Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

Was...was there ever a time when Supergirl wasn't his cousin? :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I think it happened in a Howard Mackie story in the late 90s. Venom was like "YEAH gently caress YOU JAMESON!" which doesn't really make sense considering the two characters had never met at that point in the comics. It really came across like he thought Brock used to work for him because he was a journalist, which was actually the case in the animated series.

One actual example I can think of is Bendis's first issue of New Avengers, I think, when the heroes are quelling a prison break and Carnage is spouting about sucking the life force off people, which he only ever did in the animated series. And this is Bendis, who at that point had been writing a Spider-Man book for years.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Lone Wolvie & Chris

Marvel What The–?! #4

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Vanadium posted:

Why is Galactus dressed like that?

He turned from purple planet-eater to golden life-giver in the recent Ultimates run. Cosmic Marvel is weird.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

graham cracker posted:

Oh Heathcliff, you truly cannot be undone, you are playing pranks on everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el9kKP3aZbE

That being said, I wonder if Heathcliff the comic strip has ever made other Wuthering Heights references.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Oh no, racist pro wrestling gimmicks in 2018.

EDIT:
Source: The Unstoppable Wasp (2018) #2

Suleman fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 15, 2018

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Source: Defenders - The Best Defense

For reference:
https://twitter.com/Cavalorn/status/654934442549620736

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Source: Steven Universe: Harmony #5

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Source: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #1 and #2

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Source: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #9

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Darthemed posted:

Invader Zim #14 (2016)

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Oh that's Xavier, not the Kingpin? Lmao.

Nah, it's neither.
https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Orlando_Kannor_(Earth-616)

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

GPTribefan posted:

It’s both goofy and fun, and definitely worth a read. Most issues are up on Marvel Unlimited if you want to check them out. If you have any grasp of 1960s pop culture or politics, you’ll get most of the jokes. Lots of great sight and background gags. Yeah, there’s a lot of hacky, corny jokes but it’s still super fun to read and it’s fun to watch Lee and Kirby take shots at themselves.

The first 8 or 9 issues of What The?!? Are the same way, but those aren’t up on MU for some reason. That series took a sharp left turn off a cliff, so you’d probably only want the issues in single digits

What The?!? was occasionally pretty fun.

I do remember some unfortunate racist jokes, at least in one Wolverine parody.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Shageletic posted:

So both Wolverine and Sabertooth are back? I dropped off comics aftee they dies. What should I read to catch up.

Mm, well, Sabertooth is alive. Buried alive, that is ("trapped in a state of permanent stasis for the rest of his life, while completely conscious and mentally aware"), for breaking laws that didn't exist when he broke them.
Krakoa might be a utopia, but it isn't nice.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Source: S.W.O.R.D. (2020) #7

KIRBONS!

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Lobok posted:

I don't know if I can recall ever seeing Doom eat before.

There was this whole thing with Conan.
https://why-i-love-comics.tumblr.com/post/189516742363/savage-avengers-8-dinner-with-victor-2019

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Source: Are You Afraid Of Darkseid

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

A Strange Aeon posted:

Oh man, someone post that Justice League Europe panel with Ralph and his wife.

I didn't find that, but I did find this.

By Lee Gatlin

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

drat Diablo wtf

FF #524 I think

#526, apparently.
I really like Diablo, he's got a fun backstory. Immortal alchemist sealed away by the Spanish Inquisition, you can really dig into some obscure occult nonsense with that.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Source: Mighty Marvel Holiday Special: Halloween with the Rhino Infinity Comic

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Actually, those are from the same issue I posted about earlier, "Mighty Marvel Holiday Special: Halloween with the Rhino Infinity Comic". Written by Ryan North.
The Infinity Comics are specifically designed to be read on mobile devices and they're available on Marvel Unlimited.

Suleman posted:

Source: Mighty Marvel Holiday Special: Halloween with the Rhino Infinity Comic

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
One fairly early volume of the manga Tough has the main character facing against a vicious karateka who just shrugged off a hit to the head. The explanation is... interesting.

