Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
What kind of maniac wouldn't share the cover from the first issue?

I actually had a copy of this many years ago. It lies slightly - the cameo is Donatello only, if memory serves, but he is actually drawn by Peter Laird. He gives Punky Future Shades there directions and comments how nice pre-teens are these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Archyduke posted:

Lee Marrs is great-- I'd never heard of this but now I'm really excited.

Huh, I hadn't realised that Lee Marrs was actually anyone interesting.

Servoret posted:

What I really like about that cover is that it’s a riff on a specific panel from the first issue of American Flagg, which was a fan favorite BITD. The first nine issues or so of Flagg are really good (and then the series loses energy/the joke gets old after that).

Its the cover of the second issue. There's actually some depth here for what I thought was a cheap, throw-away gag of a comic.

How ironically does this guy die?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Zaodai posted:

If I recall, he dies ironically but not due to dynamite. He ends up tricking some kind of giant mutant into thinking he's its brother so it will kill Kenshiro. When the mutant gets its rear end kicked like everybody else, it reaches out to its "brother" for help, but because the mutant is a bit of a retard, it can't understand its actually just immobilizing him so Kenshiro kills him too.

Ghostlight posted:

Kenshiro kills him by lighting his dynamite while he's trapped, so it's double irony.

I was intrigued, so I watched the sequence. It is ironic, but you don't often see irony with such a complete lack of subtlety.

I like that in context of the full conversation, Kenshiro seems more annoyed that the dude gave "throwing dynamite at people" a cool, anime attack name than the fact he brought dynamite to a fist fight.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

For a pretty gimmicky concept from the '80's, TMNT has a lot of legs and can fit a whole range of moods and genres. I was early teens the first time round and it just keeps coming back. I guess there'll always be twelve year olds.

(My secret theory, though, is that if you jump the shark hard and fast enough, you can get away with most anything. Boston Legal, for example, did in the first few episodes. TMNT does it before you've finished reading the title.)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Darthemed posted:

Mystery Men Comics #6 (1940)

I have an Eagle annual somewhere from the fifties where a character busts a cross dressing male spy by tossing a pack of cigarettes to them, the spy catching them in his hands, rather than letting them land in his lap. For ladies are physically unable to catch things, you see.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

oriongates posted:

Superman isn't mad, he's just super disappointed.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Darthemed posted:

Marvel Boy #1 (1950)

"gently caress's sake, I know Europe and Asia are technically the same land mass, but do we have to have this argument everytime a magical new continent arises?"

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

"I'm really sorry you got all wet."

Water Wizard drives a VW Bug

Water Wizard avoided getting snuffed by Scourge because he got a flat tire

I love Water Wizard

I love that he's driving around in his bug IN COSTUME. I'm imagining that's because it's awkward getting changed in the front boot of a bug.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Are there any established gorilla or gorilla-based villains in the Marvel Universe?
DC has Gorilla Grodd and Monsieur Mallah for starters. Maybe he's just excited for the novelty.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

FFT posted:

Gorilla-Man, Gorilla Rider, Gorilla Girl?

I thought you were taking the piss at first, but then I googled them.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Push El Burrito posted:

Newspaper Spider-Man thread is currently running through a story where a rich guy buys a gorilla suit to destroy Spider-Man.

Also does the Man Ape count? He's gorilla themed! And isn't one of the Headmen a human head on a gorilla body?

Nice. I love how excited he is to have the strength of a gorilla, which would be cool for a normal person, but wouldn't be anywhere near the magnitude of strength for a lot of superheros.

The dude in the Headmen is one of the three Gorilla Mans. And Man Ape counts.

Gorillas seem like such a Golden- or early Silver-age thing. And I guess I associate that kinda thing with DC more readily.

(I also found a Wikipedia list of fictional primates in comics. Technically, it should've included all human characters, but it limited itself to apes and monkeys.)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I am now obsessed with Jennifer Glatzer, blasé Satanist.

Natch.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Retro Futurist posted:

All I'm saying is, picture Matt Berry yelling "by the hoary hosts of hoggoth" and then try to ever see anyone else as right for it ever again

Oh, you prick.

"Unhand me, Dormammu!!!"

