Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

I don't understand how GT have managed to toss this game after so thoroughly out-picking Snake in champ select.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Sivir has been all over LPL tonight too. Guess she's the new hotness.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Flameingblack posted:

Jax just casually 4v1'ing in the baron pit.

Shaka, when the walls fell.
Jax, in the baron pit.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Sexpansion posted:

I don't understand the Olaf pick at all but hey whatevs.

Olaf's quietly one of the more powerful junglers recently - I tend to follow what pro players are doing since it's the role I play the most, and they've been using him to counter some of the more CC-heavy team comps that can result when you have something like Annie support + Kalista + Lissandra top on the opposing team.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Did not see that coming. I guess no longer sitting in the same room when they play means that C9 can't teamfight for poo poo anymore. That's the most shocking thing, really - in both games, C9's core strength as a group has been nonexistent.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

I miss when junglers were powerful enough and laners were bad enough that people actually died to jungle ganks and it didn't require this 4-man insanity.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Invalid Validation posted:

Who could have predicted C9 wouldn't perform as good during the first half of the split, the data just isn't there.

C9 had never lost a day one game before last week, so, uh, yes?

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Flameingblack posted:

Why don't professional college teams have these problems? Do they just need more coaching staff and life coaches and basically a nanny to tell them to go the gently caress to sleep

College teams do have those problems though. If you're looking at analogizing to something like Division 1 football or basketball, players there effectively have their entire lives modulo 1-2 hours of free time a day regimented by their coaches. But yeah, we're in an odd space where there's juuuust enough of the money of professional sports that the support mechanisms start being worthwhile and mandatory to the performance of the team (hence Team Liquid's apparently insane support structure and regimented schedules), but we don't have the full-on 3-4 support staff for every player that you see in the big money sports.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Flameingblack posted:

re: Incarnati0n, people usually don't get over anger issues THAT easily. It's only been two years and I don't think he's had that much time to mature. What that means is if he were ever unbanned and messed up once, he would completely ruin any team he were on. Maybe he's a lot calmer now, but is the risk worth the reward? We saw what happened to SK at World's last year (Their Jungler using a racist name for his summoner and get banned for half of the group stages could have cost them a big opportunity at advancing)

C9 seems to have some organizational indecision - LoL and Hearthstone both focus on their players being as marketable and well-behaved as possible, but their Dota 2/CS:GO squads have prioritized talent first. So yeah, should be interesting to see how he turns out. He's definitely insanely talented.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

c9 is seriously the most fratty / least mature group of guys in pro league. That's not something I give a poo poo about, personally, but probably the team who famously got voice com highlighted shotcalling "cumshot in 5" doesn't care much if InCarNation was rude.

While it's certainly not optimal, and I'm not going to make the argument that it's perfect behavior, there's a world of difference between immature jokes and the racism/ableism/foam-at-the-mouth tirades you see from other players. On the spectrum of things 19-20yr old men constantly in the public spotlight are capable of, C9's on the fairly tame side.

quote:

He's comparing them to Eternal Envy so

Also this.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Invalid Validation posted:

Every manaless champion is either on the top of pick lists or nerfed into oblivion. There is not one that hasn't been a prime pick at one point.

Garen and Tryndamere are both stretching pretty hard.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

tryndamere was hella broken for like 2 patches because of split pushing as ap lol

garens too binary to be good. hes kinda riveny except never powerful and also more binary.

Yeah but the only competitive play that was out there at the time was Challenger series so it doesn't count.

LPL is on and the most recent match looks fun. OMG vs. Snake, Liss/Rengar/Cass/Sivir/Thresh vs. Jarvan/Nunu/Xerath/Trist (old)/Janna.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Flipswitch posted:

Not much chance of that, he's a big skin seller and people love to watch him in the pro scene because of the ~play potential~. Same with Lee Sin.

