Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
This live posting isn't helping. Bogey on 13 but beauty of a tee shot on par 3 14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Wait, you have to hit your own balls on the range and then walk out and go pick them up?

I don't think I've ever heard of that, is that common in the UK?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Well I had a choke-tastic round last night. I'll post the scorecard later, but I played a round last night in some pretty strong winds from the back tees at my home course, which is like 7000 yards and a 74.1 rating.

I hit the ball just beautifully for most of the round. A few hiccups(mainly on the greens), but with how windy it was I was really happy with how I played. Some highlights:

hole 16, 230 yard par 3: This was playing right into the wind, I hit a 3 wood off the tee and hit the green but still about 30 feet short. Two putt par.

hole 18, 473 yard par 5: This hole was playing with a right to left wind, but slightly hurting. There is one part of the fairway if you hit it just right it will get a big bounce and give you probably an extra 30 yards distance, but it requires you to cut off a bit of a nasty waste bunker that you don't want to be in, especially from the black tees. I hit a perfect drive and had 120 yards to the pin. Hit a SW to about 3 feet and tapped in for birdie. I don't think I've ever birdied this hole from the blacks.

Now how about some low lights? I started on the 12th hole today so that I wouldn't have to wait on other groups, it's a 480 yard par 4 that was playing into the wind on the tee shot and then a cross breeze on the 2nd. I bogied that(which is fine, it was playing more like a par 5), then shot even par over the next 15 holes(1 bogey, 1 double and 3 birdies) leading into the 10th.

10th hole: Hit a good drive in the fairway, then an okay approach to about 30 feet and three putt :(.

11th hole, short par 5 playing downwind: After hitting all but one fairway on the day, I hit a ridiculously bad tee shot about 40 yards OB. :suicide:. Then take 5 more strokes to get in the hole and I finish with a nice double bogey on what I think is the easiest par 5 on the course. FML.

Oh, did I mention that I doubled the par 5 4th? No OB on that hole though, I was sitting at 110 yards after my 2nd shot and took a 7.

Here's something that doesn't happen to me everyday:

par 3's: Even.
par 4's: Even.
par 5's: +4.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

zinc68 posted:

Doc, looks like I should be good to go for golfing anytime next week. I'd prefer that we play at a slightly less $$ course anywhere in the metro, but if you can wrangle up any type of deal for me at SB, I'd be game to tee it up there.

Let me know!

Sweeeet, I think it's $65 w/cart if you play with me at Stoneridge, Maybe $49 or $55 if we walk? I will have to double check those, but I know it's a fairly significant discount off the rack rate.

If that's too much I'm down for grabbing twilight somewhere. I'm up in the NE metro but can travel just about anywhere on weekends(weekdays are tougher since I just started a new job).

How would next Saturday or Sunday morning work? Otherwise I can do after work one day, would probably should for Wednesdays or Mondays as they tend to be less busy.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Isn't Allenby the same guy who claimed he was kidnapped or something and held hostage but it turned out he was just on like a weekend long bender and couldn't explain where he was or how he got there?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Yo zinc, you still up for playing a round this coming weekend? Let me know which day works best for you and we can set something up.

Also, leaving for a corporate scramble in about an hour. Apparently there are some pretty good golfers at this company, I'm predicting something ridiculous like a 57 wins it.

They have hole competitions on EVERY hole though, I've never seen that before. There's like four or five longest drive holes.

DoctaFun fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 27, 2015

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

EnsGDT posted:

Ok so you're approaching the point where it's time to start practicing effectively!

I use Mike McFadden's teaching philosophies.

When I go to the range, I never hit more than three balls in a row with any club. Those three balls are always a grouped set of shots. I'll hit three balls that move left to right, or three balls that go right to left, or go straight. Then I switch clubs and switch shot types. High shots, low shots, hands in front of the face, hands even with the face, hands behind the face, etc etc. Any variation you can think of.

