Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Tusen Takk posted:

iPhone superiority

iPhones are misrebles pieces of poo poo. Anything BUT Apple in this house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

sarcastx posted:

Hybrid Hypercar question:

Take the P1; theoretically between the gas (727hp) and electric (176hp) motors, it has 903hp. But what I don't understand is that this figure is the combined output of both motors; and while you can certainly top up your gas tank once you've run it dry, there's no quick or convenient way to recharge the electric battery - you can plug it in - but the charging system will take a long time - or you'd need to run the car on gas only for long enough to charge the battery back up. Is there something I'm missing here? I mean, if you're at a racetrack, I wouldn't think regenerative braking would be enough that you could say you had a 903hp car all day - and if you're recharging using the motor as a generator, you don't even have a 727hp car either, because you're losing power charging the battery.

It's a wank that gives hypercars "green" credentials while being nothing of the sort.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

meatpimp posted:

In this thread: Pussies complaining about the weather where they live, even though it's entirely normal for where they live.

Edit: Just like the weatherman on the news last night "We haven't seen weather this cold since last January." Oh, really? We haven't seen Winter weather since last Winter? Go on...

All those temeratures well below 0C and people wonder why I prefer a place that feels like nuclear fire in summer. Cold? gently caress that!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Can you add nitros to these "video cards" to make the frame rates better? What about forced induction?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Cakefool posted:

Shut up nerds.

The last time i built a pc was 15 years ago, i don't remember any of the specs. It'd be nice to have a better speed machine to play KSP but then I'd spend too long on that.

I literally dont care what specs my PC at work is anymore, even three years after build it's just a monster and still blazes no matter how many VM's I'm running. TBH the work laptop is more impressive as it is just insane for something portable. Also once I started to run SSD's speed basically became worthless to think about. The work PC is now using Samsung 850 Evos and that's been simply the end of any performance "complaints".

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Terrible Robot posted:

Ask me about the time I had to wipe liquefied poo poo off the toilet paper dispenser, which sits at least a foot and a half above the top of the bowl and two feet to the left of the toilet.

HOW

As a former shitter cleaner, how in the name of the Lord people can poo poo anywhere BUT the bowl is beyond me. It always scared me when walking into a bathroom you can feel the heat of a toilet that has been covered in a river of poo poo. And then the smell.

At that point I'd go look for a hose and a godawful load of bleach.

TBH shitter cleaning is a very good paying job if you can stomach seeing how revolting some humans are when they dont care where they poo poo.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Why on earth do you want Windows NT 3.1?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

...what? Its a DEC/HP system.

Dave Cutler wrote VMS originally and that's where Windows NT kernel came from when he went to Microsoft. The 3.1/3.5 kernels basically are VMS with some principles of OS/2 thrown in. Not many know that some VMS applications would run quite fine on 3.1 and 3.5, moreso on the Alpha platform. A lot of that design principle and even some code still survive in the latest NT kernel.

Hence the "joke" :)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Winter is when Arizona is at its best.

What the ever living gently caress did you do to get that??

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

HotCanadianChick posted:

Probated Viggen yet again, would be my guess. Seems he's off his meds again.

Ooooooh, right. That would be counted as mod sass too?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Never thought I'd read a few pages about dick cutting on AI.

Hung over catte

Bitch to climb, unbelieveable amount of fun everywhere else. I think I want a fat bike :D

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

meltie posted:

Oh my God. Tell me more :o:

Heavy as all gently caress (for a bike), but you can tip it into a corner at just about any speed you can get it up to. Rolls over drat near anything. Comfy. Really handles surprisingly well. Also you can get major air time and it's "Yeah? And?". The looser the surface, the better it goes.

An absolute riot to ride and I had a huge poo poo eating grin. It seems like it should be slow but it isnt. It looks like it should be horrible to turn but that DEFINATLY is not the case. Those huge tyres also give it grip levels no MTB can match, so not only will it rip into a sweeping bank as hard or harder than a racing MTB, it will simply outstop anything on gravel. It's very much a love hate thing, at the test day I was at a few riders handed it back hating it, but the lineup got huge as more riders came back raving about how ridiculously good a fat bike is. Also really doesn't need suspension, the tyres do all the work anyway and I locked it out.