I'd offer a counterpoint - PROJECT:Yasuo was the best-selling skin of last year (citation: http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/2tylju/riot_which_skin_in_the_game_has_been_sold_the_most/) and they effectively dumpstered the champion out of competitive. I really don't think their balance team is looking at that stuff when they're making the decisions about what's good and bad for the game.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Balls just is not effective on Gnar. I think it's just a mismatch between player style and character.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

It's specifically Gnar - he was fine yesterday on Irelia.

They beat the team that people thought was the best going into week 2 - they're never going to be the 25-3 squad that flowed on NA because the level of competition is so much higher.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

That's what a good Gnar looks like. The game as a whole was a pretty disorganized mess though - these teams will be competing to avoid relegation.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Well, gently caress. First major roster change way earlier than expected, and it's more or less one that the thread had called out.

http://team-dignitas.net/articles/news/League-of-Legends/6587/Crumbz-steps-down-from-Team-Dignitas

It makes sense given his performance, but drat, did not expect it week 2. There's 13 minutes of it, but it sounds like communication and coaching issues and the fact that people weren't listening to him were prominent in making the decision.

Edit: "I was uncomfortable with the ability of my solo lanes. Even if I got them perfect ward coverage and it was a bully lane"

wodin fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 3, 2015

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Flameingblack posted:

Even better, his solo queue name is WHO IS HE

And "Catsexual" in case you ever wonder who the absurd only-Nidalee account smashing a random Challenger game at 2 in the morning PST is.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Ok, I wasn't really sold on Lustboy till now but that's goddamn hilarious (the caption is "when you're an ADC being supported by Pobelter"). It's definitely been cool to see fans embrace foreign players like XWX and now Lustboy.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Team Yell0wStaR-Inspires-Greatness vs. Team Racist Assholes was great. I wish I had one tenth Reignover's skill in the jungle, I'd probably be Diamond with a bullet.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

W5M1 - Liquid vs.WFX
W5M2 - Team 8 vs.Gravity
W5M3 - Cloud 9 vs.TiP
W5M4 - Dignitas vs.CLG
W5M5 - TSM vs.Coast

Biggest upset potential is probably TiP vs. C9, since C9 has looked mortal and TiP can snowball really hard based on the high individual skill levels. Closest match is probably Liquid/WFX - we'll have to see if putting KMcB in the starting lineup gives Liquid the new-player morale bump.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

rabidsquid posted:

The thing is Winterfox is bringing in their regular support and coach this week, but I don't know how long they've had to practice with the new setup. If it was a smooth transition I do think they'll win.

Actually that's a good point - is this going to be their first studio game with Korean comms?

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Team "what's a front line" vs. Team "Click button to engage" this should be interesting.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

That was a nice engage from Annie/Maokai.

More like #KEITHISFREE

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

That second Doran's Ring is completely loving with Impact - he keeps misjudging trades.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

4000g differential at 10 minutes. That's obscene.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Normally I'd be hype for Azingy, but Team 8 is running Gragas so they better loving win.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Wat: https://www.facebook.com/winterfoxgg/posts/964792280198888

tl;dr: Altec to Support, Paragon (current coach) to ADC

Why didn't they just bring back Gleeb? It seemed like that was a solid botlane.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Libertine posted:

I've been thoroughly underwhelmed by every Hecarim I've seen so far except for Keane's insane game he played on it Mid back in Challenger Series ages ago. None of the recent top lane Teleport/Ignite Hecarim's have done anything impressive in my opinion.

The play in the Samsung vs. GE Tigers games last night was pretty solid, but definitely showed the weakness of getting behind.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Calax posted:

5.6 patch notes are out. Buffs for EVERYBODY! (And nerfs to Leblanc and Irelia).

And singed gets a % max health damage added to his E. They are really embracing this Tank meta aren't they?

And Sejuani, who needed it. Very excited about the patch in general since it seems like the jungle is really going to be a lot of fun with a wide variety of playstyles.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Cue the speculation. I have no loving clue where he'd end up in Europe, so here's a breakdown of NA.