I try and see golf as a series of problems to be solved. The ball has to go from where it is, to a different spot. Oh, there's a tree in the way though. And if I could make it go left to right that would help me avoid it. Basically what I'm looking to do on the range is build solutions to those problems. What does it feel like when I need to make a ball move a certain way, or have a certain trajectory?

Golf is just a series of problems that you're trying to solve, one shot at a time. The bigger your filing cabinet of potential solutions is in your brain that you can draw on, the better your ability to adapt something to solve the problem is.

I would hesitate to tell someone who just broke 100 for the first time a couple rounds ago that they need to practice hitting draws, fades and straight shots at different trajectories while on the range. Effective practice? Build confidence by not being able to hit a draw or a fade or a high or a low shot. You'll feel great heading to the first tee after hitting 6 out of 50 balls even remotely close to how you wanted to.

I like the idea of not hitting the same club over and over, but for someone who is still trying to make a consistent swing, adding shape and trajectory(that's like NINE different shapes to practice: fade/straight/draw, hi/medium/low) seems like a disaster.

Work on making CONSISTENT contact and live with your natural shot shape. I'm a 2 handicap and I've hit probably 3 fades with my irons all year, I naturally hit a bit of a draw.

Spend as much or more time practicing chipping/putting than at the range would be my advice to someone shooting ~100.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Giant Goober posted:

Oh dear, I had my first telling off for not meeting the dress code. Turns out my socks weren't white or plain enough. Thankfully the guest pack the course hands out contains white ankle socks so crisis averted. I guess if they are handing out socks to guests I can't be the first to have gotten it wrong. Should have just worn pants and it wouldn't have been a problem :(

You my friend, are indeed, a giant goober.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Kameh posted:

I agree that a good pair of golf shorts is better than cargo shorts hands down, but cotton cargo shorts aren't uncomfortable in the heat.

Also, you know how many ladies I got in high school while wearing cargo shorts and zip off cargo pants?

Is it the amount of major championships that Sergio Garcia has won?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Nothing says solid feel like a rattly, telescoping shaft.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Suprfli6 posted:

The difference being that Spieth has played in 77 events and won 7, Woods won 18 in his first 77. Still, Spieth is unquestionably the best player in the world and a lot more consistent than any of the other top guys.

That's true, but Spieth has won 2 majors to Tiger's 1(by age 23). Obviously, Spieth has a long ways to go to start talking about his and Tiger's careers in the same breath.

That said, I think the level of competition in 2015 is crazy compared to that in 1995, and to see Spieth dominate like this the past 10 months is definitely worthy of comparison to Woods.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I haven't been on WRX for awhile, but how long until some of these sets start popping up?

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/14727750/bob-parsons-pxg-clubs-going-5k-set-turning-heads-tour

Only $300 an iron!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I think it's no coincidence that I've been golfing less the last year or so and golf sales have gone down. I don't have to be a statistician to tell you that this correlation is the root cause. I'd be happy to get back into golf for the low price of $10 million.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

DJExile posted:

Catching a hybrid with square contact is something very close to golf heroin.

I think catching just about any iron perfectly is better than catching a hybrid, but that could just be my opinion.

I only have success hitting my hybrid when I do take a little bit of a divot. If I try to sweep it then the shot shall suck.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Unknownmass posted:

There is only like two situations that a 60 can do that a 56 can not.

I would honestly recommend the exact opposite. I like having more short game options, and I'd much rather have a specific club(that I can swing ~100%) in the 100-140 yard range(I de-loft my irons a bit so my 60 degree is 110 - 115 full swing).

If I only carried one wedge(it would be a 56), but I wouldn't have a 130-140 club, or a <120 club. Those a prime scoring areas! Anytime I have <135 into the green I know I have a chance at a birdie.

Also, from the rough around the green I MUCH prefer to have a 60 degree than a 56.

