Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Spider-man's bit should just be him choking Torch for 5 minutes straight while Reed goes "Oh, he got us good!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

Ms.Marvel #5.

(dream sequence, apparently).

Jeez, why aren't women reading our lady hero comics? It's a goshdarn mystery.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's a webcomics joke from ye olden days. The Mega Man comic, like the Sonic comic, has a lot of community input and nods like that, for better or worse.

E: Oh yeah, don't loving read that sprite comic from 2003 that I linked, in case you're brain dead and need to be told that.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 7, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

WickedHate posted:

8-Bit Theater is the only good sprite comic.

I liked Kid Radd quite a bit. Fun experiments with the medium.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 7, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SilverSupernova posted:

The rights to that show's assets must have went to them at some point since I remember Marvel making it available for streaming on their website earlier.

Yeah they've had the rights for a few years now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FredMSloniker posted:

This... was the first sentai show with a giant robot. Power Rangers ultimately descends from this. :what:

Very directly, actually. And just like all shows with giant robots, it was a decision from Hasbro to sell more toys. The Spidey live action show was originally going to be much closer to the source material, but they were like "we need to sell giant robot and monster toys, rewrite this poo poo". Then it was apparently enough of a hit that the sentai series was born.

Yay yay yay, wow!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's why I think it's stupid when people point out that this or that superhero reminds them of a Tatsunoko character or Kamen Rider or whatever. No, really? Does Superman remind you of Sentry, too?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

What happened to those robot tentacle things that guard the mansion? This is a gross violation of continuity! :arghfist::nixon:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

a cock shaped fruit posted:

This thread made me read Nextwave. This is a good thing.

Did you know it's the only comic in the world to have an official theme song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuosmf1_mKs

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Or possibly played by James Franco.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Futurism is stupid anyway.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

Fear Itself was terrible but the X-men tie ins were great.

Wasn't that book drawn by Land? I wouldn't use the word great.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Punch-Out!!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wade Wilson posted:

Why does Luke care, anyway?

It's interesting, because he only cares when she says "love". This scene is Peter unmasking in front of the Avengers after magically making everyone forget who he is with OMD. When he unmasked during Civil War, Jessica saw it on TV and told Luke offhandedly that she used to have a crush on Peter in high school, and he just kind of laughed it off. But during take 2 it gets super awkward and personal.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SilverSupernova posted:

Things probably seem differant when the person in question is right there in the middle of the conversation with you and your wife rather than on a news headline.

Of course, I just find it funny that Bendis got to do two versions of the same scene and chose to make them completely different.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dollars to donuts that's another of those stupid edits.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The internet has made me an untrusting, suspicious man.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It kinda looks like the colorist changed his mind about the light source halfway through.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

Bottomline, I really didn't like Kirkman's Marvel stuff. By and large it was fairly meanspirited somehow.

What's mean-spirited about a story where a horrible decaying monster wears Arana's arm that's the only thing left of her body after it gets disintegrated by mercenaries from the future who kill every superhero ever, including melting Luke Cage? It's all in good fuuuuuun!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FredMSloniker posted:

Speaking of cancer, does anyone have the panels from 'The Death of Captain Marvel' where Reed Richards and some other guys cure cancer, and then they're all like 'why didn't we do this sooner'?

That's nothing.

Black Panther #03, by Reginald Hudlin.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Tales Designed to Thrizzle, Michael Kupperman.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

She appears to understand the concept of pants, perhaps she's just a nudist?

I think the artists are just perverts.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

She's terrible, really. Most writers seem to like take as granted that you already like her so focus on making her "quirky" but she just comes across as a huge rear end in a top hat.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Joe Kelly's Deadpool run, some issue, who cares, just read the entire run.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm sure it's possible for someone to write Kitty as a likeable character. It's just, you know, never happened.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Fair enough. I've only ever seen stories where Kitty talks about that in relation to her being Jewish (I think most recently Bendis had her give a big monologue about anti-semites at school?)

I'm constantly surprised people don't know about this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That would have been inappropriate in a movie made for children!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBGJTiyvd90

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vMUj8bKr2E&t=15s

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ManlyGrunting posted:

:stare:
So I'm going to hazard a guess that the Teen Titans comic books have little to no relation to the really fun show I liked when I was 13.

That show spun gold out of poo poo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Teen Titans and Justice League debuted on the same day and people looked at me as if I grew a second head when I went into the comic store the next day and said Teen Titans was great and Justice League was awful.

And TT season 1 is still miles better than JL season 1.

I don't even like the Teen Titans cartoon, and I still understand that it was a really clever show that struck a chord with people slightly younger than me and distilled aimless characters into memorable and likeable incarnations/designs.

Thousands of internet perverts still wanna gently caress that version of Raven. Ain't nobody drawing creepy fanart of the 80s Raven.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

That is the least weirdest thing about Hanks' comics by a pretty wide margin. The things are like nightmarish fever dreams.

Get ready for the golden octopus.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Absorbing Man talking like a redditor is great.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

Except now he's actually Thorr, or he is six to eight months from now in the timeline.

Is that Hickman stuff? There's not even any certainty that stuff will ever come to pass in the other books.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Well, Odin is known for lacking cunning and wisdom, hence his symbol of the Dodo bird.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That really should have fancy handwriting instead of a bad font.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Archie's main comic also had that crisis on infinite Archies thing going on, which was the weirdest thing to even happen to Archie since that time they revealed Jughead was a time cop who was in love with Archie's great grand-daughter from the future and that's why he wasn't interested in other girls.

They also introduced a gay character a few years back, which isn't really notable except for the fact that it's Archie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

PJOmega posted:

I honestly have no idea if you're joking or not.

I don't joke about Jughead.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Idran posted:

Wasn't the Crisis on Infinite Archies thing this awesome plot-twist out of left field too? Like there was an Archie comic that at first just seemed to be an anthology of different what if-type scenarios, but then in the last page of one of them you had Dilton jumping universes Sliders-style to save the Archie Multiverse or something like that?

Yeah, something like that. And it came off the heavily advertised "wedding of Archie" thing, if I recall, so it was like a bait and switch.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I really don't think it was deliberately targeting an Archie comic, but it was definitely making GBS threads on people who idealize America's racist, sexist, classist past as an excuse to disparage the world of today.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Argue posted:

The reason he isn't interested in other girls is because he had his first heartbreak early, when he moved away from his childhood friend, Joani Jumpp. She was part of Jughead's love quadrangle (yes, Marshall January McAndrews was another part of it); if anyone actually wants more detail on this I can, uh, post a lot more in the Archie thread.

That was a later retcon they did after dropping the Time Police story. January McAndrews was definitely his love interest while that was going on, and the reason given for his lack of interest in girls.

E: Wait, I think I'm getting my stories confused.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

First google image search result for "Reed Richards urine"