Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Retro Futurist posted:

Doom would never vote for anyone other than Doom, were he to allow voting
Like the Patrician, Doom is a big believer in "one man, one vote".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
IIRC, in Ultimate Spider-Man, Peter took his mask off for Black Cat, whereupon she immediately freaked the hell out because the dashing, clever, sexy superhero she was panting for turned out to be a pimply high-school dork.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
LOL I forget she puked on his crotch.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Servoret posted:

I know about him mostly because he was locally infamous for taking a poo poo on stage and throwing it at the audience at a concert here in Milwaukee.
That seems like an entirely appropriate response to finding oneself in Milwaukee.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Nonvalueadded User posted:

Counter-example: Iron Man’s origin...um...as ably demonstrated in his film. So I guess we wouldn’t really need to see that again.

The 20-30 minutes every superhero movie seems to spend on origin crap makes me think that every screenwriter needs to be forced to sit down and really absorb the first two pages of All Star Superman. Even for “no (public) name” superheroes, unless there’s a reason why the origin story is key, it can probably be compressed into a few minutes and scattered throughout the film.

E.g., why would you need an origin story for, say, Namor? “Imperius Rex!”, king of Atlantis, wears a Speedo, tries to mack on Sue Storm, pretty straightforward.

I wonder if the Black Panther movie is also an exception to the “origin story is unnecessary to the film and also not interesting” rule. And maybe Ant-Man too?
One of my favorite literary theories divides characters and stories into two types: dramatic and iconic.

Dramatic characters go through an arc over the course of their story. They change, the grow, they end up in a different place at the end of the story than where they started. Luke Skywalker and Harry Potter are good examples of a such characters. And stories featuring dramatic characters are mostly about that character and the challenges he faces and how they change him.

Iconic characters don't change very much (or at all) over the course of a story. They end up pretty much in the same place they started, and the story instead is about the challenges they face, the ways they surmount those challenges, and the other characters they meet along the way. James Bond, Indiana Jones, Sherlock Holmes, the detectives and attorneys on Law & Order - their stories are much more about the process of what they do than the way the things they do change the circumstances or inner lives of the main characters. The stories are procedural, not dramatic.

You'll notice that description of iconic characters covers pretty much every superhero character in existence. Which is a problem for Hollywood, because the standard template for Hollywood screenplays is built around the main character undergoing a dramatic arc. So when the time comes for someone to write a Hollywood screenplay for Spider-Man or Superman or Green Lantern or whoever, they are gravitationally attracted to the one kind of superhero story that does feature the main character undergoing a dramatic arc and changing over the course of the story - the origin story.

Which is why so many superhero movies have to spend their entire first act on the origin of the character and their powers, and their final act is always the main character coming to terms with their new superpowered life.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Skwirl posted:

Alan Ladd was in a movie where they made the female lead stand in a ditch whenever they had a scene together.
Veronica Lake owed her entire career to the fact that she was one of the few actresses in Hollywood who, at 4' 11", didn't tower over Alan Ladd.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, it's totally a Flashdance reference, but she's also 5'8" according to Google.
I'm pretty sure that's "Lisa", the computer-generated babe from the movie Weird Science.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ecavalli posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I can't wait for baby boomers to die the gently caress off.
Be the change you want to see in the world, ecavalli.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Oooooooh, I'm so scared!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I5dVBezF9k

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Scaramouche posted:

His saliva is really mucousy and forms a perfect bond
:yossame:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Gotham always seemed like an amalgam of every dying passed-over northeastern city suffering from deindustrialization. It's Trenton and Camden and Baltimore and Atlantic City, with echoes of Youngstown and Detroit and Gary.

Metropolis is everything that's good about New York City, sparkling in the bright sunshine. It's Broadway and the fashion industry and the publishing industry and all the museums and Central Park and famous skyscrapers and the skating rink at Rockefeller Center and Columbia University and NYU and colorful ethnic neighborhoods with tons of excellent restaurants and conventions and tourists and the constant hum of new construction.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Malachite_Dragon posted:

They're with Tony Stark, dude can pay for whatever they got a billion times over. Good god, some of y'all.
You don't get (or stay) rich by writing checks, man.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Bendis on solo title = good
Bendis on team title = not good

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Begemot posted:

They're not perfect duplicates, turns out.