I played my first round in probably 10 months this past weekend. I was....rusty. Amazingly, the first 4-5 times I pulled out my driver I hit absolutely beautiful drives, long and straight. Then I must have realized that I don't normally hit my driver straight and really struggled with it on the back nine. Shot a 78, 36/42. Front nine was ridiculous. Bogied the first hole after topping my tee shot, then eagled the par 5 2nd hole by holing out from 60 yards :psyduck:. Should have actually shot one under on the front, but I had a 5 foot par putt lip out on the 8th hole :(.

Overall I was pretty happy with how I played, I'm out of golf shape though, was not rotating my hips well and it showed with a lot of pulled/snappy iron shots. Can't complain about shooting a 78 though, was expecting more like an 85.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Unknownmass posted:

I completely understand what you, Mattfl, and Suprfli6 are saying as I am in the same camp and carry 4 wedges. I was replying very late to someone who has been playing a year asking about getting more skilled/confident with the 110 and closer distance. The three of you are quite good at golf and if I remember this thread from years past Docta, you were competing at a high level. I would imagine you have swung each of your wedges more then a player of 1 year has swung all of their clubs combined. What helped my short game the most was only using my 47 PW and a 56 sand wedge for anything about 140 out or less. After a season or two of this I was pretty confident with different shots and then moved to more wedges. But this is golf, do what ever you want as long as you have fun.

That's totally fair, I maybe jumped in a bit quick there. I wouldn't recommend for a beginner to just buy 4 wedges on day one. I had great luck by just adding a 56 degree sand wedge to my bag and using that for everything around the green and anything within whatever distance in the fairway.

I think as you get comfortable and more consistent with your ball striking and yardages is when you should think about adding more 'scoring range clubs'.

Sorry, I've been just skimming this thread lately as I don't get to golf match anymore :(, jumped in there a bit quick :).

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

daslog posted:

30 to 70 yard chips. I'm starting to realize how important these shots are.

Is this like, "I mishit my second shot so now I'm 50 yards away from the green in the rough", or is this, "I hit driver, 5 iron on a par 5 to 50 yards" or "I hit driver off the tee and am now 60 yards from the green".

If it's the first one that's cool, if it's the other two then you might want to work on course management. Most people(pros included) will avoid the 30-50 yard range because it's tough to get a lot of spin from that distance and it can make for some difficult approach/pitch shots, especially on firm greens or tight pins.

Well, I mean pros can still get a lot of spin because they are ungodly good ball strikers, but they still have trouble yardages they avoid. Think holes 13 and 15 at Augusta, if they aren't going for the green in two, they are normally laying back to a comfortable wedge range(maybe more like 70-90 yards), you don't usually see them laying up all the way to the edge of the water on either hole(I guess 15 obviously because it slopes down towards the water I think).

So, if that's the case, find a wedge or something and practice your full and 3/4 shots until your really comfortable from some yardage, for me it's like 100-115 yards, that's perfect lob wedge range for me. Knowing that, I try to hit a tee shot or layup or what have you so that it leaves me ~100-115 yards into the green. So find that magic number and try to get yourself there as many times as possible during your round.

I do realize though, that it's impossible to completely remove that yardage from the game, so it's still great to practice so that you're at least confident in getting the ball on the green from there.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

sarehu posted:

Yes. This is a 100% known fact for pro golfers when they choose to put themselves in the situation, it's also a 100% known fact for me, a 10 hcp golfer that doesn't practice the shot, and I'm happy to bet it's true for you. Also you're better from 70 yards in the rough than 125 from the fairway. (But not if you're behind a tree.)

On that hole if you could hit from closer "for free" instead of having substantially increased chance of hitting in the water, it would be in your interest to do so.

Also, if you're hitting a wedge into a hole like that, there's no real benefit of having a certain angle, unless you really do miss long/short more than left/right.

I think there are more factors at play here personally. Course layout seems pretty important. Is there any numbers on like 'average length of a par 4' for pga tournaments? When on average the par 4's are 430 yards long, then yeah, hitting driver and getting yourself <150 into the green is a lot better than laying up with a 3 wood or 2 iron to 160-180. Mainly because that's a wedge/short iron vs mid/long iron. I'm definitely in agreement there.