I wouldn't trade one in as a main MTB, it's simply too heavy and it's not as agile as a smaller bike. But I would see one as a perfect N+1.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Fo3 posted:

Just when I thought everything was going well, first the fuel pump problem, now centrelink cut off unemployment/sickness pay and healthcare to pay for treatment and stuff.
gently caress knows what I'm doing wrong with them, but there goes my plans.
The system is so hosed you have to be a professional at gaming the system to get anything out of them. I'm useless at it because I have never asked for help before.

My SO is saying the same thing - it's just loving retarded. And yet if you are a fat turd who did nothing to get her wealth, you can get billion dollar handouts without question for a dubious coal mine.

gently caress the LNP wiht a crowbar and their loving rear end in a top hat mining mates.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

meatpimp posted:

Gotcha. I assumed Australia would have a similar structure to the way America accommodates its original land occupiers.

Depending on where you live, it's actually considerably more difficult for the original land occupiers to gain any kind of benefit. There's a policy called the Intervention that is claimed policy to isolate welfare payments in the Northern Territory so the Aboriginals dont buy booze and ciggies / drugs. It of course doesnt work, it only makes life harder for them. The actual real problem is also of course a lack of services and jobs, the services are being withdrawn in many places due to "cost cutting", schooling is extremely limited and the jobs are usually either fly in / flyouts or 457 visas and illegal overstayers who fly in, mixed in with 3 month tourist visas. Thence you have a population who have no education, no jobs and no hope. Of course they are going to drink themselves to oblivion!

Now some programs that NGO's have done have targeted the real issues and have worked pretty well to get Aboriginal communities out of poverty and hopelessness. But also get this - the current LNP govt are DEFUNDING these NGO's and leaving no alternatives to the Intervention!

I might point out that the Intervention policies aren't outright targeted at Aborginals, but because they make the majority of the populations int he areas targeted, they are the ones who get bent over. If you are white and live in those communities you would be equally hit but the fact is that whites are more likely to be able to GTFO or get work with a better education.

It's honestly really hosed up and the withdrawal of funding for the NGO's is what really is appalling. Those organisations were making a real difference.

What really pisses me off about Tumblr SJW's is they poo poo on about "their" version of social justice, when you got actual hosed up things like the above going on and they don't give a poo poo about genuine injustice for a second. And the thing that really gets my hackles up is that actually doing something... like say language services for Aboriginal and Refugees is actually pretty easy to get into and also highly rewarding. I've done that and it was awesome - if somewhat occasionally hair raising when they tell the stories of how they got to Australia and what lead them to run - say an Afghan matter of factly telling of his escape from the Taliban and showing the place he was shot in the leg. Or an Iraqi man seeing a bunch of his relatives blown to bits by a car bomb. Or a Somali who hid in a shitter while knife weilding gangs are raping the poo poo out of his sister. These people are far more worthwhile than any number of fat fuckwit politicans or mining magnates.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Sardikar posted:

Just a question, I am in Brisbane but how did you generally get involved in volunteering to for language services? Sounds like a positive and worth while thing to do.

Refugee advocate services are a really good place to start. I'm not sure who best to contact in QLD unfortunalty - if you can stomach some of the more insane people the Greens will most likely know.

The way I got in was joining in a thing called Ride for Refugees and simply talking to a few people who pointed me in the right direction. Even if you cant do language services, refugee advocate NGO's always need volunteers.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

You Am I posted:

Wait, there's new Venture Bros?

Yep! Offically the finale of season 5 and also intros season 6 in the epilogue. About to watch it now :D

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The outside body work isnt awful, but yeah that car is so far gone. But yeah, lemons racer for sure. Or make it a rat rod.

When do we discuss the ending of the last venture brothers episode?

Those Jags are awful, stick a LS1 in it.

The special fro Venture Brothers was loving awesome. Season 6 is set up brilliantly

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

I thought they were ending VB? :ohdear:

Well we have another season at least :D

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

Remember that account someone opened in my name with Verizon?

Remember I was told it was taken care of?

Called their fraud department when I got home, they said everything looked like it'd been taken care of properly on their end, and that it would take 1-2 billing cycles for it to be fixed. "Just ignore the bills", which sounds like really sound advice. :rolleyes:

15 minutes later, I get a call from a bill collector for the account. :fuckoff:

So if it has been reported and accepted as fraud.... HOW the gently caress dont they just immediatly cancel it?

1 or two billing cycles my rear end, sit on the phone and go up the supervisor chain until it's just fixed. That's just not acceptible.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

We're not supposed to call people "retarded" now because it is also offensive.

