Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DrPaper posted:

I think people complaining about the black and white judgement of the show need to realize, these people are being judged by a character explicitly stated and recognized by himself to not be human, and has already admitted to mistakes in his judgement. Queendecim is not the afterlife everyone receives, it's the one these people who died at the same time got stuck with. If there's one thing to take away from the show it's that life isn't fair, and neither is death.

Yeah, you can mock Decim for being a spergy goonlord, but the point is that he's meant to be an emotionless and impartial arbiter. As we've seen though, that doesn't work for some edge cases like Episodes 1 & 2, hence why he's now got an assistant to call him on his actions occasionally.

cammy14 posted:

While I don't think Misaki really deserved being voided, she's definitely the worse of the two just because her abusive behavior must have hurt quite a few people over the years. I imagine the misgivings most people have toward the verdict is that she looked like she have the capability to change into a better person given the chance.

I do think Misaki actually loved her children. I don't think we ever saw her beating any of them, and the implication is that each of the five was from a different man, and she kept them all (instead of giving them away to be raised by another). I assume the disgusted look of the children was because of her self-absorbedness and willingness to exploit them for fame, but I get the feeling she only wanted to provide the best for them, and that requires money.

I like the dichotomy of this episode: On one side, a woman who never knew love; On the other, a guy who rejected love (and broke down when he realized a mother would ram someone's head through an arcade monitor if it gets her back to kids that don't even like her)

Another thing I liked: Misaki's final look of defiance as the elevator door closes.

Misaki was fundamentally in it for herself. She even derides her own children as worthless when they turn up as an attack that turns out to be pretty weak. And the short of it is that she got sent to the Void because all she'd do is make bad decisions all over again.

tlarn posted:

Well there's the thread title to go with the anime title.

Actually, I've got a contender; It's not about whether they win or lose, it's how they play the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AnacondaHL posted:

A few things: first, are some of you using a translation that says Queendecim? I'm pretty sure it's just supposed to be Quindecim, or the number 15.

If you look carefully, you can see the bottom of "Quindecim" as a sign above the bar..

Kegslayer posted:

Had the mother and the otaku switched places then I don't think there's any doubt that things would have been different. After all it's Decim himself who highlights that things are never fair.

If all you've known in your whole life is surviving by any means necessary then you'd do exactly that if you ended up in Quindecim. I don't think her wanting to win the game even by beating up the otaku is a sign that she was beyond redemption. I can't imagine that there isn't a loving parent who wouldn't lie, cheat or steal to protect their children.

Had the mother been given more time on earth then I think she would have mellowed out. After all, even in her final moments all she could think about was her children.

You've got the emphasis wrong. They weren't her CHILDREN, they were HER children. Everything was about her, and even as a mother she had little sympathy or kindness for others, which is what lead to her own murder and continued to show right to the point of braining the guy into the arcade monitor. There's a difference between doing anything for your kids and going for the sociopath option of straight-off manipulating a stranger to put yourself ahead of whatever happens because you want to come out on top. Hell, she even put her kids on a reality TV show. In the end she was her own worst victim, and the product of her own poor life choices. She got flushed to the void because that cycle of poor choices would've just occurred all over again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Phobophilia posted:

And did we see emotional abuse? The worse we saw was her offloading responsibilities to her oldest children while she worked at home. No alcoholism, no drugs, no screaming at the kids, none of those cliches.

Multiple abusive spouses, and however many men she drunkenly dragged home. Take a moment to remember just how small a cheap japanese apartment is in regard to that second one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Xelkelvos posted:

Yeah, that was a very good depiction of bimbo-esque individuals like Harada. Of course, the icing on the cake was the bomb. I almost did a spit take when I saw that since I was expecting him to jump out of the window out of grief

After all the relatively serious deaths, I was not expecting a loving clock bomb on a silver platter :munch:. Or for her death to be as anticlimactic as slipping in the shower.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Funimation's doing Broadcast Dubs of several new series, including Death Parade.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Paracelsus posted:

I'm not sure if the masks when the players arrive are supposed to indicate their intended destination. Have we seen them change for the various arrivals?

When the bowling couple left, both of them were very clearly getting reincarnated.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lurking Haro posted:

The young guy in Death Billiards was stabbed, if it's part of the continuity.
So except for Darts and Bowling, it always involved a murdered person. There are currently 0.3 murders per 100,000 inhabitants in Japan.
Either Decim simply gets a lot of murder cases, or the murder rate is really high.

Well these are meant to be exceptional cases even if they died at the same time, so I doubt a little old lady passing away of old age is going to turn up. Plus we just saw Nona explicitly drop a pair of special cases on Decim.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AnacondaHL posted:

This episode made it confusing whether humans are even supposed to be able to end up as an Arbiters Incorporated employees.

Pretty sure they aren't. Nona seems to be breaking a lot of rules, and black-haired girl's something she's trying to keep from Oculus.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just as an idle thought with all the system-breaking shenanigans going on, what do you reckon the odds are of Decim having a human eye under his hair?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pyronic posted:

My understanding is that the Chiyuki doll was *the* doll she had been inhabiting throughout the show. When they're in the pit of discarded dolls, Chiyuki asks Decim if this is where she'll end up and he makes a point of telling her that she won't, and she thanks him for it.

I liked the little book-end of the credits where it showed the Chavvot dolls sitting in Chiyuki's doll hands instead of her human ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ViggyNash posted:

I think ending with Chiuki departure was a good place to end, but I'll be kind of disappointed if they don't follow this up with something else, at least an OVA. There's a lot of very compelling side details that were provided but never really explained, and the conflict b/w Nona and Lotus Beard (forgot his name) fell flat because it seemed they didn't quite know what to do with it.

It did have a bit of resolution; Rule 4.

• Locked thread