But if the situation is more 40-70 yards(rough/bunkers/water/etc more in play because hitting driver) vs 80-110 yards(higher odds of hitting fairway) I'm not sure if it's as clear cut? I dunno, maybe it is.

I also think that it goes without saying that the ability to hit knock down, 1/2 swing, one hop stop style pitches varies significantly from a pro to an amateur. My home course has a lot of crowned greens with really tight fairways, there's one hole in particular that is ~310 yards long but a sharp dogleg right. I can drive the green on occasion, but a mishit drive will leave me like 40-50 yards to a really shallow, crowned, firm green. I'm like 50/50 hitting the green from that distance on that hole, but more like 80% if I'm 100 yards out.

The biggest difference for me is when I hit a full wedge the ball stops when it hits the green. I can't say the same for a 30-50 yard shot(I will get some run out on these most of the time). So, if I have a tight angle or the green is especially shallow, that makes the shorter shot more challenging.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Hello golf thread, where have you been all my life?

My wife and I had a baby last summer so I only golfed maybe 6 times all year. It was a sad year for golf.

This summer is not shaping up to be much better, although I did join my company's golf league. Some big shots heard I was a good golfer and asked me to join their team, should be interesting.

I played 18 holes at a local private club my parents are joining, shot 41/36 which I was pretty happy with. Was missing some distance control on ~90 yard shots, but was striking the ball surprisingly well with my irons.

Looking forward to golfposting a bit more this year :).

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Agree with Kameh, no way a laser range finder slows down play if it's in the right hands.

Speaking of slow play, I played 18 holes with my parents and sister on Saturday. Overall it was pretty fun, I shot a 79, 41 on the front and 37 on the back. 41 on the front includes three penalty strokes and double bogey on a par 3, blech. Round could have been a lot uglier but I made some long putts. I don't think I've putted this well in years.

My mom is just absolutely the slowest golfer though, I legit play worse around her cause I'm waiting about ten minutes in between shots. It took us 4 4.5 hours to play and we never had to wait a single time. That's just toooooo long. She has this huge pre-shot routine to try to eliminate her golf anxiety and it takes her like a full minute to hit every shot from the time she steps up the the ball. That's not factoring in the hemming and hawing over what club to hit. Her and my sister also have just zero course awareness, my mom doesn't watch to see where her shot goes so it's constantly "have you seen my ball?", then they will drive to one ball and wait to hit it. Then drive to the other one, INSTEAD OF DROPPING SOMEONE OFF AND HITTING ALMOST AT THE SAME TIME.

Tough to get much momentum going when you literally have to wait for ten other shots to be played between each of your shots.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Bilirubin posted:

OK golf thread. Not to stir up a hornet's nest of controversy, but I am trying to get a decent handle on the factors that would help one decide between good old fashioned forged blades and GI clubs. I see a lot of posturing by both sides over on Golf WRX but little substantive discussion of pros and cons.

My old clubs are I guess old GI clubs--clones of Ping Karstens--and hitting them I have absolutely no problem getting them up high off the ground with what turns out to be very high spin. Part of me thinks I should be heading to get my dad's old Wilson Staffs instead of getting new GI irons. Anyway, I'll be getting fit after a few lessons and will be asking my instructor about these variables in selecting new irons, but to kick things off and to aid my further research, what should I be considering?

(FWIW, grip changes own and I wish I had done this years ago--midsized Crosslines are almost perfect for my hands. Going to get the rest of the set done now I think.)

Depends what you mean by GI club. Take Ping's lineup for instance, they have:

GMax - super GI
G series - GI
I series - GI / 'player'
iBlade - 'player'

I think you'll find similar setups across manufacturers. Honestly, that one step down from blades is such a great compromise in both directions it's hard to argue with it. Pretty thin topline, small to moderate offset, medium clubhead size. I play Ping S56 irons, which were their old 'blade'(although they are much less of a blade than like Titleist MBs) mainly because it has minimal offset and that's something I care about.

