Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Saddest thing about Mt. Everest to me is that its littered with discarded trash now. People talk about how its such a beautiful place but then you see pictures of all the stuff climbers have left behind on it in their quest for the top. So yeah, even if you succeed in reaching one of the most remarkable places on the planet, in the process you've tarnished it further and ruined its natural splendor. The whole thing is a testament to greed. Spend a ridiculous amount of cash, get pulled up a slope, throw crap on it before stumbling back down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Please tell me this isn't real :smith:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Butt Wizard posted:

How the gently caress do these guides not just say "If you don't turn around now, you will die and your corpse will become an internet meme"? Like get to the top, take a few photos, set a timer, do something, whatever.

In the case of photoshop lady, her guide straight up did say she was going to die if she went up the mountain. Multiple times in fact. First, he refused to summit with her because he thought she would get herself and others killed. Then he dumped her in the hands of two inexperienced sherpas so he wouldn't have to deal with her. Later he ran into her on the way to the summit, saw she didn't have nearly enough oxygen to climb, and told her in no uncertain terms she was about get herself killed. She still didn't listen and well you know how that ended.

I don't really know what you're supposed to do about a person who refuses to turn back once your in the death zone, where its a struggle just to keep yourself alive. The obvious solution is to not let dumb people on the mountain in the first place but they need the :10bux:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SaltLick posted:

She'd probably have been fine if she didn't waste 30 minutes up there loving around.

She ran out of oxygen so early on in the descent that I doubt it even mattered. I mean it sure as hell didn't help her chances, but she was probably doomed the moment she decided to try to summit despite not having nearly enough oxygen to make it back down.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Rondette posted:

Yeah Touching the Void! Imagine crawling to what is possibly going to be your death with this stuck in your head.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GiX2PbrBXCQ

I watched that documentary and was horrified most of the time but still laughed when the guy said "bloody hell I'm gonna die to Boney M".

Really though I found it very interesting. I mean from the description of the whole ordeal you'd think the worst part would be falling on the mountain and barely escaping death. Then you have to watch this guy crawl for days across snow and dirt as his body gets torn up in the process. He's not just physically destroyed but also mentally because he's spent days alone going through torture for what he realizes is a hopeless escape attempt.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Pick posted:

I can't believe people give Yates poo poo for cutting the rope. I would have cut the rope like a million years prior, guy was drat near insane how hard he tried to save a doomed man with a broken leg.

I don't get this. What exactly was he supposed to have done? Partner breaks his leg on the mountain and can't climb, so he starts lowering him down the mountain to save him. Then they get stuck in a storm and can't see poo poo so he doesn't realize he lowered him into a pit. Either they both sit there and freeze to death or he cuts the rope and hopefully one of them lives. The choice seems pretty obvious. I mean it'd be debatable about what really happened if only Simon came back, but they both did. And Joe completely defends him when he's the poor bastard that got cut off.

Maybe you could criticize other stuff about their climb, but the response to Joe breaking his leg seemed appropriate.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Hermsgervørden posted:

India and Pakistan have gone at it on the Siachen Glacier at up to 22,000 feet. :gonk:

quote:

According to some estimates, 97% of the casualties in Siachen have been due to weather and altitude, rather than actual fighting.

There's something supremely ironic about more soldiers being killed by the land they are fighting over than the actual opposing force.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

A pusher robot... on a mountain!?

They're here to protect you from the terrible secret of Everest.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The entire reason I liked reading this thread is because there was a mix of funny posting about people gambling their life away on a rock and actual good stories about mountain climbing. I learned a lot about mountains and the experiences of professional climbers from this thread. A lot of goons also shared personal climbing stories which entertaining as well.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

AnxietyMan1488 posted:

The difference is, that they made funny videos with yakety sax in them and photoshops, etc., instead of posting gory pictures of the casualties and writing huge manifestos about how they deserved to die because they were probably rich.

There were funny photoshops of the dumb Canadian lady who photoshopped herself onto an easily accesible mountain as part of Everest "training" though. Also care to quote any of the posts full of gory pics? Cause the only corpses I've ever seen in here are ice mummies.

Its almost like you guys haven't even read the the thread you are whining about!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Magnus Gallant posted:

Hmmm except you are?

This is the weakest trolling I've seen in ages. "Oh you say you're not dumb? WELL HAHAHA YOU ACTUALLY ARE!!! drat I'm good. :smug:"

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really don't think anyone can criticize the Sherpas for bailing on the mountain when a lot of them have no idea if their immediate family is even still alive. There's gonna be people coming to help the guys stuck on Everest at some point. Some random family in a poor remote village getting help is entirely up to luck.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Was there anyone above camp 2 when the quake hit or had they not made it that far yet?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah for those that actually care, the reason most of us don't consider climbing Everest to be that big of an accomplishment is because its not actually a technically difficult climb. The extensive work done by sherpas to make the mountain as easy to scale as possible means that almost anyone can summit it. The difficulty comes from being stuck in a low oxygen environment for a long period of time. That's not really something you can overcome through determination or skill. Simply put, your brain won't get enough oxygen on the way to the summit so just being up there is slowly killing you, regardless of what you do. Getting up it is really just a question of how much money you have and how lucky you are with the natural hazards of the mountain.

Its a different story right now though given that the quake destroyed many of them lines that are normally used.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Madcosby posted:

I remember in Touching the Void, Joe Simpson talks about how solo climbers are kinda taboo in the climbing world, but I cant remember the logic behind why

Pretty sure it was because solo climbing is generally considered suicidal. If any goes wrong, you're basically hosed. When you climb with a group the odds of dieing horribly are significantly less likely, assuming you have confidence in the skill level of your partner.

Also I highly recommend the Touching The Void documentary. Its really interesting and morbid, but you don't even have to feel bad about it in the end because both of the guys miraculously got out alive.

Tralalalala :suicide:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I can't imagine the missing people being alive for the most part. I mean, if by this point you're not accounted for, that's probably because you got crushed under 20 feet of snow. Its a grim though but I really don't see how it could turn out better.

Maybe the missing toll includes all the people that fled off the mountain at the first chance?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Fansy posted:

thousands of locals are dead or missing but I'm only seeking out stories about the tourists.

"Why are you guys talking about Everest in the Everest thread???" :downswords:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It'd be even worse for Everest's PR if a group tried to climb it even after the recent events and then died to aftershocks. Which seems like a very real possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DumbparameciuM posted:

This strikes me as the correct attitude to have, not MEAT POPSICLES FOR THE MOUNTAIN GOD :ughh:

This is literally the first thing in the OP;

Rondette posted:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE-
poo poo got real in Nepal, 7.9 Earthquake which has devastated the region. The two days of tremors have sent Nepal's economy back by 10 years. Donate some money at these sites (more to be added.)

Live to Love (based in Nepal so best way to get money to the source)

Actionaid

Unicef

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Come on.

• Locked thread