Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Actually it's Wild ARMs 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

i'd gently caress geoff

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
I Have No Dignity And I Must Post FrankerZ

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Ramadu posted:

its kinda unbelievable how well goons ran that poo poo into the ground

You've been here since '04 and you're still not used to goons running poo poo into the ground with superhuman efficiency?

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Eonwe posted:

thank gently caress this run is almost over so we can have some awesome runs
:agreed:

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Time to move on to a better game :woop: Toufool and 0xwas is gonna be a fun race.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

Maybe I'm crazy but it's also painful on the eyes to me. I was like 13 when banjo kazooie came out and even at the time I remember thinking it is one of the ugliest looking games I've ever seen.

The whole collectathon thing just leads to a lot of visual clutter, there's a ton of colors going on and no real consistent aesthetic.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

:( Just looked at the schedule and I'm disappointed Bonesaw isn't running anything this year. Him kicking off AGDQ14 with that Jak & Daxter run, a game I don't know anything about, was one of the most enjoyable runs of that year and I actually went back and watched it a second time last year :v:

Bonesaw super owns. I think he hitchhiked all the way to AGDQ last year, such an upbeat dude.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Agreed. He came out of nowhere at SGDQ '13 IIRC and is easily one of the most likable and engaging runners.

Best 'saw moment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58PDTxAUxpk

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Dizz posted:

Is this the first event 0xwas was able to attend?

Yeah, several Japanese runners got their expenses paid by the JRTA marathon a few months ago. Ohon is also gonna be there, playing MM5 and CV3, and he's an absurdly good player.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

while the last day is dedicated to boring JRPG's.

Not my fault they decided not to include the fun and awesome Wild ARMs and FFT runs in the marathon

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

theultimo posted:

theyve lost literally 30k viewers since DKR started...END THIS :|

Even if they lost 30k viewers, they still had 100k at the lowest point. That's loving impressive for the start of the marathon.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Making SMW into SMB1 is also impressive. I hope they make SOTN into CV1 some time.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
"There's a song that's really amazing that you should all listen to, so I'm just going to be quiet for now"

AWK-WARD

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

snodig posted:

They should have brought back dustforce instead.

Dustforce is not a good game to run at marathons unless you can get one of the very few people who are consistent at running it.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

tRIDAV posted:

What are you talking about, it's playing the same song that Transistor had.

:vince:

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

katkillad2 posted:

I'm personally not going to miss that guy who had his waifu sitting on his lap for 3 days straight on stream.

do not disrespect the touhou plushies

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Why is the estimate 46 minutes, his WR isn't even that low

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

President Ark posted:

why are the people who frequent the so-called "chill" forums the ones who have to loudly repeat how poo poo they think something is and how dumb they think everyone involved with it is

wouldn't the chill thing to do be to sit back and accept that other people enjoy something they don't and not harsh their vibe

it's nice to chill with your buddies and talk about how much those other people suck

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Poultron posted:

TBH any run over an hour is pushing it for me personally, I'd sooner watch a Let's Play

At least this year they don't END with the traditional "6 hour JRPG "speed" run"

actually jrpg speedruns are cool

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

SeXReX posted:

jrpg speedrun ROUTES are cool in a "statistics word problem" sort of way where you have to figure out the lowest level you can get through the game while maintaining acceptable odds of victory

doing the run itself?

gently caress YEAH I LOVE RANDOM ENCOUNTERS making GBS threads ON MY TIME.

sometimes the game gets really glitchy in a uniquely cool JRPG way, and that's great. i agree that random encounters suck though

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Al Borland posted:

on that topic FF 13 speed run.

FF13 is actually a cool run that involves a lot of good execution, it's also an entertaining run because you can make fun of the plot while you skip the utscenes

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Touhou hype :dance:

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

why is Touhou a thing in AGDQ anyways? People spam twitch Touhou icons and there's always a Touhou fangame and I don't understand why.

touhou games are fun and have cool music

and lots of people want to gently caress the touhous but i don't like those people

Jibo posted:

45 minutes of pedo bullshit. :geno:

gently caress off

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Jibo posted:

Touhou fan games are pretty far from "remotely resembling anime".

:lol:

i've played touhou games for 7 years and have no desire to gently caress underage girls

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Chieves posted:

If AGDQ wanted to do some real good they'd turn the names in of everybody who donates during this run to CPS.

Crain posted:

Those guys would be popping the biggest boners if it weren't for chemical castration.

lol epic joke my friend, all people who like anime definitely want to rape children

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Jibo posted:

Pretty much.

I like One Piece and for some reason people aren't falling over themselves to make fan games over characters from that series. It's almost like people have an unhealthy obsession with the children from Touhou.

There are people who'll fixate creepily on any underage characters, the Touhou dude just happens to be a terrible artist who can't draw breasts so all his characters look about 10. Thankfully he doesn't sexualize them whatsoever.

He makes loving awesome games and music so I don't mind

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

androo posted:

Not to jump on the eww bandwagon but I'm genuinely confused about the little girl thing with all these games.

Gamma Nerd posted:

the Touhou dude just happens to be a terrible artist who can't draw breasts so all his characters look about 10. Thankfully he doesn't sexualize them whatsoever.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

Besides them being an auto-scroller aside from fighting bosses? It's hard to show 'gotta go fast' when you're enforced to a 2 and half min long level before getting into something you can influence the time it takes to complete.

If you speedrun a shmup you'd just be bombing all the boss patterns, it'd be boring as hell to watch. Shoot the Bullet/Double Spoiler are actually super legit speedgames though, and I think Ihavenoname was going to run it at SGDQ, but he couldn't make it.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

one of the guys looks like zun

Every gaunt asian dude looks like ZUN to be fair

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Dias posted:

Is he drunk tho.

I hope so! If I was commenting on this run I'd definitely get blitzed beforehand

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Mr E posted:

I just wish Claude's Tactics run had got in.

I'm glad he got in at all since he's an awesome speedrunner and a cool guy. Bummer that a cool game like FFT got tossed in favor of crap like Super Marisa Land though (even as a huge Touhou fan that run made me cringe)

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

Is FFT even an interesting run or is it just Calculator spam?

It involves teleporting Samurai. The problem is a lot of his strats are super luck-based and loving up could easily put him over estimate.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Big John feat. Big Toad and Luigi

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Stink Terios posted:

This guy's RibbedKilla V2.

:allears: :swoon:

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
make that three porpoises who want to make out with big jon

Gamma Nerd