There's a very good chance I'd be better off playing the I series though. If you don't strike the ball very consistently then it's tough to recommend blades, mishits are punished much more than on a GI club. Slight mishit on a GI club might mean front of the green or just short as opposed to middle. Mishit on blade could be 10-20 yards short.

Workability get's brought up a lot and it's a fair point, not sure how relevant it is for 98% of golfers though. So you hit your drive behind a tree, a blade might help you hook it around it more than a cavity back, but do you have that shot in your bag?

The other distinguishing factor from blades to the next level down is trajectory, blades will likely hit the ball on a lower trajectory, which might be important for you or might not.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Bilirubin posted:

This is a great post, thanks! Really explains why there are so many different club numbers. I guess the biggest question I will have to answer is whether the high spin I am getting is due to my swing or the clubs I am swinging currently, then optimize. I like the idea of the iseries though because I'm probably (when in my groove) about a 8 or 9 of 10 consistent hitter. That last one or two however are round determining in total.

Not to make things more convoluted or anything, but shafts can be a culprit in how much spin you are getting on any of your clubs too, so don't overlook that!

I had my first night of golf league last night, played better than my score. Shot a 44, didn't make a putt over 3 feet, and played the par 5s at +4. Absolute garbage.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Lol, just found out the guy I played against who had a 14 handicap for nine holes, shot ten under his cap for a net 26.

I did not earn many points...

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
So speaking of Si Woo Kim, what ever happened to Anthony Kim? He was all the rage for awhile, he had like his own posse or something didn't he? I can't remember what happened to him.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
My golf league got cancelled last night because of potential rain/thunderstorms. I went out and hit range balls at a course that's ~10 miles north. I was able to then hop on and play probably 27 holes or so(in a total random order). Meanwhile, 10 miles south they had golf ball sized hail!

I'm testing a grip change out, weakening my grip substantially in an effort to keep from de-lofting and/or over-releasing the clubface at impact. It's a change I've been trying to implement lacklusterly for years, but finally decided why the hell not. The results so far are quite promising. I'm getting a lot more height on my iron shots, and a MUCH straighter ball flight. In the past it's been extremely rare for me to hit an iron shot dead straight, there is always a bit of draw and sometimes I'll completely overcook it.

I 'missed' a fair amount of shots while I played, but every miss was more or less a block to the right and a bit short. Which is usually less penal than a huge low hook long and left. I tell you what though, I hit some of the most beautiful long iron shots of my life last night. I played the last nine holes straight up, instead of hitting multiple shots, bounced around the course but managed to play 2 par 3s, 2 par 5s and 5 par 4s, so it was more or less a regulation 9 holes.

Shot an even par 36 with 3 birdies and 1 penalty stroke(tried to hit a fade with my drive and hit a terrible push slice OB). Some highlights.

Hole 10: uphill par 3, 205 yards with a TINY, crowned green. It's normally a nightmare, extremely difficult to hit and hold the green, especially if you have a low ball flight. Google maps shows the green to be about 20 paces wide and 20 paces deep, perfectly circular. I hit a 5 iron that went straight as an arrow, high, and settled 4 feet from the hole. I could play that hole 100 times and never get closer than that. Made the birdie putt too :).

Hole 17: 538 yard par 5, hit an okay drive, blocked my layup a little right and in the rough, and hit a lob wedge from 100 yards to 2 feet. My wedges felt so much more accurate in my hands than normal(and I normally feel pretty good about my wedges)

There's still a bit of work to do with my driver/woods, but I hit some good drives and when I did miss the fairway it wasn't by much.

Anyways, feels good man, need to get out and work on ingraining the changes as I still don't feel like I have complete control of the clubhead, but one thing I noticed is that my clubhead stays more square for a lot longer of a time than when my grip was stronger. If my timing was off or I didn't quite finish my swing, the ball wasn't too far off line. I'm hoping this brings some more consistency to my iron game.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

daslog posted:

My league is slow as poo poo sometimes because it's a shotgun start and a couple holes start with A and B foursomes. At the horn, one group tees off and the other waits.