Who everyone will be talking about, but won't happen.
1) C9 - Obviously would be a mechanical upgrade, but given they've been doubling down on Hai with recent articles and the fact that Hai's the in-game caller I think it's probably unlikely.
2) CLG - Link is solidly above replacement level, but not dominant. Obviously putting a known volatile personality into a group that now seems to be at least partially characterized by good chemistry is a bit of a gamble, but given where they are it seems wise.

What makes sense, but is too broke to do:
1) Team 8 - would give them a second source of pressure to soak up ganks and let CaliTrolz get rolling to do his thing. Would be a huge upgrade in the position (below average -> theoretically above average). Problem is, I don't think they've got the money to actually buy him.

What probably happens:
1) Team Liquid - they have the resources to buy, FeniX has been decent but not world-beating (I can't find the drat stats site that actually tracks gold per game/etc), and they would be trading one foreign exemption for another.

Teams I wrote off:
TiP - XWX is the heart and soul of the team
TSM - When you've got the best, why settle for less?
Gravity - While Incarnati0n would be an upgrade over Keane, they seem to be another chemistry-driven organization.
Winterfox - Pobelter still needs an actual team around him to develop and to fix his consistency issues. At the exemption cap.
Coast - #dumpsterfire
Dignitas - At the exemption cap.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Zion has just been disgracefully bad on Vladimir this game.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Justice is served for Adrian using the ugliest Naut skin in a lane where he could have matched up.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

I mean, I get he's frustrated, but it's pretty over-the-top silly. He flops back and forth between 'you should pick winners, who cares about in-game skill' when advocating getting Saint instead of XSmithie and 'gently caress communication, choose only for in-game skill' when talking about some of the KR players. That being said, it definitely does seem like there might be some organizational issues that lead to some of this weirdness (particularly in speed of patch-to-patch adaptation, which is I think where CLG got hosed this time around). I guess we'll see how nuclear Hotshot goes on the roster in the offseason. I personally think he'd be sorta nuts to do anything other than maybe replace XSmithie or Link if an obvious upgrade appears, but I suspect we'll see more drastic change.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Seeing Oktoberfest Gragas reminds me the pretzels on his dash SFX still haven't come back. :(

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Libertine posted:

I legit fell asleep last night watching the NA CS finals. That's saying something. Grats on NME making it in, they all seem like good guys who haven't had a good chance before. I don't like their odds against the NA pool of teams but who knows.

I'm genuinely happy for Otter - he has been around forever but just never seemed to get over the hump till now.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

There's something to be said about not throwing out the baby with the bath water. CLG has some issues running deeper than the roster/coach, and solving those should be the priority before shelling out for Korean talent who might not work out despite paying a hefty sum of money for. Their performance in the league was generally very good but they fell apart at the end, like they've done with pretty much every lineup they've had since LCS started.

Yep. It's more or less a violation of 'dance with the girl that brung ya' - Scarra didn't fix every problem, but he created an environment where CLG players were actually happy playing and had the framework to succeed outside of patch adaptation. It seems like a pretty shortsighted move in my opinion.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Man, how callous do you have to be to use that as the opener to your conversation? Seriously, Charlie?

Guess I was wrong about Incarnati0n, sad to see Hai go. I haven't really had to deal with this kind of thing with eSports, but it doesn't feel much different than beloved players on actual sports teams leaving.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

Incarnation has looked drat good, to be honest. He was duo-queueing with Sneaky and mostly loving around but still winning handily (with the exception of one tragedy of a game). Watching him get annoyed and turn into serious mode when he dealt with an early DC that put him two levels behind as LeBlanc was something magical, though - he just murdered everything in his path.

Obviously it's hard to tell how solo queue translates to Competitive, but he certainly has the mechanical side down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

I guess this game is what SKT's A-game looks like. So many individual outplays.

• Locked thread