Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Unrelated, I had no idea there was a game based on TekWar. Is it a point-and-click or sometyhing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vho7k1qON_w

I want to see this just because I spent over an hour running around the demo that came on a PC Gamer CD and never figured out what I needed to do to finish it.

EDIT: Oh, it might be worth noting that Kodi/XBMC has a Twitch add-on that works well too.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Is that the guy who was thrown out for throwing a $400 microphone on the floor?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Crotch Bat posted:

"I would really prefer if you'd be quiet."

I want to see blind MTPO and hear some painfully awkward poo poo happen in front of 50,000 people, it's just the best. :3:

I'm looking forward to the run of the first few OOT dungeons blindfolded. I can't even imagine how much practice it takes to pull that off.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

mango sentinel posted:

gently caress whoever did the sound design for Banjo Kazooie

Didn't they actually have the sound guy on the phone during a run of this last year or something?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Yessss, bring on the FPSes.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Quake Engine + Force Powers, get ready for some crazy poo poo.

This is Dark Forces 2, not Jedi Academy. It ran on an engine Lucasarts built in-house.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 5, 2015

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

SeXReX posted:

jrpg speedrun ROUTES are cool in a "statistics word problem" sort of way where you have to figure out the lowest level you can get through the game while maintaining acceptable odds of victory

doing the run itself?

gently caress YEAH I LOVE RANDOM ENCOUNTERS making GBS threads ON MY TIME.

The Final Fantasy 1 run is neat from a technical perspective since they have the internals of the game completely figured out. The reality of the run is a lot of grinding and walking back and forth over the same two tiles while running away from battles to get the encounter table to the right place before they enter the next area.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Why do they run everything windowed? Does potentially changing resolutions in fullscreen mode mess with the capture hardware?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

CarpetCrawler posted:

Wonder what is causing this issue.

The stream is trying to do everyone a favor.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

ullerrm posted:

Basically, you can go AFK and do other poo poo until midnight PST, when they start a ~6 hour block of pure awesome.

I really don't get the scheduling. They put a crap weeaboo game like this on in prime-time and schedule games with a large general appeal like the NES block and Mega Man X race when the majority of the western world is sleeping.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

African AIDS cum posted:

I don't get why all these people couldn't just stream this from home, I haven't heard any crowd at all

It's 1:00 in the morning there.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

RyokoTK posted:

Also the runner's obligatory ":geno: shake shake" every time someone says it in a donation is good too.

At a previous event they had some girl saying it when the donations came in and, naturally, the donation comments started getting really creepy.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

This should be interesting. MM Unlimited is one of those fan games with 'gently caress you' difficulty. There are screens where you will just die over and over until you master the exact timing to pass it, only to die on the next screen.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

raditts posted:

drat, that dude on the right is waayyyyy behind.

I had no idea the world of video game speed running was such a high pressure, cut-throat business.

He didn't finish that far behind considering he had two deaths.

Mega Man 5 seems less interesting than 1 just because 1 has lots of tricky skips that can save massive amounts of time and swing the balance in a race.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Do not even ask posted:

this game doesn't look that bad, but it does look hella weird

It was made by Konami so it's not going to be horribly broken or anything like that.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Karnov is not a bad game. It's pretty hard and not that great, but it's nowhere near the borderline-unplayable awfulness of Super Pitfall or Tek War.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The SOTN race should be good as well as that's another game full of tricky maneuvers that can send you way ahead if you pull them off in one shot or ruin you if you fail.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

DoctorStrangelove posted:

They had loads of trouble trying to get the previous 360 game working.

The previous 360 game being Sneak King.

Just the sound, because it was very important that the people at home hear the "bloof blurf" effect when you gave someone a burger that was apparently pulled from the king's rear end.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Mr E posted:

Romscout is a monster

It's like running a race against Usain Bolt: unless he trips the best everyone else can do is compete for second.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Still better than the anime club and their lame platformer that nobody would have cared about if it weren't for the water balloon tits power-up.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Northan posted:

Man I don't think a lot of people here get that there's no such thing as "not worth speedrunning".

How would you speedrun a rail-shooter like Panzer Dragoon or Rebel Assault?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

DARPA Dad posted:

true that.

although CEN64 is aiming to be the bsnes of N64 emulation. excited to see how that turns out

Probably about as well as MESS which has had low-level N64 emulation for a while. Everything works, including games with custom RSP code that other emulators choke on, but is unplayabley slow even with the fastest available processors.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Colonel posted:

I'd just like to say in regards to Dolphin chat that Dolphin can run Metroid Prime at full speed throughout the entire game on my potato of a computer. gently caress, it can kind of even run Xenoblade on this thing with barely any lag. Dolphin is seriously the best emulator I've ever used.

The Prime games look amazingly good for 10+ year old titles when you crank up the rendering resolution.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Zurreco posted:

I think they're still waiting for the Humble Bundle donation. Probably won't be $200k on it's own but there are a lot of big runs for tonight.

The t-shirt money usually comes in at the last minute too.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

With N64 Nintendo first party games, you tend to have the most glitches in a first edition Japanese release, much less in the North American release, and if a European version was made, it'd tend to have the least glitches from either of the two other versions, but new glitches pop up when adapting to the 50 hertz.

So if you're after full glitches you'll go on the Japanese usually. Except that some games might be faster on the PAL region systems but they're more often slower than all the rest.

OoT released in North America and Japan almost simultaneously and the ROMs are exactly the same except for one byte that sets the language.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Xachariah posted:

Does that mean the Japanese carts have an English translation in it not normally accessible and vice versa?

Yep. You can change it via a Gameshark code or an IPS patch.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTvFAe43m_Y&t=2293s

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Comrade Question posted:

Caleb is always a joy to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO5zbqxP41c

New Donation: $1.00 from F The Police

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Is anyone even going to be around for the finale at 6:00 local time?

• Locked thread