I've been reading some golf books, and they all say that golfers need to focus more on 120 yards and in. So I've been tracking that stuff, and I'm coming to the conclusion that my pitching game needs work. How do you good golfers even decide what club/swing to take at 60, 40, or 20 yards?

I definitely just use my 60 degree wedge for anything under 115 or so. It takes a lot of practice to get that touch/feel down for half shots though. At this point I'm pretty comfortable in the 75-115 range, I try to stay away from the 40-75 yard range if I can manage though. I'm just not comfortable there. It took a lot of range balls to get comfortable though, I used to have a membership to a club with a nice range with greens and pins at multiple yardages, so I'd hit hundreds of range balls a night just with my lob wedge. It's a lot less fatiguing to hit half wedge shots than it is to hit driver, so I could do it for hours without getting worn out. Then you can experiment with lofting/de-lofting if necessary.

To some extent you can control that by club selection on the tee on par 4s and layups on par 5s, but ultimately you'll get into situations where you have a weird yardage.

Speaking of books, anyone have any good recommendations? Like non-instruction golf books? I highly recommend reading all three of the Mark Frost books, especially if you are at all interested in learning more about the old school greats(Hogan, Nelson, Jones, Hagen, etc.).

'The Match' is a pretty short book but it's absolutely fascinating and a great story of a best ball match between Ben Hogan/Byron Nelson and Harvie Ward/Ken Venturi, there's also some really cool continuity between 'The Greatest Game Ever Played' and 'The Match', Eddie Lowery(the ten year old caddy for Francis Ouimet) plays a key role. It will also really make you want to play Cypress Point(but you won't ever be able to).

The Grand Slam is also really great and drives home the point of how different golf was in that era. The whole dynamic between professional and amateur golfers at that point in time is really interesting. Also just putting yourself in their shoes, playing golf in the blazing hot summer down south, in a wool suit. Or traveling to England for The Open...by boat.

Basically, just read all three of those books if you like golf at all.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Had a pretty good round for golf league on Tuesday. Ended up shooting 40, but it felt like a 37.

I was even through 5 holes, and the two par 5s are #7 and #9, so I was thinking about red numbers. Then went double, bogey, par, bogey. Including a bogey on the par 5 7th after being next to the green in two :suicide:. Then hit one OB off the tee on 9. God, could have been a stellar round.

I was playing against a scratch golfer who's league handicap is a 5(mine is 6) because he had a really bad first day this year. He shot 37 and I only lost by one hole, so I at least kept it close.

Pretty excited about the season though, my grip change is really helping my iron play(for the most part, it's not completely ingrained yet) and with a bit more time I think it will help my tee game too.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

daslog posted:

Been practicing my short game. For you golfers that shoot below 90, how often do you chip and then 2 putt?

Tough question to answer without me logging my rounds anymore. Earlier this week I, got up and down 3 out of 5 times. A lot of this depends on your strategy/approach play. It's a lot easier to get up and down when you leave yourself in a decent spot. I've been trying harder to stay below the hole with my approach shots whenever possible, which helps a lot. Or shoot towards a fatter part of the green if the pin is tucked.

I'd say in reasonable situations I probably get up and down 30% of the time. Higher on my good day.s

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
It probably goes without saying, but if you are decent at your 3-8 foot putts then your ability to get up and down increases significantly.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I stopped by Golf Galaxy yesterday just to look around, it's been a really long time since I've stopped in a golf shop. I hit a few drivers, always tough to really gauge results, but the new Titleist, Callaway Epic and Ping G30 all seemed to go about the same distance for me. The Epic has a definite egg shell thunk sound too it that I kind of like, kind of dislike. Titleist as always has that nice *tink* sound.

I was getting up to 165mph ball speed in my work clothes/shoes, which translates to a bit over 110 mph clubhead speed, so that's good!

