Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Redeye Flight posted:

Humanity's main theoretical advantage is the ability to outlast the competition. We evolved as persistence hunters and still have exceptional stamina for our weight class, and it's reflected in culture and mindset worldwide. That's a pretty bitchin' racial trait, I think.

lol. We're lab rats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Wasabi the J posted:

So apparently trying to understand world religions sparked outrage in Virginia so much that it literally shut down districts.

I mean, when I had to suffer through in-school prayers or dumb poo poo like this, as an atheist, you get told to just put up with it. This is doubly dumb, though, because you literally cannot practice Islamic calligraphy without drawing from the Quran because that's why it loving exists -- drawing pictures was considered idolatrous and so artists made a style of calligraphy that is GOD IS SUPER GREAT THIS IS NOT A PEACOCK PICTURE JUST QURAN VERSES to skirt the rules and celebrate Allah.

How old are you that this was still going on in your school? i remember going thru that as the only atheist kid probably in the school, but that was 1960.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Wasabi the J posted:

I went to school in the 90's mostly in Texas, so it may as well been the 60's imho. Being in ROTC, band, and sports you got a lot more group prayer though, so I was just exposed to it a lot, and I didn't want to be rude; it was definitely kinda obnoxious but I learned through exposure that religion and prayer was mostly well-wishing and not passing my eternal soul unto Lucifer, so I let it go.

southern Oklahoma here- I could have guessed Texas or Deep South. The Lord's Prayer was a thing each morning in homeroom, and I DIDN'T KNOW THE WORDS, so being 9, you lip-synch along so as not to be the freak. Then when I learned the prayer, I recall in order not to feel like a total hypocrite I had to make a mental deal with God that went like this:

"God, if you are there, you know I'm an atheist, that's what my folks believe and they're the smartest people I know. Cut me some slack, eh? I'll figure things out more maybe when I grow up. The end."

My friends felt so bad for me straight ticketed to hell for ETERNITY, they tried to invite me to their churches...you know how that goes.

the poo poo kids go through that nobody knows

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

SumYungGui posted:

...and Putin's cock is a foot and a half long, everyone in Russia owns two maseratis ...

It's loving Russia man, come on. Out in the real world they're absolutely hitting civilian targets the only question is whether they intended to hit them and don't give a gently caress or whoever was entering the coordinates took a little bit too much alcohol out of the air frames and drunk dialed a missile.

reminder-

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Cole posted:

We also nuked them twice.

Imagine if someone blew up your neighborhood which killed your entire family and everyone else and then that person came up and smiled and shook your hand.

That's some boss poo poo.

Had to drop the 2nd because they believed we only had a single.(we had 2, because the science gods anticipated this exact sort of poker playing bullshit)

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Handsome Ralph posted:

This.

Also really good because it gives you a really good perspective on the Gulf of Tonkin incident that isn't pure boiled "LBJ AND MCNAMARA MADE THE WHOLE THING UP!"

I was in high school when that went down, and I remember thinking "who cares, why are they making such a big deal" Turns out LBJ wanted to make a big deal of it.

also, from Wikipedia, that unimpeachable source:
In 1995, former U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara met with former Vietnam People's Army General Võ Nguyên Giáp to ask what happened on 4 August 1964 in the second Gulf of Tonkin Incident. "Absolutely nothing", Giáp replied.[5] Giáp claimed that the attack had been imaginary.[6]

In 2005, an internal National Security Agency historical study was declassified; it concluded that Maddox had engaged the North Vietnamese Navy on August 2, but that there were no North Vietnamese naval vessels present during the incident of August 4. The report stated regarding the first incident on August 2 that "at 1500G,[note 1] Captain Herrick ordered Ogier's gun crews to open fire if the boats approached within ten thousand yards. At about 1505G,[note 1] the Maddox fired three rounds to warn off the communist boats. This initial action was never reported by the Johnson administration, which insisted that the Vietnamese boats fired first."[7]

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Handsome Ralph posted:

I agree that LBJ and McNamara made what was really a trivial thing it into a bigger deal in order to ramp up escalation. The issue I have is that the common "Amerikkka" logic I run into is that they both fabricated the entire event from start to finish (not true), rather than just taking what was a couple of over excited sonarmen/watch officers reports on false (though what they at the time believed to be accurate) sonar readings and seeing those reports escalate in nature/scale as it went up the chain.

The escalation in Vietnam was going to happen at some point regardless, they just happened to go with the Tonkin incident first rather than wait for some over cause.

Yeah, agreed. I recently finished reading We Were Soldiers Once and Young (based on the book thread itf) and recall a passage where Moore is saying that LBJ wanted to do a horse trade with the North involving industrializing the Mekong for them (which fits my faint recollection, and also LBJ's character to a T) but they refused to negotiate as long as the U.S. was bombing Hanoi (duh) and LBJ got pissed off.

There's another passage right after Ia Drang, where LBJ, McNamara, Westmoreland and everybody are in a meeting determining how many bodies it's gonna take to succeed. McNamara said (in his best nerd stats guy voice, no doubt) something about the 400k soldiers Westmoreland was requesting that it would still only be a 1 in 3 or 50-50 chance of winning, at best. Looks like they ignored that, huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jesus

• Locked thread