*extended slapsie fight

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Dr Strange: Does a monk named Natasha work here? I called earlier about the Wicked Wand of Watoomb...
Temple orderly: I can really only answer questions relating to items we are currently stealing or here in the temple...

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

Green Green Lantern L.E.G.I.O.N.

Weatherby George Dupree

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I'm sure that either way someone "more powerful than a locomotive" is able to withstand a shove from a nameless mook.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bucnasti posted:

Don Johnson, Michael J Fox, but I'm not sure who the third guy is supposed to be.

Going from the subtle clue in his word balloon, it could be Sam J Jones who was Flash Gordon in Flash Gordon. He was bleach blonde in the movie, but his actual hair colour is dark.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Alaois posted:

this is it, the Scientifically Perfect Picture of Cable

No, missing a large blade that doesn't quite match the perspective of its handle.

I was into the X comics, as a 14 year old, from X-tinction Agenda through to X-cutioners Song. I certainly managed to pick an interesting period of time to be into comics.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

"Because I live within it, you idiot" is slaying me.

Most of my comic reading is this thread, so there's a lot of character history I have no idea about, but looking at Kang's story on Wikipedia, I would happily watch a time travelling comedy of alternate Kang's constantly loving up each other's plans of conquest.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Metalshark posted:

It's not a comedy, but Avengers Forever is a 12 issue series that's really good and is essentially a fun team of Avengers caught up in Kang versus Immortus (Future Kang as opposed to Kang, from the future) shenanigans.

N.b. this predates the creation of Iron Lad, who is young Kang (from the future).

Thanks, I'll have a look.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Darthemed posted:

Rocky and His Fiendish Friends #3 (1963)

Is there actually an egg rolling contest in Ottawa? Or is it a sandwich joke?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

SimonChris posted:

From the Online Creators thread. I like the implication that Superman thinks of Marvel's package as "Armageddon".

"Captain Marvel is thrusting in the direction of the Armageddon!"

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

darkseid can't go shopping for furniture himself, he can't trust his underlings to do it for him, and robbing a furniture store would be beneath him. so, he remains stuck with a series of unpadded rock thrones.

You can't be the despotic demi-god king of a place called Apokolips and have comfy couches lying about - it would give the thralls and minions the wrong idea.

He probably sneaks off in disguise to Space Ikea on the space weekends and sits in all the display lounge rooms.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Ah yes despots of hell countries: well-known for not living in the lap of luxury.

(Yes I know this isn't Darkseid [or is it?!?!?!?], just pointing out that the ruling class of Apokolips are extremely at home on comfy chairs even at home.)

Yeah, but living somewhere called Apokolips needs a different aesthetic than somewhere called North Korea or Libya.

And maybe if Granny had less welcoming furnishings SHE could be ruling over Apokolips with an iron fist.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Uthor posted:

Random out of context panel that popped up on X-Plain the X-Men.

X-Men Unlimited #9

What on earth is a 'psychic knife'? For the sake of new readers, maybe there should be some kind of explanation.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's the focused totality of my psychic powers

(writing in notebook) ...focused...totality...gimme the GOD drat candy's pyschic powers

Alaois posted:

i'm still, to this day, unsure of how vulnerable to damage Cannonball is when he's using his powers

Don't feel bad, I still don't know what Wolverine does or if he even IS the best at it.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Kalli posted:

X-factor had pretty fantatic art. Pretty sure at one point Strong Guy references that tons of weirdoes live in DC to explain it all away.

The Larry Stroman run on X-Factor are the only comics I deliberately saved from my Marvel phase as a 14-year old.

I get it's not to everyone's taste, but considering it was all Leifeld, Jim Lee and that kinda stuff at the time, it was pretty bold.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I really like it, it's visually striking and has a real charm to it. It makes the decline to the state his art was in 10 years ago much more tragic.

Oh no!

ruddiger posted:

Larry Stroman is a pro loving follow on Facebook, his current stuff is fantastic.

Phew!

Seriously though, the last thing I saw him do was Tribe, about a million years ago.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Kevin Palpatine posted:

just hiding behind a lamp post in my bright green and yellow costume, doo de doo...