I really need to spend some time with the driver on the range though, the problem is I wear out pretty quick doing that and then it becomes counter productive. Anyone have any tips for being more consistent off the tee? I think that's my biggest problem area right now.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Double post, I just was looking through some course websites and I decided to look at Cedar Valley, a course in SE MN that I played a whole lot when I was in college. They have added some hole descriptions and they are....pretty funny. There are three nines, so that's why the hole numbers repeat.

quote:

Hole 3 is a massive dog leg left. The accurate driver should be able to slice the corner and really make the hole short for himself or herself. The green is large but fair. Go for broke on this hole.

The old 'accurate slice around the corner to the left'. Going for broke on this hole is a terrible idea, if you overshoot the dogleg you are completely stymied and need to punch back to the fairway.

quote:

Hole 4 is the toughest par 3 on the course. It is not very long but the green is very difficult to stick off the tee. The green is heavily angulated and very fast. Any spin and your tee shot is likely to roll off. Be happy with par on hole 4.

Those dang angulated greens!

quote:

"Hole 4 is one of the most difficult holes on the course. The tee shot is wide open; however, the green is heavily sloped from back to front. If the pin is in the front, play short of the green and chip. You under do not want to be above the hole on this green."

I like the tip to purposefully miss the green and chip. If you miss this green short with a short iron(ie: a ball that you hit into the air), you will roll back and be like 20 yards short of the green.

quote:

"Hole 6 is an average length par 3. It plays down hill and often times down wind. It usually plays about one club less. The green is very angulated so take your time with your putt."

Those angulated greens are back!

quote:

Hole 5 is a touch hole. It is short on paper but plays very long. It is straight uphill and the green is very small. Land on the green and you should have a nice chance for birdie. If you don’t land on the green be very happy with par.

Note, hole 5 does not play uphill at all, in face it is downhill.

quote:

Hole 6 is a driving hole. The entire hole is composes of huge rolling hills. Clear the first and you will roll the rest of the way to the hole. You must hit your drive at least to the top of the large hill otherwise you are looking at bogey or worse. The green is huge and has two large
tiers. A good play on your approach shot is off the back hill.

They keep saying 'driving hole', which I think means 'not a par 3'. The third sentence is great, if you clear the first hill on this hole you'll roll down and be ~125 yards from the hole. The suggestion that you will roll all the way to the hole is a funny visual though.

It's kind of cute, but also a bit sad :smith:.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Dimebag posted:

Reading the comments on this elsewhere, just throwing in my 2c.

I don't think their is ever an excuse for drunk driving but the problem I've got with this situation is that Tiger is being turned into a martyr for doing something that happens day in and day out at golf courses around the world.

Every week I see guys driving home after sinking well above the legal limit, did he do something stupid of course but let's not pretend that he's the only golfer to ever drink and drive. He's famous and in the public eye, it should mean he is more careful. Everyone loves John Daly because the guy was open and honest about his drinking, if he got done for a DUI no one would raise an eyebrow because we would expect it.

I mean at this point Tiger is probably a mess, however many surgeries and event withdrawals, he's obviously dealing with some poo poo mentally. That's what the story should be, let's help this guy not let's pile on this guy when he's at his lowest point.

The story quoted above says he was picked up at 3 AM, so I doubt it was after golfing(I haven't actually read anything else though, so if that's wrong I apologize).

But drunk driving is a lovely thing to do whether you're tiger or Joe Schmo. Having hundreds of millions of dollars and not getting a friggin limo or personal driver or something is lame as poo poo. Joe Schmo who has one too many and is thinking, 'drat, I don't get paid for a week and that $70 taxi ride would really put me behind' is a more relatable/sympathetic story than millionaire athlete can't pick up his phone and call his chauffeur.

Tigers story is not synpathetic, boo hoo I'm only the wealthiest golfer of all time and I got caught cheating on my wife 100 times and now I'll only go down as the 2nd best golfer of all time :(((((.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Nerdrock posted:

Golf Megathread 2017: Tiger's BAC!

