Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Lost my old clubs in a garage fire a year ago (RIP my beloved odyssey dual force rossie II) and haven't played since. The urge has arisen again, so it's time to shop. Last time I bought an iron set was years ago at Costco haha, what's the cool best way to buy clubs these days? I have a Golf Galaxy close by; since I'm 6'3" would it be worth going down and actually getting fitted? I was kind of planning on doing that for the driver and certainly for choosing a putter anyway, and then waiting for a good deal on irons/wedges online.

I'm by no means a good player (usually hovering around mid 90s), so I'm not under any illusions that spending a ton of time/money shopping will improve my game in a large way. At the same time, definitely starting anew here with 100% new gear so I'd like to do it somewhat right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Daric posted:

You can find used clubs that are 1-3 years old for fairly cheap. That's the route I'd go. Check Callaway Preowned and Second Swing.

Every manufacturer releases new clubs every year and there's not really that big a difference in the technologies. I'm actually going to get a driver pretty soon and since Callaway just announced a new one this morning, I'm betting the used Epics are going to go down in price quick.

Edit: Also wanted to clarify that your height should be fine. Unless you're 6'6" or taller, the standard club length will be fine for your height and skill level. If you're regularly shooting in the 70s it would probably be worth getting fitted to adjust lie angle and maybe club length.

Spent a considerable amount of company time today looking at those two sites, thank you.

I figured as much with club length/fitting; I've always done "fine" with standard irons but have also always been mildly curious if I was missing something.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

What a fun Ryder Cup. I'm not a USA! USA! guy but you better believe I'm rooting hard for the home guys once every two years.

Would have loved to see a reluctant grudge pairing of Brooks/Bryson though in alt shot. Would have either squashed the dumb rivalry or resulted in some kind of poolhall 4iron brawl on live television and embarrassed the US team for the rest of time, which in retrospect is why Stricker was chosen as captain and not me.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

*checking desperately for an Onion URL* lmfao

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Daric posted:

The Youtube feed is essentially all golf shots without much filler (no commercials, some background segments), a leaderboard that's easy to understand, way more cameras, way more microphones, no Nick Faldo, barely any "This happened a moment ago...", and most importantly it's easy to loving watch. You don't have to start the day on Peacock Premium, then jump to Golf Channel, then NBC for a few hours, all of which will require it to go off the air for 10-15 minutes, have several "In case you're just joining us this is what happened earlier" segments, be filled with commercials, and then we're stuck looking at Faldo fellate himself in the booth instead of watching actual golf being played.

Sitting in my office drinking coffee and having a good chortle over how true this is. I've started googling "where to watch ABC Tournament" on fridays to figure out which freaking streaming app to load in what order on what day.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Oh my God this playoff lmao

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Hit it Will, be a hero

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Play smart, win smart. What a fun playoff.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Keyser_Soze posted:

the answer is to:

1. Let the greens grow nice and slow and bumpy.
2. Same for the fairways
3. Let the rough get ankle deep and filled with hidden gopher holes (sprained ankles!)
4. Wheel out giant, portable trees to place in all the potential landing zones. (no, you can't move it)
5. Make every sandtrap a different sand type.
6. 30 second shot clock

I see you have played my local muni 9hole, and I look forward to seeing tournaments hosted there. I think the occasional car driving by and honking in your backswing on the 9th tee will add to the tournament atmosphere.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

mdemone posted:

One time I hit a cow in the pasture across the street.

A Tradition like No Other.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Internet Savant posted:

I'm out there to have fun in the end.

This is really the takeaway. Over the last few years one of my golf buddies and I have settled in on keeping individual scores for the front 9 - if someone is doing well then that continues for the back, otherwise if we're both struggling we switch to a 2man scramble for the rest of the round. It's so much more fun - suddenly pars are back on the table, shots become interesting again, etc. We end the back wishing we could play another 18 instead of feeling discouraged.

What's funny is how fascinated so many of our pairings are by this - granted we're usually playing local munis or similarly cheap courses, but people have never heard of scrambles or don't understand why we wouldn't keep individual score. We've tried to get other pairings to join us on the back 9 and they were confused at the entire concept, insisting on flailing their way to a 100+ round lol.

There's a lot of fun ways to play golf. It's not all sunday coverage of the pros gritting their way to a 67.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

That was absolutely insane.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Homa for President of the USA

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

mattfl posted:

gently caress yeah!

Homa has Ryder cup invites forever.

Harman too - he definitely was still playing with that chip on his shoulder from his treatment at the Open.

Anno posted:

So did Rickie just a) not know conceding that putt conceded the tournament or b) not want to miss his own 8 footer after rinsing the drive to lose it

Yeah, that was a strange one. I don't think it was either really, more of a case of golf decorum poisoning taking over in a moment of extreme disappointment? He had to know it was for the cup. I don't think he's the kinda guy to concede just to avoid the bogey he earned on his own.

Whatever it was, you gotta make Milfhunter putt that.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Oodles posted:

Why is this book game so fuckin expensive.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Very relatable. That hole continues to deliver.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Wow, that was 1 in 1,000,000. Legit feel bad for Clark.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

I've gotta say I don't like his caddie setting up over the putt himself, and standing behind Clark to help align him (even though they both back off before putting which makes it legal). Him and Harman both play pretty slow which was especially painful to watch during the last couple majors.

Yeah it's weird, not a huge fan myself - caddie holding a wedge 1/8" from a live ball was giving me the sweats all day. Combined with all the coverage of his sports psychologist it makes him out quite the headcase, but it's working for him and not breaking any rules so fuckin' do your thing man.

Harman's setup is excruciating to watch, but after he held out and stuck it to the entire trash-talking gallery and dickbag media at Royal Liverpool last year I will forever be a fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Scheffler needs to like, do mescaline and play 72 holes using only a putter or something holy crap. It's fascinating watching him be so dominant everywhere else and just lock up on the greens.