In a similar vein, in Kengan Ashura, we get a Burmese practitioner of Lethwei, a form of kickboxing which famously allows headbutts.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Source: Excalibur (2019) #25

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Dareon posted:

Okay, now I need to know.

How'd he manage to gently caress that one up?

"It comes down to just Wolverine and he is about to get the crystal when Horde shows up and kills him, because he actually just wanted the X-Men to pave the path for him. However, before Horde can touch the crystal, a drop of Wolverine's blood (from Horde's vicious attack) hits the crystal and Wolverine is awarded the prize of the Crystal. Its powers resurrects Wolverine and he becomes one with the universe. He rejects omnipotence and just returns his teammates back to normal."
https://www.cbr.com/god-mode-15-comic-book-characters-who-had-a-taste-of-omnipotence/

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Ahem.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

How Wonderful! posted:

Oh, XER0, the book Christopher Priest describes as "the Apollo 13 of my career."
It does have really nice ChrisCross art and as with most of Priest's grim post-mortems the essay I linked is eye-opening.

"Trane Walker was a African-American athlete and power forward for the National City Vipers. Secretly, he was also Coltrane Walker, a clandestine government agency assassin who preserved his secret identity by disguising himself as a blond and blue-eyed Caucasian covert operative"

Christopher Priest is one of the few writers I would trust with that concept.

Panel tax:

Source: It’s Jeff #2

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Source: X-Men (2021) #9
The newly resurrected Destiny doesn't approve of her adoptive daughter's husband.

IK edit: Put the image under spoilers since the issue is brand new

Suleman fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Mar 4, 2022

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Yeah, sorry, that was my bad with the spoilers. I'll be more careful in the future.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Darthemed posted:

Superboy #92 (1961)

For a farmboy, Clark sure doesn't seem to know much about horses.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

This was also just released today

To be fair, unlike the panels I posted, those don't spoil any major events in an ongoing storyline. I'd say it's fine?

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

David D. Davidson posted:

...and that is how tae kwon do was invented.

Or, uh, Savate. The French kickboxing style.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Has Amanda Waller's husband ever showed up in anything?

Wikipedia says:

quote:

Amanda Waller has been established as a widow who escaped Chicago's Cabrini–Green housing projects with her surviving family after one of her sons, one of her daughters and her husband were murdered.
So any appearances would have been in flashbacks.

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Joseph_Waller_(New_Earth)

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

The Question IRL posted:

That sounds smart.
But after 20 minutes (and many destroyed toilets) Hulk is now on a rampage trying to find a toilet strong enough to accommodate him. And the only one that exists is that monstrosity that Reed Richards built the Thing.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Infinitum posted:

2 panels funny. 1 panel inspiring.
Funny thread it is.

No idea of issue.
Aww. They're doomed.
The source is Suicide Squad (2016) #20.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Source: Marvel #5

Source: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2011) #115

Suleman fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 29, 2022

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Lobok posted:

I so remember the panel where Carnage sends a tendril to another guy at a computer and he's marvelling at it like it's some newfangled 3D or holo-imagery (bro don't you know what your own monitor is capable of?) just before it drills through his face.

Oh, yeah. (Content warning: Drilled through the face)

Suleman fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 30, 2022

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Zore posted:

Is that Ben? I thought it was Bruce Banner.

It's Bruce.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

One More Fat Nerd posted:

One of my fave superman moments is when he finds out Captain Marvel is a 13 year old and just immediately gets super mad at the wizard who gave him his powers.

Cause its like, yeah, thats the correct response.

Not funny panels, but linking the whole sequence anyway.
https://imgur.com/gallery/It6PJZi

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Darthemed posted:

Superboy #111 (1964)

All of Superman's major romantic interests have had the initials L.L.. Coincidence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Source: New Mutants (2019) #30