Amazing.

I had golf league last night, ended up shooting 39, which I'm happy with. I hit 3 greens in regulation and had 0 birdies, so my short game was on. Apart from the 150 yard par 3 that I doubled, hit into greenside bunker and then skulled the first bunker shot over the green into another bunker(not a lot of sand in the bunker). Then over compensated and barely got the ball out of the next bunker, two putt double :(.

I did well to keep the ball below the hole on most holes, so most of my chips were uphill. I managed to par both par 5s, even though both my tee shots were terrible. On the first one I had 180 yards into the green for my third shot, into the wind. I hit probably the purest 6 iron I've ever hit, directly over the flag, about 12 feet from the hole.

I need to get to the range and work out the kinks with my driver though, didn't really hit a good drive all round apart from a 4 hybrid and 6 iron.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Bilirubin posted:

Man. On the one hand, after a round and a couple of buckets of balls, I am seeing the swing tweeks have improved the straightness of my irons, and even the fairway woods off the deck are long and straight. But the driver is taking mad peels to the right, even with the slowest of swings and an extremely forward ball placement.

Golf.

I could be wrong, but I've often felt that putting the ball too far forward in your stance can lead to open face syndrome. I feel as though I'm having to reach to get the club face to the ball , and if the ball is too far forward it's a lot tougher to turn that clubhead over when the club is already past your front foot.

But maybe your extreme placement is the same as I"m thinking.

This is also coming from a guy who had the worst round of his life with a driver last weekend.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I've been struggling with my grip change for the last week and a half or so, but last night had a mini-revelation.

I was taking the club back way too steep, which meant I wasn't really rotating my torso at all. I started bringing the club back more inside and holy crap, best iron play of my life. I'm actually confident standing over a 5 iron now, and my short irons are spinning back on the greens. However, I am still struggling a lot with my woods. I played 18 last night and shot 79, the back nine I shot 41 and I only hit 1 fairway. Had to hit punch shots on 6 holes because I hit poor tee shots. Front nine I got luckier when I missed the fairway.

I did however do something I don't think I've ever done before. I was -1 on the par 3s. I hit 4 beautiful tee shots on those holes, exactly where I aimed, good distance control too. They weren't super short par 3s either, 155, 168, 180 and 170. Not super long either I suppose, but I wasn't hitting wedges or anything. It felt like I hit every green where I had a clear shot into it yesterday, and that is rare for me.

If I could get the driver under control I could be pretty dangerous!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
How wide are the really thick fescue areas? If they are wide enough then is it possible the two club lengths you get from a drop don't even really do you any good?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Shot 40 in my league last night. Didn't actually hit the ball well at all so that's probably the best I could hope for. But I made no putts. Two three putts and a few like 5-8 footers that I missed really hurt me.

My opponent got two shots on me. We both shot our handicap score(40 and 42) exactly, and we tied 7 holes and each won one. I don't know if it could have been closer. I failed to birdie the last par 5 when I was sitting at 177 to the flag after my drive. Hurts.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I played a heavily wooded course yesterday evening. I was playing alone and decided to go for a stroll through the woods on a few holes.

I found 98 balls, which is about 92 more than I lost, so that's good.

Hit my irons ridiculously good, driver okay, chipping and putting awesome. I moved to left hand low on my putter and I made every putt inside of 8 feet yesterday, it was monumental.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Suprfli6 posted:

Cleveland will be releasing a full line of clubs later this year. When I get my set in a month I'll post pics if I'm allowed.

I thought Cleveland was just doing wedges/putters and they are branding all their woods/irons as Srixon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
A work buddy of mine is playing in the MN Amateur today, pretty excited to see what he shoots. He's a better golfer than me, no doubt, but not by a ton. Gives me hope that I could qualify someday.

They are playing at interlachen, which is where bobby jones won the US open in 1930, the year of his grand slam. A quick look at the scores posted so far tell me the course is setup pretttty tough.