Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I think it was in an issue of Deadpool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Ooh, free wifi!

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

That might be worth it if the punchline is a panel of Frank Castle just sitting in front of his gun, scowling.

Sadly, no. But both Spidey and Moon Knight get some. And then Moon Knight calls Spidey on his Avengers communicator card, and overhears MJ and him talking about doing it. It's awkward.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

For some reason, Byrne was pissed off when Morrison made that world one of the 52 Earths. I just thought I'd mention that.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Who's who@whocares.com supposed to be? Mysterio?

I'm guessing the Owl.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

Young Justice?

Yup, issue 50, where they take every teen superhero and invade a whole country of supervillains.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

She was initially conceived as not being related to him in any way, then some guy was like YEAH BUT THEY HAVE THE SAME POWERS!!! and made them related. Then Peter David had a very boring cliched reveal about Polaris' past that made her throw knives around for a couple issues that re-retconned her as not being his kid, but actually being the kid of some people she blew up when her powers manifested ridiculously early.

I'm surprised her reaction was to lose it instead of just going "Wow, my past sure is hackneyed."

You read that story entirely wrong. The X-Factor story revealed that she was the daughter of Magneto and Mrs. Dane, and that's what the Danes were fighting about when her powers manifested and crashed their plane. And then Magneto had Mastermind remove her memory of that so it wouldn't traumatize her. (Didn't work.)

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Nothing can be weirder than those Archie comics where they're all suddenly fundamentalist Christians.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

What is he, a gay fish?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

The MSJ posted:

It is actually Jubilee who have seen everything, seen it all.

She literally used to live in a mall. I'd wager she saw everything before she even joined the X-Men.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

Dammit, Batman!
How many Robins have we been through now?

Meanwhile, Alfred's behind him like, "Welp, better uncover the lime pit..."

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

spudsbuckley posted:

I can never figure out if goons are being ironic about liking Squirrel Girl.

That art is loving dire and the character is standard "plucky wisecracking female protagonist". Suppose the writers know that there is a subsection of people who seem to lap that character up every time it crops up.

I completely, unironically love Squirrel Girl.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Tavarin posted:

That's Baron Zemo Sr

Baron Zemo Jr fell into a vat of boiling, specially-treated Adhesive X during his first appearance as the villain Phoenix in Captain America #168, during the Secret Empire storyline.

Tons of stuff happened to him because of Thunderbolts though, so that might have been changed.

His face did get fixed, but then it got ruined again.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

That Ignorant Sap posted:

No idea on the source.

Peter David's Captain Marvel.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

prefect posted:

Was that also when she stole Rick Jones's wife? :argh:

She gave her back...

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

Isn't that Rasputin?

Six of one...

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

dordreff posted:

Captain Marvel saying 'rear end' is somehow hosed up beyond belief.

That characterization isn't just missing the point, it's tying the point to the railroad tracks and dropping a nuke on it. What the hell, DC?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

In fairness to Johns, the older guys in the JSA take him aside and tell him it's not appropriate and he quits the team (because his magical wisdom won't let him tell them his true identity).

Which is kinda stupid, because you'd figure if you can trust anyone with that secret, it's Jay Garrick and Alan Scott.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

It was the 90's. And this was Youngblood (Or was this WildCATS?),

Youngblood. WildCATS was Jim Lee, which meant the art was occasionally not completely awful.

Oddly, Alan Moore eventually did a writing stint on both.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

WickedHate posted:

I've had this in my folders for awhile.

Giant bunnies are four times as dangerous as an oncoming train.

One of the really early issues of Excalibur.

Apparently Meggan doesn't know what "lovers" means.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Secret Wars is nothing but weird alternate realities. And all the creators on the tie-ins are having a lot of fun with it.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

How have you never come across the concept of slash fiction?

Interesting phrasing.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

joehonkie posted:

I love this bit! (They were both wrong, it was a horrible alien egg)

Spider-Woman #4

"I am Curious (Yellow)," Gwen? Don't mess this up Spider-Man! (He already has)

The Amazing Spider Man #101

Love Story was rated R?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

For me the goofiest use of heroes is that comic Marvel distributed to explain their growth as a company and their future plans. It's so ludicrous.

It was actually their annual report to shareholders. So the only people who got a copy were very serious guys in suits.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

Who do you think M is by the time the 80's iteration rolls around?

Emma Peel, this has been established.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

redbackground posted:

edit: I just now noticed Senior Woodchuck's avatar youtube link :monocle:

So did I.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Sizone posted:

Shhh.... That's Starr, Jessy's main antagonist.

I think he was referring to that time an insane Neo-Nazi lady kidnapped Jesse and dressed him in a Nazi uniform so he could "gently caress me hard and call me Eva!"

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Sizone posted:

Probably meth. Like everyone else who has ever been on the slave labor graphics roster.

Greg Weisman?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Ensign_Ricky posted:

What...the...gently caress....

Ok, I think Frank might have been broken looooong before 9/11 if all that was actually in his Robocop 2 script.

The cracks are visible in Dark Knight Returns, really.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

My favourite incident around that was Gilbert Gottfried doing a gag about it at a roast, and the whole crowd turned on him... so he launches into a version of The Aristocrats as a counterpoint. Basically an "Oh really, you fucks, processing tragedy via humour is offensive? I'll give you OFFENSIVE"

I saw that in The Aristocrats movie. The 9/11 joke is actually not bad; he talks about having to fly in the morning and being nervous because he has to catch a connecting flight at the Empire State Building. (The crowd's reaction is understandable, since it was like two weeks after.)

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

And that's how Mr. Mxyzptlk caused Final Crisis.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

I loving hate it when demons cue up Bohemian Rhapsody. Show some originality, dammit!

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Eh, it's not the first time.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

fatherdog posted:

....pretty much exactly what I said I was talking about?

While still managing to be 100% wrong about how the behind-the-scenes there worked?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

That's not at all how it went. Peter David got assigned Supergirl, thought the whole "she's a shape-shifting clone of Lana Lang from a pocket dimension where there were another Superboy and Supergirl who were friends with the Legion" was too complicated, so he went with "she's an angel" instead. He did that for 50 issues, then she was just Linda Danvers with Golden Age Superman's powers. 25 issues of that, then he reintroduced Kara Zor-El as part of a plan to rebrand the book as "Supergirls" (with Power Girl eventually coming in as well), but it got canceled, so he wrote both Kara and Linda out of the universe. Nobody ever really mentioned any of it again; the next Supergirl was Lois and Clark's daughter from the future, and she only lasted about a year before DC brought back Kara "for reals".

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

It's totally real.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

"I find your lack of faith... disturbing."

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Skwirl posted:

That just means your family is lazy/can't cook.

Or their neighborhood has a really bad problem with packs of feral dogs.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Gwenpool is a cosplayer from an Earth-Prime-type universe who has found her way into the Marvel Universe.

I am not making that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

You know, considering at this point they've basically just solidified the Gamma Bomb as "turns people into Hulks" has there even been a what-if where nobody snuck into the testing range and it got dropped on a populated city or something?

America develops gamma bombs in WWII and drops them on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, thereby giving Japan an army of Hulks (or "Oni").