted mass effect apocalypse, a different apocalypse world hack that specifically uses mass effect names, races, and powers

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Suleman posted:

Thank you very much! I'll pass these on to her.

Groovy.
I think madadric's game is mostly standalone, but the other is just a reskin abd your friend would need the apocalypse world rules to understand it.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

I don't get it.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I get it now.

:negative:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Len posted:

Oh god I forgot that was a thing. :negative:

Dare I ask?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

paradoxGentleman posted:

Grizzled war veterans shooting down demonic invaders long enough to allow untrained, barely armored exorcists to complete their rituals and seal off a portal to Hell.
Balancing your resources so that, if a werefolf pack starts assaulting people in the Black Forest, Germany, you can afford to arm them with silver bullets.
A dragon and its brood swooping down on Wall Street.

I see the appeal.

So basically a non-sucky Hellgate:London? :getin:

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 28, 2015

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Night10194 posted:

A non-sucky Hellgate: London would be a wonderful thing.

I wasn't being sarcastic, I'm 120% on-board with this idea.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Well I'll be damned, catch you fuckers on the flip side...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Talkc posted:

Im in an awkward dillema with my superhero campaign. Ive sorta fallen into a trap of making too many characters, without a lot of substance to them. To top it off, i have a bad head for FATE Core. So ive been trying to come up with superhero type things that would work for the campaign, but when it actually comes to the mechanics i pretty much fumble them.

Any advice for salvaging a bad run on a campaign?

I mean i have a long history of running stuff like DND, 13th age, and stuff like that with no problem. But when it comes to narrative games like dungeon world and fate, i always have a harder time. And its not that im not telling a decent story. Its more that i keep struggling to merge the narrative mechanics with the story im telling.

So, look at your characters through the lens of games you are familiar with.
If you have too many NPCs, then cut a few, but then why not give them backgrounds and an OUT just like 13A?
it can help you conceptualize your characters, and then it's just another step or two to turn a background and/or OUT into a couple aspects and maybe a stunt or two.

Edit: This vvvvv

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 31, 2015

• Locked thread