LOL at the other four just barely putting up with it. The things you do for your psychic clone quintuplet-sister...

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FMguru posted:

LOL at the other four just barely putting up with it. The things you do for your psychic clone quintuplet-sister...
I also just remembered that Sophie was one of the two Cuckoos who died, so they decided to keep that arbitrary birthday (and continue to celebrate it) as a tribute to their fallen sister. :unsmith:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Lurdiak posted:

I hope we as a society can move past Scott Pilgrim soon.
Never forget.

Never forgive.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Look at that marvelous cape!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Phy posted:

Fuckin lol

I hope Battlechimp Potemkin has an unreasonable issue with long flights of stairs
Looks like he can get up and down them just fine

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Adnor posted:

The moral is Don't Trust Cops.
Police will never help you.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Scotland actually has it's own style of martial art
So does Wales.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Proteus Jones posted:

I believe that’s the aftermath of the Hyatt Regency Walkway Collapse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyatt_Regency_walkway_collapse

111 people died.

Also, is that the color of the floor or blood in the right side of the picture.
The wiki page is really something

quote:

Often, rescuers had to dismember bodies to reach survivors among the wreckage.[7] One victim's right leg was trapped under an I-beam and had to be amputated by a surgeon, a task which was completed with a chainsaw.[13]

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, one of the reasons it was cancelled was because the sales didn't justify the artists page rate.
The other reason was that it dared reveal the uncomfortable truth about Mark Millar.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Harsh but fair.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Skwirl posted:

That might be on the inker or colorist.
Look into your heart, Skwirl.

What does it tell you?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
San Diego (which does not lack for good Mexican food) had a citywide chain of Mexican-Irish restaurant/bars called "Carlos Murphy's" at least back in the 1980s (seems to be defunct now).

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Random Stranger posted:

And now if Marvel is ever stupid enough to let me write a comic, it will feature Doom taking an Uber.

At the end of the ride, he leaves a one star review.
I dunno, I'd like to think Doom learned from the last time he tried to stiff a working man.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

TwoPair posted:

Yeah that's a bad analysis of Modern Superman but it seems pretty spot-on for Gold/Silver Age Supes
It's essentially lifted verbatim from Jules Feiffer's essay on Superman in his 1965 book "The Great Comic Book Heroes"

So yeah, very gold/silver age.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

theflyingorc posted:

Wasn't that Sam Hamm script, like, unbelievably awful?
"Christ almighty, it's the goddamned Watchmen!"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Good subtitle for a sequel honestly
I'll be very disappointed if the line isn't used somewhere in the upcoming HBO adaptation.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

hup posted:

“I don’t believe in signs” is my new favorite excuse
https://twitter.com/dril/status/181225396694560769?lang=en

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Gavok posted:

instead allowed himself to die on TV as a way to inspire people.
Inspire people to...die on TV?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the european country Belgium. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Yvonmukluk posted:

he's dating/married to an actress, who can tell him all about the benefits of a good union.
Peter's health insurance is probably through Actor's Equity.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
For those who haven't seen the issue - this is just one of the four substitute Olsons who have appeared in Metropolis since Jimmy's "death". The other three are easy to guess if you remember 1990s Superman comics events (the Olson of Steel, Olson Boy, and the Olson of Tomorrow, naturally).

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

How Wonderful! posted:

The late great Frank Nelson!
Homer: Uh, excuse me.
Usher: [bizarre, sycophantic voice] Yeeeees?
Homer: Do you have a table for the mayor?
Usher: Yeeees!
Homer: Why do you talk that way?
Usher: I had a strooooooke!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Lobok posted:

That is one giant woman.
Or one tiny, adorable giraffe :3:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
John Constantine is canonically bi.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The most recent episode of the Harley Quinn cartoon show has the Joker ask "Wanna know how I got these emotional scars?" to his therapist.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Lurdiak posted:

That reminds me, is Genesis still around?
They reunited and were supposed to be touring this year, at least before COVID turned everything upside-down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Random Stranger posted:

I haven't thought of T. M. Maple in years. Didn't I hear that he died?
Wikipedia says he clocked out in 1994.