We're gonna run out of usable insults the way things are going.

gently caress that noise, that really is SJW gone too far and besides, if I'm calling someone a retard you better drat well believe I want it to be offensive.

They used to call Down's Syndrome kids mongoloids here - Not sure if that was the case elsewhere. TBH I haven't heard that used as an insult or as a descriptor for I don't know how long...... Over 30 years I think?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Wrar posted:

I start a welding class next week. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

For a moment I thought you said wedding class.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I'm sitting outside in 27C "working" at a pub counter with a harbour in front with drink beside me. There's some quite fiiiiiiiiine ladies walking past in Sydney.

Today is a good day.

(At a co-worker's farewell, as one of the two main admins, I still have poo poo that has to be done but I cant think of a better place to do it)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Fucknag posted:

Dammit I commented on one of Rhyno's FB posts again. When will I learn?

144 replies and counting. :stare:

I'm still laughing my rear end off while watching pretty women walk by

You Am I posted:

What did/didn't we do?

Having a decent minimum wage apparently.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

And Skylines, that was the last straw it seems.

Hooooly poo poo, that Ralphus guy is a special kind of dumb. You can just tell he's a white knighting fedora wearing brony idiot two sentances in of his dribble

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Agreed. I'm enjoying though, you just know he's hard at work crafting his next post. Carefully cut and pasting sections from articles he's googled.

Once he's stopped whacking off to My Little Pony or underage Emma Watson pics.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Thw world just lost one big black catte. A very much loved Stig who instead of lingering as age rotted his organs, decided to greet the Grim Reaper of Cats on his own terms and attacked a car. Of course the car won but Stig was the very definition of a cat with 9 lives and he lived far FAR longer than he should have so while there is sorrow, there is still celebration that he had a much longer life than he should have as a kitten he was abandoned at a demolition site only to be caught and gaven a warm home. Let alone how he cheated death at least four more times in the ensuring years. No truer example of how tough Australian feral cat truly are. We're pretty certain he went out at the time he chose and finally allowed death to catch up with him.

Nearly 15 but always the cat that stopped me from doing something incredibly stupid years ago. If we live to be as cankerous and old as you did, we will have done well.

And now he's up there meowing the Gates down demanding to be fed.

RIP Stig, hope to see you one day many years in the future.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Jesus Christ, they said a black man in power needed to be put in his place. You can argue it all you want, they were just shy of saying he should be lynched.

Jesus.

Racists are complete loving idiots, Redditors are just loving idiots, MRA's are bigoted loving idiots, SJW's are racist privledged loving idiots, Tumblr's are stupendous loving idiots, Comic book nerds are Rainbow Sparkles loving idiots, pretty much everyone else is a lesser loving idiot to various degrees that can be vaguely tolerated.

Humanity has no hope. Blow it all up and let the cats take over.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

fjelltorsk posted:

I will not go quietly into the night

drat good attitude. Really hope you kick cancer's rear end.

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Far as I understand it GG had an involuntary AV change, commented on it, someone else changed it to a picture of a WRX, she mentioned her questionable legal problems with ownership due to familial troubles, Internet Tough guys happened and well then it got shut down.

Ooooooh, so that's why GG got the passive aggressive AV's. Charming.

Thank you for the well wishers re: Stig. I know it sounds kinda pathetic but that cat was a big part of my life and really hurts to lose him. Doesn't help today has been one loving disaster after another and draining the rest of my mental resiliance.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Phone posted:

Hey Aussie goons, how on point is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrFAOj8JVzo

It is 100% completely and depressingly accurate. Campbell Newman is genuinely that loving retarded and Queensland voters that loving dumb. That cola mine is indeed thant much of a loving disaster in the making and yes, they are literally going to dredge the poo poo out of the GBR and destroy a good percentabe of it so coal ships can get to Abbott Point.

We have in QLD and federally (QLD is Newman and Federal is Tony Abbott) two absolute fukwits who in all honestly make the worst Republicans look competent and not evil. Abbott is literally trying to put in a US style hospital system, gently caress up the enviroment, put in place the worst off the US college system, remove any safetynet, gently caress over refugees, kiss the rear end of the monarchy and it just goes on and on and on. It's honestly getting beyond satire how hilariously hosed up they are and just how much they are out to assfuck anyone who isnt a miner.