Well the street is obviously yellow and the shadows are blue, so a green outfit is about the best thing to wearing in that situation.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I just love how his giant-rear end collar is sticking up in every panel.

Seriously, that probably would help. The human brain likes spotting human shapes and faces, so anything that breaks up his silhouette is a good thing.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I was actually reading 2000ad when that arc was published. Such a great ending.

I got nostalgic for a bunch of 2000ad stories last year and read the earlier Zenith arcs too. Its not obvious here but I love how Zenith is a self-centred dick through the whole thing. Also, the politician dude there is a Tory, and I'm sure it's implied he used his powers to get Thatcher elected.

It's a really weird take on superheroes, so in conclusion, read Zenith.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Dareon posted:

"just increase your production of serotonin" easy for you to say, mister superhero.

... Control over brain chemistry would be an amazing superpower.

In fairness, everyone in that room would be potentially able to that, other than Archie.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Exactly the kind of thing you'd send a pink disco robot to deal with.

Maybe its me, but I feel that the Venn diagram of "things that need to dealt with" and "things that I can send a pink disco robot to deal with" is probably a circle.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Daktar posted:

Yeah Cyclops is referred to as the strongest several times in the early issues. And that was with his eye beams needing to recharge between blast rather than being always on.

How long did that take? It makes him sound like a crappy video game boss.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

How Wonderful! posted:

I choose to believe that Angel makes airplane noises when he flies.

Edit: And when he's Archangel he just makes angrier, darker airplane noises.

And machine gun noises when firing his feathers.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

robziel posted:

(Heat vision + cold breath) = steam + super strength = portable iron. Clark always looked freshly pressed.

Effort. Just use your super-hypnotism to make everyone THINK you're freshly pressed.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

IYKK posted:

Why even bother with clothes at all then? Just hypnotize people into thinking you are wearing clothes.

I'm liking this grubby Superman reboot. Lex hates Superman because he's the only one who knows he's not wearing clothes, but no believes him.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Libra posted:

Superman should also be tubby and out of shape. He gets his incredible strength from the sun and can lift buildings with ease, which makes it difficult to get a proper workout, let alone a bodybuilding routine. He just uses hypnosis to make everyone believe that he's totally chiseled and ripped.

If DC wants to stay relevant, they will give us Fat Naked Schlub Superman, the boldest and most exciting new take on the character since his original conception.

Comes back from the super fridge with a super hoagy to find fat, naked, schlubby Darkseid sitting in his spot on the couch, ruining all of the comfy contours with his rocky bum.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Libra posted:

I mean, he could just be left-handed.

You jest, but go have a look at some pictures of Sinestro...

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Cleretic posted:

You're also under a higher level of scrutiny, I think, and you're much more likely to be banned. Especially a problem for Taskmaster, I'd think, because I can only imagine his power would get banned under most sports codes once they realize that it's both really unfair and basically stealing. I know enough about sports leagues to know that the NFL would totally crack down on him.

I'd disagree - if Michael Phelps' weird swimming body wasn't regulated, I wouldn't see a sporting body having an issue with Taskmaster (presuming he's white, of course). Dude still has to work out like everybody else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Cleretic posted:

I named the NFL because I know they actually have passed rules that just go 'hey gently caress this one guy specifically', even if the thing they're making a rule against isn't actually all that useful or insurmountable by more normal players. Tom Dempsey's probably the best example; he had a deformed foot that required a special boot made, and also happened to be a very good kicker, so they passed a rule saying that players with deformed feet have to play with prosthetics that imitate a normal foot. Because sure, the fact he didn't have any toes was totally the deciding factor.

Even if Taskmaster wasn't open about his powers, in a world of tapes and replays it'd only take so long before someone noticed he was matching basically every record while never setting them, start asking questions, and eventually getting legislated out of the sport after pushing from teams that don't have a Taskmaster.

Geez, I didn't know about that - what arses!

Of course there's the whole thing with Caster Semenya and the levels of testosterone in her body as well.

To be honest though, I'd probably choose the career that let me run around in spandex and a cool skull mask too.

(To be super honest, I'd probably do that anyway irl, if I could find stuff that would fit me...)