The QLD mob were elected with such a huge majority last election that it's almost impossible to see them lose on Saturday (The opposition literally were reduced to the point they could put the entire party in parliment in a station wagon) but at the least Newman is likely to lose hs seat and be booted. Abbott we're probably stuck with for another year but it's looking more like he's going to be met with baseball bats at the next election.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

rscott posted:

Tell me how being a resource farm for China works out when their economy decides 10% growth per year isn't really sustainable, too bad neoliberals can't see beyond next quarter's profits and they'll all be dead/retired before any of the consequences are felt anyways

It's already being felt, the next quarter profits are going bye bye as commodities tank. And this is where it really gets insane - mining you would think is some huge insane portion of GDP - its not! 4% or something silly like that, the GBR alone has a bigger impact on GDP via tourism. And even most of their rich rear end in a top hat business mates are telling them this is insane.

The problem is the biggest rear end in a top hat business mates are Gina Rhinehart and Rupert Murdoch who have far too bigger sway. Rhinehart because of her fuckoff kind of wealth and Murdoch... well.... do I need explain him? Those two say something, their political puppets repeat it.

quote:

STR, you know it's like, absurdly easy to get cheese made in reputable dairies that treat their milch cows like the pampered moneymakers they are, right?

What is nuts about the milk industry is that it is well known pampered cows produce up to twice the milk with better quality. It also costs three fifths of gently caress all to do. It's true across the animal produce industry too - treat the animals well, they put on more muscle, prduce better and larger egss, spawn better young etc. You literally make more money from not being needlessly cruel and it doesnt cost you all that much if anything in return.

But yet farm managers / businesses dont seem to grasp this fact. It's not like it's a thing that eventually happens over time, you can change just about overnight your production yield by applying some basic cruelty free practices. You can change a lovely yield farm into a high yield farm and improve quality so fast it's mindblowing..... it's been proven time and time again. But then you see stories of hosed up farms and you have to wonder what they were thinking because treating animals well = profit is farming 101

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jan 27, 2015

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

It's mostly an issue in mega-agcorp owned factory farms these days, as they want a repeatable formula for making a product that has minimal variables, and a hangar packed with chickens at one per 8 inch square of floor with minimal ventilation and light creates a repeatable result in any environment.

Usually a bad result with minimal or no profit.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

fjelltorsk posted:

So. I decided to try going to the toilet on my own. making GBS threads in a bedpan is only fun the first time. I have been sitting here for the last fifty minutes and cant get up.

I should probably call a nurse

Puts my admittedly otherwise pretty hosed up week in perspective.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Previous fill up a hulking big V8 sedan best - $86

Tonight - $60. And I was struggling to get any more in. Sixty loving bucks to fill a Commodore???? Dafuq? I havent seen fuel this low in about 15 years?

(99 cents a litre)

Otherwise can this hosed up week end already or I find a huge pile of cash?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I'm gonna get hosed so hard on my taxes. I was on unemployment for 6 months with no taxes being taken out and I made over $6k in one month as a sub-contractor on my 1099G.

You will need to explain this to me, because in the Aust system you would be due a fair bit back, given your tax is based on your total yearly earnings and your unemployment would in effect lowering your yearly earnings and thence most likely you would be getting a refund. Doesnt a proper Pay As You Go system exist in the USA?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Come on CT, you've been reading AI long enough to know the answer to that :v:

Yeah, it was a dumb question in hindsight.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ive been in and driven GTR's Porsches, V8's, wild Toyotas with FJ20 turbos, Rotarys etc...... KB's EVO absolutly knocks them out of the park. Dear LORD that thing is fast.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

HAHAHA with QLD LNP looking like they are being booted, our Shitlord of a Prime Minister HAS to be in huge trouble and be booted :D

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Fo3 posted:

gently caress Yeah!
http://www.abc.net.au/news/qld-election-2015/results/

Look at how many seats are being lost by the LNP and going to Labor http://www.abc.net.au/news/qld-election-2015/results/changing-seats/

Newman out, QLD LNP almost certainly can not form govt in any way....... Abbott cant last the week because the LNP can not allow a anti Abbott backlash happen in NSW

I mean... how the gently caress did the opposition in QLD, reduced to a party you could fit in a Ford Falcon with room to spare actually win? I know Newman is a hated shithead but Abbott HAS to be the big reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Phone posted:

I take it that this is semi related to that video I posted earlier about the coal mining?

Its 100% releated. The nong in charge of the state got booted

• Locked thread